• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Here are my games so far:

frfeHeb.jpg

JoWS3i7.jpg

fN6cVNR.jpg

bP72SsW.jpg

Top of recommendations:

PS+ 1 Year subscription(If you buy a 1 year subscription before March 4th you get 3 extra months free)
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
Ninja Gaiden sigma plus(if you have PS+)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Go buy Rayman Origins.
if your in EU land then buy P4G in two weeks!
Get Persona 3 Portable if you liked P4G.
Ok, buy Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X for the PSP
(for Silver members) recommendation: go buy Motorstorm RC
Buy Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.
Shooter fans buy Unit 13! Try the demo at least.
Buy Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed.
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational! :-D
Solstice
If you have Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale there are two new characters out Kat and Emmett. They are FREE for two weeks. So download them today!
Unit 13
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

Top of page PS Vita Tips:

To edit your notification settings go to Settings> Notifications
To check how much space you have left on your memory card go to Settings -> System -> System Information

Sorry for the late reply. GAF was acting up on my iPhone. Anyhow, there are 3 PSP collections that I know of. A SNK Arcade Classics collection that has a lot of the early SNK stuff, a SamSho collection, and of course the Metal Slug Anthology. As a big NeoGeo fan, and an MVS owner, these are really appealing to me, but I'm not sure how they compare to the individually sold games that seem to have great emulation. If anyone has some info/advice on these PSP games, I would greatly appreciate some impressions.

I've debated the Metal Slug Anthology and the SNK Arcade Classics, but never pulled the trigger -- $20 is too much. If they got under $15, I'd give em a shot for "what the hell, whynot?".

Check metacritic for some reviews:
SNK Arcade: http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/snk-arcade-classics-vol-1
Metal Slug: http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/metal-slug-anthology

I went to redownload the PSP Genesis Collection when I thought to check if I backed it up to my PS3's HDD - I did. Sooooooo happy!!

Also with the new rumor of the PS4 streaming PS3 games as a form of backwards compatibility, who else is hoping that Sony utilizes Gaikai to FINALLY do remote play properly? I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high but if they want to be really competitive, they'll have to use Gaikai for more than just B/C.

Competitive with what, exactly?

I've debated the Metal Slug Anthology and the SNK Arcade Classics, but never pulled the trigger -- $20 is too much. If they got under $15, I'd give em a shot for "what the hell, whynot?".

Check metacritic for some reviews:
SNK Arcade: http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/snk-arcade-classics-vol-1
Metal Slug: http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/metal-slug-anthology

Thanks. It probably should have occurred to me sooner to just check Metacritic. I got a bunch of PSN credit for my B-Day so I'll probably just pull the trigger, then offer you guys an impression as a value add. I'm noticing that Neo Turf Master is not on these collections, so it looks like I'll have to grab the individual release.

Competitive with what, exactly?

With the other two platform holders. They've touted remote play as a thing but they never really pushed for it. A new system with more overall system memory and Gaikai under their belts means they can finally do remote play right and make the Vita a potential killer paired up with the new Playstation home console.

Nintendo took the idea and is running with it and if Sony wants to push something as a core feature it should be streaming PS3/PS4 games to the Vita, IMO. The key thing that would be awesome would be pushing the point that you can literally take it anywhere and play your games via wifi.

I'd love it - I don't have time to sit in front of my TV and play games much these days, I'm on the go a lot and streaming stuff to my Vita would be amazing .. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want this.

With the other two platform holders. They've touted remote play as a thing but they never really pushed for it. A new system with more overall system memory and Gaikai under their belts means they can finally do remote play right and make the Vita a potential killer paired up with the new Playstation home console.

Nintendo took the idea and is running with it and if Sony wants to push something as a core feature it should be streaming PS3/PS4 games to the Vita, IMO. The key thing that would be awesome would be pushing the point that you can literally take it anywhere and play your games via wifi.

I'd love it - I don't have time to sit in front of my TV and play games much these days, I'm on the go a lot and streaming stuff to my Vita would be amazing .. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want this.

I too would love the ability to play most of the PS3 games I have on my Vita via quality remote play, just within the house. Make my Vita a WiiU gamepad, please. But other than Nintendo having the WiiU gamepad screen to replace the TV in the equation, I don't really see it as somewhere they need to compete necessarily. Open ended, it seemed like you were making a comment about streaming things in general perhaps, but I don't see a need for that either, unless Xbox comes out with some sort of "exclusive" streaming they feel the need to compete with market share for.

TL;DR:
Good point, I'd love the feature and it would help them sell Vitas and PS4s and be more competitive. I just don't see it as something that other consoles are providing where Sony isn't at this point.

DiscoJer

The thing is, I don't want to have to own a PS3 (or PS4) to do this. I would just like to play Vita games on the Vita that are comparable to console ones.

TL;DR:
Good point, I'd love the feature and it would help them sell Vitas and PS4s and be more competitive. I just don't see it as something that other consoles are providing where Sony isn't at this point.

You're right, the Wii U hasn't really done it much yet since it's still new so I guess it's still a feature in it's infancy. I'd still like it though :p

The thing is, I don't want to have to own a PS3 (or PS4) to do this. I would just like to play Vita games on the Vita that are comparable to console ones.

I'm actually down for both high quality, awesome looking and playing Vita exclusives (because that's what sells the hardware..) and the ability to say, stream Fallout or Skyrim to my Vita. I'd love to have both really :) Who knows though, Sony will probably botch the streaming thing if it is real.

You're right, the Wii U hasn't really done it much yet since it's still new so I guess it's still a feature in it's infancy. I'd still like it though :p

I'm actually down for both high quality, awesome looking and playing Vita exclusives (because that's what sells the hardware..) and the ability to say, stream Fallout or Skyrim to my Vita. I'd love to have both really :) Who knows though, Sony will probably botch the streaming thing if it is real.

By the time I'm ready to buy a PS4, I'm sure Sony will have botched and fixed at least a few things.

And based on the capability of the WiiU gamepad, I don't think they can do much but have games support streaming to the gamepad screen while in the same house.

Thanks. It probably should have occurred to me sooner to just check Metacritic. I got a bunch of PSN credit for my B-Day so I'll probably just pull the trigger, then offer you guys an impression as a value add. I'm noticing that Neo Turf Master is not on these collections, so it looks like I'll have to grab the individual release.

Metacritic says NEO TURF MASTER is part of the SNK Arcade Classics collection.
All I really care about is Magician Lord. :)
I wish it would go on sale for $15 or less.

Takao

Banned
glad to see you in the thread again Takao.

SCEE need to announce new Invizimals already ( and make it like Pokemon)

Novarama's CEO already said there will be a new Invizimals for Vita this fall. They said they took 2012 off to make this one "special". It'll probably launch alongside the TV show.

DiscoJer

Do you think Sony will up the size limit on game cartridges? I've been reading up on the 2013 version of The Show and it sounds like they had to cripple it because they don't nearly have enough room.

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...ions-concerns-inquiries-6.html#post2044650558

On a 4gb card only 3.6 is usable, this year the Show is just about there. The team does not want it to be stripped down either but there are mandates from Sony that have to be followed. There really is nothing else to discuss about it.

I think they want to keep game size within 4GB for digital distribution as well, to prevent overburdening memorycards etc. and allow the smallest memorycard available to at least install one game.

Mokubba

Novarama's CEO already said there will be a new Invizimals for Vita this fall. They said they took 2012 off to make this one "special". It'll probably launch alongside the TV show.

This sounds good. An additional game to come this year and one that's also targeting europe hard.

Sorry for the late reply. GAF was acting up on my iPhone. Anyhow, there are 3 PSP collections that I know of. A SNK Arcade Classics collection that has a lot of the early SNK stuff, a SamSho collection, and of course the Metal Slug Anthology. As a big NeoGeo fan, and an MVS owner, these are really appealing to me, but I'm not sure how they compare to the individually sold games that seem to have great emulation. If anyone has some info/advice on these PSP games, I would greatly appreciate some impressions.

I think there was also an EA collection on PSP. It had Road Rash on it. I don't think any of these are on the EU store, though. :(

Also, just got Sonic Racing Transformed today. Holy balls, this game looks great!

Ken

Question about NG Sigma 2+; what can I play the alternate characters in? Am I able to play through the story missions with them or are they confined to arena style stuff.

I've never played any "enhanced NG" with alternate characters so I have no idea how they are used in game.

Vashetti

Banned
Have you guys seen rumors about PS3 games being streamed to ps4 as BC ? Would be amazing if we got same feature for Vita.

How good of an internet connection would you need for that though?

I can see PS1 and PS2 being relatively okay if you have a 2mb+ connection speed.

But how much are we looking at for PS3 games?

Or am I looking at this completely wrong and it's not actually that much to stream games?

JoshHood

I can see PS1 and PS2 being relatively okay if you have a 2mb+ connection speed.

Or am I looking at this completely wrong and it's not actually that much to stream games?
It all depends on how they do it, but I could stream stuff like Arkham Asylum via OnLive to my laptop via 3G with no issues, so certainly seems doable.

It all depends on how they do it, but I could stream stuff like Arkham Asylum via OnLive to my laptop via 3G with no issues, so certainly seems doable.

How did you manage that!?

I had to plug my laptop into an ethernet port on a 60mb connection to get OnLive to work and even then it still only worked sometimes, haha.

Gaikai's streaming tech is supposed to be better than OnLive's was, right? Maybe it is doable.

A little of off-topic.
I never really cared for figures enough to buy them ( with the only exception being a revoltech Jehuty), but I'm loving this Kat figure.

I loved this game so much I'm really considering making another exception.

WORLDTree

A little of off-topic.
I never really cared for figures enough to buy them ( with the only exception beeing a revoltech Jehuty), but I'm loving this Kat figure.

I loved this game so much I'm really considering making another exception.

See if you can pick up the OST too, the music is amazing in GR, it just sets the tone so well throughout the entire game!

And while on the topic of PS3 to Vita streaming, is it possible the first accessory for the mystery port is an accessory to improve streaming quality between the PS4/3 to Vita?

Sh0k

I love my Vita, but will Sony ever fix the screen dimming after 1 minute while playing a game. I know that you can touch the screen or any button to restore the brightness, but it gets annoying.

Sid

I love my Vita, but will Sony ever fix the screen dimming after 1 minute while playing a game. I know that you can touch the screen or any button to restore the brightness, but it gets annoying.
Settings->Power Save->10 minutes.

Well i was thinking at home in wi-fi range ;)

But netflix says 4mb/s for 720p and Vita is 540 so around 56% of that.

breakfuss

Can't you adjust the dimming behavior in settings? Or is that only for when it's idle?

kiyomi

Does that change the initial dimming behaviour though? 'Cause if it does, that's a useful tip I hadn't known about. I thought the power save was just for how long it took to go into full-on sleep mode.

Sh0k

I have it setup at 5 minutes, but that setting is only for when the Vita is idling. Perfect example is Sly Cooper, while playing the cut scenes that are longer than one minute, the screen dims all the time exactly after 1 minute.

Sid

Does that change the initial dimming behaviour though? 'Cause if it does, that's a useful tip I hadn't known about. I thought the power save was just for how long it took to go into full-on sleep mode.
Oh not that....

I have it setup at 5 minutes, but that setting is only for when the Vita is idling. Perfect example is Sly Cooper, while playing the cut scenes that are longer than one minute, the screen dims all the time exactly after 1 minute.
Oh i never quite noticed that.

Miutsu

So, back in January I won second place in a Dokuro contest held in the US, I received the prize little after but only today I've had the chance to get my hands on it.

The prizes were:

- Dokuro themed coffee cup.
- Dokuro themed cleaning cloth (microfiber i think?).
- A soundtrack CD with 33 songs.
- A piece of cute artwork *_*

ibi1ixAhG8HNYg.jpg

Excuse the bad quality but photos where taken with the Vita's camera because my phone's camera sucks ass (even more) and who knows where my old digital camera is.

Closeups in the gallery: http://min.us/mbmBHk0azKr8Jv

Love it :)

Buy/Play Dokuro people!

Tomodachi

I just ordered Virtue's Last Reward from Amazon UK. It's only £19.99.
It's the cheapest it's ever been on amazon uk. Thanks for the heads up, definitely getting it. Now I only have to find something else to buy to go over 25£ and get free shipping to italy :p

true Gek

It's the cheapest it's ever been on amazon uk. Thanks for the heads up, definitely getting it. Now I only have to find something else to buy to go over 25£ and get free shipping to italy :p

Amazon UK Is tempting me with a lot of games... There was Unit 13 used at 11£ =( But probably the online code was redeemed :S

But also Amazon.it is making good offers... Like Persona 4 golden at 34€ or AC III L at 20€... (i'm italian too)

ZeroAKA

It's the new Legend of Heroes game, Sen no Kiseki (by Falcom as well). I still have to play through Trails in the Sky though but I'll definitely be getting Ys.
That's what I thought. Didn't the US miss out on some of the older games? Are the stories in each game connected?

SnK-Artisan-Street.jpg

Looks so pretty ;-; Wish it comes over here, but for anyone to consider it means EVERYONE MUST BUY YS CELCETA!!!

Looks nice, but I have a question:

Assassins Creed Liberation was slammed on for slight popin or framerate - but the streets of New Orleans were fully populated with citizens. This game looks so barren and there isn't a single person walking around, that it would totally break immersion - why would this get a free pass and no critique?

I don't say that to be rude, but I'd rather play any game with a living city - than a lifeless, empty city - in most cases....I just hope people that tore down ACL for technical blemishes, can see this is a technical blemish too, but on the opposite end.

Spiegel

Looks nice, but I have a question:

Assassins Creed Liberation was slammed on for slight popin or framerate - but the streets of New Orleans were fully populated with citizens. This game is so barren and there isn't a single person walking around, that would totally break immersion - why would this get a free pass and no critique?

Because this is a huge RPG with many different locales from a very small company and their previous game looked like this

XoeSkrP.jpg

Also that's one screen from a game in development.

Also this comparison makes no sense.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So, back in January I won second place in a Dokuro contest held in the US, I received the prize little after but only today I've had the chance to get my hands on it.

The prizes were:

- Dokuro themed coffee cup.
- Dokuro themed cleaning cloth (microfiber i think?).
- A soundtrack CD with 33 songs.
- A piece of cute artwork *_*

ibi1ixAhG8HNYg.jpg

Excuse the bad quality but photos where taken with the Vita's camera because my phone's camera sucks ass (even more) and who knows where my old digital camera is.

Closeups in the gallery: http://min.us/mbmBHk0azKr8Jv

Love it :)

Buy/Play Dokuro people!

Awesome stuff!
Where was this contest?

Top Bottom