• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

Twinduct

So this has been asked to death, but I usually ignore the talk, due to not being able to participate. But RO worth it? Only reason I wanted to buy it initially was due to the drought, but P4G is coming this month, so It's kinda of a no brainer I guess.

Anyway point I wanted to ask is how is the online com?
Is there any visual change of Armor/ Weapons (Ala MH)?
And is it actually fun? Or just a MMO experience with a Hack & Slash mechanic thrown on it?

OmegaZero

Toto is back!
All we need now is Carl.

So this has been asked to death, but I usually ignore the talk, due to not being able to participate. But RO worth it? Only reason I wanted to buy it initially was due to the drought, but P4G is coming this month, so It's kinda of a no brainer I guess.

And is it actually fun? Or just a MMO experience with a Hack & Slash mechanic thrown on it?

Yes, your clothes and armor result in a visual change in appearance.
Yes, it was fun for me. But it's also kind of shallow. IIRC there was a demo that you can try to see if you'll like it.

You know I bought it but haven't played passed the demo. I had the hardest time deciding and eventually just bit the bullet. It has a great aesthetic and whilst it does seem like its Representative...so is GH or MH and I'm okay with those.

I don't LOVE it but.

Twinduct

You know I bought it but haven't played passed the demo. I had the hardest time deciding and eventually just bit the bullet. It has a great aesthetic and whilst it does seem like its Representative...so is GH or MH and I'm okay with those.

I don't LOVE it but.

Yeah see that's my issue. It looks fun, but seems like I'll get burned out too quickly or have the desire to play completely wiped by something else showing up.

Yes, your clothes and armor result in a visual change in appearance.
Yes, it was fun for me. But it's also kind of shallow. IIRC there was a demo that you can try to see if you'll like it.

Ah ok, yeah the vids I watched it seemed it hardly changed ever. Hopefully the demo shows up on the EU store.

SiDCrAzY

If you are in the EU there's no better time than now to purchase as it's 50% off

Unfortunately I'm in the US....

LLShC.gif

Yeah, God Eater 2 looks like a PSP game because it is one. I'm sure the Vita version will be better thanks to dual sticks alone but it won't be a generational leap.

NOPE.avi

Killzone's been relegated to niche status after Guerrilla fucked up the controls of Killzone 2. No matter what they do, they are going to have to fight that stigma. The only way to do that is to provide a demo that shows that YES a FPS can have pin-point controls on the system and YES the game is decent and not "weight"-y to where people can't just phone-in games like Declassified thinking they'll sell to FPS fans.

Once i finished the game i got rid of it because of that, 3 fix it enough to be playable. Hopefully we dont have that problem with Killzone Vita.

Controls are everything. A game which doesn't stutter and controls perfectly is fun. Resistance, as a franchise, was new for me and I liked the whole flow and the anazing controls.

I agree the controls are pretty good, thats why i kind of liked it. Yes the graphics are awful, in some spots its decent. The cut scenes and visual novel thing are horrible etc. Yet the controls are good and the secondary fire using the touch screen for all the different weapons was used pretty well and fun.

I actually have more interest in the franchise now more than ever. I played 1 and didnt like it and didnt care about the franchise but this made me more interested in it. Yes im saying Burning skies is better than Fall of man.

I even replayed the third demo and i might want to go back and buy 2 and 3 to finish. It even explained the secondary fire better than Fall of man, one gun i remember it but never fully understood what it did but now with burning skies it explained it better and i finally realize what it is.

AndyLonn

These threads were the whole reason I joined NeoGAF,

Currently playing through Persona 3 and Gravity Rush (probably on the homestretch on that last one) Anyone got suggestions what to play next to Persona 3 when I'm done with GR? Will try for the challenge though;) have to be able to beat some of you.

Ps: Already finished Golden Abyss, and LOVED it, More Uncharted please

Currently playing through Persona 3 and Gravity Rush (probably on the homestretch on that last one) Anyone got suggestions what to play next to Persona 3 when I'm done with GR? Will try for the challenge though;) have to be able to beat some of you.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma+ is an incredibly well-realized and meaty action game. A graphical showcase as well once you adjust the default gamma and contrast settings.

Alternatively, you can just power through P3P as quickly as possible instead of multitasking so that you get to P4:G sooner than later ;-p

btkadams

Once i finished the game i got rid of it because of that, 3 fix it enough to be playable. Hopefully we dont have that problem with Killzone Vita.

I agree the controls are pretty good, thats why i kind of liked it. Yes the graphics are awful, in some spots its decent. The cut scenes and visual novel thing are horrible etc. Yet the controls are good and the secondary fire using the touch screen for all the different weapons was used pretty well and fun.

I actually have more interest in the franchise now more than ever. I played 1 and didnt like it and didnt care about the franchise but this made me more interested in it. Yes im saying Burning skies is better than Fall of man.

I even replayed the third demo and i might want to go back and buy 2 and 3 to finish. It even explained the secondary fire better than Fall of man, one gun i remember it but never fully understood what it did but now with burning skies it explained it better and i finally realize what it is.

resistance burning skies is better than resistance fall of man? you have got to be the only person on this planet that believes that lol.

What? Hell no.

MGS collection? Little Kings Story?

Agreed. What are your settings? I had not thought about going in to tweak those settings.
Adjust the gamma to 1.1, the brightness to 0.0, and the contrast to 1.1.

Colors pop more and the environments look much less washed out. Just compare the Team Ninja logo in the opening credits before changing the settings and after - now it'll look how it's supposed to and youwillsaywow.jpg

resistance burning skies is better than resistance fall of man? you have got to be the only person on this planet that believes that lol.

Probably, I got more into the universe of resistance plus the controls where awesome. Will get 2 and 3 now. It may have to do with the fact i played resistance very early one when i got my ps3, idk. I even tryed to do a second play through with coop and couldnt finish it. Just didnt click.

branny

Adjust the gamma to 1.1, the brightness to 0.0, and the contrast to 1.1.

Colors pop more and the environments look much less washed out. Just compare the Team Ninja logo in the opening credits before changing the settings and after - now it'll look how it's supposed to and youwillsaywow.jpg
Oh crap, I'm going to try this later!

Hexagonal

Banned
Probably, I got more into the universe of resistance plus the controls where awesome. Will get 2 and 3 now. It may have to do with the fact i played resistance very early one when i got my ps3, idk. I even tryed to do a second play through with coop and couldnt finish it. Just didnt click.
I don't want to spoil the party, but R2 is considered to be the worst because of regenerative health (although justified) and the lack of weapon wheel. If I had the chance of remaking R2, I'd add the wheel. (It'd also be for Vita obviously).

Also, I found interesting that many parts of the stories in Resistance 3 and Gravity Rush looked similar, at least for me.

(I'd said them right now but I don't know what is it like to spoil 2 games in 1).

Oh crap, I'm going to try this later!
The black levels will make your loins quiver in ecstacy. One of the few times "Dat OLED" truly resonates.

Are there any other games that look better with changes graphic settings ?
Not that I know of (and I've played most).

Most developers properly calibrate their games' default settings, and it's easy since everyone's screen is the same unlike with consoles. With NGS+ though, it was just improperly calibrated, as will become obvious when you compare the black levels on the background of the Team Ninja opening credits logo before and after making the adjustments.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Vitamuffins! Tell me the best way to go through your Vita backlog. I have over 8 games that haven't been completed and I want to beat them and trade them in for more games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Persona 4. *dealwithit.gif* You're going to sink more time into social links and you'll like it.

Buy Persona 2

The black levels will make your loins quiver in ecstacy. One of the few times "Dat OLED" truly resonates.

Not that I know of (and I've played most).

Most developers properly calibrate their games' default settings, and it's easy since everyone's screen is the same unlike with consoles. With NGS+ though, it was just improperly calibrated, as will become obvious when you compare the black levels on the background of the Team Ninja opening credits logo before and after making the adjustments.

Thanks a bunch! I'm playing through this now in prep for sigma+ 2 next month.

DigitalOp

Banned
Sweet new thread!!

I've been fiendin for a new Vita game purchase so yall should help me out!! I wanna keep the price relatively low so no 40$ p4g or edf just yet though .....

I'm thinking either:

Ninja gaiden sigma plus

Oddworld strangers wrath

Sonic racing transformed (how is the online community? ... damn I think this game is 40$..)

God eater burst

Monster hunter freedom unite

Or finally start my virgin mgs series playthrough with mgs ps1

Suggestions? ?

sajj316

Bought Sonic Racing through SEN PlayStation Store. Can't wait to try it out tonight ...

Store is awesome to buy on the go!

Mr E.

I'm not a tech guy but i have question about the screen settings which may or may not be possible with an update.

Don't get me wrong I love the Vita OLED screen but I'm the sort who runs his TV on Cool colour settings. I have Vivid,Theatre and Cool on my Bravia.
I tend to drain a lot of the colour out of my console games, I think I find a more realistic look for driving sims etc. I don't mind a bit of colour on a platformer or arcade game.

I'm 44 this year and I think I'm starting to get a bit if eye strain lol. I played Retro city rampage and the colours really popped on the vita.
Too much for my eyes though, I felt eye strain playing it.

Question is, could a colour setting be added to go along with the brightness setting? Is it technically feasable? Anyone know?

I'm probably in a small minority here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really couldn't get into Sonic Transformed. Which is weird because I thought the first one was okay.

branny

It's amazing, thank you so much.

I was afraid to fuck with the settings (blind trust), but this is so much better and more like how it is on Xbox. My loins are def quivering. bless <3

sajj316

Sweet new thread!!

I've been fiendin for a new Vita game purchase so yall should help me out!! I wanna keep the price relatively low so no 40$ p4g or edf just yet though .....

I'm thinking either:

Ninja gaiden sigma plus

Oddworld strangers wrath

Sonic racing transformed (how is the online community? ... damn I think this game is 40$..)

God eater burst

Monster hunter freedom unite

Or finally start my virgin mgs series playthrough with mgs ps1

Suggestions? ?

Ninja or Oddworld are my recommendations

BosSin

This is probably old to most people but the other day I stumbled upon a well-hidden menu in the vita OS that allows changing of brightness, toggle microphone and change between music.

If you don't know about it, hold the home button and it will come up.

There are so many random things in this OS, it really says something about its usability.

But I thought we were sisters too ;_;
Who said we can't share? <3

It's amazing, thank you so much.

I was afraid to fuck with the settings (blind trust), but this is so much better and more like how it is on Xbox. My loins are def quivering. bless <3
Much obliged. Little things like this that wouldn't be visible anywhere else are why I think every console should have a dedicated thread.

kiyomi

I know you've had responses, but I thought I'd chip in. It's a competent hack and slasher, but honestly very shallow. You're gonna want to play it online for sure. Cosmetically, yes, you can change up some, but not really as a result of armour. You can unlock class armours and switch classes if you want to, so that offers up some variance. There are plenty of hats though, so if you like your hattery, you might enjoy that.

The most interesting mechanic is the card system, where you equip different cards that hold different stats and status effects, and balancing them out can be enjoyable. Ultimately though that doesn't really pay off since your own playstyle is limited to your class for the most part.

If you really want an average slasher, that you're willing to play online, then you'll get some play out of it. I haven't finished it, but plan to go back to it at some point.

Oh so like you didn't know know that that was going to happen in the game?
Slow response here VW, but, yeah, that's correct.

Top Bottom