• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Only in april, so maybe things will change, but is it even necessary to grind for the new classes? Like can't you just go through the game under the base classes with an occasional upgrade you lucked into and still do fine?

Dave1988 said:
Someone did an undub patch?

Yeah, someone named GraceK. I got my physical copy, so that makes me happy.

I asked before with no answer - how's the print quality on your box art? Is it bad? Or is this just another Canada-gets-it-in-the-ass thing?

I don't know why VC3 was announced so early, but whatever. I'm excited. And I'm still eager to play VC2 anyway. Played the first 15 mins of it and I'm reveling in the joys of nostalgia, and hope VC2 will be just as good as VC1.
please be...

Salaadin

thepotatoman said:
Only in april, so maybe things will change, but is it even necessary to grind for the new classes? Like can't you just go through the game under the base classes with an occasional upgrade you lucked into and still do fine?

I wouldnt say its necessary but youll want to do it...especially when you hit a point where someone only needs a Mrch II to upgrade but all of your current missions only give Attk II or Sppt II. Youre going to go find one thatll give you what you need so you can upgrade right away.

Some of the upgrades are too damn useful.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
I find Diplomas have a much higher drop rate than Certificates. The worst part about the game post-August is that if some of your people don't have Certificates yet, if you keep playing new missions from now on, there is a high chance they will end up getting a ton of Diplomas instead even though they STILL have no Certificates.

Am I the only person that is having no trouble getting credits? I have just started July and apart from Randy all of my original squad are upgraded, only a few of the new recruits are still in their base class.

With missions, first play through I try to get the ace (if there is one), second play through A rank it if required. I don't think I have played any mission more than twice so I wouldn't say I was grinding.

Did this happen to anyone else? Early on (march I think, maybe Feb) I got a tank turret called "Cptd AA Gtlg A1". It is still far more powerfull than any of the tank turrets developed in R&D. It seems kind of broken.

Giolon

Beat August last night. Holy shit that mission was hard! I scraped through with a D. Nobody was hospitalized, but quite a few people had to be treated for battlefield injuries and then sent back out a turn later! :lol

Seeing Juliana with some kind of V2 armor was the spoiler from the Gametrailers video review, so I knew that was coming at some point, I just didn't expect it here. Similarly, killing her off immediately upon gaining those abilities wasn't what I expected, though her death was spoiled by some asshole on the SEGA forums for me. I knew it was coming soon though as soon as she offered Zeri a popsicle. I didn't see the Leon is Dirk thing coming, but I probably should have.
Now this game really is Naruto. :-/

What I really want to know is,
where were Aliasse and Clementia during all of this?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
Yeah, someone named GraceK. I got my physical copy, so that makes me happy.

I asked before with no answer - how's the print quality on your box art? Is it bad? Or is this just another Canada-gets-it-in-the-ass thing?

I don't know why VC3 was announced so early, but whatever. I'm excited. And I'm still eager to play VC2 anyway. Played the first 15 mins of it and I'm reveling in the joys of nostalgia, and hope VC2 will be just as good as VC1.
please be...

The game is pretty good, it has flaws but it is quite excellent on some levels.

Salaadin

Do Medics still keep the tank repairing abilities of Engineer Vets?

EDIT: Why isnt it letting me accept the Mid Rank Tech Exam. It says I dont have anybody the necessary unit class...

Hcoregamer00

I just beat the August Mission and am 1 mission away from getting the September story mission:

Two Words: HOLY CRAP.

They killed 3 important characters right after the mission: Juliana, the dean of the academy, and the head of the rebels

As for the September Events:

It was pretty awesome when
Alicia revealed herself to be a Valkyria to Aliasse and shows her that a Valkyria can live in the light.
The scientist bitch pissed me off though
when she made the insulting reference to Selvaria as "the subject who ran away because she fell in love with a prince and died"

Sipowicz

Banned
so far in this game there is

-incest
-a crazy nun
- a king with learning difficulties who wants to bed three chicks a once

what the fuck is going on?

duckroll

Beat October while taking a shit today. Man. I take back what I said about the story not getting worse after August. October is the direct sequel to June. OMG SO BAD. :lol

Someone on the writing staff is either being really ignorant about color blindness and psychological trauma, or simply doesn't give a fuck and thinks making the story events as implausible and retarded as possible is a plus point.

OMG COLORS! SO PRETTY AVAN! HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB BITCH!!! :(

Ugh... and now... FOUR missions to grind through in November before I can get the story mission, even though right at the start of the month I'm informed about the story mission in a cutscene and told to "roll out immediately". Erm.... ugh. :(

Well, I have to say, undub rocks. JP voices sound so good in comparison. If the NA version had as good voice talent as RoF, I wouldn't have minded, but with this game, the JP voices seem almost like a requirement for the heavily anime-influenced storyline.

Are some of the Extras characters eternally weaker in stats than the main recruits? With the exception of Selveria and a couple others, everyone else seem pretty weaksauce. Do they get much better after some upgrades or something?

Also, do shocktroopers still get flame throwers? Or has that been totally eliminated to provide for the Tech class?

radiantdreamer said:
Are some of the Extras characters eternally weaker in stats than the main recruits? With the exception of Selveria and a couple others, everyone else seem pretty weaksauce. Do they get much better after some upgrades or something?

Also, do shocktroopers still get flame throwers? Or has that been totally eliminated to provide for the Tech class?

I hear Marina is deadly as a Sniper. I try not to use the VC1 regs (except for Isara) though...

As to your second question, the commando class gets the Flamethrower. But you're going to be waiting a while to use that if you just started out. The tank can be fitted with a Flamethrower too if you like.

Salaadin

Salaadin said:
Do Medics still keep the tank repairing abilities of Engineer Vets?

EDIT: Why isnt it letting me accept the Mid Rank Tech Exam. It says I dont have anybody the necessary unit class...

Anyone yet? That mission that it wont let me do is killing.

Pureauthor said:
I hear Marina is deadly as a Sniper. I try not to use the VC1 regs (except for Isara) though...

Marina rocks. I have noticed that Jann doesnt seem all that great though. I dont use the others much.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sipowicz said:
so far in this game there is

-incest
-a crazy nun
- a king with learning difficulties who wants to bed three chicks a once

what the fuck is going on?
Just came across the
incest
yesterday :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I just realized who Lotte reminds me of....

5vVWc.jpg

La Chilindrina.

duckroll

Salaadin said:
Anyone yet? That mission that it wont let me do is killing.

That probably means for some reason you don't have any Armored Techs or Fencers in your group line up at the moment. You get the mid-rank exam for a class once you upgrade a single unit in the third tier of a class tree. The only characters who can deploy in the exam are those of that class. Check your group edit.

duckroll

You guys bitching about Daws Desert? How about Daws Desert at NIGHT! :lol

Pick between everything beyond 2 fucking feet being invisible, or having AP Drain and fucking sandstorms! If you bring a lamp, you can see all the enemies, but the sandstorm causes all your snipers to miss anyway! If you bring a sprinkler, you can't see shit! Enjoy!!!! :lol :lol :lol

>_<

Hamblasto

duckroll said:
You guys bitching about Daws Desert? How about Daws Desert at NIGHT! :lol

Pick between everything beyond 2 fucking feet being invisible, or having AP Drain and fucking sandstorms! If you bring a lamp, you can see all the enemies, but the sandstorm causes all your snipers to miss anyway! If you bring a sprinkler, you can't see shit! Enjoy!!!! :lol :lol :lol

>_<

You could always go with the sprinkler and throw in a couple of guys who have the nocturnal potential.

Oh, just noticed. One of the spoiler tags in the first post is messed up.

Hcoregamer00

Speaking of Valkyrias from the September Events:

We all know that Alicia is a Valkyria, but should we believe the Anime continuity where Alicia is from the same facility as Selvaria and Aliasse or should we follow the game continuity where we still don't know shit about Alicia's background?

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
Speaking of Valkyrias from the September Events:

We all know that Alicia is a Valkyria, but should we believe the Anime continuity where Alicia is from the same facility as Selvaria and Aliasse or should we follow the game continuity where we still don't know shit about Alicia's background?

Errr... what? This VC anime thing sounds worse and worse each time I hear something new about it. Let's just forget it ever happened okay?

tenton

duckroll said:
Errr... what? This VC anime thing sounds worse and worse each time I hear something new about it. Let's just forget it ever happened okay?

There was an anime? No there wasn't. And especially not one that turned Welkin into a pussy, instead of just being an odd sort of fellow. And not one where they made a love triangle. And most certainly not one that
killed off Vyse

Hcoregamer00

tenton said:
There was an anime? No there wasn't. And especially not one that turned Welkin into a pussy, instead of just being an odd sort of fellow. And not one where they made a love triangle. And most certainly not one that
killed off Vyse

Don't forget turning Alicia from a regular "childhood friend" character to a tsundere.

Salaadin

duckroll said:
That probably means for some reason you don't have any Armored Techs or Fencers in your group line up at the moment. You get the mid-rank exam for a class once you upgrade a single unit in the third tier of a class tree. The only characters who can deploy in the exam are those of that class. Check your group edit.

I missed this earlier. Thanks Ill check that out.

I just beat the game. Im ready for VC3 now. Hurry it up Sega!

Mudo

I am considering buying this tonight but impressions seem to vary wildly. I loved the first game should I run out and buy it?!

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Don't forget turning Alicia from a regular "childhood friend" character to a tsundere.
This was probably the part about the anime that pissed me off the most.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I just beat the August Mission and am 1 mission away from getting the September story mission:

Two Words: HOLY CRAP.

They killed 3 important characters right after the mission: Juliana, the dean of the academy, and the head of the rebels

As for the September Events:

It was pretty awesome when
Alicia revealed herself to be a Valkyria to Aliasse and shows her that a Valkyria can live in the light.
The scientist bitch pissed me off though
when she made the insulting reference to Selvaria as "the subject who ran away because she fell in love with a prince and died"

I did this part today! I thought the scene with
Alicia
was very touching, but the whole thing with
Aliasse wanting to stay with Avan and Cosette
felt a bit forced since we honestly don't see more than a handful of interaction between them.

I am a bit sad that they killed off Juliana even though she was filling like three or four tropes at the same time (and filled another one when they killed her off!) I should've seen the Dirk thing coming, did you? I just kind of said "Oh what!?" about it. :-/ The killing of Gilbert though I saw coming as soon as Baldren was like "Wait, you agreed to what with the Federation!?"

Mudo said:
I am considering buying this tonight but impressions seem to vary wildly. I loved the first game should I run out and buy it?!
Depends on what you loved about the first game. If you loved it for the story and characters, then no probably not. If you loved it for the gameplay, then absolutely yes. If you hate grinding and randomized rewards, then maybe not...unless you're a masochist. :lol

On the whole it's very good - but the characters are far weaker and less likeable than the first game, and the randomized reward distribution is a real pisser.

SlickVic

Wow I had no idea it was possible to make an undub. I haven't been too big on the English voice work in this series so I was a bit disappointed to see the option for Japanese voices removed from VC2. Will have to check this out once I get the game.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Depends on what you loved about the first game. If you loved it for the story and characters, then no probably not. If you loved it for the gameplay, then absolutely yes. If you hate grinding and randomized rewards, then maybe not...unless you're a masochist. :lol

On the whole it's very good - but the characters are far weaker and less likeable than the first game, and the randomized reward distribution is a real pisser.

I disagree with you there, taking aside the dumb-ass lead character I think that the cast is just as strong as Valkyria, just as likable, and far more well developed than in VC1. The character story missions are wonderful because they bring a narrative with that specific character to an end and by the time you have reached that point, you have learned much about them.

If that is one aspect that VC3 SHOULD have from this game, it is the strong character development of anyone outside of the main cast.

Hamblasto

Hcoregamer00 said:
I disagree with you there, taking aside the dumb-ass lead character I think that the cast is just as strong as Valkyria, just as likable, and far more well developed than in VC1. The character story missions are wonderful because they bring a narrative with that specific character to an end and by the time you have reached that point, you have learned much about them.

If that is one aspect that VC3 SHOULD have from this game, it is the strong character development of anyone outside of the main cast.

While I still like the VC1 crew a bit more than VC2's, I agree with you on the development of 2's characters.

Except Vicky. Screw her.

LegatoB

tenton said:
killed off Vyse
You're joking about that last part, right? Right?

BJK

Anyone have advice on lining up shots with the flamethrower? Does the turrett do a full 180-degree sweep? It bugs the hell out of me that the actual range of the attack goes beyond the reticle they put up on the screen; can't tell you how many times I've untargeted characters (mostly foe, but occasionally friend) drop dead because I didn't know they were in range.

On some level, this is only a 'problem' when dealing with friendly fire (pun only mildly intended). It can make it difficult to plan out an order of attack when you're not sure if the opponent is too spread out to be hit, or how far off-center you need to line up the attack to hit multiple enemies.

The APC's flamethrower is really the only place where I've run into this problem....although I supposed it could also happen with Armored Techs and Gunners as well.

As for progress, I'm into May now, doing my best to keep shuffling the lineups to get as many characters as possible into their secondary classes before the Diplomas start showing up (not to mention, opening up the various character missions). I have entirely too many Engineers right now (...wasn't Susie supposed to be a scout?).

Despite the growing list of gripes, it's still more VC, which means it's still better than most other games...and that means I will be buying VC3 on Day 1 (NA).

AwRy108

Just popped in to say how much I'm enjoying this game; and I'm actually really glad the series landed on the PSP: being able to play one mission per lunch break is great!

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:

I just find it hard to care about this cast of high school anime rejects. They may get more development time - but it's just over all the standard tropes - and then there are those like Avan (MAIN CHARACTER!), Vicky, and Lotte who are beyond annoying.

I didn't really care much for the majority of the peripheral cast of VC1, so their lack of development didn't bother me (except Vyse and Fina are awesome!). Reading their unfolding biographies and epilogues in the Personnel section were good enough for me. Even then, most of them were just like "this person's was a dancer before the war" or "this guy's a farmer". Everyone didn't have some big secret they were hiding or a personality quirk (note - a single personality quirk does not good characterization make nor does it excuse your trope). I don't need or want to go out and teach a wimpy kid to be "more manly", help the moody artist overcome her creativity block, or help a kid in love
with his sister.

Welkin, Alicia, Rosie, Varrot, Ellet, Zaka (and to an extent the biggest tropers Isara and Largo) - I found all these characters charming and endearing and wanted to spend time with them. I can't say the same for about 90% of the cast for VC2, or even its principle cast. None of the villains of VC2 make as iconic a foe as Selvaria standing on the battlefield with her lance and shield at the ready. Dirk kind of did, but
the plot ruined that.
. Juliana could have, but
they killed her off 10 seconds after she got artificial Valkyria powers

One character that I surprisingly like more than I thought I ever would - is Aliasse. Her stupid loli bunny outfit hasn't shown up since the first cutscene, and she does fit the standard "raised in an cloistered environment" innocence stereotype, but watching her interactions with and learnings of the larger world are enjoyable to me.

Maybe if VC3 can come up with characters I can care more about, which it looks like they may have done, I'll enjoy the increased interactions more.

Hamblasto

Community BLiTZ Part IV is up!

It's hard to follow up the last set of codes, and RubyEclipse didn't try to. So now we have three codes for stickers.

Super Monkey Ball sticker - 7JMNHZ83TGH7XFKT

Yakuza sticker - QAKVXZTALF4TU7SK

Crazy Taxi sticker (Western Exclusive!) - 38WV17PK45TYAF8V

As usual, there's more previews of future DLC missions.

And Giolon, one of the spoiler tags in the character unlock section is messed up.

Giolon

Oops can't believe I messed up the spoilers. I fixed it, but am at work so will get to adding the codes to the OP when I get home or have a break.

Edit: All new codes added!

While I did find that VC1 main characters were endearing, I felt that the other side-characters just as endearing in their own right. Obviously they're not nearly as developed as the mains, but the voice talent, and the associated Potentials they had explained a lot about them. Their little quirks hinted at much more than what was written. Just because something isn't explained fully in their biographies doesn't mean there isn't anything implied. While it may sound like I'm grasping at straws there, it's not hard to imagine some of these characters' personalities being a little more than just characters with different faces.

VC2 on the other hand... :(

Nose Master

Aww, beaten. Still,
Selvaria :D
unlock!

Gross, she's a scout?

EDIT: Seconding the stickers stat request. I don't wanna bother piping in all those codes unless they're actually good. :lol

duckroll

Most productive 30 mins of VC2 ever! Selvaria got a certificate on the first random mission I used to try her out in, and then she got her Mrch X on the second short mission I replayed. Scout Vet in 2 missions, she doesn't fuck around! Also unlocked Sigrid and Mellisa's classmate missions while doing that. :lol

I'm only in feb, but do you really have to grind free missions multiple times just to survive?

I'm not planning on playing any one mission more than once.

Top Bottom