• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Bah, I messed up and wasn't logged in. When you two are out of the match, please send another. Thank you.

AAK

Dammit this is so inconvenient.

HOLY SHIT, something is seriously wrong with PSN! My screen is frozen in the Compose Message screen in the XMB. And the game is still running. I see KAC and random dude's match in the background.

EDIT gonna restart the game and reinvite you all.

MightyKAC

Dammit this is so inconvenient.

HOLY SHIT, something is seriously wrong with PSN! My screen is frozen in the Compose Message screen in the XMB. And the game is still running. I see KAC and random dude's match in the background.

EDIT gonna restart the game and reinvite you all.

Whoa that sounds REALLY weird.

Anyways I'll be waiting.

Kyouji

I got the invite and tried to join, gave me the session error again. Try sending a few extras. Sorry about this.

I'm in Montreal if that matters?

EDIT: Looks like we're running into those PSN errors I saw people posting about on VFDC.

AAK

This isn't your fault, it's the stupid stupid STUPID way Sega designed the online for this game. You can only join a lobby as long as a match isn't going on.

EDIT: WTFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!

AAK

Cool we got 3 GAFers 1 TekkenZaibatsu guy and one random in our room. :)

Be careful guys, he's using Akira right now but when pcmacro switches to Wolf, it'll be the end of us! I've never been burning hammered so much in my life! LOL

MightyKAC

I think I got one more game left in me then I'll need to roll out.

Edit: AAAaaaand I'm out.

GG's everyone, catch ya'll on the flip.

Kyouji

You almost had him there, KAC!

Edit: GG KAC, see you next time.

Edit2: Just gonna fight you and then I'll have to go too, AAK.

Edit3: Great Aoi comeback~ Hope to play you all again soon. GG!

This game has been shitty online for the past two days. What happened?

Truth to be told, the online for this game is not good. Played though arcade and I was blocking lows that I would never be able to block online. That doesn't include the buggy matchmaking system in Ranked or the ridiculous waits in Player and Room matches.

I'll stop being so jaded now.

GGs to everyone I played last night.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
damn. my 360 is giving me the dirty disc error. even with this game. fuck. i can sometimes rock for a while before it does it but it seems to be getting worse. the silver lining is that my friend has an extra jasper 360 lying around unused at home.

and i tried playing vanilla VF5 the other night with some friends (he doesn't have FS) and wow did it feel really, really off. And the characters are super tiny in comparison. but i did miss some of vanessa's moves to be honest.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
damn. my 360 is giving me the dirty disc error. even with this game. fuck. i can sometimes rock for a while before it does it but it seems to be getting worse. the silver lining is that my friend has an extra jasper 360 lying around unused at home.

and i tried playing vanilla VF5 the other night with some friends (he doesn't have FS) and wow did it feel really, really off. And the characters are super tiny in comparison. but i did miss some of vanessa's moves to be honest.

My friend had this error. Just delete the game and re-download. Seemed to fix the problem without needing to change xboxes.

With regards to characters looking tiny, the camera was more zoomed out in the vanilla game. I much prefer the look of FS.

Also, if they do make VF6, I really hope they flesh out the story mode. I remember reading up on the character backstories in the manual for VF5, I think, and being disappointed that nothing story-related even happens in the game.

Daigoro

Sheit I havet played vf in 2 weeks as of today. Time flys.

I'm going to put in some hours this week for sure. Ill be around thurs-sat night.

I'm gonna be rusty!

Hilbert

With regards to characters looking tiny, the camera was more zoomed out in the vanilla game. I much prefer the look of FS.

Also, if they do make VF6, I really hope they flesh out the story mode. I remember reading up on the character backstories in the manual for VF5, I think, and being disappointed that nothing story-related even happens in the game.

Can't flesh out something that doesn't(and never did) exist. Closest you get is the quest mode which is kind of a meta-story mode. Actually it would be kind of neat if that was fleshed out. Give your rivals faces, character events at arcades and that kind of thing. Would be pretty amazing.

Grifter

How do you escape Goh and Brad's clinches? Goh's in particular can move in 4 directions and I haven't had success when I match the direction.

How do you escape Goh and Brad's clinches? Goh's in particular can move in 4 directions and I haven't had success when I match the direction.

You can hold the opposite direction to break out of Goh's clinch, because he takes a little step before he drags you for the throw. Since you're breaking the step, you don't have to press P+G to get out of it. Brad's neck clinch can't be broken once it lands, but you can escape the throws that follow it with P+G and the throws direction.

Speaking of Brad's neck clinch, I had no idea that it was so easy to stop. Jabs will usually counter-hit, leaving you at an advantage, and you can even throw him out of it when you see his arms going for your neck. I think you still have to anticipate the clinch before you can spot it, but knowing that it's easy to stop should allow me to stop taking so many (many, many) throws from it from now on.

Grifter

By opposite, does that include holding up when Goh steps down? I tried down for down, which is what I'd expect given how you break crouch grabs.

Hilbert

By opposite, does that include holding up when Goh steps down? I tried down for down, which is what I'd expect given how you break crouch grabs.

If it is like breaking Vanessa's grabs you press down when they press down, and forward when they press forward(this is where the opposite comes in, their forward and your forward are opposite directions).

I am not completely sure about this, but that is what I would expect. You could go into free training to confirm.

Yes, you hold up to break away when Goh steps down, and you hold down to break away when Goh steps up. I'm not sure why it works that way, though; I guess it's supposed to mimic a break in momentum or something. I've tested all four directions, and that's how it's worked out for me.

If it is like breaking Vanessa's grabs you press down when they press down, and forward when they press forward(this is where the opposite comes in, their forward and your forward are opposite directions).

I didn't know Vanessa's grabs worked like that.

Geez, I really need to read up on the rest of the cast.

Hilbert

Yes, you hold up to break away when Goh steps down, and you hold down to break away when Goh steps up. I'm not sure why it works that way, though; I guess it's supposed to mimic a break in momentum or something. I've tested all four directions, and that's how it's worked out for me.

I didn't know Vanessa's grabs worked like that.

Geez, I really need to read up on the rest of the cast.

Vanessa's grab only has forward back and neutral. I misspoke when I put down in there. Really you press up when goh presses down? That doesn't sound right to me. I belive you, but that seems weird.

Vanessa's grab only has forward back and neutral. I misspoke when I put down in there. Really you press up when goh presses down? That doesn't sound right to me. I belive you, but that seems weird.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, Tsukami's a weird grab. The easiest way to look at it is that you're pulling yourself away from him, rather than breaking a throw. It's still confusing, though; even when you know the trick, a good Goh player will mix it up by pushing you away with P+G instead of using a directional throw. The push can't be broken, and it puts the Goh player at +15 advantage - more than enough for mixups.

I love using it, but I hate having to fight another player who knows how to use it well.

DR2K

Banned
One thing I really like about VF5 is that no matter how much better I am than my opponent I can never really sleep on them and vice versa. Although there are times when I can troll.

AAK

JPN version of VF5FS is getting a patch on Tuesday! No word on other markets yet though

Details here: http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubb...8155/VF5FS patch coming this week!#Post338155

That's great news, but it still missing 2 of my biggest gripes:

1) "Region" is organized by country. Being in Canada it's near impossible to find matches in my country so I'm forced to search worldwide. And worldwide I'm 80% of the time stuck getting matches against Europeans with hella lag. The region should be divided by continents so that I could at least play against some Americans where the connection would still be playable.
2) Players can only enter lobbies in between matches and not during matches. This is a retarded game design. Makes things so inconvenient for no reason.

DRE Fei

The reason they don't allow joining lobbies with matches in progress is to prevent lag spikes.

The problem with the lobbies is that if there is a match in progress, that lobby will not even show up as a search result. You can only see the lobby and join during the break, which is why they have the 30 second timer. That's ok, but I'm glad they're adding the option to speed up/skip the timer. They also need to show every lobby available, not just the ones that are in the "break" period. There needs to be a way to get on a waiting list or something so at least you know that a lobby is available and has space for you.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Seems like a very minor patch but that SEGA is continuing to support this game at all is really terrific. From the 2+ hours of tutorial vids they've provided to sponsoring and hosting community events - I don't expect any company to be this good. And $15 digital release? Well done.

I'm yammering. But really, well done.

Shouta

Yeah, I got snagged by that Hot Dog throw a bunch of times in my match against 001. I need to learn how to deal with that mixup.

It's a really hard mix up to deal with if you let El Blaze start it up because he has ridiculous options from it. High Throw for the Hot Dog, Low Throw, Sunrise Knee, Demon Dance, low drop kick, canceling the run, etc. It's best to try and stuff it or just don't let him start it up though that can be difficult as is.

I've been working on integrating his two P+K Hit Throws more into my gameplay for higher damage output. It's a bit riskier but the numbers you put out when you hit them is amazing. Time for some more PSN antics.

Hilbert

It's a really hard mix up to deal with if you let El Blaze start it up because he has ridiculous options from it. High Throw for the Hot Dog, Low Throw, Sunrise Knee, Demon Dance, low drop kick, canceling the run, etc. It's best to try and stuff it or just don't let him start it up though that can be difficult as is.

I've been working on integrating his two P+K Hit Throws more into my gameplay for higher damage output. It's a bit riskier but the numbers you put out when you hit them is amazing. Time for some more PSN antics.

Yea I have been playing with his down forward P+K throw, seems to be fairly safe, comes out fast, and ducks under highs I beleive. And you can combo off of it to something about half their life if they don't stuggle perfectly(which I have't seen).

P+K throw -> run Up+Forward K+G(summersault) -> P Down+P -> back kick string

Is what I try. Usually I can't land the back kick string so I just use the forward P, K

Top Bottom