• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Facism

Massively annoyed the sequel is on PSP, but i guess i'll have to bite and then sell the thing + VC2 back to GAME when i'm done with it.

That's if sega actually bother to localise the game in the first place, we all know Yakuza is never coming :(

Totobeni said:

What the hell is wrong with you?

100yen.jpg

Be gone!!!

DangerousDave said:
Yep. But, well, MGS3 is a prequel, also :p

But all we got the impression that the series moved to PSP instead of continuing in PS3, even unconsciously, because of the 2.

For example, there will be a new Resident Evil, unnamed, in PSP. If the game gets named Resident Evil Extinction, the people will be fine. But if that game get's named Resident Evil 6, a lot of HD console owners will commit seppuku :p

*koff* Dragon Quest XI *koff*

Hobbun

TheChillyAcademic said:
I think I still have about 2000 members left, I'm gettin there.

Whats your take on this Hobbun, being the VC fan you are?

Well, I gave my take on it earlier. But it was pretty much summarily dissmissed and labeled as 'whining' with everyone else who prefers it to stay on the PS3.

Look, for those who are happy to see it hit the PSP, I am happy for you, I really am. However, please respect mine (and others) desire for it to stay on the PS3.

I am sure the original team will do a great job with it on the PSP, but it is still not the same experience (and I feel downgrade) as it was on the PS3.

Hobbun said:
Well, I gave my take on it earlier. But it was pretty much summarily dissmissed and labeled as 'whining' with everyone else who prefers it to stay on the PS3.

Look, for those who are happy to see it hit the PSP, I am happy for you, I really am. However, please respect mine (and others) desire for it to stay on the PS3.

I am sure the original team will do a great job with it on the PSP, but it is still not the same experience (and I feel downgrade) as it was on the PS3.

I'd certainly love another entry on the PS3 but, imo at least, this move isn't too surprising. I certainly don't have any sales age knowledge but I'm positive the sales of the original game were no more then lukewarm. The fact that we're even getting another game in this series seems like a miracle to me.

Hobbun

TheChillyAcademic said:
I'd certainly love another entry on the PS3 but, imo at least, this move isn't too surprising. I certainly don't have any sales age knowledge but I'm positive the sales of the original game were no more then lukewarm. The fact that we're even getting another game in this series seems like a miracle to me.

Oh, I agree. I didn't say what I hope is realistic (in making it to the PS3). But it is still disappointing.

Oh well. I'll probably still check it out. If it reaches the states, that is.

Woo nice.

Bit disappointed it's not on PS3, but hopefully they'll make another one for it after the PSP versions all said and done.

Still I welcome more Valkyria.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TheChillyAcademic said:

I think that's how I'm looking at it. It could come to the iPhone for all I care, at least the franchise isn't dead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Has this become a Star Wars Prequel thing now?

I mean, I dislike the prequels as much as anyone else, but the original trilogy is still there - with Han Solo shooting first - so... yeah. :lol

If it's good in spite of some early art, then great. If it's bad, well... you can replay the tsundere-moe Selvaria missions again and pretend that it never happened.

Mudkips

Banned
VC2?
FUCK YES!

PSP?

My gaming wallet cannot support another platform. So I'll go ahead and bitch about the art style, the game->anime->game cycle, and otherwise try to justify not getting it.

At least it's still alive. Maybe I'll pick up a used PSP if this hits the US.
If I buy the game digitally, it's tied to my PSN account, right?

N-Bomb

firehawk12 said:
I think that's how I'm looking at it. It could come to the iPhone for all I care, at least the franchise isn't dead.

What's the point of a franchise if it doesn't serve it's purpose? I guess you're a big fan of the kiddy direction Star Wars has taken recently?

Forgot to add - no franchise should outlive its usefulness. Bad games (not saying these will be) should not be defended simply because of the name they have on the box.

radiantdreamer said:
*koff* Dragon Quest IX *koff*

Yeah, that's the problem.

For me, DQ IX has been the greatest dissapointment in this generation. No worries about the DS (I own one, and it will be still a day one), but I expected a game with the production values of, at least, DQ VIII, in PS2 or Wii, or even better, in HD consoles, with anime graphics quality, jap & eng full voices, a lot of cinematic or ingame scenes, even some DLC, etc...

And I think that it will be a pity if VC is downgraded forever (no problem about a spinoff, but i don't like it for all the next VC games) to a handheld game, without the amazing graphics and voices of the first one. The only thing of DQ IX that I want for Valkyria Chronicles is the sells :p

El-Suave

DangerousDave said:
And I think that it will be a pity if VC is downgraded forever (no problem about a spinoff, but i don't like it for all the next VC games) to a handheld game, without the amazing graphics and voices of the first one. The only thing of DQ IX that I want for Valkyria Chronicles is the sells :p

Apart from it not being in glorious HD and DD 5.1, I don't see many things that would need to be downgraded for the PSP platform. That's unless Sega wants to downgrade for budget reasons. The PSP can deliver "full" God of War, Metal Gear and Gran Turismo games - I'm sure it is capable to bring us a worthy Valkyria Chronicles experience, if Sega wants this game to be one.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
El-Suave said:
Apart from it not being in glorious HD and DD 5.1, I don't see many things that would need to be downgraded for the PSP platform. That's unless Sega wants to downgrade for budget reasons. The PSP can deliver "full" God of War, Metal Gear and Gran Turismo games - I'm sure it is capable to bring us a worthy Valkyria Chronicles experience, if Sega wants this game to be one.

Very true, Valkyria Chronicles 2 (as long as there is a budget behind it) could offer the full experience with plenty of voice acting, production values, and even polish the gameplay.

N-Bomb said:
What's the point of a franchise if it doesn't serve it's purpose? I guess you're a big fan of the kiddy direction Star Wars has taken recently?

Don't be silly, Star Wars has become a shadow of its former self and, well, it can never go back to what it once was. While VC has some Star Wars esque elements, the series isn't nearly big enough to have any sort of "direction" lol The PSP has done some great things with some of Sony's biggest franchises (GOW, FF, Syphon Filter,) and I have confidence that this will be no different. VC was a great, non Sony, PS3 title, I look forward to this entry....to an extent.

Hcoregamer00

TheChillyAcademic said:
Don't be silly, Star Wars has become a shadow of its former self and, well, it can never go back to what it once was. While VC has some Star Wars esque elements, the series isn't nearly big enough to have any sort of "direction" lol The PSP has done some great things with some of Sony's biggest franchises (GOW, FF, Syphon Filter,) and I have confidence that this will be no different. VC was a great, non Sony, PS3 title, I look forward to this entry....to an extent.

Yes, if anything, you guys should be happy that VC2 was announced for the PSP since it exposes a larger market to the game. It is this same market that will be more receptive to playing the original on the PS3, or other potential sequels on home consoles.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes, if anything, you guys should be happy that VC2 was announced for the PSP since it exposes a larger market to the game. It is this same market that will be more receptive to playing the original on the PS3, or other potential sequels on home consoles.

And who knows, if this game is DD only or DD option, we may get more Additional Content since, most of the time, developing for the PSP is cheaper and easier then the PS3.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
RpgN said:
Did you even play VC?

yeah ...why ?

3725068548_ef5f1ca7f3.jpg

I just want the best for VC as a series and SEGA ya know , Valkyria Chronicles will die if it stay any longer with PS3 , but with PSP and other systems like Wii or DS in the future it will be a bigger and more popular .

Foffy

Banned
I'm happy that the game is getting a sequel, but I do worry that the fantastic art style from the original will be compromised in some fashion for handhelds, which was one of the more interesting visual styles of a game this generation.

The artwork for the game looks terrible so far. It's like they hired the artist that butchered Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin.

I'm glad I'm getting the PSP-Dissidia bundle in August. I loved VC and can't wait to play this one, though I would have preferred it to be on my PS3.

Hcoregamer00

Totobeni said:
I just want the best for VC as a series and SEGA ya know , Valkyria Chronicles will die if it stay any longer with PS3 , but with PSP and other systems like Wii or DS in the future it will be a bigger and more popular .

I am probably one of the biggest defenders of the PSP release on the forum, but even I would not go that far.

There is no mention of a Wii or DS release of the game, and don't assume so until it is announced.

klee123

Totobeni said:
other systems like Wii or DS in the future it will be a bigger and more popular .

Yeah...................no.

It did 200K overall in Japan and for a new IP, and besides White knight it outsold practically every single new IP Jrpg in Japan on consoles. Add the fact that it's an srpg as well, which usually sells less than jrpgs.

Userbase =| Better sales.

Shadow780

Totobeni said:

e5n4tf.jpg

Totobeni said:

Gustave_Dore_Inferno32.jpg

zoku88

DangerousDave said:
Yeah, that's the problem.

For me, DQ IX has been the greatest dissapointment in this generation. No worries about the DS (I own one, and it will be still a day one), but I expected a game with the production values of, at least, DQ VIII, in PS2 or Wii, or even better, in HD consoles, with anime graphics quality, jap & eng full voices, a lot of cinematic or ingame scenes, even some DLC, etc...
It almost sounds like you wanted DQ to not be DQ...

Totobeni said:

:lol wat.

Okay seriously. I can't say I agree with the concept of "larger install base = more sales, longer lifespan of an IP". Larger install base only = more POTENTIAL sales. If a product sucked (NOT Valkyria Chronicles btw, don't read between the lines), it doesn't matter what system it's on. It will sell exactly the same number of units.

Likewise, if a product is good, the install base is only a cap. If they expect to sell more copies of a game than there are systems, THEN install base becomes more important. It's only games like FF7 and MGS4 that moved systems where it becomes a little more important.

TSA said:
It could be worse...

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Valkyria_Chronicles_Cosplay/

Oh wait...oh no...oh I can't stop watching...oh dear lord it's like a live action AMV...

(Yes, I took the vid from earlier...it deserves a repost)

:lol The dance number is terrible, but man, those costumes look kick-ass authentic. That's how it's done right! (can't say the same for the Selveria and Jager ones though)

zoku88 said:
It almost sounds like you wanted DQ to not be DQ...

I agree. I like the concept model of DQ9. It's like it's proving a point.

I can see why the concept of VC 2 or 3 on DS is laughable, but why not on Wii? Hell, if it's acceptable on PSP, then it's more than acceptable on Wii.

P.S. Hard Skirmishes are hard.

P.P.S I popped in my game recently and got an update (just connected my PS3 to the internet). What does the update do?

Darkpen

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Raita is either the artist or the circle of artists. I remember looking at Valkyria the first time, and Selvaria in particular, and thinking the style was really familiar but ultimately wrote it off. The moment 2D art surfaced, I was like "Oh it's Raita!!" and totally shocked that they did the design for the game. Can't say if they got a homepage or not.

Still waiting for the artbook to come out in Japan.
セガ「戦場のヴァルキュリア2 ガリア王立士官学校」(2/3)価格未定 追加
 ・プロデューサー:田中俊太郎 キャラデザ:本庄雷太 音楽:崎元仁 アドホックモード対応
Producer :-Tanaka Shuntaro Chara Designer :- Hounjou Raita Music :- Sakimoto Hitoshi Ad Hoc Mode inclusive
?

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=288395&page=4

Better translations have surfaced, but this stuck out. Its nice to know that Sakimoto is on board for music, but is that the same character designer as VC1?

The new scan w/ the character class changing is interesting, along with what they've done to the gameplay, but I don't feel assured :(

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
I thought the way the character's grins/mouths looked similar.

I still don't approve though >_>

The main protagonist's character archetype will probably imitate Ichigo from Bleach or something, I swear.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Darkpen said:
I thought the way the character's grins/mouths looked similar.

I still don't approve though >_>

The main protagonist's character archetype will probably imitate Ichigo from Bleach or something, I swear.

:(

:(

I rather dislike the new Vallkyria's look. I know Selvaria had large breasts, but I honestly didn't notice them much until I looked at her character profile. This iteration seems a little more... in your face with the sexuality. Even the medic seems more fanservice-ish.

Meh.

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
the voice for the main protagonist is the same guy that did Natsuki Minami in Minami-ke

natsuki.jpg

And his Darcsen friend is voiced by the guy who did the main character/teacher guy in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. The medic girl is voiced by the same person who's credited to voicing Gan-chan and Yatterman no. 1 in the recent release of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, amongst a variety of anime like as the voice for the main boy in Potemayo and Tatiana in Last Exile, so its a bit tough for me to imagine what kind of voice she'll actually bring to her character (too much range!).

・コンセプトは学校+戦争
Games Concept :- School Life + War
  アバンたちは士官学校に在籍しているが、普段は通常の学生たちと変わらない生活を送ってい る。
  彼らが戦場という非日常世界を行き来するのが本作のコンセプト。
Game will focus around how the officer cadet's life gets turn around when they thrust into the battlefield.
  学校内にある作戦準備室でミッション選択をし、戦場へ。戦況は前作と同じで出撃前のブリー フィングで確 認可能。
The school will act as a mission briefing room where the player choose to select missions before proceeding with oen.
  勝利条件を達成、ミッションクリアすると舞台は再び学校となり、これを繰り返しながら進ん でいくことに 。
After a mission is complete, Player will return to the school. Such the the way the player will proceed with the game.
 ・インタビューより
Interview :-
  より広いユーザーの皆さんに『戦ヴァル』の魅力を知ってもらいたいという思いからPSPで リリースする ことに。
The producer made this PSP release knowing the charm of VC1.

新作とするにあたって醍醐味のひとつである戦闘システム『BLiTZ』をより遊び応えのあ るものにパワ ーアップ。
The new work will featured a upgraded version of the popular BLiTZ battle system.

特に自分の部隊の成長やカスタマイズ性を大きく強化。
The growth system will be better since the player will be able to customise their characters.

またアドホックモードの通信プレイに新しい遊びの可能性を感じたのも大きな理由のひとつ。
An Adhoc mode is included to allow room for new ways to play the game.

本作をナンバリングタイトルとしたのは我々の本気度をユーザーに知っていただきたいから。
Producer wants the player to know that they are serious about this game being a true sequal,

単なるスピンオフ作品ではないし携帯機だから質を下げるつもりは無い。
This game is not just a spin off and the fact that this is on a handheld does not mean the game has been downgraded.

ミッション数は前作の数倍に。ユニット育成要素も奥深く。
The number of mission has increased from the previous title. And the number of units accessible for growth is vast.

本作でも水彩画のような映像表現のCANVASを採用し、
  携帯機と思えないクオリティに仕上がるようこだわって制作中。
They are still making use of the CANVAS system, but they tried to work it into a manageable level that can be handled by a handheld.

ゲーム内で時間が流れると季節が移り変わり、季節ごとに学校行事が発生したり(プールもある) 、
  制服が変化するといった要素もあります。
Time will be shown passing in the game by the way the students are dressed for the seasons, events happening and how the Pool is.
huh...

Most of that sounds awesome, past the whole school life thing, which I still find to be too much of a Japanese entertainment media story premise fallback.

Sorry, I was just catching up on the thread.

Dice said:
I feel bad that I just kind of dropped this game. I had everyone maxed out and I was on
that stupid level where the huge ship chases you and you have to divert it
and I just stopped. I really, really hate stuff like that--almost as much as I hate it when makes make you "protect" somebody.

That's a damn shame, that's one of the easiest and shortest levels in the game.

gokieks said:
Those characters don't actually need to be dead, just reduced to no health - if you save them by having another unit reach him/her and calling in the medic, or finishing the battle before an enemy unit reaches the body or too many turns pass, the associated characters will still show up.

Good thing they return on subsequent playthroughs, heheheheheheh...

Top Bottom