• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Coming from Dynasty Warriors 7, and loving it, is this game better? Is there a free/conquest mode in addition to the story?

It's better, but most of the neat advances DW7 introduced are not implemented here. There is no cool-ass conquest map. What the tradeoff is is a massive amount of stages and characters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so you keep replaying story mode with different character sets?

Pretty much. The DLC gives a lot of stages too - but there's a lack of low-level stages so you won't feel a TON of variety if you're leveling up a lot of different lv1 teams. So that's really the biggest drawback.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Pretty much. The DLC gives a lot of stages too - but there's a lack of low-level stages so you won't feel a TON of variety if you're leveling up a lot of different lv1 teams. So that's really the biggest drawback.

You can use growth points to level characters up to the point where you can use them in higher difficulty stages, at least.

shiroryu

Ok. Want to give this a go. Weird that I missed this game completely, thought Musou Orochi Z was the last entry. Now to track down an EU disc...I could get it digital from the US, but the DLC would be a headache.

How many costume sets do you get relatively cheaply? DW7 was awesome with them offering past costumes from games for $2 each, though the special costumes at $5 was too much.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ok. Want to give this a go. Weird that I missed this game completely, thought Musou Orochi Z was the last entry. Now to track down an EU disc...I could get it digital from the US, but the DLC would be a headache.

How many costume sets do you get relatively cheaply? DW7 was awesome with them offering past costumes from games for $2 each, though the special costumes at $5 was too much.

It's basically the same deal here. Costume packs from old games are around $2-$3 each, special costume packs like the DW/SW swap costumes and the Strikeforce costumes are $5.

shiroryu

It's basically the same deal here. Costume packs from old games are around $2-$3 each, special costume packs like the DW/SW swap costumes and the Strikeforce costumes are $5.

Good to know. I'm also glad this got good reviews...perhaps the fantasy stories nature of things made the "you gotta know Chinese/Japanese history to truly appreciate this" aspect weaker, but it's still the same characters.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also I'm really glad to see that people are still getting into this game. I've barely been playing it lately, basically only when new DLC comes out (but c'mon, I've put 170-ish hours into it), but it really does deserve more love, and I'm glad people are still enjoying it.

Got the Strikeforce costumes and I rather like how they look.

Disappointed that the Other costumes weren't released but I guess we gotta keep that DLC support till October!

It's been a while, but time for the last set of DLC for this game.

STAGE PACK 10
New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. An in-game music track is also included.

New stages:
"Rescue at Honnōji"
"Sekigahara Sprint"
"New Recruits"
"Demon Rescue"
"Wuhang Mayhem"

Additional music:
1 additional track will be available.

STAGE PACK 11
New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield.

New stages:
"Sorcery and Ninjutsu"
"The Fairer Sex"
"The Path to Paradise"
"The Rescue of Diaochan"
"Famed Tacticians"
"Kaguya's Keepers"

DWSF COSTUME - OTHER 1
Special costumes will be available for selection for the 16 characters under Other 1, with most based on their designs in the DYNASTY WARRIORS: Strikeforce or DYNASTY WARRIORS series.

How to use:
At Select Team, choose any of the 16 characters and select Change Costume.

DWSF COSTUME - OTHER 2
Special costumes will be available for selection for the 15 characters under Other 2, with most based on their designs in the DYNASTY WARRIORS: Strikeforce or DYNASTY WARRIORS series.

How to use:
At Select Team, choose any of the 15 characters and select Change Costume.

As usual, link for images and such.

At least I'll be able to platinum this game now with all the costumes now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good to know this is the end. Now I gotta just pay for it! ;(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm super disappointed that we didn't get that many DLC weapons. Some characters are still stuck with ridiculous looking big star weapons, like Pang Tong. =/

I'm super disappointed that we didn't get that many DLC weapons. Some characters are still stuck with ridiculous looking big star weapons, like Pang Tong. =/

Yeah, disappointed that they basically dropped the whole idea of DLC weapons after the first few stages.

Couldn't have been that hard to basically copy and paste the ones from DW7 to begin with!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Woo! And thats the last X-mas gift I was trying to find a deal on. Thanks for this. My whole family is into this game and I wanted to get a copy of this for someone after playing it. Now he too can experience the awesome that is Nemea.

Awesome! Glad I could help! :D

Jessicat

Hey all, sorry to kick up an old thread, but I've been wanting to give this game a go and I don't know which version to get; how different is the WiiU version from the PS3 one? I'm considering nabbing a cheap PAL copy of the PS3 version over downloading, because bandwidth caps still exist in Canada :/ The WiiU version seems to be dropping in price so they're about the same cost-wise. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :3

shaowebb

Hey all, sorry to kick up an old thread, but I've been wanting to give this game a go and I don't know which version to get; how different is the WiiU version from the PS3 one? I'm considering nabbing a cheap PAL copy of the PS3 version over downloading, because bandwidth caps still exist in Canada :/ The WiiU version seems to be dropping in price so they're about the same cost-wise. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :3

The Wii U version has several exclusive characters and they all seem pretty good to me. I really dig the footage of the guy whose attacks create plantlife. Other than that I don't know specifics.

PS360 version ( either is fine ) is the way to go if you want extra content indeed.
I think the versus mode is nothing special and i can't buy a game for 2 extra characters when i already have 130+

Leezard

PS360 version ( either is fine ) is the way to go if you want extra content indeed.
I think the versus mode is nothing special and i can't buy a game for 2 extra characters when i already have 130+

Yeah, there's more than enough characters in the PS360 versions.

qq more

I heard the online in this (on the Wii U) is pretty barebones. Does it in any way include communications between online friends?

Vodh

Ok, I just got the game, and as a casual Musou fan I already love it! But it seems (like most of the more sophisticated games of the genre) a bit overwhelming at start. Should I just power level a character or two and use them in all the scenarios, leveling the others through the bonus points? What's the best strategy for upgrading weapons? Is there an offline way to earn crystals?

shaowebb

Ok, I just got the game, and as a casual Musou fan I already love it! But it seems (like most of the more sophisticated games of the genre) a bit overwhelming at start. Should I just power level a character or two and use them in all the scenarios, leveling the others through the bonus points? What's the best strategy for upgrading weapons? Is there an offline way to earn crystals?

If you try to level all the others through bonus points it'll take you an eternity. Best thing to do is use them to level up a single dude when you want to try them out. Just enough levels so they don't die in a hit or so and you can make it through the battle. They'll gain a bunch of levels anyhow this way and you can test out there moveset and tricks this way. After that if you liked em dump it all and you got an alternative dude to play at times and fun times ahead.

The offline way to earn crystals is simply to do triple attack. The more dudes you kill the more you get so abuse it like CRAZY in crowds. You wont get crystals on easy...I think. Also abuse that triple attack when you are getting pounded because INVINCIBILITY so its also a way outta trouble if a general is taking you down.

Best bet for upgrading weapons is try for a weapon with as many stars on it as you can get ASAP. Big Star weapons are amazing for some folks more than others because even though they start out shit they level up in attack power and out do the 4 star weapons in most cases. Only a few folks like Lu Bu or Susano-O are better with 4 star over Big Star. The thing is they cost crystals.

Also the higher difficulty the stage you just beat the BETTER the weapons you will be awarded in the lottery if you got lotto tickets to use.

As for weapon upgrading fusing weapons together is VITAL. Got 2 of the same weapon? One has a might attribute and the other a brawn attribute? FUSE EM! Now you got a weapon with two attributes on it and you can have up to 8! Just keep fusing weapons with blank attribute slots to the one you want to build up and you will have free slots to socket more attributes for during fusion. Also attributes STACK. Got a might+3 on a weapon and a might +4 on another? FUSE EM! Now you got a weapon with a might +7!!

Just remember though that your attack stat for a weapon doesn't increase by fusing it with others. Just the attribute stats you add to it as bonus abilities do. A weapon's attack stat higher depending on how many stars the weapon is and THAT amount only increases based on your weapon compatibility. You increase that stat by simply using THAT weapon more often.

Go forth and beast. By the way Nemea is fucking amazing and I love him. Also running away as Liu Shan and then turning and popping his musou is a good tactic for destroying dudes. Once they chase him they get pretty packed in a line and he has HUGE distance on his laser musou. Its not good for wide crowds because its a narrow beam but if you get a line following you it can strip the field...especially in narrow areas and doorways. Surprisingly great character with that and his speed.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just a heads up, WO3 just dropped to $30 on PSN. Permanent price drop. If you know anyone who's been on the fence about it, let them know! :D

Just wanted to post I picked up this game for PSN. Would love to play with anyone else if they don't mind I'm rather under leveled at the moment :)

Marvie_3

Banned
Finally finished grinding all the characters up to S proficiency. Now I just need to finish up Chaos mode and I can finally be done with this game.

Just bought this on PSN as pe the recommendation of dakku(instead of Empire) I haven't played a Warriors/musou game since the second one way back in the day when I was a youngling. Is there anything I should know in particular?

Not really.
Be sure to try most of the classes (speed,power,wonder)

And dont hesitate to stick to your favorite fighters the first time you play.
But do try new commers most of the time

Just bought this on PSN as pe the recommendation of dakku(instead of Empire) I haven't played a Warriors/musou game since the second one way back in the day when I was a youngling. Is there anything I should know in particular?

Not at all.

There's nothing missable in this game and probably the best advice is to use whoever you like and have fun.

Not at all.

There's nothing missable in this game and probably the best advice is to use whoever you like and have fun.

Awesome, started and I'm enjoying myself so far. Is weird though to go from a super smooth 60 FPS while roaming to sub 30 while actually fighting constantly :D

Edit: One more thing. How does difficulty work in this game? Should I play on normal or jump straight to hard? Does the latter require better weapons?

Awesome, started and I'm enjoying myself so far. Is weird though to go from a super smooth 60 FPS while roaming to sub 30 while actually fighting constantly :D

Edit: One more thing. How does difficulty work in this game? Should I play on normal or jump straight to hard? Does the latter require better weapons?

The game can drag if there are too many enemies on screen and it does have somewhat of a problem with enemies popping in since the engine just can't materialize them in-time.

The higher the difficulty, the stronger the enemies while you'll be getting better weapon drops and exp gain. Generally, if you are running with new characters normal or lower would be ok and hard mode and higher should be for characters that are decently leveled.

The difficulty also follows the number of stars that each stage is.

The game can drag if there are too many enemies on screen and it does have somewhat of a problem with enemies popping in since the engine just can't materialize them in-time.

The higher the difficulty, the stronger the enemies while you'll be getting better weapon drops and exp gain. Generally, if you are running with new characters normal or lower would be ok and hard mode and higher should be for characters that are decently leveled.

The difficulty also follows the number of stars that each stage is.

Cool, having a bit of trouble deciding who to play with so many joining each battle :D

I'm playing local coop currently, does that allow me to raise more bonds/do more missions given he's playing a different team?

Cool, having a bit of trouble deciding who to play with so many joining each battle :D

I'm playing local coop currently, does that allow me to raise more bonds/do more missions given he's playing a different team?

I believe that you'll raise bonds between the characters on the map with each team but not sure if the teams will raise bonds with the other teams.

Missions are dependent on the NPCS on the stage.

Hard and chaos are the only way to get the best drop in some maps BUt hard will be too hard untill your characters have decent levels.

Even with total mastery of the battle system, i don't play hard/chaos ( mostly chaos) with a character less than lv 15. Anything less and you won't have enough Life to survive.

Hard and chaos are the only way to get the best drop in some maps BUt hard will be too hard untill your characters have decent levels.

Even with total mastery of the battle system, i don't play hard/chaos ( mostly chaos) with a character less than lv 15. Anything less and you won't have enough Life to survive.

Well another reason is that your character wouldn't have learned all their moves yet till like level 20 or so and some of the character's most useful moves could be one of their last things they learn.

Awesome, thanks guys. Will get characters to 20 before trying the harder difficulties. Are there any story elements that change?

Just got the the stage where
You're in modern day Japan, I think the stage inspired by Ninja Gaiden 2
This game is rad.

Edit: Lol Ryu

Have the developers said anything about next gen plans yet? There are moment wheres it'll be 60 FPS in battle with dozens/hundreds of units everywhere and it's so smooth. Those moments tend to be fleeting though.

Awesome, thanks guys. Will get characters to 20 before trying the harder difficulties. Are there any story elements that change?

Just got the the stage where
You're in modern day Japan, I think the stage inspired by Ninja Gaiden 2
This game is rad.

Nope, not really, the story will be the same.

Funny enough, in some stages where you have to kill someone before they kill a NPC or protect a NPC, it's easier the higher the difficulty, since your NPC allies have more health there.

Musashi Miyamoto is awesome.

That is all. :)

Feel free to add me on PSN if you want to co-op older chapters.

Musashi Miyamoto is awesome.

That is all. :)

Feel free to add me on PSN if you want to co-op older chapters.

I will but I won't be home for a week(ie, free to play online) Visiting family in one of the more boring states, me and the cousin are doing split screen.

Edit: Jeez, I just unlocked 7 characters at once, it's too much! I've been doing the recommended characters as well for the story bits.

I will but I won't be home for a week(ie, free to play online) Visiting family in one of the more boring states, me and the cousin are doing split screen.

Edit: Jeez, I just unlocked 7 characters at once, it's too much! I've been doing the recommended characters as well for the story bits.

The only caveat for using the recommended characters is that they start at level 1 even if the stage is on Chapter 3 or something.

Nothing a little grinding through old stages won't fix though or through growth points.

I recommend NOT using the recommend characters, as you'll still get to see their story lines of text, plus you can focus on characters you want to use. Plus, this gives you a chance to improve your Bonds with the characters, which comes in to help quite a bit later. Of course, if you want to try everyone out, that's fine as well, but you'll quickly find favorites to use.

Cool, feel free to add me whenever then.

EYEL1NER

I don't think I have ever seen a general Musou OT or appreciation thread and I remembered this had some activity recently, so I figured I would ask here: Is anyone making a Dynasty Warriors 8 thread?
It's coming out pretty soon... (though I guess it got delayed in PAL-land?)

I was playing some WO3 a couple days ago for the first time in a good minute. I've been reading the Three Kingdoms books while at work (I'm somewhere in the 40s maybe, chapter-wise? Kongming is hanging out with Sun Quan right now to convince him to aid Xuande and refuse Cao Cao) and I re-watched Red Cliff over the weekend, so I have been on a big RotTK kick. I ended up popping this in so I could fuck Cao Ren and Xiahou Dun and others up; they've been pissing me off in the books.

I don't think I have ever seen a general Musou OT or appreciation thread and I remembered this had some activity recently, so I figured I would ask here: Is anyone making a Dynasty Warriors 8 thread?
It's coming out pretty soon... (though I guess it got delayed in PAL-land?)

I was playing some WO3 a couple days ago for the first time in a good minute. I've been reading the Three Kingdoms books while at work (I'm somewhere in the 40s maybe, chapter-wise? Kongming is hanging out with Sun Quan right now to convince him to aid Xuande and refuse Cao Cao) and I re-watched Red Cliff over the weekend, so I have been on a big RotTK kick. I ended up popping this in so I could fuck Cao Ren and Xiahou Dun and others up; they've been pissing me off in the books.

Ah, I am. Got all the graphics done. Just gotta do all the pretty words and wait the whole one week before actual release before I post it. Completely opened to snappy OT quotes though so bring those on!

Top Bottom