• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Shouta

Yeah 3P+K is a pretty decent move to use on its own whereas 43P+K is really difficult to hit. I've been trying to hit it off staggers which helps though and if you get it, it's massive damage. I've foudn the 3PPK to be the easiest to land 43P+K because you can't mess up the input and accidently get the Poison Mist

Edit: Oh damn, I just got a 175 damage combo in Ranked because of a scratch rush setup. SO GOOD.

Shouta

I did so well this morning, so awful tonight. Lost two ranks again to shit I know I can beat. Woof. I think I need a break before hitting it again. Good thing Persona 4 Arena/ultimate is coming so I can spend some time on that. Playing frustrated/angry is no good.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I did so well this morning, so awful tonight. Lost two ranks again to shit I know I can beat. Woof. I think I need a break before hitting it again. Good thing Persona 4 Arena/ultimate is coming so I can spend some time on that. Playing frustrated/angry is no good.

Wish you were on xbox we could trade el blaze tips.

alstein

Feeling the same way. GGs earlier.

BTW that big wombo combo you're trying is fairly easy to shake out of, especially since you got a long animation to know a stagger is coming. Maybe try a throw or guard break out of it (I should never suggest throwing to you, but just this once)

If I was to suggest something, I'd suggest trying to add some timing mix-ups to what you're doing. Usually I can guess between two things you're doing, and so something risky to beat both options, but if you did nothing, I'd get my stupid attack blocked, and you'd be +double digits

Shouta

Feeling the same way. GGs earlier.

BTW that big wombo combo you're trying is fairly easy to shake out of, especially since you got a long animation to know a stagger is coming. Maybe try a throw or guard break out of it (I should never suggest throwing to you, but just this once)

If I was to suggest something, I'd suggest trying to add some timing mix-ups to what you're doing. Usually I can guess between two things you're doing, and so something risky to beat both options, but if you did nothing, I'd get my stupid attack blocked, and you'd be +double digits

Oh, I know you can wobble out of it, but it's fun to hit. I was playing like crap anyway so I figured I'd go for it.

I actually got it a few times on some unsuspecting folks and ended the round quickly with it. It's sweet though in that even after the scratch rush (the giant hit throw) you still have to play the guessing game with my RD. Even if i don't go for the cartwheel for bigger damage, I still have the knee and the toe kick which are both safe options. Got the throw too. But for most, I can probably land the cartwheel -> Elbow for big damage. It's in the neighborhood of 175 damage or so if I get the setup. Even going in cold off the hit throw is triple digits normally.

But yeah, playing like poop because I lost two ranks yet again by the time I was fighting you so I was just doing shit and not really thinking. Jeffry is one of those match ups I've had trouble with recently in the hands of a good player anyway because well, you don't see many of them. I usually do timing mix-ups but that's for when I'm calm and collected.

Shouta

Doesn't mean he can't wreck shit if you haven't seen him being played though. I laughed at giving you the crouching backthrow in one of those matches though. It was like Wolf's Burning Hammer but more brutal looking.

AAK

Uggghhhh, I start by beating a Goh that was 5 ranks above me, followed by a Lei Fei 2 ranks above me but then I lost to an army of pesky Lions ranking below me... FRIG losing to that character makes me want to RAGE so hard. I feel like I'm a mile away but some magical hitbox just comes and knocks me down again and again. And up close it's a nightmare since his lows unlike the majority of the cast are legitimately scary and hence out of fear when I block low I get mixed up with a launcher...*breathes deeply*

alstein

Doesn't mean he can't wreck shit if you haven't seen him being played though. I laughed at giving you the crouching backthrow in one of those matches though. It was like Wolf's Burning Hammer but more brutal looking.

Jeff has two moves that give +10 and crouch on CH, which means I go for low throws. Also + on block but kinda slow. Low backthrow isn't that rare with Jeff.

MrBeggar

so does anyone in CAN/US PSN actually have the update yet?
i read on some VF forums that some ppl downloaded a patch but I dont know what
region they're from.

Shouta

That timer stop in rooms showed up for me last night and I don't remember downloading any patches myself... but I do have a JP PS3, wonder if that was the reason.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
MLG said:
The MLG Summer Championship will feature an exhibition tournament in Virtual Fighter 5, powered by PlayStation3!

• The expo tournament will be held all day Friday and Saturday (August 24-25)
• There's $2,000 on the line
• Anyone with a Raleigh Spectator Pass or Competitor Pass can participate
• Play in B-o-3 matches, winner stays at the station till they're defeated. Re-enter as often as you like
• On Saturday, the players with the two longest streaks will play in the Finals on the Fighting Games Main Stage
• The Finals will be broadcast live!

More info here: http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/40#spectator-info

Shouta

I've been playing a lot so I'm on quite a bit but I play on PSN and my username is different so no one knows, lol. I'm up to Warrior though finally. I'd probably be higher if I was just straight grinding ranked fights but I'm taking on anyone that challenges me and going at it with a lot of folks even if I'm on a losing streak.

alstein

I play at weird hours. Sometimes early morning. Rarely during prime hours.

Is anyone here considering MLG in Raleigh (other than Shidosha) decided to eat my plane ticket (wasn't that expensive) and just hit MLG instead to save cost, especially since I lost interest in Persona really quickly.

Time for me to try being a low tier hero people's champ.

LakeEarth

I've been playing a lot so I'm on quite a bit but I play on PSN and my username is different so no one knows, lol. I'm up to Warrior though finally. I'd probably be higher if I was just straight grinding ranked fights but I'm taking on anyone that challenges me and going at it with a lot of folks even if I'm on a losing streak.

I like the ranking system, except how fast you can lose rank due to losing streaks. It discourages running it back.

galvatron

Shout outs to that...you couldn't duck people in the arcade without losing a quarter, so that's how I play in VF.

PSN or XBLA? On PSN we usually play at night time right before bed times lol.

I'm on both, but PSN seems to be more popular so I've started primarily using that.

XBL:doc wily
PSN:doc-wily

Shouta

Shout outs to that...you couldn't duck people in the arcade without losing a quarter, so that's how I play in VF.

I do cancel out of some challenges at times but most of the time it's usually connection or if I want to run it back with someone else. But for the folks still in Kyu or Dan, I usually play my secondary character for practice and sandbag it a bit for them while I play my main for anyone that's above Hunter.

MightyKAC

One of these day's I'd really like to play your Blaze Shouta. Got some real holes in my game that I think a fellow luchadore would help me fill.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Wanna play a few? I wonder if my hosting a room will let us skip the timer since I got the patch.

AAK

Awesome awesome games Pak. Since we have a relatively good connection we can have some legitimate matches. VF is such crack when it clicks! You live in Montreal right? Are you planning on attending Toryuken 13?

Kyouji

Awesome awesome games Pak. Since we have a relatively good connection we can have some legitimate matches. VF is such crack when it clicks! You live in Montreal right? Are you planning on attending Toryuken 13?

Yeah, great games. Our connection is great for VF (and Tag 2 down the line)! I probably won't go to Toryuken 13 unless I can find some others who'd be interested.

Kyouji

Soused, why are our games always so good? I always feel like I've learned more than usual after our long-ass sessions (we've only had two, but you know what I mean). Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with Sarah, but there's still so much to learn. Those clinch throws (or whatever they're called) get me so much, even after you explained them to me, haha.

Oh, and the patch makes room play so much faster. I'll actually try hosting a GAF room some time!

EVOL 100%

I think I posted here before but got banned almost immediately after lol.

Anybody up for a few matches later? PSN: Cho-EVOL

It's been a while since I played and I didn't play that much so I'm really really bad btw.

Soused, why are our games always so good? I always feel like I've learned more than usual after our long-ass sessions (we've only had two, but you know what I mean).
It really does feel like we learn a lot when we play, doesn't it? I suppose it's because we usually try a bunch of different stuff over the course of each set.

Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with Sarah, but there's still so much to learn. Those clinch throws (or whatever they're called) get me so much, even after you explained them to me, haha.

Tsukami really is a hassle, isn't it? I think you broke that 4 times over the span of an hour's worth of play; I used it so many times that I lost track of the actual number. There weren't many other throws that I could set up, though - Sarah's Flamingo stance is surprisingly effective at shutting down all the stuff I rely on with Goh.

Oh, and the patch makes room play so much faster. I'll actually try hosting a GAF room some time!
The patch is great; I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it really does. I hope the US version of FS is patched soon.

Top Bottom