• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Does leveling through the drill grounds actually do more than give members of that class more hp?

Hamblasto

Why do I have a feeling no matter who we mention, we'll end up with a code for someone like Faldio or Maximilian?

Edit: Ha ha! It is Faldio. I'm so amused/disappointed.

GWNU95RSETW1VGNQ

Giolon

Goddamn you, SEGA, they gave us Faldio: GWNU95RSETW1VGNQ

Hamblasto, you get a gold star.

Meh. Added to the OP.

But they did confirm Selvaria later in the week. :-/

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Faldio sucks. Not only are his potentials bad, he's also Faldio.

Giolon

ixix said:
Faldio sucks. Not only are his potentials bad, he's also Faldio.
:lol

Whoa, I just noticed this Japan pre-order sticker:

30kvxpk.png

I WANT IT!

I hope there will be a US code...

Salaadin

Just finished October. I liked that mission.
It was long and had a ton of points to take over. I ended up having Anisette and Morris planted in the same area with Baldren. He swung at her and she ducked but then the last standing tower cannon got her. My turn was up and I grabbed Morris and ran straight to Baldren. 3 swings of his sword and it was over.
Fencers are too damn good too. I cant imagine how he will be as a Fencer Elite.

I liked the story bits in October too. As predictable as it was, I like Cosette and was glad to see her overcome that.

RobertM

Marion is probably a freak in bed; she loves them guns. Marion, Anisette, and Lynn is my awesome Shocktrooper trio. It's bullshit that you can't do headshots while the enemy is crouching. I'm still on May, taking it really slow.

Lain

After finishing Ys 7 I started VC2.
Well, the start was lame. Or more like Avan is lame. It didn't take me longer than a couple phrases to get to dislike him (and his brother's book of quotes).
Zeri seems cool instead, and I kinda like Cosette.
Now, I have 1 simple question: is it possible to get an A on the school entrance exam mission? I got a B and would have liked an A, but don't feel like redoing it when I only have 1 save to work with.

RobertM said:
Marion is probably a freak in bed; she loves them guns. Marion, Anisette, and Lynn is my awesome Shocktrooper trio. It's bullshit that you can't do headshots while the enemy is crouching. I'm still on May, taking it really slow.

Anisette has a terrible voice. Marion, Lynn and Edy is a better trio, except that Marion is a racist (at least at first).

Hamblasto

I don't know if it's because the game has set my expectations for the story so low, but the end of August segments were actually... good.

Please tell me that it only gets better from here.

Ferga

Hamblasto said:
I don't know if it's because the game has set my expectations for the story so low, but the end of August segments were actually... good.

in my honest opinion... no. And i am easily captured by game stories...

duckroll

Hamblasto said:

It doesn't get better (I'm in October), but it doesn't get worse either.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
duckroll said:
Anyone who doesn't vote Selvaria is wasting a vote. Come on!
But she's already confirmed in the game... Why bother? Besides, Jane Turner kicks Selvaria's ass. Really, that's who took her out with a lovely headshot in my playthrough of VC. (With Sadism activated, it was glorious.)

duckroll said:
Coleen and Marion are the real heroines, so of course things are a bit different for them. Not everyone is a special unique butterfly who will defeat all enemies and save the day! ^_^

Except Marion's a filthy racist.

Giolon said:
Indeed, but I REFUSE to use Lotte, DUDE, and sometimes Helmut's occupied! Melissa is my sniper and Nichol is benched for being so messed up in the head.

I haven't had Moody proc since I did her mission though. And OMG her double-movement potential. Sometimes you have to take a risk to get the reward. :)
[/spoiler]

You need to switch out Chloe and give Lotte more of a chance. Moody is horrible, and Lotte gets a double move potential, too (and it happens for me often, it's amazing). So she's my main Scout, with Melissa almost always teamed up with Zeri. Nichol's my sniper because Helmut (like marion) is a filthy racist, so I don't use him.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hey guys, I got up to August after being stuck in March for a while. Here are my spoiler filled thoughts up to the story of August (of which I was so close to beating but my camp was stolen after I kill the boss FFFFFF).

Story up to now: The story is actually pretty good the pacing of the events are great.
My problem is the set up for the battle for the urban warfare chapters. I mean, Avan and Cosette are stupid enough by themselves to challenge the enemy all alone. Are you freaking stupid!!!! Not only that, that section capped itself off in stupidity when Avan shoots himself to snap Cosette out of here trauma with blood.
Aside from that stupidity, I think everything else is great. Beating
Julianna in the Levitan Cup is the greatest feeling ever because it really does feel like you earned it since she was so effing hard. August gets a huge plot twist when the academy was invaded, I was expecting something like that for the grand finale.

Soundtrack: Still amazing, the tracks are getting better :)

Gameplay: The gameplay is awesome, I love all the new classes. There is so much you can do with each one my standard team. I was even happier
that after the Levitan Cup that you can assign one of your team members a leadership position for that extra AP. I assigned Marion that position so I have a Leader Shocktrooper. All I need is another one so I can give Colleen the position of Lead Lancer.

Characters:

Avan: Just as I started to like him
he does dumb shit like run off with Cosette and shoots himself.
It is like the developers are intentionally making want to hate the lead character.
Zeri: He is freaking awesome, I like Zeri.
I think his notion of becoming a hero to change the hearts and minds of the people is a noble idea.
Cosette:
I could understand her fear of blood, but I don't get that she has color blindness due to it. Whatever the case is, I thought the twist was actually very well done. Her and Zeri make me want to believe that the trifecta of lead characters are good, but Avan holds them back
Marion: My favorite
Her twist as a gun nut is a great contrast to her personality as a rich girl. I made her my second lead the moment I had the option to.
Anisette: I don't know about you, but I find her particularly charming. I love her commentary when her potentials get used.
Juliana:
At first I hated her since she was a total bitch, but her character developed pretty well. At first she hated Zeri because he was a filthy Darksen. Then she starts to respect him intellectually. After getting her ass kicked in the games, his admirable defense of hers turns her grudging respect into full on love. What an unexpected pairing
Aliasse: As I said earlier, I find her character interesting. Her naivete is great and the way she connects with the main cast is pretty awesome. I hope she stays a "good guy" until the end.

My copy FINALLY arrived. Is it just me, or is the box art printed in pretty low quality? I think Resonance of Fate had this problem too?

Now, time to update my CFW, and get the undub...

Dave1988

radiantdreamer said:
My copy FINALLY arrived. Is it just me, or is the box art printed in pretty low quality? I think Resonance of Fate had this problem too?

Now, time to update my CFW, and get the undub...

Someone did an undub patch?

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
When Lord Duckroll has united the world under the banner of Queen Marion, you slanderers will be the first to be executed.

Not to mention that Marion
loses her "Darksen Hater" potential.
She really is the best, which is why she is my
second in command

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've only been able to play for 45 min a day for the last week or so, but man I'm still REALLY struggling on this damn April mission with Baldren.

The ramp up in difficulty has me puzzled like hell.

I managed to get him down once, but then a damn enemy snuck by me and got my base camp. I wanted to throw the game out the window at that point.

I think I've played this mission 30 times... and only recently have I figured out a semi-reliable way to hurt Baldren, so I'll share it.

I've been using the flamethrower on the tank, but if he notices me, I'll put the targeting reticule just out of his range. He still gets hit, but isn't officially a target, so sometimes he forgets to duck. So far it's worked pretty well for me.

I've got to try it again on the way home from work to see if I can finish this damn mission already.

Hcoregamer00

El_TigroX said:
I've only been able to play for 45 min a day for the last week or so, but man I'm still REALLY struggling on this damn April mission with Baldren.

The ramp up in difficulty has me puzzled like hell.

I managed to get him down once, but then a damn enemy snuck by me and got my base camp. I wanted to throw the game out the window at that point.

I think I've played this mission 30 times... and only recently have I figured out a semi-reliable way to hurt Baldren, so I'll share it.

I've been using the flamethrower on the tank, but if he notices me, I'll put the targeting reticule just out of his range. He still gets hit, but isn't officially a target, so sometimes he forgets to duck. So far it's worked pretty well for me.

I've got to try it again on the way home from work to see if I can finish this damn mission already.

I feel the same way on the August mission, fight hard-ass enemy and main base is stolen.

Here is my strategy for April: Get a Fencer and get REALLY close because he cannot dodge it when he is really close.

You people with your Marion obsessions, I mean I like her but goodness! (and she reminds me of a crazy ex...) To answer someone who asked, you will get an extra command point to give to someone else...but after the main game is done, sadly.

The three star missions so far are ok, but I found the Phantasy Star extra ones much better (with better rewards =p)...we shall see how the others play out, as the shop keeper has tons of extra missions to play, but are very pricey. (I spend my money on weapons, then missions) Can't believe I am 82 hours into this game...

Giolon

duckroll said:
When Lord Duckroll has united the world under the banner of Queen Marion, you slanderers will be the first to be executed.
HEAR HEAR!

So I finished July last night and am now in August. It felt really good to shoot
Juliana
in the face, though during the mission Marion got murderized so she's in the hospital for 3 days. T.T The boss used a Forced Charge order to walk across the whole goddamn man, slashed Marion in two, and then trampled over her downed body. I was helpless to prevent it. T.T

I SHALL AVENGE YOU MARION!

As soon as she gets out of the hospital, she's getting my 2nd CP.

I finally surrendered and bought the game, my thoughts while playing the first few missions:

- This isn't so bad after all, art is quite nice
- Ugh please button up your fking blazer
- Gameplay seems good :D
- Boobies :D
- Rest of class G sucks :/
- Where are mah foxloving-lonewolf-snipers T_T

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
HEAR HEAR!

So I finished July last night and am now in August. It felt really good to shoot
Juliana
in the face, though during the mission Marion got murderized so she's in the hospital for 3 days. T.T The boss used a Forced Charge order to walk across the whole goddamn man, slashed Marion in two, and then trampled over her downed body. I was helpless to prevent it. T.T

I SHALL AVENGE YOU MARION!

As soon as she gets out of the hospital, she's getting my 2nd CP.

What?

I came from being way behind you to being ahead of you :eek:

Nobodyspatzy said:
You people with your Marion obsessions, I mean I like her but goodness! (and she reminds me of a crazy ex...) To answer someone who asked, you will get an extra command point to give to someone else...but after the main game is done, sadly.

The three star missions so far are ok, but I found the Phantasy Star extra ones much better (with better rewards =p)...we shall see how the others play out, as the shop keeper has tons of extra missions to play, but are very pricey. (I spend my money on weapons, then missions) Can't believe I am 82 hours into this game...

Hey, I am not obsessed with Marion.

I like Marion, Cosette, Coleen, Zeri, Anisette, and Aliasse.

BomberMouse said:
I finally surrendered and bought the game, my thoughts while playing the first few missions:

- This isn't so bad after all, art is quite nice
- Ugh please button up your fking blazer
- Gameplay seems good :D
- Boobies :D
- Rest of class G sucks :/
- Where are mah foxliving-lonewolf-snipers T_T

I like you, for all the complaining about the art...some of the character designs in this game is REALLY GOOD.

Galactic Fork

duckroll said:

You mean, along with the Darcsens?

(Actually I just read she loses the Darcsen Hater potential, so I'll probably use her after that point in the story, I just wanted to make that last comment.)

I don't really have a favorite character in this one. Nobody that I really love like I did Jane in the first one.

The closest one I can think of is Melissa with her amusing Zeri obsession.
Am I the only one who likes Lotte, too?

Salaadin

Galactic Fork said:
I like him a lotte
I actually never used him, just wanted to make that joke

Im not a fan of Melissa. I actually cant stand when I see her peek around the corner. She kinda creeps me out :lol

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
What?

I came from being way behind you to being ahead of you :eek:
I've never been in this to race. I've got 37.5 hours logged if you want to use that as a gauge. I also don't turn on fast enemy turns unless I'm playing a mission I've already done (which I don't do too often unless trying to get specific credits for a character). I did waste about 5 hours way back trying to earn Alexis a Certificate to turn him into a Fencer. Gave up and just forced the Cert on the next story mission. :-/

Galactic Fork said:
Yes. I stuffed Lotte in a bag and threw her in the river.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
I've never been in this to race. I've got 37.5 hours logged if you want to use that as a gauge. I also don't turn on fast enemy turns unless I'm playing a mission I've already done (which I don't do too often unless trying to get specific credits for a character). I did waste about 5 hours way back trying to earn Alexis a Certificate to turn him into a Fencer. Gave up and just forced the Cert on the next story mission. :-/

There was never a race, I just found it amusing that I was stuck on March for the longest time and just barreled through the game once I beat that mission. If it makes you feel better, the August Story mission frustrates the hell out of me and was the first mission since March to give me a headache.

Salaadin said:
Im not a fan of Melissa. I actually cant stand when I see her peek around the corner. She kinda creeps me out :lol

Melissa is a stalker, she is supposed to creep you out :lol

Galactic Fork

Giolon said:
Yes. I stuffed Lotte in a bag and threw her in the river.

Come on! She's great! She gets her double movement potential but NEVER decides not to attack like some pathetic artist...

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Anyone know what purposes leveling serves apart from an extra 2hp per level? The manual was decidedly vague about levels.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Galactic Fork said:
Come on! She's great! She gets her double movement potential but NEVER decides not to attack like some pathetic artist...
'but im a pacifist'
everyone died because of her.

Hcoregamer00

Pandaman said:
'but im a pacifist'
everyone died because of her.

Chloe actually has a lot more with Susie than I thought because that quotation could (kind) of apply to Chloe and it does describe the worst in Susie.

Giolon

DarthWoo said:
Anyone know what purposes leveling serves apart from an extra 2hp per level? The manual was decidedly vague about levels.
Leveling classes unlocks new orders, and between leveling up and researching better weapons (that only do 2-3 more damage per shot per level), you'll notice a HUGE difference if you take your higher level, better equipped troops back to earlier missions. You won't notice much difference as you progress b/c the enemies are leveling up too. You're barely able to keep up.

Galactic Fork said:
Except her artwork and voice make me want to punch her in the face, and then the throat.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Chloe actually has a lot more with Susie than I thought because that quotation could (kind) of apply to Chloe and it does describe the worst in Susie.
Which is making me sad b/c I like her. :( Moody hasn't screwed me over too badly but the potential is there (no pun intended). I may bench her for Sigrid.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Leveling classes unlocks new orders, and between leveling up and researching better weapons (that only do 2-3 more damage per shot per level), you'll notice a HUGE difference if you take your higher level, better equipped troops back to earlier missions. You won't notice much difference as you progress b/c the enemies are leveling up too. You're barely able to keep up.

Yup, missions that were once so difficult are very easy to get A's at once you get better weapons and level up. Like in a real war, there is an arms race between you and the rebels, and playing through a "current" mission pretty much puts you on par with your enemies. Which means that tactics and strategy is king for the current mission because you are either on par with them or at a strong disadvantage.

Giolon said:
Which is making me sad b/c I like her. :( Moody hasn't screwed me over too badly but the potential is there (no pun intended). I may bench her for Sigrid.

Same here, Chloe is awesome, especially once you beat her character mission. To be fair, I find 95% of the entire cast to be likable on some level (including the Villains). It would be easier for me to label characters I don't like, and unfortunately it does include many of the stupid "transfer students" that come after Chloe.

I think I beat the final August mission by pure luck because of some kind of bug. Just by chance I put Avan in a weird position where
Dirk
kept firing at him every phase, but could never hit him. So for the entire mission
Dirk
never once moved around the map at all. He stayed in the same place the whole time, trying to shoot Avan and missing. Of course, I still got a D on that horrible mission.

Hcoregamer00

Trent Strong said:
I think I beat the final August mission by pure luck because of some kind of bug. Just by chance I put Avan in a weird position where
Dirk
kept firing at him every phase, but could never hit him. So for the entire mission
Dirk
never once moved around the map at all. He stayed in the same place the whole time, trying to shoot Avan and missing. Of course, I still got a D on that horrible mission.

That is better than having a gang of fencers smash his ass, and then a V2 runs over and steals your base after you just killed him.

:(

Hamblasto

Honestly, I don't know how I A-ranked that August mission.

I remember leaving Armor Techs crouched at both base camps. It kept the V2s from taking the base since they would just waste shots on the Techs without moving forward. It also bought me some time to kill
Dirk
and clear out the other areas with Shocktroopers.

Five turns, but an assload of retries.

Giolon

:lol I assume you're posting that about VC3. If not, I'm interpreting it that way anyway.

Edit: But let's try to keep the drama over in its own thread. I will say though - I'm a lot less enthusiastic about playing VC2 right now...

Salaadin

Lets say that Fencer Elite needs a Diploma and Mauler needs a Diploma. If I upgrade to Fencer Elite, do I lose that Diploma and have to get another one?

Hamblasto

Salaadin said:
Lets say that Fencer Elite needs a Diploma and Mauler needs a Diploma. If I upgrade to Fencer Elite, do I lose that Diploma and have to get another one?
Yep! Just like Certificates.

Giolon

Awesome! It's August and Diplomas are the new Certificates!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

(And I STILL can't get certain people to win Certificates, even though they're on the rewards list now...goddamn you SEGA)

duckroll

I find Diplomas have a much higher drop rate than Certificates. The worst part about the game post-August is that if some of your people don't have Certificates yet, if you keep playing new missions from now on, there is a high chance they will end up getting a ton of Diplomas instead even though they STILL have no Certificates.

August Mission... spoilers, kinda?

Due to a couple of bad calls and not knowing that Dirk could counterattack you from halfway across my map, I ended up having to dogpile Dirk and beat him senseless bit by little bit. At the end of the mission the report told me I had let 6 people get KO'd, all from fighting that single guy. And the people who survived weren't in the best of shape either.

Top Bottom