• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Tacitus_

Has any one here been reading "The Beast Arises" series? The synopsis for "The Last Wall" sounds crazy.

Haven't got my grubby mitts on the latest one yet, but the series has been pretty good so far.

Admittedly I've been more interested in the political (and literal) backstabbing going on

Karakand

The Golden Age of the Imperium stuff has been great, so I'm anxious to start listening to that series.

"Parting of the Ways" is fantastic by the way. A nice euthanizing of yet another Abnett retcon. (The HH era Space Wolf.)

Poor Bjorn though. :(

Hex

Banned
If anyone is interested I have 2 BNiB Betrayal at Calth boxes I need to get rid of and possibly a Deathwatch Overkill.
I picked up 4 BAC and 2 Overkill and I just don't need it all and it is taking up space.

EYEL1NER

I just managed to get a fantastic deal for a guy on BoardGameGeek. Picked up 41 Black Library/GW books for $200. Some notable books in there are the first 8 Gaunt's Ghosts books, HH books 13-17 I think (since I have the box set that goes up to book 12), the Sabbat World Crusades art book, some books from the Grey Knights, Ciaphas Cain, and Space Wolf omnibuses (because I wanted the original books to sit next to the omnibus versions and also for dat cover art), the 13th Black Crusade art book, Insignium Astartes, the three HH Visions art books, the first three Index Astartes books, the Blood Angels omnibus, the Let the Galaxy Burn book, The Ultramarines omnibus, the Eisenhorn Trilogy omnibus (which is OOP and fetching a high price every time I want to buy it), and the true gems out of the batch, two books that I really wanted but would not have paid the current market price for:

Near-mint copies of the Imperial Infantryman Uplifting Primer and the Imperial Munitorium Manual, for $3 each!!!!!

He did have a Liber Chaotica: Nurgle book, but I actually have that already from a bulk 40K purchase I made from a friend and don't feel like reselling one ($15 seemed like a good price though, plus 25% off of that from how many I bought). Most of the books were $4, the Omnibus prices were $7, and the art books were $15-$17, and then I got 25% off and free shipping for making a bulk purchase. I have so much 40K stuff to read now.

I absolutely cannot wait to dig into the Infantryman Uplifting Primer too, after reading the Ciaphas Cain books and seeing what the IG is like. I'm not sure if it is the Damocles Gulf edition or not though, but I'll have to track down the other one at some point depending on which one it is.

AlStrong

They still do I think but it seems like they usually run a print of trade paperback first (the large ones) then afterwards they do a mass market run.

Fair enough. Guess it just feels like there is a longer wait time these days. I mean, I wouldn't mind getting the eBooks, but they just feel too pricey relative to the number of other books I can get via Amazon. I suppose I do have a giant backlog anyway to get through, but I mean... once I justify spending "big" on black library books... it's breaking the dam, so to speak. XD

I just don't have the physical shelf space anymore to deal with books, and I'm... well I don't want to sell the ones I have because at some point I do re-read them. :/

Fair enough. Guess it just feels like there is a longer wait time these days. I mean, I wouldn't mind getting the eBooks, but they just feel too pricey relative to the number of other books I can get via Amazon. I suppose I do have a giant backlog anyway to get through, but I mean... once I justify spending "big" on black library books... it's breaking the dam, so to speak. XD

I just don't have the physical shelf space anymore to deal with books, and I'm... well I don't want to sell the ones I have because at some point I do re-read them. :/

I can understand that the trade paperbacks take up more shelf space, but do you not like them at all?

I mean yeah they're a bit more expensive, usually around $16-$17 with sometimes being around $20 like Vengeful Spirit. They're so much easier to read though and comfortable than the small mass market paperbacks. I can understand though if someone reads them on a train or something and needs em small to carry around.

AlStrong

I can understand that the trade paperbacks take up more shelf space, but do you not like them at all?

I mean yeah they're a bit more expensive, usually around $16-$17 with sometimes being around $20 like Vengeful Spirit. They're so much easier to read though and comfortable than the small mass market paperbacks. I can understand though if someone reads them on a train or something and needs em small to carry around.

I'm just used to mass market size since forever (Battletech, Shadowrun, Halo and so on). I've had a few trade paperbacks here and there, but I'm actually not that comfortable handling them even though I'm mostly reading in bed. I prefer the compact text for reading I guess?

Most of the larger formats I have are omnibuses, so that's kind of necessary and maybe doesn't count. lol

Tacitus_

TBs preview on Battlefleet Gothic: Armada https://youtu.be/2Uu6Rn2W8gM

lhjhbB9.gif

TBs preview on Battlefleet Gothic: Armada https://youtu.be/2Uu6Rn2W8gM

lhjhbB9.gif

I just watched that actually, been following the game pretty closely.

If you pre-order the game now you actually get the beta access build that TB was playing.

I was actually thinking about making the |OT| for the game since no one has claimed it yet. Anyone got any ideas for the name?

Was thinking Battlefleet Gothic:Armada |OT| In space, only Slaanesh can hear you scream.

Zackat

That Eisenhorn Trilogy in hardback. I couldn't resist. I am kind of a fan. My paperback version is also really worn from reading it several times.

Tacitus_

I just watched that actually, been following the game pretty closely.

If you pre-order the game now you actually get the beta access build that TB was playing.

I was actually thinking about making the |OT| for the game since no one has claimed it yet. Anyone got any ideas for the name?

Was thinking Battlefleet Gothic:Armada |OT| In space, only Slaanesh can hear you scream.

I know, I've been agonizing over whether to preorder to get into the beta.

As for the OT, you've gotta wait til we're closer to release unless you're making it for the beta. Rules here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468233
And the title.. I'd like the aesthetic to get worked into it somehow. Tactical cathedral to cathedral combat? Might be too long.

Zackat

hum... Is the Bequin trilogy done yet?

Been waiting...

Hasn't even released the second one in the trilogy. Pretty upset about it, probably next year. Crazy for a book that was supposed to come out in like 2014. Dan juggling a lot of plates heh.

So I don't really post here very often but I'd like to share some of my work with GAF.

I recently completed my Horus model and thought I'd post here :)

cmon73ru6.jpg

I hope you like GAF :)

^ Did you actually paint those shade differences in the red lighting for the helm? O_O

It looks like it's actually illuminated like there's a red LED inside the collar.

How did you get those tones on the cape O_O

edit: Meant the red lighting on the cheeks of the face (not helm)

grendelrt

^ Did you actually paint those shade differences in the red lighting for the helm? O_O

It looks like it's actually illuminated like there's a red LED inside the collar.

How did you get those tones on the cape O_O

Seriously looks like an led in there! I also like the gore on the hands, really nice job!

Thanks guys, and yep I actually painted the red shade differences on his face to make it look like there is a light in there.

I'm proud that you think it actually looks like an LED that's exactly what I was going for :D

I think part of the reason it looks so good is because I used red Fluro pigment to light up the brightest areas and the red flur pigment I've got is really nice and bright.

Edit: TheSadRanger the tones on the cape? I'm not sure what you mean. I started with a darker red tone and shaded with dark reds and purples and blues rather than a bright red and dark reds in the shadows if that's what you mean.

Zackat

Thanks guys, and yep I actually painted the red shade differences on his face to make it look like there is a light in there.

I'm proud that you think it actually looks like an LED that's exactly what I was going for :D

I think part of the reason it looks so good is because I used red Fluro pigment to light up the brightest areas and the red flur pigment I've got is really nice and bright.

Edit: TheSadRanger the tones on the cape? I'm not sure what you mean. I started with a darker red tone and shaded with dark reds and purples and blues rather than a bright red and dark reds in the shadows if that's what you mean.

You achieved it because it looks great. I legitimately thought it was an LED. Really cool model.

barik

That might be the best OSL I've ever seen, good stuff man. I also love the cloak, the little highlight lines and stuff really make it pop.

Tacitus_

Absolutely stunning work! Are the blood strings done with the blood special paint or did you rig something there and paint it?

Lucius86

Banned
As a lurker in this thread (because I used to love 40K when I was younger), I had to post and comment what a stunningly painted model that is.

Amazing stuff.

That might be the best OSL I've ever seen, good stuff man. I also love the cloak, the little highlight lines and stuff really make it pop.

Dude thanks so much! I don't think it's the best I've ever seen but I really appreciate the words :)

Absolutely stunning work! Are the blood strings done with the blood special paint or did you rig something there and paint it?

The blood strings are some stringy glue called UHU that is let to try for about a minute and then stretched around. It's clear and then I just dabbed blood for the blood god from GW over the top to make it sort of clear sort of blood coloured. It was my first time trying this technique and honestly I used a bit much on the Mace. I could remove it but what's done is done :)

As a Sons of Horus player... fuck me. Incredible, incredible work. Do you enter painting competitions?

Thanks dude, thanks heaps! I'm not really a player I just paint and I love the Warhammer canon and the books so I'm collecting the character series. They're some of my favorite models of all time in there and I can't wait until they've all been released and I've painted them all and have them all lined up in a row. It will be an awesome sight to see them all together and painted. This is an absolute must for my bucket list.

With regards to competitions I have entered into two comps so far. My first was Crystal Dragon which is the premier Australian comp that occurs in CanCon in January. My model for that wasn't so great and I didn't get any place or anything but I've improved quite a bit since then. I've been really truly trying to paint and be a painter only for about a year now though I've been painting in general for about 5 (plus the 2 or 3 years I collected warhammer as a kid).

Second comp I entered was a local GW Comp which I won however there was only three entries and it feels kind of unfair considering I'm just a painter and the others who entered put in gaming pieces.

Here is a pic of the piece I won with, not properly taken with the background or anything but you get the idea. The freehand on the base was actually my first time trying freehand and of course it's much easier on a flat surface than on something like a standard bearer or anything. I'm looking forward to my next chance to have a go at that though.

1front1usag.png

As a lurker in this thread (because I used to love 40K when I was younger), I had to post and comment what a stunningly painted model that is.

Amazing stuff.

Thanks! Good to hear that I could make a lurker come out of hiding because of something I posted :D

Thanks to all your replies guys. Leave it to GAF to make my day heh. If anyone is interested in having a look at more of my work and seeing how I started out here's my worklog - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=136006

Just going to echo everyone else and say amazing work, ColonialRaptor. And not just the model, the base is spot on too. I really like the subtle colour difference between the steps and the eagle so it doesn't look like a homogenous lump.

Are you going to paint any of the other primarchs? Out of the Forge World models of them which one would you do next?

Konrad Curze looks like an amazing model :p

Just going to echo everyone else and say amazing work, ColonialRaptor. And not just the model, the base is spot on too. I really like the subtle colour difference between the steps and the eagle so it doesn't look like a homogenous lump.

Thanks dude, I was trying to convey the fact that the stairs were perhaps something that was under a basilica or big eagle haded monument / statue which had been blown apart and fallen onto the steps, I carefully picked out all the different pieces of both on the base to make sure that they were coloured the right way in each section.

Holy shit ColonialRaptor! Those are incredible, you should be really proud.

Ace username too.

Thanks buddy on both accounts heh :)

Are you going to paint any of the other primarchs? Out of the Forge World models of them which one would you do next?

Konrad Curze looks like an amazing model :p

Absolutely. The FW Character models are my favorite models in the world and I can't wait to have the entire collection all painted up sitting next to each other. The first one I did was Kharn and it turned out decently (not as good as horus cause I've improved a bit since then but still decent).

I've got all the currently released Primarch models and I'm hoping to get them all done eventually but that will be a long time off. Curze is on the list but I think next up will most likely be Mortarion.

Brick

Hey WarhammerGAF, I've been painting models for years out of love of the hobby (though I've never really played the game, ha. One of these days I'll give it a shot), but I realized that I don't really know anything about the universe aside from the readers-digest version of the races. Where is the best place for someone to jump in with the books?

Olengie

Hey WarhammerGAF, I've been painting models for years out of love of the hobby (though I've never really played the game, ha. One of these days I'll give it a shot), but I realized that I don't really know anything about the universe aside from the readers-digest version of the races. Where is the best place for someone to jump in with the books?

An alternative is using the wiki and lexicanum

Zackat

Eisenhorn trilogy is where I got started. Gives you a pretty good idea of everything going on, and the narrative is pretty good as well.

EYEL1NER

What faction or army do you paint the most of or like the aesthetics of most?
My first real introduction to 40K was when a friend offered to give me the Space Wolf half of the Sanctus Reach: Stormclaw box that he bought. Before it arrived, I went on the 40K Wikia (Lexicanum is definintly the better wiki to read but it was blocked on the network at work) and started reading everything I could about the Space Wolves. After learning a new term (like "Primarch") and branching off, I felt like I was pretty spun up on stuff. The fluff in the Fluff book that accompanies the Big Rule Book and the Space Wolf codex helped a lot too. After obtaining the Space Wolves, the same guy sold me his Orks, then Necrons, then Grey Knights, so I was able to read a lot about them too. Since I was interested in the Space Wolves, the first Black Library book that I bought was the first Space Wolf omnibus, which I loved. Following that was the second omnibus and the Ciaphas Cain omnibus vol 1 and 2. I haven't read much else yet but I have the first 17 or so books in the Horus Heresy, a bunch of Gaunt's Ghosts books, the Blood Angels omnibus, the Ultramarines omnibus, the Eisenhorn trilogy, and more.

My suggestion is to read up on the Lexicanum and 40K Wikia about whatever faction you like the most, be it Tau or Dark Angels or whatever. You can get a good introduction to the universe from various links in the text that you can follow. If there is anything that sounds interesting to you specifically, like the Horus Heresy or the Black Crusades or anything else, people can point you towards the best things to read from there.
One thing I personally recommend, after getting more familiar with the IG and the workings of the Imperium, is to read the Ciaphas Cain books. They are very funny books and reminiscent of the show Blackadder. If I was willing to start another army, it would be a Valhallen artillery army with Cain as a commissar.

Brick

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the recommendations! I do like the look of the Skitarii and the Orks the most, so maybe I'll start looking in that direction.

EYEL1NER

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the recommendations! I do like the look of the Skitarii and the Orks the most, so maybe I'll start looking in that direction.
Welp, I got nothing for recommendations on the Skitarii. For Orks, there is the current ongoing The Beast Arrises series that had the Orks making a major push on Terra. It seems to be pretty decent from all the accounts I have seen (including people talking about it in here). A cool portrayal I have seen of Orks Is in the second Space Wolf book. And if you like Orks, I can again recommend the Ciaphas Cain series. Ciaphas and the Valhallans spend most of the time I have seen so far fighting 'Nids and Genestealer Cults but the Orks are the sworn enemy of the Valhallan Ice Warriors and there are some confrontations, specifically a great story in the book Death or Glory. Here is a short description of the book from Wiki:
A prequel to the first novel in the series, Cain is still attached to the Valhallan 12th field artillery when the story begins. After being forced to board an escape shuttle to survive a disastrous space battle with ambushing Orkish invaders that damages the troopship he is in, Cain is reported dead in the gunfire and confusion. Landing behind enemy lines after three weeks, and after the fleet he was with makes planetfall on Perlia themselves, Cain and his aide Jurgen must make their way through an entire continent of greenskins with nothing but the supplies aboard the shuttle, what they can scrap from the Orks, and what remnants of the Perlian PDF that they can round up as they make their way back to Imperial lines.
But if you are gonna read that, then you gotta start at the beginning of the Cain series. The first omnibus on Amazon can be ordered for ~$12 but is currently OOS (will be delivered when they get more, though). The second omnibus, which contains the above story Death or Glory, is $15. I would say pick them both up: $30 or so for 1500 pages of quality 40K story is a pretty good deal.

Tacitus_

Skitarii show up generally when the AdMech shows up. The Priests of Mars trilogy is pretty nice, as is the novel Titanicus. The codex tie-in books are ok bolter, er radcarbine porn, if you don't mind a lot of "this new codex unit used this codex wargear" and "piston boosted strength".

And I heartily second the Cain books. It's Blackadder goes to Space! in 40k

EYEL1NER

Skitarii show up generally when the AdMech shows up. The Priests of Mars trilogy is pretty nice, as is the novel Titanicus. The codex tie-in books are ok bolter, er radcarbine porn, if you don't mind a lot of "this new codex unit used this codex wargear" and "piston boosted strength".

And I heartily second the Cain books. It's Blackadder goes to Space! in 40k
Awe, don't mention Titanicus! I bought a New hardback of that for $5 on Amazon and the seller ended up being one of those "Do legit business until you've got decent feedback, then sell a bunch of stuff and cut n run" kind of sellers. I got my money back ($5, lol) but I really wanted the book.

Brick, if you start reading AdMech stuff, Dark Adeptus is good (though it doesn't have Skitarii). It is the second Grey Knights book by Ben Counter. If you read that, I recommend picking up the first book as well (and get the third book, it offers a great image of what a demon world might look like and how the inhabitants would live and act). There are some people who dislike Ben Counter and I think he is more liked for his Soul Drinkers books than the Grey Knights trilogy, but I liked reading all three of them. And I misspoke earlier, the Space Wolf omnibus wasn't my first book, it was the GK omnibus, because the Space Wolf omnibus got lost somewhere for a while and was missent to Germany or Azores before reaching me.

Brick

So, after reading up a bit on AdMech stuff on wikis (I actually thought Skitarii was the catch all name and AdMech/Cult Mechanicus were the factions within), I think I do want to start in there, so I'll probably pick up Dark Adeptus. Thanks for the recommendation!

Also, if I want to jump into some regular old Space Marine books(since they seem to be the central players in 40k), is Horus Heresy (Horus Rising I think is the first book) the place to start? That's the one I always hear about, at least.

grendelrt

So, after reading up a bit on AdMech stuff on wikis (I actually thought Skitarii was the catch all name and AdMech/Cult Mechanicus were the factions within), I think I do want to start in there, so I'll probably pick up Dark Adeptus. Thanks for the recommendation!

Also, if I want to jump into some regular old Space Marine books(since they seem to be the central players in 40k), is Horus Heresy (Horus Rising I think is the first book) the place to start? That's the one I always hear about, at least.
I always recommend the first Space Wolves omnibus, there is a lot of stuff in it that explains how space Marines are built and trained.

EYEL1NER

I always recommend the first Space Wolves omnibus, there is a lot of stuff in it that explains how space Marines are built and trained.
The first Space Wolf book is fantastic, minus the fluff conflict with which Rune Priest found Ragnar. The first book though is great in the way it depicts the transformation into an Astartes. The rest of William King's Space Wolf books are also great and then the quality nosedives when he left and Lee Lightner took over, but you are correct when it comes to that first omnibus is great at showing the origins of a Space Marine: showing the transformation into a Marine, being a young impulsive newbie Marine, and then finally having some command and being a veteran.

Top Bottom