• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Black Myth Wukong New Gameplay - Game is more like God of War rather than a Soulslike

Draugoth

Gold Member

It seems that Black Myth: Wukong has many elements of this subgenre popularized by FromSoftware and also draws from hack and slash.

"It's more like God of War than a soulslike", we told thanks to what a representative of the Chinese studio explained before launching us into the game itself.

But now it's time to get to the really important part, the difficulty of the ARPG. As we told us, a member of Game Science confirmed that Black Myth: Wukong will not have difficulty levels. Translated with DeepL.com (free version)​

“Back in 2020, we were using Unreal Engine 4,” a spokesperson from developer Game Science told us. “We’re going for a super realistic style. We want players to feel like they’re in those scenic spots.

“In 2021 we moved to Unreal Engine 5, which helped us in our pursuit of realism. We used mo-cap and scanning technology to create a very real environment. A lot of players find the game to be very beautifully made.

“To be honest, in the genre of action RPGs there are not too many games that feature realistic and natural Chinese environments.”

Last edited:

Moses85

The voice of this ape

Cracking Up Lol GIF

ungalo

I like how they can't even explain what it is with concrete terms and constantly have to resort to this kind of comparisons.

ssringo

Already wasn't that interested in the game and this trailer didn't change my mind. The fights didn't look very interesting/fun and I agree with peish peish about the lack of hit reaction. It works for some games/styles but not this one. And to be fair I'm not really into Chinese mythology, legends, etc so I'm not probably not in the target audience.

The giant bear was pretty cool though.

SunnySideGuy

Neo Member
Game looks awesome but Im still confused on whether it's a normal linear story game with bosses or is this strictly a boss rush type game? They barely shown footage of you just wandering around levels looting or exploring. It's only been boss fights

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

While the bosses look cool I feel like we've already seen so many of them, I want to know if there's a lot of adventuring outside of just boss rushes?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Now it’s like god of war? Didn’t a thread a little bit ago say it’s an action game more like a ninja gaiden or bayonetta?

Idk man. I’ll wait for reviews to tell us wtf it really is.

Hot5pur

Seems like it's more of a 3rd person stylish hack and slash like DMC, Gaiden, Netta, and GoW (not the new ones, they are a bit slowest paced and clunky).

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Seems like it's more of a 3rd person stylish hack and slash like DMC, Gaiden, Netta, and GoW (not the new ones, they are a bit slowest paced and clunky).
This is what I want it to be. Fingers crossed.

Still looks like souls game to me... Why does Chinese dev always try to say their game is not Souls like when clearly it is Souls like

But now it's time to get to the really important part, the difficulty of the ARPG. As we told us, a member of Game Science confirmed that Black Myth: Wukong will not have difficulty levels...

i love the souls series. that said, i'm simply not getting this new 'trend'...

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Dunno if this is old stuff, but Okami13 made a summary of the info that came from the new previews that dropped today from VGC and RPS:
  • Highly detailed environments with UE5
  • Challenging but 'not quite as punishing' as Souls, no difficulty options
  • Souls-adjacent'
  • You can transform into a boss after defeating them and use their moveset temporarily
  • Combat more aggressive and fast paced than Souls
  • Big emphasis on perfect dodging, leaves a brief afterimage that distracts enemies
  • Different spells and transformation to make the game easier
  • High number of bosses in the 90 minute demo
  • Linear, not open world
  • Different combat stances
  • There are armor sets to unlock with different bonuses
  • August 20th on PS5 and Steam

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The footage reminds me of like... a much prettier version of Jade Empire's combat. Which isn't bad, but if it's just a straight-up action game, it should be a lot better. It just looks very flimsy, has you swinging through your enemy too much, lacks feedback, etc.

Still looks like souls game to me... Why does Chinese dev always try to say their game is not Souls like when clearly it is Souls like

Because we used to just call these action games and then Souls like took over and DMC\GOW\Ninja Gaiden stop making games for the most part and Souls took over. Now when people see games like this they think Souls like without understanding what differentiates a DMC\Ninja Gaiden from a Souls game. The Chinese seem to still understand that difference.

Kuranghi

Please come out soon so we can never hear about this game again. Its going to be a bunch of bosses with some plodding bits inbetween where you kill trash mobs and thats it. The graphics and animation look lovely, but the hit effects are rubbish and it looks like the boss isn't really in the same plane of reality as the PC. I'm pretty sure its going to be a very short game and on release day people will say "oh thats what we waited 4 years for?".

Found this after writing that:

Pretty much confirms what I said above, £50 seems like a bit much for it. I don't know why I care so much about bumpfing on about out how this will be disappointing lol I just have a bee in my bonnet about how its been marketed when smaller games with 10x the love and really cool systems and fun characters cost £15-20 and are passed over as "indie crap" when this is basically just a veneer of shiny graphics and animations. The game itself looks so boring, something like Stellar Blade or the new God of Wars* at least has this world to explore and interesting characters.

*Both of which I was so disappointed with, the combat was not at all for me, I quit playing them both after 12-15 hours even though I quite enjoyed the side missions and characters. Though the characters/scenario writing/dialogue in Ragnarok was a big reason why I quite also, would've suffered through the combat (which I enjoyed more than GoW 2018 certainly) to do all the world exploration if the cutscenes hadn't been borderline interminable. Missed all the feeling of epic scale of the old GoWs completely purely due to the camera choice, no idea why they thought that was a good idea still to this day. I really hope they go away from that in GoW 3, doubtful I'd say, I shan't be even bothering with that one at all if its more of the same style though.

Oops, turned into nuGoW ranting, doh.

Because we used to just call these action games and then Souls like took over and DMC\GOW\Ninja Gaiden stop making games for the most part and Souls took over. Now when people see games like this they think Souls like without understanding what differentiates a DMC\Ninja Gaiden from a Souls game. The Chinese seem to still understand that difference.
Because it's nothing like a Souls game, these silly comparisons have to stop. It's a regular fast-paced action game ala Ninja Gaiden.
Nothing like Souls game? This game has bonfire, estus flask, stamina bar...
The core gameplay of this is dodge and attack . They just remove the block option to make faster combat.
You can't do combo/juggle combo which is core element in hack n slash game like DMC/Ninja Gaiden.
I'm not saying anything bad about the game, but this cleary has more Souls elements more than DMC/Ninja Gaiden.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This game was hyped as the next-gen Soulslike, but close to its release, they started saying it's Gow-like. I guess they lacked the experience, skill, and money for the Soulslike elements and shifted in this direction. With each new statement, I'm losing more interest in the game. I'll glance at the reviews while spending time with the Elden Ring DLC.

This game was hyped as the next-gen Soulslike, but close to its release, they started saying it's Gow-like. I guess they lacked the experience, skill, and money for the Soulslike elements and shifted in this direction. With each new statement, I'm losing more interest in the game. I'll glance at the reviews while spending time with the Elden Ring DLC.

Where/when did the developer ever say this was going to be a soul-like?

RainyNguyen

Game looks awesome but Im still confused on whether it's a normal linear story game with bosses or is this strictly a boss rush type game? They barely shown footage of you just wandering around levels looting or exploring. It's only been boss fights
1.In an interview with the Japanese media 電ファミニコゲーマー, the game can achieve a minimum display resolution of 2K and 60fps on the PS5. At present, GameScience is striving towards the goal of 4K60fps, while the PC version can achieve higher fps display.

2.The media Hobby Consolas said that the game does not have difficulty options.

3.During an interview with South Korean media RULIWEB, it was mentioned that GameScience is preparing to continue producing DLCs after the game is released.

4.The Chinese anchor mentioned that there will be a plot of traveling through time and space to return to the past in the game, so you can see that in the demonstration of Heifengshan, there are two versions of the big head YaoGuai, a golden one and a black one. In fact, they are the same existence in different time and space. If you kill the past one (the golden one), then the future one will no longer exist (the black one). It can be inferred that in the 2022 storyline demonstration, the interaction with several female spiders may also have occurred in the past, while the battle with the old spider may have occurred in the present. This will have a significant impact on the plot development and gameplay of BlackmythWukong.

5.It seems that all the media are promoting this as a linear game or level based game. But in reality, different regions of the game have different characteristics. For example, Heifeng Mountain is a linear game similar to God of War, where you can remember the path you have walked without the need for a map. Leiyin Temple is a miniscape game similar to Sekiro and Dark Souls, featuring mechanism shortcuts and complex designs. Flame Mountain is a vast open world, and the experience will be like that of Elden Ring. Has anyone ever played Metro Exodus? In that game, different regions also have different characteristics, some are linear, and some are open world. I think this is a good reference.

6.There are a large number of bosses in the game, but it is not a boss rush type game. I mentioned in a post a long time ago that BMW is more similar to God of War and has incorporated some excellent mechanisms from Fromsoftware, such as archive point location and level design. There are a large number of plot animations and environment interactions in the game, and QTE animations are also used to ensure smoothness during battles. There are also interactive NPCs that do not require combat, such as merchants selling props. But GameScience limits the media's exposure of this part of the content, and you can't even find when Goku speaks up. They want to maintain a sense of mystery in order to surprise players even more during the release.

source:

Another infos:

NeoLed

These discussion develop like that phone game

Media reporting : a lot of bosses
gaf interpretation : it"s a boss rush game

I understand the need to temper expectation, but it starting to feel like a smear campaign

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
elden ring and bloodborne is wayyy better then ragnarok buuuuut Im froggin tired of souls clones already pal

Quantum253

Gold Member
Didnt the first reveal show walking down a linear path with enemies and you could transform into a bug to bypass if you didn't want to fight? There were some other transformations then it showd a boss fight in a temple grounds. It feels like that was a few years ago, however.

makaveli60

What? Clearly looks like a Souls inspired game. The animations look nextgen, and the visuals seem pretty nice too.

Fess

It needs much beefier hit sound effects and some hit effect animations.

Twackk-Schhhmackkk-Kaboffff-schwackabooom !!!

Not this thin biff-biff-biff nonsense!

salva

Looks pretty average to me. Typical bosses just performing the same attacks/animations over and over and a matter of memory and timing. Presentation (graphics/audio) looks and sounds good though!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't get this tbh. The game looks like a souls like/ sekiro.

Are they trying to say its more god of war in structure?

But God of War was semi open world not a linear path.

Just seems like an odd comparison.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Fallen Order difficulty with no option to make it harder? Found those to be quite easy so I hope that is wrong.

Brigandier

The lack of impact and enemy movement when being hit is off putting, it's not going to change either which is sad.

It's ashame as it looks good overall, also not open world isn't a bad thing if levels are well designed and enjoyable.

Top Bottom