• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Darkpen

Banned
...looking at the new scan, I'm still kind of impressed by the in-game screenshots. It really looks like VC, but with a different HUD.

There's something that looks like one of those anti-aircraft missile things, but I could be wrong.

I wonder if they're going to have talking character-art portraits, instead of 3D models, for those talking head cutscenes.

Lain

Reading those pieces of translation, I'm getting more and more interested (or rather, getting more of a feeling that it will be a game I'll like).

Wow,
Alicia is unstoppable when you level up the scouts a bit.
I just finished the two chapter 15 battles using
her
almost exclusively.

Not a spoiler per se... but I'm just covering my ass.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, it's still Canvas... so really, no worries. :lol

You know, what would be kind of cool is if there was some interoperability. Like maybe you can play the PSP missions in the original VC... or at least do something like the whole Resistance 2 thing where you can play VC2 through VC on the PS3.

Giolon

I never thought I'd meet the announcement of a sequel to Valkyria Chronicles with such ambivalence. More VC can only be a good thing right? Aside from the fact that I don't own a PSP (yet, though I have easy access to a friend's and have used it to play stuff like Crisis Core and GoW Chains of Olympus), I just can't get excited about the series going to a handheld. I had a such a great experience with VC playing it on a big screen TV with a home theater system - experiencing the gorgeous water color graphics with the sounds of battle echoing all around me was something unique. That's just not something that can be shrunk down. The PSP's only capable of essentially last gen graphics, so I'm not expecting the artwork to translate over perfectly.

And now the character designs seem to have changed for the worse (horned, scantily clad, whip-toting Valkyria? ugh), and are patterned more after the inferior anime series than the first game. The story of the original I found greatly personal and touching too. The premise of focusing on life at the military academy worries me that it's going to turn into a Persona-esque high school drama (which are games that I enjoy, but don't want my VC turning into clones of).

So, I don't know...I just don't see this going down in a way that I will enjoy. I can see why SEGA might want to do it for the increased user base of the PSP, but they're moving the series away from an experience that I greatly, deeply enjoyed. VC was my personal runner up for GOTY last year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I enjoyed the VC story as much as everyone else, but how was it that different from any typical anime storyline? Especially when everything was pretty much painfully choreographed from the first cutscene?

There's also the fact that half the soldiers in the game were tweens or teens. How is that any less ridiculous than what is surely only concept art in a magazine?

batbeg

FlightOfHeaven said:
That's a damn shame, that's one of the easiest and shortest levels in the game.

Eh. Easy, yeah, but certainly not short. I also wasn't entirely sure if you were meant to specifically time the blockades, and thus had to repeat the mission near the end. It was tied for my worst mission of the whole game, alongside the one where Alicia and Welkin escape through the forest.

Giolon

firehawk12 said:
I enjoyed the VC story as much as everyone else, but how was it that different from any typical anime storyline? Especially when everything was pretty much painfully choreographed from the first cutscene?

There's also the fact that half the soldiers in the game were tweens or teens. How is that any less ridiculous than what is surely only concept art in a magazine?

Having teens down to the age of even about 14 or 15 I don't see as entirely unrealistic in a setting where your country is under attack by a large force and militia participation is a civic duty. I admit, the participation of some of the ones who appear to be around 10 or 12 are a bit of a stretch. For the most part, those tended to be characters I disliked and didn't use :lol The ages don't concern me, it's the comments about focusing on military academy life in the scan pages that do. We know that Welkin and Faldio were off at university receiving officer training among other things. I don't feel we really need details of their dorm life (like the anime unfortunately decided to spend time delving into).

My concerns about character design for the sequel center largely on the slutty appearance of Valkyria in the lower right corner. The fact that the designs adhere more closely to the style of the anime series instead of the first game also concerns me because I greatly prefer the style of the game (in character facial proportions, coloring style/level of detail).

DR2K

Banned
firehawk12 said:

I suppose when you look at the characters in VC1, their designs are more subtle compared to the typical anime designs. Sure some characters were out there, but the main cast in particular isn't as. . . how shall I say it, flamboyant as the magazine scans.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll agree that the Valkyria in the scan looks idiotic, but I'm just hoping that has been exaggerated for effect more than any representation of how she will look in the game itself.
But anyway, it's not like Selvaria didn't have ginormous bouncing breasts. :lol
There's also Jann, who is memorable mostly because he fits into the effeminate buff gay character that appears in every other anime.

I also understand the fear that this'll end up being Harry Potter Chronicles, but it's possible that the "academy" is just a hub where you do your upgrades and select troops, just like in the first game.

I'm willing to hate this as much as everyone else if it turns out to be crap, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt right now.

batbeg said:
Eh. Easy, yeah, but certainly not short. I also wasn't entirely sure if you were meant to specifically time the blockades, and thus had to repeat the mission near the end. It was tied for my worst mission of the whole game, alongside the one where Alicia and Welkin escape through the forest.

Definitely short. You only have to block two paths; a total of 4 timed bombs you have to activate.

I did it in 4 or 6 turns.

Darkpen

Banned
firehawk12 said:

The difference is how explicit the scan is versus the game. In the game, the main cast formed by people who are generally beyond highschool age with exception to Isara who's 16, but even so she's very mellow and a strong figure. Welkin's 22, and Alicia's 19.

The characters in the new game are all 17, they're explicitly in a school environment, and that's just begging for overwrought story tropes, unless they go and surprise me.

Its the difference between tsundere face-making Alicia in the anime, and the more motherly Alicia in the game, that has people alarmed. The producer said that he's well aware of the appeal and charm of the game, but I'm still wary.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the game. I just hope SCEA freaking releases Adhoc party for the US store by fall :/

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
Wow,
Alicia is unstoppable when you level up the scouts a bit.
I just finished the two chapter 15 battles using
her
almost exclusively.

Not a spoiler per se... but I'm just covering my ass.

When I ran through the game a second time that was pretty much my go-to move as well

Hellion

Hcoregamer00 said:
Good news, of course people should still tone down the hyperbole.

I am getting sickened by all your negativity.

We should be happy that Valkyria is getting more games, and that SEGA is trying to turn it into a major franchise.

Hopefully in the future we get a 360/PS3 iteration, since having it on one console will be a shame.

The Anime and new School theme + chracter look are the wrong direction. IMO

Darkpen said:
huh...

Most of that sounds awesome, past the whole school life thing, which I still find to be too much of a Japanese entertainment media story premise fallback.

This.

batbeg

FlightOfHeaven said:
Definitely short. You only have to block two paths; a total of 4 timed bombs you have to activate.

I did it in 4 or 6 turns.

What? You have to wait for the damn thing to make it to the end of the level, that's what's annoying. 4 to 6 turns even (if that's what it is, can't remember for sure) is painfully slow, especially on a second-playthrough where everything seems to be a breeze anyway.

Vespene

I must say, as an ardent fan of the first game, I was more disappointed in the direction of the game's art style than the move to PSP.

Still, if this is what it takes for the series to continue, then so be it.

Buy the first game right now, keep it unwrapped, and store it in some corner of your living space. It will be the next Chrono Trigger in 15 years, selling for thousands on eBay.

Wrote this months ago regarding that:

http://www.gametrailers.com/users/vespene/gamepad/?action=viewblog&id=441628]

falastini

After playing through the complete game many months ago, I only recently became aware that the "news stories" I was buying from the reporter chick was actually opening up new cut scenes in the previous chapters :lol .... oh well, I guess I'd have something to look forward to if I ever play through the game again.

GT Vespene said:
I must say, as an ardent fan of the first game, I was more disappointed in the direction of the game's art style than the move to PSP.

Still, if this is what it takes for the series to continue, then so be it.

Buy the first game right now, keep it unwrapped, and store it in some corner of your living space. It will be the next Chrono Trigger in 15 years, selling for thousands on eBay.

Wrote this months ago regarding that:

http://www.gametrailers.com/users/vespene/gamepad/?action=viewblog&id=441628]

Nice article. But I would have to disagree with you. Not a fanboy "OMG nothing can beat Chrono Trigger LOLZ" type of disagree.

One of the major differences is that Chrono Trigger did turn JRPGs on its head in the most impressive of ways. CT made a splash, while VC unfortunately, only made a ripple. And I don't mean that based on sales. While VC is evolutionary, it is by no means revolutionary. CT on the other hand was completely different from any other RPG of its time.

Sure VC does some different things from other TBS games, but it's not a huge departure. VC basically had one real unique element, the gridless 3rd person perspective combat, and built the entire battle system around it with nothing else to bring to the table. Didn't Dragon Quarter do something like that too? CT on the other hand, brought visible enemies, companion combos with area-centric attacks. The entire system was incredibly fleshed out and feature completely different from the classic FF-based RPG.

Storywise, VC was a little different and refreshing from the usual fanfare, but it wasn't mind-blowing to the scale that CT had with all those different endings and everything.

I love VC just as much as you, but I think your article is a little bit biased. I think that Disgaea 1 had more of a chance to become ultra expensive and rare in a decade (if NIS never reprinted a bazillion copies and started milking the IP of course).

dumbass_

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Nice article. But I would have to disagree with you. Not a fanboy "OMG nothing can beat Chrono Trigger LOLZ" type of disagree.

One of the major differences is that Chrono Trigger did turn JRPGs on its head in the most impressive of ways. CT made a splash, while VC unfortunately, only made a ripple. And I don't mean that based on sales. While VC is evolutionary, it is by no means revolutionary. CT on the other hand was completely different from any other RPG of its time.

Sure VC does some different things from other TBS games, but it's not a huge departure. VC basically had one real unique element, the gridless 3rd person perspective combat, and built the entire battle system around it with nothing else to bring to the table. Didn't Dragon Quarter do something like that too? CT on the other hand, brought visible enemies, companion combos with area-centric attacks. The entire system was incredibly fleshed out and feature completely different from the classic FF-based RPG.

Storywise, VC was a little different and refreshing from the usual fanfare, but it wasn't mind-blowing to the scale that CT had with all those different endings and everything.

I love VC just as much as you, but I think your article is a little bit biased. I think that Disgaea 1 had more of a chance to become ultra expensive and rare in a decade (if NIS never reprinted a bazillion copies and started milking the IP of course).

I can not disagree more with this post, the article he made was nice to read and not biased,i agree with the most of it but your argument that VC is not revolutionary doesn't make sense

You claim that VC is not revolutionary because some other game have done the 3d perspective before then you go ahead and talk how amazing and revolutionary CT is and list things that CT didn't invent at all and was there long before CT in other games.

FF7 was not the first 3d rpg but it did set the standards and it was revolutionary in doing so,same with VC it is the new standard for 3d SRPG.

I wont argue about story because you are comparing SRPG(Focus at gameplay) vs JRPG(focus at story) but i can guarantee you that VC storyline is considered very good for SRPGS and the presentation is one of the best cross all games not only rpgs

If you think "Revolutionary" = who did it first then you will end up with 95% of crappy games that is listed revolutionary

For example The 7th Saga is an rpg from enix that was released 2 years before chrono trigger that had visible enemies, does this means CT is not revolutionary? nope

P.S : i love CT+CC and they are revolutionary to me [yes even CC go away haters]

Angeles said:
I can not disagree more with this post, the article he made was nice to read and not biased,i agree with the most of it but your argument that VC is not revolutionary doesn't make sense

I think that this is a totally debatable topic, and each of us may have our own opinions on things.

It's also cool to play devil's advocate (not saying you are).

You claim that VC is not revolutionary because some other game have done the 3d perspective before then you go ahead and talk how amazing and revolutionary CT is and list things that CT didn't invent at all and was there long before CT in other games.

There's definitely some sort of magic with CT, and I believe my attempt at explaining what it is may be inadequately weak. You're also kinda twisting my words into something arguable, I think? If what you're saying is true, then why is CT awesome? Perhaps it just did it right? Maybe CT also had the proper marketing muscle and star-studded developers?

FF7 was not the first 3d rpg but it did set the standards and it was revolutionary in doing so,same with VC it is the new standard for 3d SRPG.

Did FF7 really set the standards? I dunno...

I wont argue about story because you are comparing SRPG(Focus at gameplay) vs JRPG(focus at story) but i can guarantee you that VC storyline is considered very good for SRPGS and the presentation is one of the best cross all games not only rpgs

Hmmm... I quite enjoyed the story for FFT (PS1). I think that was really well done. To me, FFT wins in terms of a good SRPG story.

If you think "Revolutionary" = who did it first then you will end up with 95% of crappy games that is listed revolutionary

For example The 7th Saga is an rpg from enix that was released 2 years before chrono trigger that had visible enemies, does this means CT is not revolutionary? nope

P.S : i love CT+CC and they are revolutionary to me [yes even CC go away haters]

So I guess what you're saying is that unoriginal ideas can still make a game revolutionary. I couldn't agree more then! CT did it right then. They took existing elements and made it somehow work together really good.

I guess then VC did the same. They did take some existing elements and made it really good. Can you say that it's just as good as what CT did? Most of us here can say "yes", and I'm actually on that boat (mostly). But I'm a bit skeptical - when CT came out, everyone jumped on it. When VC came out, most peoples' response was "I'll wait for a price drop." Why is that? Then what makes it revolutionary?

(man! Don't make me turn on that CC hate! :lol )

Random update:

I'm rather close to getting the Randgriz Crest of Honor, which means I'll finally be done with this game.

The Hard skirmishes are really rather interesting, something to test and try my fully leveled squad. The mainline battles are rather laughable now; I simply stack Defense, Caution, and Awaken Potential onto Alicia, and I can complete many maps in a turn or two.

What does the update 1.20 do, though? I recently connected my PS3 to the internet and it prompted an update. I hear there are Expert level skirmishes?

Gosh, I hope not. I've already put way too much time into this game. : (

Darkpen

Banned
Hard Ex is paid DLC, of which I've yet to actually play, despite buying it alongside Edy Detachment and Behind her Blue Flame, lol

I really should play Hard Ex. Trailer shows tons of awesome imperial weapons :S

gokieks

FlightOfHeaven said:
What does the update 1.20 do, though? I recently connected my PS3 to the internet and it prompted an update. I hear there are Expert level skirmishes?

DLC support. Expert skirmishes are one of the three DLC packs available ($5 each).

dkeane

Anyone going to Comic-con? Sega has this on their flickr account as a giveaway.
Valkyria Chronicles Art Book - http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/3730875232/

ghdQQl.jpg

Shoot.

I'd highly consider purchasing the EX. I just finished the game. I mean, finished. Got all the decorations.

EX sounds more of my style (which is, annihilate everyone and everything). Hard missions, once I realized the goal is just to capture the flag, became much easier, and the difficultly levels were inconsistent. Naggiar Plains took me a good two hours to get an A on (repeated restarts) while East Vasel took me a good 5 minutes once I realized the easy path to victory.

That said, the flexibility in how you accomplish your goal in this game impressed me. After each battle, I checked various online guides and videos, and no one did it the exact same way. For example, in the first skirmish, some used a flamethrower, a smoke grenade, mortars, or lancar shots to break the defense on the bridge. I think I was the only one to use the flamethrower, though.

That's just one part of a Hard Skirmish. Kudos to the game; there's usually an optimal set up, and there's probably one in this game, but it does allow for great variety, partly thanks to the class level up system.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Giolon said:
I never thought I'd meet the announcement of a sequel to Valkyria Chronicles with such ambivalence. More VC can only be a good thing right? Aside from the fact that I don't own a PSP (yet, though I have easy access to a friend's and have used it to play stuff like Crisis Core and GoW Chains of Olympus), I just can't get excited about the series going to a handheld. I had a such a great experience with VC playing it on a big screen TV with a home theater system - experiencing the gorgeous water color graphics with the sounds of battle echoing all around me was something unique. That's just not something that can be shrunk down. The PSP's only capable of essentially last gen graphics, so I'm not expecting the artwork to translate over perfectly.

And now the character designs seem to have changed for the worse (horned, scantily clad, whip-toting Valkyria? ugh), and are patterned more after the inferior anime series than the first game. The story of the original I found greatly personal and touching too. The premise of focusing on life at the military academy worries me that it's going to turn into a Persona-esque high school drama (which are games that I enjoy, but don't want my VC turning into clones of).

So, I don't know...I just don't see this going down in a way that I will enjoy. I can see why SEGA might want to do it for the increased user base of the PSP, but they're moving the series away from an experience that I greatly, deeply enjoyed. VC was my personal runner up for GOTY last year.

I can understand that the game's presentation is one of the reasons why so many people enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles (I love the sound and visuals as well), and I can see how the move to PSP might be a disappointment, but I really doubt that this game will swerve so far away from the original to the point that you can't enjoy it.

Obviously you're going to lose a lot of cinematic quality, but there's still plenty of opportunities for the developers to make it a stronger game in other areas. The PS3 game had a lot of areas that I felt were a little lacking, all of which could be addressed with a PSP sequel.

It seems a little premature to completely write it off.

Until it's announced that Big the Cat and his frog thing will be the guest stars this time round, at least. :p

ianp622

FlightOfHeaven said:
Shoot.

I'd highly consider purchasing the EX. I just finished the game. I mean, finished. Got all the decorations.

EX sounds more of my style (which is, annihilate everyone and everything). Hard missions, once I realized the goal is just to capture the flag, became much easier, and the difficultly levels were inconsistent. Naggiar Plains took me a good two hours to get an A on (repeated restarts) while East Vasel took me a good 5 minutes once I realized the easy path to victory.

That said, the flexibility in how you accomplish your goal in this game impressed me. After each battle, I checked various online guides and videos, and no one did it the exact same way. For example, in the first skirmish, some used a flamethrower, a smoke grenade, mortars, or lancar shots to break the defense on the bridge. I think I was the only one to use the flamethrower, though.

That's just one part of a Hard Skirmish. Kudos to the game; there's usually an optimal set up, and there's probably one in this game, but it does allow for great variety, partly thanks to the class level up system.

Get it. It's not just a higher difficulty. The layouts change, you don't have a tank, you don't have orders, and you'll get ripped to pieces if you charge ahead. You have to think ahead a lot more, and sometimes you'll have to change your unit placement. Just don't do what some people do and save every attack, it will just make it a chore. If you have to retry any shot you miss, you're doing something wrong.

gokieks

dumbass_ said:
Anywhere i can buy that?

Try ebay. It's billed as an artbook, but really would more accurately be described as a pamphlet, and so really isn't all that great (though I'm still glad I got it from pre-ordering).

FlightOfHeaven said:
I rather dislike the new Vallkyria's look. I know Selvaria had large breasts, but I honestly didn't notice them much until I looked at her character profile. This iteration seems a little more... in your face with the sexuality. Even the medic seems more fanservice-ish.

Meh.
Can't wait for the panty shots.

Actually I can.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I just picked this game up (Got it for a great price, 39.99 Canadian, woo) - and I was about to start it.

Does GAF have any startup tips? Things I should know when I start playing without really spoiling too much, like "Don't kill that guy on level 4, you can recruit him if you throw magic fairy dust at him".

patsu

IMHO, it is better to go in blind and learn along the way. The first few chapters are not difficult.

Only a few tips:

* The old man in the cementary is a godsend. Trust him !

* Snipers su*k big time at the beginning but if you invest in them, they will become your guardian angels eventually... like lvl 9-10 and above.

* You don't have to grind if you don't want to. Try switching strategy.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kinitari said:
So I just picked this game up (Got it for a great price, 39.99 Canadian, woo) - and I was about to start it.

Does GAF have any startup tips? Things I should know when I start playing without really spoiling too much, like "Don't kill that guy on level 4, you can recruit him if you throw magic fairy dust at him".

Don't worry about anything like that. Just start playing.

dumbass_

Banned
My advice for you is enjoy the game and ignore the ranking system
After you finish the game you will get NewGame+ mode and you can pretty much get S class in all of them easily because you get to keep your levels/equipment after you finish the game

Narag

I picked this up a couple months back and just started two days ago due to just not getting around to it. Amazing game so far and I'm so impressed with how the gameplay is presented. As I said in the NPD thread, this is the first game since probably Mass Effect that I wish I'd been around for at its launch. Good times.

Shai-Tan

Banned
My tip is to not save too much. It sucks the fun out of the game. The game is very forgiving in that you can evacuate downed allies and then bring them back in the same battle. Only save when you feel you've made progress or find yourself in a tight spot and want to try different strategies without starting the mission over.

ianp622 said:
Get it. It's not just a higher difficulty. The layouts change, you don't have a tank, you don't have orders, and you'll get ripped to pieces if you charge ahead. You have to think ahead a lot more, and sometimes you'll have to change your unit placement. Just don't do what some people do and save every attack, it will just make it a chore. If you have to retry any shot you miss, you're doing something wrong.

Hmmm. Once I get a real internet connection for the PS3 (I had a very inconvenient and temporary set up) I'll highly consider doing so.

Has anyone played Selvaria's and Edy's extra missions? Are those fun?

Oh, and to those that start playing:

- Always, always save your EXP for the Old Gentleman at the cemetery. If he teaches you an order, learn it! His orders are kickass. Then go level your troops.

- I'd highly recommend leveling increased range/accuracy for Scouts, clip size for Shocktroopers, increased damage for Lancers, and increased accuracy for Snipers. Whenever you can, though, prioritize increased armor/blast armor for all of your troops. Cheap and very effective.

-Increase health/armor for your Edelweisse whenever you can. That'd be the most important thing. For add ons, increase def/health/accuracy.

-The best thing for the Shamrock is the Flamethrower. The machine gun isn't that useful (Shocktroops are meant for that) and the Shamrock's cannon is heavily outclassed by the Edelweisse's or a normal Lancer unit. The Flamethrower is unique in its huge range and damage, being doubly useful being equipped to a tank (can charge through the front lines to deal with anything; Lancers, crouching Shocktroopers, bunkers, Gatling Turrets, AT Turrets). Moreover, when positioned correctly, the Shamrock can jam any units it didn't kill on the opponent's turn with its machine gun.

-I'd recommend a stock of 5 Scouts, 5 Shocktroopers, 5 Lancers, 3 Engineers and 2 Snipers. For specific recommendations, I used mostly:

Alicia, Ted, Wavy, Aika, Mousaad (Mousaad not available until Game+)
Rosie, Hannes, Vyse, Lynn, Jane, Salinas (Lynn requires Karl [Engineer] to be K.O'd once)
Largo, Jann, Hector, Elysse, Audrey (Audrey joins upon obtaining 10 medals)
Nadine, Karl, Homer
Oscar, Marina

I have more than 20 there, but I'd rotate people in and out as needed. These are by no means the best troops; they generally have no negative potentials, or ones that don't affect them severely. Also, I like their attitudes & personalities for the most part. I avoided people with bad personalities, like Cezary, any Darcsen Hater, Knute, ect. There are others, but I forget their names.

I actually killed off Cezary to get the Splintered Horn medal.

-I'd recommend upgrading Engineers and Scouts first and foremost, mostly because Engineers are cheap to level and do a multitude of things, plus they need the added buffs to simply survive. Scouts get a grenade launcher at level 11, which is one of the more useful abilities in game. That, combined with the Rifle Accuracy upgrades, makes these two classes great, great soldiers to use for extensive cover fire.

- Avoid leveling the status changing weaponry upgrades, with the possible exception of the Rifle iteration. Even then, I found that it's much more reliable to kill the enemy outright instead of inhibiting them.

-Use trenches and sandbags to extend the range of your character by hopping over them; AP is not used when you do so.

- Be aware that your character will primarily notice units in front of them. Shocktroopers, for example, will let enemies run behind them scot free. Keep this in mind when finishing a movement with a character. Scouts are the exception; they have 360 degree vision.

Finally, don't worry too much about ranking! Honestly, it's much, much more fun to play "how it's meant to be played" than to play for ranking. For Chp. 17, without giving too much away, you're supposed to capture all enemy bases and then proceed to the final objective. There's an alternate strategy that's much more effective but no where near as fun.

You'll get your chance to destroy the opponent with easy on Game +, and get your A rankings then. Which is also fun, in it's own way.

I should know, I played through it thrice. : p

Edit: Oh, save before each battle (there's no soft reset/start this battle over option unless you outright fail). Sometimes, the tide of the battle just turns against you in a very ugly way, and there'd be no real way out of the mess you found yourself in. It happened to me once or twice during my first playthrough.

Edit 2: Yay, people are talking about the game again!

I'd also like to point out to someone who quoted me earlier; I rather liked the rather mature designs for this game, aside from Selvaria's bust. I didn't need overly sexualized nymphos running around to attract me to this game.

I needed Vyse and Aika to do that.

But seriously, what a breath of fresh air.

dumbass_

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Has anyone played Selvaria's and Edy's extra missions? Are those fun?

Selvaria pack is the best one hand down just buy it and try not to research much about it [when you buy it mastering all early missions S rank unlock new mission for you which many people do not know]

EX-Hard mode is totally worth it if you want more "Valkyria" all maps is redesigned kinda strategic wise and you can not rush it

Edy Pack is fun but it doesn't worth 5$ , i would say just watch the youtube video of this single mission (If you liked it buy it i guess or if you crazy Valkyria fan :lol )

For me EX-Hard is the way to play valkyria , normal mode was so forgiven specially for people who spammed orders combined with personal traits of their units

Narag said:
I picked this up a couple months back and just started two days ago due to just not getting around to it. Amazing game so far and I'm so impressed with how the gameplay is presented. As I said in the NPD thread, this is the first game since probably Mass Effect that I wish I'd been around for at its launch. Good times.

Glad you liked it, you can still be around the launch time of Valkyria Chronicles 2 :D

Yes, you can! Although you can use him as a kamikaze unit on any given map; just send him out to do something unpleasant where there's a high chance something... unfortunate can happen to him, oh ho ho ho.

ianp622

Just got an A on Upper Fauzen on Expert. It took me a couple times to get the setup right, but after that, I liked having to negotiate different parts of the map with different characters. It's really a cool dynamic that wasn't in the main campaign. The next level (the beach) seems to be a similar layout. For example, Rosie and Alicia are trapped by mines, so they can only be released by having an engineer defuse the mines. In Fauzen, Largo was the only unit that could get close to the tanks, so he was mostly just moving around and destroying them. (After killing 5 tanks with him, I found that Lancers aren't as inaccurate as the targeting reticule makes them out to be.

Bought this game today, got about a few hours in. I was absolutely loving it until Chapter 4 wherein I've hit an absolute goddamn brick wall. I don't think I've ever personally encountered such a massive difficulty spike, and I don't know whether I just really suck at strategy games or what. It's the mission where they have to take the Bridge, and I've literally been digging away at it all night, attempting it over and over, from about 8pm to this moment (it's 1am here). I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but every single strategy I try fails, and even online guides don't seem to be helping. I might have hang this one up and accept defeat, but I don't want to because it's such a beautiful, likeable game. Any tips, GAF?

Façade

Neo Member
Itchy//Tasty said:
Bought this game today, got about a few hours in. I was absolutely loving it until Chapter 4 wherein I've hit an absolute goddamn brick wall. I don't think I've ever personally encountered such a massive difficulty spike, and I don't know whether I just really suck at strategy games or what. It's the mission where they have to take the Bridge, and I've literally been digging away at it all night, attempting it over and over, from about 8pm to this moment (it's 1am here). I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but every single strategy I try fails, and even online guides don't seem to be helping. I might have hang this one up and accept defeat, but I don't want to because it's such a beautiful, likeable game. Any tips, GAF?

This might help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovyZIt_CJ0o

I also got this game today, haven't played much so far but looking forward to the bigger battles.

Top Bottom