• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

wtf is going on with the Horus Heresy......... They've been doing novella's but we haven't gotten any full novels hardly for shit this year :/

Tacitus_

I Am Slaughter (The Beast Arises) Hardcover – January 12, 2016
by Dan Abnett (Author)

As the greatest Ork Waaagh! ever seen threatens to engulf the galaxy, the Imperial Fists make their last stand
It is the thirty-second millennium and the Imperium is at peace. The Traitor Legions of Chaos are but a distant memory and the many alien races that have long plagued mankind are held in check by the Space Marines. When a mission to exterminate one such xenos breed on the world of Ardamantua draws in more of their forces, the Imperial Fists abandon the walls of Terra for the first time in more than a thousand years. And when another, greater, foe strikes, even the heroic sons of Rogal Dorn may be powerless against it. The Beast Arises… and it is mighty.

(where's Warmaster tho?)

and
The Last Wall (The Beast Arises) Hardcover – April 19 said:
Despite the Imperium’s best attempts to forestall the ork plague that is wrecking havoc in human space, an ork attack moon now hangs over Terra.

A Deffstar?

AlStrong

Bit clunky.
doh.

Thanks, will skip...
I've only played the very first tutorial mission, seems like a pretty typical turn-based strategy game in a 40k skin. If you ever played the board game, it's exactly that.

I don't mind turn-based if it's anything like the recent Shadowrun games. Never played the board game.

But...idk.

wtf is going on with the Horus Heresy......... They've been doing novella's but we haven't gotten any full novels hardly for shit this year :/

Yea. :/

Been waiting for mass market versions, and......... long drought. Wouldn't mind e-book, but the pricing seems crap.

Indeed, they need to move the series on, they should do what they are doing with The Beast Arises, a book a month, hell even one every 2 months would be great.
Apparently the next novel (Pharos by Guy Haley) is a big step towards Terra, and I hope that atleast one of the 2 anthologies they have announced/teased (War Without End and Eye of Terra) will also push us closer to the end.

In a totally good way it might be:
CHrLedf.png

poster is from one of their Australia stores, but it has been confirmed by GW HQ that this is in fact in the works. Now, is this enough to get the taste of Age of Sigmar out of my mouth? Probably not (although it's worth mentioning that Black Library released/is releasing ebook versions of the 8th edition army books for free). Is the influence of Tom "Market Research is odious and buying models IS the hobby" Kirby finally gone from GW? Who knows.

Certainly something to keep an eye on. I'm actually most excited to see Necromunda or Mordheim make their return, because I feel like they'd be a nice cross of the scale of X-Wing (a handful of models) while still being set in the 40k or (actual) WHFB worlds respectively. They also used to have great campaign systems, so who knows, might be something to look into.

Credit to Ketara @ Dakkadakka. More info (and original sources) at the link.

Abaddon surpassed Horus

Abaddon almost has the Imperium to his knees, something that the primarch failed at,he let his ego get in the way

while Abaddon played it smart throughout his whole life, never accepted Daemonhood...pretty much said screw the chaos gods, im doing my own thing, and it works out for him

I'm just about done with Scars and Jaghati Khan giving Mortarion that verbal ether is
lawd.png

A small quote from it

"I see it perfectly, Magnus showed me. Your legion may be free of it for now, but the change will come. You made your pacts, and now they will come to collect. You fool
Mortarion stiffened. His eyes blazed with anger for a second, quickly quelled. 'You do not-'
'And that is why you came to fine me,' said the Khan
'You've run out of friends. Who will stand with you against the aether-weavers now? Angron? What an ally. Curze? Good luck.' The Khan gazed at Mortarion disdainfully. 'You've tasted the fruits of treachery and found them bitter. Don't drag me into your ruin. You're on your own brother.'

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just about done with Scars and Jaghati Khan giving Mortarion that verbal ether is
lawd.png

A small quote from it

"I see it perfectly, Magnus showed me. Your legion may be free of it for now, but the change will come. You made your pacts, and now they will come to collect. You fool
Mortarion stiffened. His eyes blazed with anger for a second, quickly quelled. 'You do not-'
'And that is why you came to fine me,' said the Khan
'You've run out of friends. Who will stand with you against the aether-weavers now? Angron? What an ally. Curze? Good luck.' The Khan gazed at Mortarion disdainfully. 'You've tasted the fruits of treachery and found them bitter. Don't drag me into your ruin. You're on your own brother.'

I don't think anything will ever top the verbal beat down Angron gave to Guilliman.

Tacitus_

I don't think anything will ever top the verbal beat down Angron gave to Guilliman.

I dunno, while Girlyman deserved his smackdown, Angron is still blaming others for his problems. Angron got enslaved by a human nation and had just barely managed a revolution when the Emps arrived. A bunch of primarchs also landed in shitty situations and they overcame their difficulties and made their planets prosper.
Mortarion got dropped into a poisonous hellhole, Fulgrim landed on a planet that had to meter out their population because the planet couldn't support more than that, Khan landed on a planet where the largest state hunted his finders for slaves or just fun, Lion had to survive alone in a forest filled with warp tainted beasts for a decade.

I dunno, while Girlyman deserved his smackdown, Angron is still blaming others for his problems. Angron got enslaved by a human nation and had just barely managed a revolution when the Emps arrived. A bunch of primarchs also landed in shitty situations and they overcame their difficulties and made their planets prosper.
Mortarion got dropped into a poisonous hellhole, Fulgrim landed on a planet that had to meter out their population because the planet couldn't support more than that, Khan landed on a planet where the largest state hunted his finders for slaves or just fun, Lion had to survive alone in a forest filled with warp tainted beasts for a decade.

Angron was also jealous of Guiliman as well. Jealous that Guiliman landed in a civilized world where he landed on that hell hole. Part of Angron wanted to be like Guiliman and build empires, etc.

And yeah Corax landed in a similar situation as well landing on a slave world. But he ended up starting a insurrection and freeing everyone.

Tacitus_

A-D-B said:
That’s a fair point. It’s taken me about a year to write my last three novels (Talon, Ragnar, and MoM; which I’ve been writing in secret since January). That said, I’ve sped up a lot since getting my office on the go, so I’m pretty optimistic about 2016.

Karakand

Anyone read the new Horus Heresy book yet? Kind of pissed it's ebook exclusive (i.e. no audio book), especially since it's about something I give a shit about instead of Salamanders going on a grail quest. (The end of that book still made me ;_;.)

Tacitus_

Anyone read the new Horus Heresy book yet? Kind of pissed it's ebook exclusive (i.e. no audio book), especially since it's about something I give a shit about instead of Salamanders going on a grail quest. (The end of that book still made me ;_;.)

Pharos? It was pretty good and not only because (meta plot spoilers)
it kneecapped the Secundus sideplot

Karakand

Another Abnett nonsense HH creation quietly discarded. (See: Alpha Legion) We might actually get something rad by the time this is over in ten years, brehs.

Karakand

TBH I kind of liked that twist until it was neglected for a bunch of books, then quietly thrown out an airlock (literally, lulz). In Aurelian it's pretty funny when Alpharius salutes Horus with the sign of the Aquila, for example. Even a bunch of primarchs snicker!

Tacitus_

TBH I kind of liked that twist until it was neglected for a bunch of books, then quietly thrown out an airlock (literally, lulz). In Aurelian it's pretty funny when Alpharius salutes Horus with the sign of the Aquila, for example. Even a bunch of primarchs snicker!

I liked the plot where they fucked with Coraxs reinforcement plan and one of them double crossed the other.

And the bombshell in Bequin. sogood.jpg

Maledict

I haven't read any of the Heresy books beyond the first 10 or so - what changed about the Alpha Legion and their plans after Abnett's book? I really liked the ending to that and the implication that the Alpha Legion were still loyal.

Karakand

I haven't read any of the Heresy books beyond the first 10 or so - what changed about the Alpha Legion and their plans after Abnett's book? I really liked the ending to that and the implication that the Alpha Legion were still loyal.

They still might be loyal, it's not really clear what they are now, or even if the brothers primarch running them even see eye to eye about anything anymore, but in
Deliverance Lost
they do part ways with the Cabal
by killing the emissary sent to watch them
. It's a pretty literal "taking out the trash" event.

Shame that some really interesting stuff with them and their "loyalist" counterparts the Dark Angels have been tabled for what seems like forever. In the case of the latter there's just been a freaking Garro story and a famous Fallen origin story ("More the" Merir Astellan) covering Caliban while the Lion sods off across the stars.

Unrelated: Oh shit, I need to read Bequin. That twist. 😰😰

They still might be loyal, it's not really clear what they are now, or even if the brothers primarch running them even see eye to eye about anything anymore, but in
Deliverance Lost
they do part ways with the Cabal
by killing the emissary sent to watch them
. It's a pretty literal "taking out the trash" event.

Shame that some really interesting stuff with them and their "loyalist" counterparts the Dark Angels have been tabled for what seems like forever. In the case of the latter there's just been a freaking Garro story and a famous Fallen origin story ("More the" Merir Astellan) covering Caliban while the Lion sods off across the stars.

Unrelated: Oh shit, I need to read Bequin. That twist. 😰😰

It's also been hinted that the Legion itself might be fractured and doesn't really know what's going on. In Scars when the Alpha Legion's fleet attacks the Space Wolves they do a boarding action on one of the Wolves vessels. One of the Wolves beats the crap out of an Alpha Legion astartes and keeps asking him "why" and the only response he gets is
for the emperor

So something is going on

Karakand

There's a newish release connecting the Space Wolves story in Scars to Vengeful Spirit that presumably will have some Alpha Legion stuff in it as that's where the former story ended, but reading or listening to a HH Space Wolves release now is only surpassed by "motley Istvaan survivors do X that's trivial and unimportant" on my played out as fuck list. (Who am I kidding, I'm going to consume it eventually.)

Tangent: I'm listening to A Thousand Sons again before I read the Ahriman books and I realized that all the psyker primarchs except Sanguinius were traitors. Sure some of them were kind of weak psykers (seeing the Eye of Terror isn't really interesting to the Chaos gods I imagine), but doesn't this seem a little too black and white for the mythos? Am I forgetting any other psykers?

Tacitus_

Corax and the Lion were both minor psykers. Corax could cloak himself and Lion phased his hand through a warpbeast to rip out its heart in his youth.
And while Magnus became a traitor, he so very hard tried to avert it. Hubris and some justasplanned.jpg just got in the way.

And the wolf-wolf story just wolfed them free of the Alpha Legion ambush and got them a new wolf-thread to wolf.

Tacitus_

Tbh they were all infused with some sort of warp essence so they might qualify for some sort of psyker level. Even if their only power were such a heavy presence that people couldn't look at them straight.

AlStrong

Any chance of getting novel formats of the Garro audio books? :/ I feel like I'm missing out on that whole set of stories just because they're audio-only.

Karakand

Tbh they were all infused with some sort of warp essence so they might qualify for some sort of psyker level. Even if their only power were such a heavy presence that people couldn't look at them straight.

That makes a lot of sense. I could easily see Vulkan being a weak empath or Reboot having some sort of divination capability (the theoretical / practical dialectical analysis seems to be a bit of this honestly).

Any chance of getting novel formats of the Garro audio books? :/ I feel like I'm missing out on that whole set of stories just because they're audio-only.

Shield of Lies comes with a script that I could kick your way, but that really is not a self contained story.

If he ever makes a title role novel appearance again, I could see some of them ending up in an omnibus with Flight of the Eisenstein. Throne of Lies was a nice bonus to the Night Lords omnibus.

I'm going to do a Black Library audio megapost so if you can wait for that you'll know which Garro stories are worth listening to instead of waiting for a Stormbird that may never come. :)

AlStrong

Shield of Lies comes with a script that I could kick your way, but that really is not a self contained story.

If he ever makes a title role novel appearance again, I could see some of them ending up in an omnibus with Flight of the Eisenstein. Throne of Lies was a nice bonus to the Night Lords omnibus.

I'm going to do a Black Library audio megapost so if you can wait for that you'll know which Garro stories are worth listening to instead of waiting for a Stormbird that may never come. :)

oooo awesome. I definitely have Patience.
Kys. hur hur

Kainazzo

I'm thinking of getting into the tabletop game (it'll be my first ever), but I have some questions before I commit to anything:

1. I'd like to buy all of the codices/rules digitally. There's a lot I don't know about the books, but online I'm seeing people who wished they'd waited to buy books because of "revisions". If I have the digital releases, will they be updated if anything gets changed? Not if a new edition comes out, but whatever these small "revisions" are that get released for free in other physical books. I'm picturing having to tab between the codex and three supplements, or having to buy multiple copies of something in the same year.

2. Right now, I'm in it purely for the Ad Mech. However, I'm reading rumors that a new combined and expanded codex for them is coming later this year. That's fine, I can wait for it before I start playing, but I'm curious about the models. About how often are they updated? I don't want to buy a starter set (like what's for sale on the GW website) and have it immediately become outdated. I was reading in the comments of the codex rumor that people were going to dump their models on eBay. Is that because models are rereleased with every codex/edition? Are old models illegal to use? I didn't understand.

I'm a little scared about how much this is going to cost and keep track of, so I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into. If all I wanted to do was play a game as Ad Mech, I'd just need the models, standard 7th edition rule book, objective cards/dice n' stuff, and (rumored) combined codex? Should I wait for an 8th edition? If so, should I wait 6 months after the release so I get the bug-free version? Is that how it works? Tabletop's all new me >_>.

Tacitus_

I'm thinking of getting into the tabletop game (it'll be my first ever), but I have some questions before I commit to anything:

1. I'd like to buy all of the codices/rules digitally. There's a lot I don't know about the books, but online I'm seeing people who wished they'd waited to buy books because of "revisions". If I have the digital releases, will they be updated if anything gets changed? Not if a new edition comes out, but whatever these small "revisions" are that get released for free in other physical books.

2. Right now, I'm in it purely for the Ad Mech. However, I'm reading rumors that a new combined and expanded codex for them is coming later this year. That's fine, I can wait for it before I start playing, but I'm curious about the models. About how often are they updated? I don't want to buy a starter set (like what's for sale on the GW website) and have it immediately become outdated. I was reading in the comments of the codex rumor that people were going to dump their models on eBay. Is that because models are rereleased with every codex/edition? Are old models illegal to use? I didn't understand.

It's a little scary to think about how much I might have to invest into this thing, and I'd like to at least time it so I get a few years out of this. If all I wanted to do was play a game as Ad Mech, I'd just need the models, standard 7th edition rule book, objective cards, targeting markers, and (rumored) combined codex?

You want to... buy every codex? That's a lot of money. And no, when GW releases a new edition, you get to buy it again. At most they'll release clarifications for free.

Current models are very rare to go completely poof. Rule updates can and will make someone on the internet say "this is unplayable now". Old models aren't illegal to use and depending on who you're playing with, you get a lot of leeway with "counts-as" models.

Kainazzo

You want to... buy every codex? That's a lot of money. And no, when GW releases a new edition, you get to buy it again. At most they'll release clarifications for free.

Current models are very rare to go completely poof. Rule updates can and will make someone on the internet say "this is unplayable now". Old models aren't illegal to use and depending on who you're playing with, you get a lot of leeway with "counts-as" models.

Whew, I better not end up buying every codex! No, for now I just want the Ad Mech one, and if it's true that they're combining Skitarii/Ad Mech into a new one, then I can wait a few months for that instead. I wasn't expecting new editions for free, but I guess I just wanted to know if they have a history of updating digital versions with clarifications, or if I needed to make my own notes.

Glad to know about the models, I guess that means I can go ahead and get started. Should take a few months to paint 1500 points worth anyway. Thanks!

Karakand

Armies being wiped away has happened, but the cogboys are a brand new army that everyone loves and Games Workshop always kept that faction distinct enough to protect as intellectual property (this was more of a problem with Fantasy than 40K), I think you'll be fine playing them. Praise the Omnissiah. 🙏💾💿💽📠🙏

If they were to combine the two Mechanicus armies, it'd just make more sense. Right now we have the Legio Cybernetica being called the name of the Martian religion. 😤

Tacitus_

40k has been pretty stable since the early weirdness right? Outside of the Inquisition which can't figure out what codex it's in.

Mindwipe

40k has been pretty stable since the early weirdness right? Outside of the Inquisition which can't figure out what codex it's in.

Yeah, the only full armies to get genuinely wiped out are Genestealer cults (which you can more or less replicate with allies) and Squats, and both of those haven't had a codex ever and their removal happened more or less twenty years ago.

The Inquisition books have moved around and that's been inconvenient for some models, but the bulk of Codex Deamonhunters and Codex Witchhunters was transferred to Codex Grey Knights and Codex Sisters of Battle in practice.

Oh, and the army lists that are invented for special events are generally not a good idea -the 13th Company Space Wolves and The Lost and the Damned both went, though you can build something pretty similar with Codex: Space Wolves and Codex: Chaos.

Karakand

Yeah, some shenanigans with Space Marines here and there are all I can think of, and even then it's not like you can't play with a Space Marine army if its codex gets dropped.

Finally got a copy of Tales of Heresy and was reading the short story Wolf at the Door.

Story is such fukkery, go through all that to get rid of the Dark Eldar. Only to tell a Space Wolf that you don't want to part of the Imperium
pacspit.gif

Then get immediately bodied after telling him no..
dead.png

edit: Also The Last Church was amazing, easily one of my top favorite short stories in the series.

Karakand

The Last Church is fantastic. It got a Black Library Audio release but I'm too scared to listen to it in case it isn't done well.
sadcam.png

Top Bottom