• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Volodja

That's just not right, can you take a video? Sounds like something is majorly mess up with your game
I've restarted the new game + and I haven't gotten to it yet and I also think that the comparison would be hard to make because of the weapons difference.
I just don't use shocktroopers basically because against infantry Scouts are a one turn kill anyway and against Armor they have proved themselves to be useless for me.
The effectiveness of interception fire at higher framerates also makes using the flamethrower and in general approaching to make the most out of their weapons really costly most of the times.

Unai

Is Rosie like 10x as strong as the other shocktroopers or something?

And what other weapons am I supposed to be using? :/ I dont have any options except the minor differences between the first branching path.

I never have any CP to spare in this battle. I didn't realize that Largo could give me another one, though, so that will help.

I just used the default weapon.

Keep in mind that you have to be close. If you are shooting from far they will be less effective.

Edit: Whops, I see you are already close.

Volodja

This dude is making it more complicated than it needs to be (IMHO) by using 3 units, but he uses no orders at all and does it in 2 turns. (Spoilers obviously)
Watching this video I was pretty surprised by the damage on his attacks with Vyse. I then realized that it wasn't a team attack with the other 2 troopers too and that was his damage alone and...yeah...there's an issue here. Most definitely.

I may do a test if I ever get back to that chapter and turn the limiter to 30 fps to see if this is another one of those stupid issues, but it should affect everyone, not just some.

Durante

I may do a test if I ever get back to that chapter and turn the limiter to 30 fps to see if this is another one of those stupid issues, but it should affect everyone, not just some.
I played that mission (like the whole game so far) at 60 FPS, and if anything I had an even easier time than the guy in the video.
(Unless you play at more than 60?)

Volodja

I played that mission (like the whole game so far) at 60 FPS, and if anything I had an even easier time than the guy in the video.
(Unless you play at more than 60?)
No, I'm playing at 60 and I think too that it's probably not that but trying to limit it at 30 for a bit won't cost me anything if I ever get to that point again, I can just save on the turn I'm going to attack and do a few checks.

ive tried limiting to 30, but unless you do it through the games settings it doesnt help the fire rate issues, and if I set it in the games settings I get mad tearing

I keep fiddling with radeon pro to try and remove the tearing while the game is in 30 FPS limit, but no luck so far.

Chariot

So, I just recorded myself doing mission 9 in one turn. Sorry for the crap quality, I barely know how to work with the program. Obviously I have endgame units, so Kevin here is doing a bit more damage and has a lot more HP than the shocks at your level had. However I made it with the same method in two turns and I didn't even had Caution and had to live with Defense which is arguably a tad bit weaker.

Also: dat double attack.

Falk

that puzzling face
ive tried limiting to 30, but unless you do it through the games settings it doesnt help the fire rate issues, and if I set it in the games settings I get mad tearing

Interesting. If it's not dependent on actual frames being displayed, do you think the issue is then directly connected to multipliers initiated by toggling the config that was put in as part of the process of making the game work at 60? That seems plausible, which is good news because it means a fix is probably a lot more straightforward than if physics/etc were directly tied to number of frames.

Interesting. If it's not dependent on actual frames being displayed, do you think the issue is then directly connected to multipliers initiated by toggling the config that was put in as part of the process of making the game work at 60? That seems plausible, which is good news because it means a fix is probably a lot more straightforward than if physics/etc were directly tied to number of frames.
not sure exactly, but if I left the config on refresh rate, limited the frames to 30 in radeon pro, then enabled double vsync, the game was 30FPS but half speed. If I swapped double vsync with regular vsync while still using radeon pro 30FPS limiter it ran at 60FPS rate of fire.

So I dont believe thats the exact case since I was able to get that half speed issue

on the other hand, the entire game was half speed, not just fire rate or anything, so its not exactly the same as 60 FPS rate of fire issue. So your thought could still be right

Falk

that puzzling face
The entire thing honestly feels like the game was originally designed to work on frames (as opposed to time slices) and the port was a bunch of 'band-aid' fixes applied to double (or x2.4 or x4 or x4.8 etc) the amount of frames but fail on certain conditions. It works for the most part, don't get me wrong.

Well, they fixed the sample rate playback issue pretty fast, so I'm at least reasonably confident that it'll get fixed somewhere along the line, considering how much SEGA tinkers with their Steam releases even years down the road.

Nyoro SF

I hope they address that HQ bug though, that seems pretty major. Happened to both friends I gifted the game to before I told them about disabling the Steam overlay.

What a perfect spot for a crash too; the longest part of the game without gameplay, and the only menu section where you can't save.

Vashzaron

So I edited my save to get normally unobtainable units... you know what I went for of course.

Chapter 14 Spoilers(? I mean there's a glimpse of "it" in the intro if you pay attention.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOfoP1wZrWQ

If the Valkyria's die or try to crouch or do something they don't have an animation for the game will simply softlock, I wonder if there's a way to fix that now on PC somehow. (Because of that I should of set their HP to absurd limits but eh wouldn't have that dramatic ending in the video otherwise. Lol)

I'll prob release a guide on how to do this later. It requires a lot of hex editing tho, especially if you don't want to replace characters. Or/And I'll just release my already edited save of having
Valkyria Alicia / Valkyria Selvaria (DLC) / Selvaria (DLC)

This is all for fun of course, if you want to do this for cheating purposes.... eh.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343149661

I made the guide, this took me quite a bit so I hope at least someone can get use out of this, but I love the game enough to spend time making this. There's a save file at the start with
Valkyria Alicia, Valkyria Selvaria and Normal Selvaria
for those who can't get into hex editing.

Edit: and yes I went back on what I said and actually detailed enemy editing in missions a bit.

Falk

that puzzling face
It can destroy multiple tanks in one salvo if you line them up. Only ever done it on Bruhl Outskirts Expert, but it's still hilarious

Ragnaroz

Finished the 7. mission on my 2nd try.
Could've done it on the 1st, but I didn't know about Selvaria, so the only radiator that I needed to destroy by the time she came was the one right next to her. xD I even managed to get Ramsey up the ladder(yeah, an Engineer, all my scouts died trying to get up there xD) by using Edelweiss to block Selvaria's shots, but she killed her as soon as she got up there. xD

I still don't like Chapter 11.
And it's not because of the battle.
sad-kitten.jpeg

Durante

I just killed a tank ace and got a unique tank part. I think I must have missed these (is there more than one of them?) completely on PS3.

How I did chapter 9.

Units deployed like so.

Alicia top right.
Alex (though any Trooper would probably do) and Rosie middle camp equipped with enemy machine guns.
Largo bottom left (though not important to strategy).

I sent Alicia up the map to take out Lancer and Scout.
Sent my Troopers to the first junction to the left and hid behind the corner either side and ended the phase.
The armored truck then drives down in a straight line until it's just passed the junction where I set up the ambush with my troopers. I pop Rosie out and run her to the back of the truck and clobber the radiator and end action. I pop Alex out next and attack the radiator alongside Rosie who joins in with a team attack.

Cue truck exploding and easy 2 turn A rank.

I just killed a tank ace and got a unique tank part. I think I must have missed these (is there more than one of them?) completely on PS3.

was it a....
tank sight/ targetting thing?

I have found 2 tank parts so far and only dsicovered yesterday what they are. I, for the life of me, had no idea that they were tank parts till I stumbled on them accidentally in the RnD page.

Chariot

It's basically like the ace infantry weapons. It's also part of the achievement "Excellence in Technology"
"Commission all tank upgrades (including all three level 3 Edelweiss upgrades) and collect all enemy ace tank parts"
. I already got that, bot somewhere I have to be missed one or a few infantry aces, since I don't have the infantry equivalent of this. :,(

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I have played this a bit. It suffers from last gen common syndrome of Cutscenes looking way worse than in-game (Running down-sampled from 4k). Otherwise seems fine, but maybe I would enjoy more the game if I hadn't watched the anime. :/

Chariot

I have played this a bit. It suffers from last gen common syndrome of Cutscenes looking way worse than in-game (Running down-sampled from 4k). Otherwise seems fine, but maybe I would enjoy more the game if I hadn't watched the anime. :/
Eh, you still enjoy it. I saw the anime before and still had fun with the game. You'll see that the game tells the story way better and Alicia not being constantly tsundere is also helping very much.

KiraFA37

I don't know, thought the anime was pretty decent. You see more about the other squad members which is nice, they took some liberties with how certain events went for example
in Fouzen instead of fleeing Imperials burning down the camps the Darcsens flee and Gregor in his last act orders the train to fire on them.
But what I really hated
was the love triangle they introduced with Alica-Welkin-Faldio, felt completely unnecessary.

I watched some clips from the anime out of curiosity. They really butchered alicia's character

Care to explain this ? It has been a while since I'd seen the anime and I'm maybe not far enough in-game to compare.

Care to explain this ? It has been a while since I'd seen the anime and I'm maybe not far enough in-game to compare.

You remember that the only time when Alicia acts agressive to Welkin or others is in the Prologue/town chapter? Well, what if Alicia was as this in a whole series with "funny" expresions and overreactions a la Love Hina?

Hmm, I'm not so sure about these status inducing guns I can make now. Seems better to just get the raw damage weapons, no?

Generally, no. I believe the only one worth anything is the defense down only if it the weapon also has a decent damage as well. I do not know if defense down will induce more damage after the inflicting the status effect, maybe someone else can chime in. However, I do like running with the extra shot rifles on my shocktroopers because when potentials trigger you don't need the extra damage with a head shot and it helps with interception and return fire.

Durante

I never really used the captured weapons from the challenge DLC in my first playthrough on PS3 (as it was only released afterwards). Alicia with a ZM Kar 8 mid-game is just ridiculous. Takes down tanks (or crouched shocktroopers) in one turn without using orders.

petran79

Banned
finished game after almost 40 hours and no grinding. Just did every skirmish once.
No guides, figured everything alone. I finished Faster than Light on easy, so this gave me confidence to finish vc too!

Good game overall but they overdid it with the story aspect. Wasnt that interested but it gave the game a sort of epicness. Still not my cup of tea.

I'll play the dlc too and will try expert missions on occasion.

I am more used to straight to the chase games lile FTL, hence i found it much superior. No anime cutscenes!

webkid94

Okay i know people already stated that above 60fps the tank cant get out of ditches but on the Launcher.exe there's only two choices for frame limit: 30 fps and "refresh rate" I don't see a 60fps lock.

Durante

Okay i know people already stated that above 60fps the tank cant get out of ditches but on the Launcher.exe there's only two choices for frame limit: 30 fps and "refresh rate" I don't see a 60fps lock.
Well, can't you just use a resolution with a 60 Hz refresh rate?

Well, can't you just use a resolution with a 60 Hz refresh rate?

Either that or you can use GeDoSato and set rendering resolutions to resxres@120hz

and the framerate selection should allow you to lock at 60fps

xBladeM6x

If your monitor has a 60 refresh rate, you're fine. If not, use Nvidia Inspector / Control Panel to lock it outside of the game, and turn Vsync off in game.

Violet_0

Banned
I've learned from reading the wiki that Marina is the most popular character in the West while Edy is the most popular in Japan. Shame on you, Japanese gamers

I've learned from reading the wiki that Marina is the most popular character in the West while Edy is the most popular in Japan. Shame on you, Japanese gamers

The West appreciates overpowered lone-wolf types while Japan still loveing the haughty tsundere twintail girls?

Sounds legit.

Top Bottom