• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

RpgN

Hey guys, I'd just like to mention that I've received the game on my birthday on Saturday and I've managed to play 3 missions since then (due to being so busy with college). And I can say I'm happy to be around the second VC game! It's more lighthearted and I need to get used to the controls but I'm warming up for it. I'm going to try avoiding reading too much of this thread due to spoilers etc. It's nice to see the game getting so much better for you Hcoregamer00, how have you been girl?!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
:lol x 1000. Chloe should come along too. NEEDS MORE RED!

Chloe is awesome, but her potential is so annoying.

The game keeps erasing the wrong potentials for characters, it was the same thing with Maguri.

So maybe I just don't watch enough of the correct (or in this case, wrong) types of anime, but what's so annoying about Zeri, duckroll?

Giolon

pureauthor said:
Little Miss Moody got kicked to the bench once the Classmate mission ended and the wrong potential got erased. BAH
Hcoregamer00 said:
Chloe is awesome, but her potential is so annoying.

The game keeps erasing the wrong potentials for characters, it was the same thing with Maguri.
Indeed, but I REFUSE to use Lotte, DUDE, and sometimes Helmut's occupied! Melissa is my sniper and Nichol is benched for being so messed up in the head.

I haven't had Moody proc since I did her mission though. And OMG her double-movement potential. Sometimes you have to take a risk to get the reward. :)

Also, can one of you guys past June answer my question about Cosette?
Why is her being colorblind a big deal? I don't get it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
Indeed, but I REFUSE to use Lotte, DUDE, and sometimes Helmut's occupied! Melissa is my sniper and Nichol is benched for being so messed up in the head.

I haven't had Moody since I did her mission though. And OMG her double-movement potential. Sometimes you have to take a risk to get the reward. :)

My two main scouts are Chloe and Melissa.

Creepy stalker girl and volatile artist, what a weird combination :lol

Giolon said:
Also, can one of you guys past June answer my question about Cosette?
Why is her being colorblind a big deal? I don't get it.

Being colourblind itself isn't the issue, it's (another) side effect of the trauma of losing her parents. Basically it exists as a symbol of her issues that she can't work through. Being colourblind itself isn't that detrimental to treating wounds. (Unless the bottles are poorly labelled, then you're SoL I guess).

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
So maybe I just don't watch enough of the correct (or in this case, wrong) types of anime, but what's so annoying about Zeri, duckroll?

He hasn't killed Avan yet. That's enough reason to hate him. :p

In other news, Coleen is out of the hospital! <3 <3

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Aw man, Magari ditches Bookworm and not Stage Fright after her mission. I did a lot of grinding on that girl just to end up benching her. Them's the breaks, I guess.

Pureauthor said:
Little Miss Moody got kicked to the bench once the Classmate mission ended and the wrong potential got erased. BAH

Chloe too, huh? I got my hopes up after Coleen's mission that all the characters with crippling Potentials would end up going from ugly caterpillars to pretty, pretty butterflies after their special mission. No such luck, I guess.

duckroll

ixix said:
Chloe too, huh? I got my hopes up after Coleen's mission that all the characters with crippling Potentials would end up going from ugly caterpillars to pretty, pretty butterflies after their special mission. No such luck, I guess.

Coleen and Marion are the real heroines, so of course things are a bit different for them. Not everyone is a special unique butterfly who will defeat all enemies and save the day! ^_^

Salaadin

ixix said:
Aw man, Magari ditches Bookworm and not Stage Fright after her mission. I did a lot of grinding on that girl just to end up benching her. Them's the breaks, I guess.

I know Anisette keeps her stupid one that ditches all of her AP or something. "Im a star, not an athlete!!" Move!!!!

Zeri doesnt bother me much though I wonder why hes in Class G in the first place. Is it solely because hes a Darcsen? They spend the whole game touting "Class G sucks, blah blah blah" and then theres calm, collected, intelligent, and skilled Zeri being all awesome and smart.

Salaadin said:
I know Anisette keeps her stupid one that ditches all of her AP or something. "Im a star, not an athlete!!" Move!!!!

Zeri doesnt bother me much though I wonder why hes in Class G in the first place. Is it solely because hes a Darcsen? They spend the whole game touting "Class G sucks, blah blah blah" and then theres calm, collected, intelligent, and skilled Zeri being all awesome and smart.

Zeri
Mischlitt

and probably Helmut are just stuck in Class G because the Lanseal administration are dicks.

duckroll

Salaadin said:

Marion is rich, pretty, and good with weapons.
Coleen is popular with all the boys and a great lancer.
Magari is really smart.
Avan tops all his military tests and only flunks the written exams, and his brother is a hero.

There's no real reason for Class G's placements. It's very clear that they're not "the worst class" like a lot of the other students say, it's just a mentality the students have, and having no leadership and poor morale makes them lose at competitions against other classes. That's all.

On the flip side, they have people like Joachim, who managed to answer a question that was asked over an hour ago, and Erik, who pretty much has 'problem student' written on his forehead.

And that's not mentioning the parade of trainwrecks that are the new transfers...

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
On the flip side, they have people like Joachim, who managed to answer a question that was asked over an hour ago, and Erik, who pretty much has 'problem student' written on his forehead.

And that's not mentioning the parade of trainwrecks that are the new transfers...

Yeah but who's to say the other classes don't have morons as well? I think some of the Class A students definitely qualify. :p

Salaadin

duckroll said:
Marion is rich, pretty, and good with weapons.
Coleen is popular with all the boys and a great lancer.
Magari is really smart.
Avan tops all his military tests and only flunks the written exams, and his brother is a hero.

There's no real reason for Class G's placements. It's very clear that they're not "the worst class" like a lot of the other students say, it's just a mentality the students have, and having no leadership and poor morale makes them lose at competitions against other classes. That's all.

Thats true. I guess I never thought of it like that.

Avan has a brother? When do they tell us this?

There're definitely some allusions to it, but blink and it'll pass you by.

In other news, the main title theme is ear sex. Sakimoto <3

duckroll

Salaadin said:
Avan has a brother? When do they tell us this?

It's tucked away somewhere in the the corner of some text in the yearbook. Very minor detail. I'm glad they didn't make a big story deal out of this. It would be annoying if Avan mentioned his brother every other time he spoke after all...

So, does anyone have any experience with Trooper Elites? After seeing Marion in action as a Commando, I really can't imagine any benefit of making any of my Trooper Vets into Trooper Elites instead of Commandos. Maybe I'm missing something, would be happy to get some feedback on this.

Also, regarding Sniper Elites vs AT Snipers, if I make Marina into an AT Sniper, will she still be able to sniper human targets as well as she does not? It would be kinda strange if she does less damage to a human than a tank.... right?

Salaadin

What about Medics? Can they still fix tanks in addition to their ally reviving skills?
Also, whats more beneficial...Lancer Elite or Mobile Lance? Elites get such nice stat boosts but Mobiles can run far. Im stuck on what I should make Coleen.

Salaadin said:
What about Medics? Can they still fix tanks in addition to their ally reviving skills?
Also, whats more beneficial...Lancer Elite or Mobile Lance? Elites get such nice stat boosts but Mobiles can run far. Im stuck on what I should make Coleen.

As a rule, higher AP isn't that useful. No reason to go with Mobile, in my eyes.

duckroll

Salaadin said:

I wanted to make Coleen a Mobile Lancer originally, but she got the credits for a Lancer Elite instead. My experience with the Lancer Elite is that it has better stats and access to advanced AT lances (pretty solid damage), so basically they're much stronger Lancers. Since Lancer Vets already so pretty awesome damage against armored enemies in general, having a Mobile Lancer would probably be pretty handy for certain situations, but I personally haven't regretted making an Elite instead yet.

ixix

duckroll said:
Coleen and Marion are the real heroines, so of course things are a bit different for them. Not everyone is a special unique butterfly who will defeat all enemies and save the day! ^_^

Coleen's great, but Marion? She's a distant fourth place in the Shocktrooper Olympics behind Zeri, Franca, and Anisette.

There's not even a medal for fourth place.

Salaadin said:

Anisette's Unfit only reduces her firing accuracy. Considering that she's a member of the class that does not give even half of a shit about accuracy, it ain't much of a negative.

Giolon

@Pureauthor: Ah, thanks that explains it but
is that even possible to happen - spontaneous colorblindness due to seeing a traumatic event?

When do the 3rd tier classes open up?

duckroll

ixix said:
Coleen's great, but Marion? She's a distant fourth place in the Shocktrooper Olympics behind Zeri, Franca, and Anisette.

I see you love assholes in your squad. Carry on then! :lol

ixix

duckroll said:

Balderdash. If we're discussing general assholery then the racist, bourgeois weapons fetishist is by no means exempt.

Salaadin

ixix said:
Anisette's Unfit only reduces her firing accuracy. Considering that she's a member of the class that does not give even half of a shit about accuracy, it ain't much of a negative.

I could swear that she has something that kills her AP on the spot. Maybe I got hit with an AP reduction status effect from an enemy at the same time the potential went off which is why Im confused.

ixix

When proximity to a member of an ethnic group causes a person pronounced distress even amongst the tumult of a battlefield I feel comfortable in regarding that person as less than a model ambassador for race relations, regardless of whether said response is borne out of ignorance or malice.

duckroll

ixix said:
When proximity to a member of an ethnic group causes a person pronounced distress even amongst the tumult of a battlefield I feel comfortable in regarding that person as less than a model ambassador for race relations, regardless of whether said response is borne out of ignorance or malice.

But that doesn't happen to her. :)

duckroll said:
Most of my main team is comprised of assholes (Erik, Franca, Nahum, Vario) and yes I do love them.

I took a little break after August, I was really confident going into that mission and it completely obliterated me. I'm using a second squad now for experimentation and to clear out some of the old missions. Some of my initial rejects are starting to upgrade. My main team is all mid tier, don't have any top tier soldiers yet.

ixix

duckroll said:
But that doesn't happen to her. :)

Of course it does.
She just gets better at hiding it.

And don't even get me started on how her excessive enthusiasm for rebel armaments causes me to question where her true loyalties lie.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Are there any storylines for the code-unlocked characters, or are they just there to be there?

duckroll

ixix said:
Of course it does.
She just gets better at hiding it.

And don't even get me started on how her excessive enthusiasm for rebel armaments causes me to question where her true loyalties lie.

Her true loyalties lies with my special gun. The one in my pants.

Giolon

*cough* Ahem, back on topic: When do 3rd Tier/Elite classes open up? And are Diplomas as bad as Certificates?

Can Avan switch classes back and forth at will, or if I change his class is he stuck in that new class forever?
Also, the boobs in this game are way too big.

duckroll

Trent Strong said:
Can Avan switch classes back and forth at will, or if I change his class is he stuck in that new class forever?

You can keep changing his class as long as you meet the credit requirements. There are no requirements for base classes.

Hamblasto

Giolon said:
*cough* Ahem, back on topic: When do 3rd Tier/Elite classes open up? And are Diplomas as bad as Certificates?

I can't remember the exact month you start getting Elite level credits, but I'm in August and I was able to promote Mischlitt to a Fencer Elite. Also, most of many of my main troops are only two or three credits shy from moving up a class.

As for Diplomas, they're just like Certificates. Some people just seem to have better luck than others when it comes to getting ones for the units they want.

Giolon

Trent Strong said:

Avan can switch any time you want (provided he has the required Credits if necessary).
On boobs, its really only Juliana. She's the token giant boobs girl for this anime game. She's also got other stereotypes to fill (Perfect Bitch and Snooty Aristocrat).

Hamblasto said:
As for Diplomas, they're just like Certificates. Some people just seem to have better luck than others when it comes to getting ones for the units they want.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

ixix

So is there something odd about counterattacks from Gunners? Sometimes they don't counterattack an enemy within their range when they get attacked. I know they're in range because they're perfectly willing to use interception fire once the enemy stops attacking, and once I had one of them do an assist attack on the enemy that was attacking them the turn before without either of them moving an inch.

DarthWoo said:
Are there any storylines for the code-unlocked characters, or are they just there to be there?

Pretty sure they're just bonuses. They don't have any locked Potentials and I've never seen any scenes with Marina and Lynn even though I've used both quite a bit.

nico1982

I'm in October, nearly 60 hours in. Keep playing missions to level up the rearguard's characters and discover what I missed before, like the awesome Fencer (Alexis, in September).
The only issue with the game is that is just too easy. All my classes are level 20 or more, and even on level 35 missions the units take so little damage that I put engineers on the field just to level them up.

ixix said:
So is there something odd about counterattacks from Gunners?
I have only a single gunner, Anisette, and while she was rather powerful in May or so to take down armored foes like enemy fencers up close, is now rather useless. Chances to suppress more enemies at once are scarces, and for everything else a shocktrooper or commando is more effective, reliable and flexible in both assault and suppression. The gunner branch of the tree is dead to me, like the mortarer's, the tech's and the musician's one (sorry Sofia).

Hamblasto

Community BLiTZ Special Edition Day II is up!

Today's code is a Gallian Military Sticker. Meh.

However, if they get over 100 comments before 11 p.m. PST, they'll post another code.

NeoGAF, move out!

Edit: Turns out I'm a bit slow.

Edit 2: 100 comments reached! Damn, that was fast.

Giolon

Today's Community BLiTZ post is up and there's something VERY IMPORTANT you need to do:

If we get over 100 comments [on today's blog] from fans telling us the favorite characters you’d like to see again, we’ll update this blog with a second code, which will unlock one such character from the first game as a playable member of your squad in VCII!

So, get your asses over there and tell them you want Selvaria or I'm sending Edy to sing for you!

Edit: They gave us Faldio. :-/ GWNU95RSETW1VGNQ

There's also a new sticker code for a Gallian Military emblem: TXU14EUV74PCR3TE

Info added to OP and Post #5.

Top Bottom