• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Number45

After five posts in four threads, yet no responses I was beginning to think that I was a ghost. :)
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Origins

Final Fantasy Origins is a compilation of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II for the PlayStation. It is the re-release of remastered versions (or enhanced remakes) of the Nintendo Famicom/Nintendo Entertainment System classics Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II on the PlayStation platform. Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II were originally developed for the Famicom and later remade for Bandai WonderSwan Color. The graphics have been enhanced to the quality of the SNES games (Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, and Final Fantasy VI).

Shoyz

Persona 4's a bit unforgiving :( Been putting it off, finally give it another try.
Hour and a half of a dungeon later I die to the boss, breath of relief when I get to retry from the floor (to heal/swap items/leave). I opt to leave and retry the next day..only to get hit with the time limit game over I've been unable to ascertain the day of and was never explicitly warned ("Today's the last day!"). Only option that time is to -go back a week- in-game. Not only do I have an hour and a half of grinding to redo, but I can't even do it any more optimally, I was scraping by with no SP up to that point so it's an hour and a half of the same exact grind to do.

Which probably translates pretty accurately to real life, I'll probably feel like playing again in a week from now...

kiyomi

If you have something in mind let me know. I proposed a while back there should be a Technika Tune challenge in this thread (probably a 3 or 4 in Pop mixing, everyone would have to set difficulty to Normal and not use any DJ Icons to make the scores comparable). Could also be done in the OT but I fear it would have a lot of trouble being noticed there.

Sounds very similar to what I had in mind! :)

I think (think?) Noi was worried that if it was made the challenge for this thread, there wouldn't be enough people who owned the game and so we wouldn't get enough participants. Although saying that, I'm not sure how many people have taken part in the Gravity Rush challenge this month.. I know I haven't.. >.>

I'll put something up later in the OT about it to see how much interest there really is, or you can if you like. Either way, as I said before, it'd be nice to get some casual competition for it.

crinale

Persona 4's a bit unforgiving :( Been putting it off, finally give it another try.
Hour and a half of a dungeon later I die to the boss, breath of relief when I get to retry from the floor (to heal/swap items/leave). I opt to leave and retry the next day..only to get hit with the time limit game over I've been unable to ascertain the day of and was never explicitly warned ("Today's the last day!"). Only option that time is to -go back a week- in-game. Not only do I have an hour and a half of grinding to redo, but I can't even do it any more optimally, I was scraping by with no SP up to that point so it's an hour and a half of the same exact grind to do.

Which probably translates pretty accurately to real life, I'll probably feel like playing again in a week from now...

As a matter of fact the first dungeon might be the toughest challenge in this game, because you'll be VERY short on SP. Try to finish the first dungeon in 2 or 3 days (when you use Goho-m it'll remember how far you have gone into the dungeon, until you beat it).

MarkusRJR

So I'm planning on making my Vita my main console/handheld. It's just that good.

But I'm lacking in non JRPG games. I have like 3 panels of JRPGs but only Locoroco/Patapon in terms of other genres. I'm thinking of getting 6 more PSP games. What do you guys think I should get? So far I've been looking at...

-Peggle (this is a for sure pick up, as Peggle is my favorite game to play on my ipod)
-PuzzleQuest
-Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
-Daxter
-Patapon 3 (it wasn't there on the PSN store but can you move it over via PS3?)
-MGS: Peace Walker (never played a MGS game before but everyone says this game is good)

So which games do you think are good there? Do you guys have any other recommendations for games that aren't JRPGs? I have a thing for platformers, simulation games (Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, etc) and wacky Japanese games.

Also, how is Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable and Ridge Racer Vita? They both look tempting but as I slowly reach the 100 game/app limit on my Vita (after purchasing those PSP games I'll be at 90) I'm getting worried about how many games are on my Vita. I wish Sony release an update to fix this arbitrary limit.

Speaking of the contest I still have slots to refer people. If you have a US Vita and want to win $20 on PSN shoot me a PM!
How does this work? I have a launch Vita and a white Vita.

Munin

I'm planning to get a Vita this week, but one thing I am still unsure about is whether I should create a European or North American PSN account. Is there one with the definitive better offering? I'm particularly concerned about the availability of PSone and PSP games, as there's a lot of games I want to catch up with. I've heard that North America has far less PSone games available for example.

Can anyone advise?

I'm planning to get a Vita this week, but one thing I am still unsure about is whether I should create a European or North American PSN account. Is there one with the definitive better offering? I'm particularly concerned about the availability of PSone and PSP games, as there's a lot of games I want to catch up with. I've heard that North America has far less PSone games available for example.

Can anyone advise?

Europe get's better PSN+ games, has bigger PSP/PS1 collection that can be played on Vita without using PS3 to transfer.

But USA has cheaper prices and some psp/ps1 games that were never released in EU.

Munin

Europe get's better PSN+ games, has bigger PSP/PS1 collection that can be played on Vita without using PS3 to transfer.

But USA has cheaper prices and some psp/ps1 games that were never released in EU.

Sounds like a difficult decision :( Is there a definitive list somewhere to check and compare?

zulux21

better ps+ is debatable... most would say EU has the better plus I would say that the NA offerings are more to my liking. (EU has more retail releases for the PS3, NA has more obscure games. I personally prefer obscure games over games like vanquish and batman as I bought those months/years before they were free on PS+ and in general would continue to buy up the $5 retail releases well before they are on plus. sometimes you get a nice more recent update like sleeping dogs, but even that has been $10 on PC)

Also something else to keep in mind is that NA tends to get a number of games first, especially niche japanese games. NA has been rocking persona 4 since nov... Eu won't get it for another 10 days.

I'm back!

Didn't really miss much I see :)

Here's a question for you all, I think the vita will get a price drop at either this meeting or at e3,

How much of a price drop do you think it needs?

IMO the wifi one needs to be $189.99
And the 3G needs to be replaced by 4G and at $229,.99

Havnt played my Vita for a while due to a mild league of legends addiction but im forcing myself away from that drug to get more Vita time in again (so many games I still havnt completed).

So i forced myself to play some more P4G last night and pretty quickly its charm drew me back in. Such a good game. About 31 hours in (I love JRPGs but I almost ALWAYS have long breaks from them when playing).

I really love EDF but I never really see many games online. Anywhere from 1-5. Its had enough rating to give me the impression it should have at least an OK userbase. Is anyone else finding this?

Played the Ragnaroc Odyssey Demo and kinda liked it. Its like a cross between PSO and GEB. Might pick it up but I would really want it for online so might have to wait and see how the online community is before a purchase. Saying that isn't soul sacrifice due out next month? Might wait for that instead.

Games I still have yet to finish:
Vita
- strangers wrath
- P4G
- Dungeon Hunter (although its pretty crappy, mainly its hit detection is its big issue)
- Jet Set Radio (havnt started it yet)
- need for speed most wanted
- Sonic racing
- Mortal combat (challange towers)
- Wipeout DLC
PSP
- TiTs (I got kinda bored of its really slow story but I will give it another go)
- Tactics Ogre
- Tomb raider anniversary
PSX
- Alundra

Im pretty sure there are more but my memory alludes me. That not even to mention the other games that you kinda dont complete and just replay like EDF (well I did complete normal but then there is pale wing and like 4 difficulties for each class to do) pinball, PSMobile games etc etc.

I kinda think I bought to many games and have no focus so I might need to just pick one game at a time and concentrate on that.

Sid

I'm back!

Here's a question for you all, I think the vita will get a price drop at either this meeting or at e3,

WiFi-$199 and 50% price drop of mem. cards,3G model discontinued and no 4G.

zulux21

I'm back!

Needs?
Down to $175 and include a 8gb card and 3 months of plus and a heavy push with soul sacrifice. They will lose some money, but hopefully can pick up third party support as ideally it would take off with that.
Just ditch the 3g crap I highly doubt they are doing well and it's just wasting money on R&D.

It's sony though so
Will get?
The wifi model will drop to $200, still include no memory card, but memory card prices will be dropped by around 20% across the board. If they announce a 64gb card they will just shift everything down, but I am starting to lean more towards they won't release a bigger card this year now.
They will announce a 4G model but leave it at $300, but I think it will include a 4gb memory card and some plus time.

yeah about $199 and maybe £189 in UK will be the drop if they do it. I agree they should ditch the 3g. In a world where a lot of people can just tether it to their phone it seems so pointless.

Mem cards need the drop more and on equal ground they need to fix it so that memory card switching doesn't throw the bubbles of non system apps / cart games about. To be more accurate the apps that you have to have and the bubbles for cart games retain there proper place while everything else gets dumped to the back page. Its just a pain and isn't appropriate for multi card owners.

a 64gig card would def be nice. Ideally a 128 gig card and have devs make larger games would be the best for me but thats prob not gonna happen.

Hopefully next gen consoles will make the vita more popular to develop for due to its cheaper dev costs.

Nope, April 30th.

ah ok thanks. Might get RO then. will see how it sells

Sid

yeah about $199 and maybe £189 in UK will be the drop if they do it. I agree they should ditch the 3g. In a world where a lot of people can just tether it to their phone it seems so pointless.

Mem cards need the drop more and on equal ground they need to fix it so that memory card switching doesn't throw the bubbles of non system apps / cart games about. To be more accurate the apps that you have to have and the bubbles for cart games retain there proper place while everything else gets dumped to the back page. Its just a pain and isn't appropriate for multi card owners.

a 64gig card would def be nice. Ideally a 128 gig card and have devs make larger games would be the best for me but thats prob not gonna happen.

Hopefully next gen consoles will make the vita more popular to develop for due to its cheaper dev costs.
For a sytem so heavily reliant on DD why is there no internal memory in the first place? on top of that they brought up overpriced proprietary memory as a solution,SCE is 'weird' to put it mildly.

Seriously why is there no internal memory in the first place?on top of that they brought up overpriced proprietary memory as a solution,SCE is 'weird' to put it mildly.

well there is SOME internal memory as thats what the OS and perma apps are stored on. How much I dont know and regardless we cant access it.

Really should have 4 gig internal just so you can save and get some DLC if you go cart only.

DiscoJer

I'm back!

They need to drop the 3g/4g whatever model. I don't see why people need it on the Vita, I wouldn't want to do internet stuff on it.

And price the Wi-Fi model at $179.99. Or $199.99 with an 8 gig card

But it won't matter until it gets appealing software. There was a thread here today complaining about how Real Racing 3 on iOS was going to F2P. Regardless of the pricing model, why would people buy a Vita if they could play a realistic racer like that on iOS and have nothing comparable to it on Vita, supposedly the dedicated gaming handheld? Sony needs to get off their butt and put out Gran Turismo Vita.

Even something comparable to the original GT, with a couple hundred cars and a dozen tracks. And pay someone to port Borderlands 2, Killzone isn't going to cut it.

Sid

well there is SOME internal memory as thats what the OS and perma apps are stored on. How much I dont know and regardless we cant access it.

Really should have 4 gig internal just so you can save and get some DLC if you go cart only.
The 4GB flash is pretty much useless to the end consumer and even then there is no SD card support.

wouwie

I bought Escape Plan (in the Vita sale) and the game crashed my Vita when playing. So i checked if there was a patch and there was: a gigantic 1500Mb for which i don't have space on my (8Gb) Vita. That concluded my short time with Escape Plan...

Also, how is Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable and Ridge Racer Vita?
EDF is the 360 game with more content. If you want a fun, arcadey shooter with lots of replayability, then it's a great version of the game.

Else... Platformers... Knytt Underground, Mutant Blobs Attack!, Sound Shapes. Wacky Japanese... Virtue's Last Reward?

People who've take a Vita appart and looked at the chips suggest it's 4 GB. It's clearly off limits to the games though, presumably for security reasons, and to leave room to expand the OS with new features.

In other news... Laughing Jackal (OMG-Z, Cubixx) is supposed to reveal a new Vita game this week.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sounds like a difficult decision :( Is there a definitive list somewhere to check and compare?
I'd go with your local location for starters, just in case any region locked multi player games come around that you'd like to play.

Munin

I'd go with your local location for starters, just in case any region locked multi player games come around that you'd like to play.

Don't think I'll really be interested in any multiplayer games...the available library really is the biggest factor for me, particularly in terms of PSP/PSOne games and while a NA account would help me get games cheaper and earlier, I wonder if that alone would be worth the (apparently?) reduced library.

And I guess it's not that easy to switch between accounts from what I've read.

So ideally I'd love to be able to look at the list of available titles on the respective PSN stores to determine if there's certain titles that I would really like to have.

Hanmik

So let´s guess March month PS+ EU Vita games..

- Plant vs. Zombies
- Virtua Tennis 4

(two games that were not on the PSVita 1 year birthday sale)

Vashetti

Banned
I love reading this thread and I don't even own a Vita!

You guys all seem really cool.

I'll definitely get one eventually, though I'm waiting for a price-drop/hardware revision.

I've been building up a nice Vita collection through PS+ and sales on PSP/PS1 Final Fantasy games so when I get one I should be all set!

zulux21

- Plant vs. Zombies
- Virtua Tennis 4

part of me hopes that NA gets plants vs zombies this month.... as I would love to make fun of my wife for playing it again...
the other part of me realizes I wouldn't see my vita for weeks if it came to the vita for free lol.

Yopis

They need to drop the 3g/4g whatever model. I don't see why people need it on the Vita, I wouldn't want to do internet stuff on it.

And price the Wi-Fi model at $179.99. Or $199.99 with an 8 gig card

But it won't matter until it gets appealing software. There was a thread here today complaining about how Real Racing 3 on iOS was going to F2P. Regardless of the pricing model, why would people buy a Vita if they could play a realistic racer like that on iOS and have nothing comparable to it on Vita, supposedly the dedicated gaming handheld? Sony needs to get off their butt and put out Gran Turismo Vita.

Even something comparable to the original GT, with a couple hundred cars and a dozen tracks. And pay someone to port Borderlands 2, Killzone isn't going to cut it.

Personally I don't mind 3g at all. Totally agree about Turismo. Wonder how they will get accurate throttle? Vita doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons or triggers like a ds3. (Never played psp GT)

- Plant vs. Zombies
- Virtua Tennis 4

dynasty warriors? kinda hoping for that one. virtua tennis would be fine with me though.

Im looking forward to getting lumines later this month on plus as I can never bring myself to pay much for puzzle games for some reason (and thats actually in the sale as well isnt it? so that might not mean much).

Personally I don't mind 3g at all. Totally agree about Turismo. Wonder how they will get accurate throttle? Vita doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons or triggers like a ds3. (Never played psp GT)

slide your finger up and down the back touch......... yeah im sure that would work........maybe?........

Sid

So if Vita gets the HDMI port how are we supposed to play those touch minigames using the DS3? Will that be DS4 compatible?

So if Vita gets the HDMI port how are we supposed to play those touch minigames using the DS3? Will that be DS4 compatible?

I think you are still meant to use the vita as the controller..

Also for march in the EU I'd guess ninja garden and escape plan!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
As a matter of fact the first dungeon might be the toughest challenge in this game, because you'll be VERY short on SP. Try to finish the first dungeon in 2 or 3 days (when you use Goho-m it'll remember how far you have gone into the dungeon, until you beat it).

First dungeon really isn't that bad if you conserve your SP, which you should be mostly doing until you level up to like 10-20.

You should be using physical attacks and a slight mix of SP for healing/knock-downs to get up the two or so floors needed. After that, exit the dungeon and then come back two days later.

Chris_C

For anyone interested, Haunt the House is a really fun little PSM game. Sharp graphics, fun, polished, easy to play in short bursts. Pretty much what I've been looking for on PSM. Good stuff.

- Plant vs. Zombies
- Virtua Tennis 4

I wonder if Tecmo Koei might consider putting Dynasty Warriors up as a Plus game.

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires is ramping up for release and the Fist Of The North Star musou game just came out, perhaps a good time to drive some interest in games of that type. Also it has been conspicuously absent from any sales thus far.

With Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2+ coming out perhaps they will add the first one as a free game also. Although having two games from the same publisher free in the same month may be something of a stretch.

repeater

Do we have any indication of when March's games will be revealed?
Ninja Gaiden is probably a good guess. It's not in the current sale (and in fact hasn't been on sale on PSN at all as far as I can remember), and it has a sequel coming out soon.

zulux21

Do we have any indication of when March's games will be revealed?
Ninja Gaiden is probably a good guess. It's not in the current sale (and in fact hasn't been on sale on PSN at all as far as I can remember), and it has a sequel coming out soon.

at the end of this month like EU always does I would assume o.o;

Fisico

As a matter of fact, Golden is sooooooo damn easier than the original P4, you didn't have the option to retry from the floor, you couldn't choose so easily the card in the arcana chance, the boss were harrrder (the first shadow X was a damn joke, I almost beat it in rush mode), and you couldn't upgrade the stat of your personas with arcana cards.

And i'm only talking about the beginning of the game, the cinema at Okina upgrade the level of a personna's ally, the onsen give it one new skill, the s-link skills are new and so are the skill cards, the Persona level 3 for your allies, the weather forecast regarding the fusions and tons of content they add without anything to balance the difficulty.

Hanmik

I bought Everybodys Golf for Vita yesterday because of the guys in here...

and you know what.. I fucking want to ... ... ... .... hug you all... great fun game. I hate the chracters to death, but the gameplay is just SO good...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

and you know what.. I fucking want to ... ... ... .... hug you all... great fun game. I hate the chracters to death, but the gameplay is just SO good...

Never ending content too. I played it a LOT, but I dont think I'll ever finish it.

Hanmik

Never ending content too. I played it a LOT, but I dont think I'll ever finish it.

can you FINISH that game..? isn´t it just a sports game..?

but yes there is lots of content.. not that I need another game in my backlog--- but I just couldn´t miss a Golf game on my Vita..

Mr E.

Sending you a friend request mate. If you don't mind.

Top Bottom