• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump recorded bragging about his fame letting him violate women in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of reporters are more or less making shit up on twitter right now. Be careful who you believe guys, just follow the big name reporters at the big papers.

I don't get how this changes things though. Trump could literally kill someone and his supporters would only like him more. Nothing can sway their opinions.

shiba5

I've been seeing this sentiment on my FB.

SEFGFkp.jpg

This is how they talk about their women I guess.

Back to the issues.

So fucking gross. No man or woman I've ever known has bragged about sexually assault - and I used to date a frat guy in college.

America is a nation of prudes..sex or talks of sex is the devil!

I feel like this is the tipping point, so to speak. Even with the stuff dropped at the debate which was horrible, there was a possible way for crazies to blame the woman. Here, it's all on him. Just like the statements about muslims and mexicans, there were ways to spin it so people would buy that it wasn't negative, or just think that he was really bad at speaking.

There's no way to spin this crap. It's awful.

Sobriquet

You had respect for Ted Cruz? The dude who denies climate change, is against net neutrality, tried to cut NASA's budget, and attended AND spoke at an anti-gay conference with a popular pastor that called for gays to be killed?

Those aren't even the entire laundry list of the fucked up shit Cruz has done, said, or attempted to do. He's not someone you should ever respect.

When he refused to endorse Trump, yeah. Like I said: "brief, fleeting" and "modicum"

Don't get me wrong, I've always thought he was an awful human being.

AJLma

Yeah, none of my friends talk about women in this way and if they did I would have nothing more to do with them. Unbelievable that there are still people defending Trump, but I'm not particularly surprised at this point.

What's most gross about this is this is coming from a guy who is a professional "Life Coach"... with daughters...

Protein

Banned
Some of you northerners are surprised about that Fox News comment? Try living in a solid, red state and try keeping your sanity.

oti

Banned
Don't give up Trump! Please stay in the race and destroy this shit party from the inside. Burn it all down!

Damaniel

Banned
I can't believe of all the shit Trump has said and done, this is what blows up the most. Not to downplay it - he's a vile person - but I didn't think anything would hurt him at this point.

Things like the Trump Foundation and carrying losses forward on taxes are a little too abstract for Trump's supporters, and many of them are racist and xenophobic so the disparaging remarks toward Hispanics and Muslims are actually considered net positives.

People love a good sex scandal though - they're easy to understand, and this particular scandal has the extra dimension of implied sexual assault, which makes it an even bigger deal. In a perfect world, Trump would have been taken down for the things that make him a terrible candidate, but if the things that make him a terrible *person* do it, then I'm fine with that too.

I don't get how this changes things though. Trump could literally kill someone and his supporters would only like him more. Nothing can sway their opinions.

His supporters are a lost cause, but there are still undecided voters and supporters of Stein/Johnson who will be swayed by this.

Reposting for new page.

If Pence actually wants to try and run for president in the future he needs to drop. The Trump campaign has already done massive amounts of damage to his future prospects. I'd drop if I were him. Make a big show about it, something about how Trump is a sheep in wolfs clothing and he had no idea. These latest revelations conflict with his Christian values and he is dropping out.

He spent the entire VP debate denying things Trump is known to have said. He doesn't have the credibility to take the innocent bystander approach that you're advocating now that he's complicit in gaslighting for the piece of shit on national television.

Not about them. It's about those that are still, somehow, on the fence..in particular many evangelicals that have had issues with him. This is not helping..no matter how much they're trying to spin it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hugh Hewitt (conservative radio host) is calling for Trump to step out because there's more and worse coming.

The house is on fire and everyone is rushing for the exits. No hyperbole, this has to be one of the worst weeks for a Presidential candidate in modern history. I've never seen someone have multiple October Surprises of such a damaging nature occur in a 7 day period.

Prominent Republicans are going to be deleting Trump's number and denouncing him ahead of more damaging stuff. At a certain point your career is going to be on the line if your name can be spoken in the same breathe as Trump. At least if you jump ship now, you can fudge the facts and say "I denounced him" even if you waited until mid-October and endorsed him before that.

Morat

Banned
I can't believe that of all the shit Trump has said and done, this is what blows up the most. Not to downplay it - he's a vile person - but I didn't think anything would hurt him at this point.

Agreed. I guess it's the straw that broke the camels back? He has said things as bad if not worse on live television, such as advocating the torture of families of alleged terrorists.

Ambient80

Things like the Trump Foundation and carrying losses forward on taxes are a little too abstract for Trump's supporters, and many of them are racist and xenophobic so the disparaging remarks toward Hispanics and Muslims are actually considered net positives.

People love a good sex scandal though - they're easy to understand, and this particular scandal has the extra dimension of implied sexual assault, which makes it an even bigger deal. In a perfect world, Trump would have been taken down for the things that make him a terrible candidate, but if the things that make him a terrible *person* do it, then I'm fine with that too.

It's also far less ambiguous. He clearly states that this is a thing he does consistently against women. The other things, even if we see it as pathetic, could be hand-waved away by some (mentally ill) people.

hobozero

OK, whats the roundup on the spin attempts at this point? So far I have:

- Bill said/did worse stuff
- people in the bible did bad stuff and they got redeemed
- boys will be boys
- its just locker room talk
- we didn't nominate a Sunday school teacher
- yes it was bad, but he was a democrat when he said it
- it was 11 years ago and he has changed so much and he speaks from the heart
- Benghazi

Have I missed any?

womfalcs3

Banned
If Trump drops out and lets Pence take over, I would switch to Pence immediately. As things are right now, I won't vote for Trump.

BigDug13

The house is on fire and everyone is rushing for the exits. No hyperbole, this has to be one of the worst weeks for a Presidential candidate in modern history. I've never seen someone have multiple October Surprises of such a damaging nature occur in a 7 day period.

Prominent Republicans are going to be deleting Trump's number and denouncing him ahead of more damaging stuff. At a certain point your career is going to be on the line if your name can be spoken in the same breathe as Trump. At least if you jump ship now, you can fudge the facts and say "I denounced him" even if you waited until mid-October and endorsed him before that.

News travels faster than ever before in human history. This might be the fastest swing of events for a presidential candidate ever. This shit isn't even 24 hours old, barely long enough to have been included in a standard printed newspaper and look at all the shit that's happening.

The second part was made by Trump's lawyers and "approved" by Ivana. The same lawyers who said that you can't rape your spouse.

The exact same lawyers? Or are you assuming all Trump's lawyers have all had the same views throughout the years.

Trump's a scumbag, but the Ivana passage reads to me like something very sensationalist written to sell a book. Unless she actually, like, changes her tune re: the legal clarification, I see little reason to read it as an account of something that actually happened.

Ambient80

- boys will be boys
- Benghazi

Have I missed any?

Heard on MSNBC earlier: "He was going through a really rough patch in his life at this time, so he was probably just stressed out."

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The second part was made by Trump's lawyers and "approved" by Ivana. The same lawyers who said that you can't rape your spouse.
Not to mention that the second part doesn't actually rescind any of the detail of the account she originally provided, merely tries to soften the interpretation of it.

pestul

You can tell that the Trump supporters are reading the transcript and not watching the video. He makes predatory advances that he just described and you can ever hear the fucker popping breath mints in in advance.. how can anyone deny his nature when seeing the video?

Not to mention that the second part doesn't actually rescind any of the detail of the account she originally provided, merely tries to soften the interpretation of it.

The first passage says he raped her. The second passage says he didn't do anything criminal, and he was cold, mechanical, and distant during sex one time. That's a pretty massive difference.

I've been seeing this sentiment on my FB.

SEFGFkp.jpg

This is how they talk about their women I guess.

Back to the issues.

Not just talk though, Trump is actually describing what he does physically to women he finds attractive. Are these FB defenders actually going to say that they run around grabbing genitals too?

Damaniel

Banned

- boys will be boys
- Benghazi

Have I missed any?