• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

rybrad

Never played Wasteland or the Fallouts but this sounds pretty interesting and god knows I have blown $15 on way worse things.

Zeliard

The challenge with a Kickstarter is convincing your potential backers that you can deliver. DFA had the advantage of Double Fine's clear ability to deliver products along with the two key names of Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert. That's what carried them to such a level. Similarly this one has a veritable list of RPG luminaries signed up to contribute, as well as the key factor of the Wasteland name.

However, that sort of convincer isn't going to work for every single project. Just look at the Serellan LLC tactical shooter; the names behind it aren't that well known (I'm not a fan of tactical shooters, but is it right to say that they're not even that well-known *within* the fanbase?). They might meet their funding goal, but their model requires input beyond their funding goal; it's not entirely funded by the kickstarter, and depending on how much they actually *really* need, I'm not sure it could realistically be.

That's not to say that it's impossible for projects that don't have Big Names to throw at people to be successful, but they'll need some *other* X Factor involved to convince backers that there really will be a game for them at the end of the process to get the sort of funding DFA and (it looks like) Wasteland 2 will.

That said, I'm speaking solely in terms of multimillion dollar projects, here, and there's plenty of scope at a much smaller level to thrive off KS.

I completely agree. I've posted before that the big secret to a highly successful Kickstarter is to have a cool story with a sense of longing and fondness behind the style of game you're going for; that's the X-factor.

With Double Fine, it's Tim Schafer & Ron Gilbert wanting to make a new adventure game that calls back to the Lucasarts classics. That notion basically sells itself. With Wasteland 2, it's Brian Fargo wanting to make, well, Wasteland 2. :p He's been very smart to continuously name-drop Fallout, because while many people may have no idea what Wasteland is, Fallout is a big name not only due to Fallout 3/NV but also because Fallout 1 and 2 are basically legendary.

The ones that will have a lot of difficulty are indeed the ones without that sort of immediately attractive story behind them. I'm guessing the hardcore tactical shooter is seeing problems because it doesn't really call back to any specific games (outside of maybe Ghost Recon) and doesn't have a well-known name behind it.

Another issue, I think, is that the Kickstarter games have to have a successful start pretty quickly, so people who are hesitant decide to jump on it. I don't doubt that the tactical shooter is seeing problems partly because it's raised so little money. It's sort of a vicious cycle; many people are probably hesitant to pledge for a product that seems to have a hard time raising money, and it has a hard time raising money because people are hesitant to pledge.

Orayn

so what happens if development takes longer than 1 year and they ask for more funding? what if they cancel? is there any legal backing to this to get money back? just wan tot make sure before i potentially fund

Kickstarter is clear that projects are subject to getting sued by backers if they fail to deliver.

Clydefrog

Gamers sure are generous. and you can't count out their charitable side either.. remember how much they raised during that TF2 Japan tsunami charity? I think it was close to $500k in a few days.

091010_streak_obama_02.jpg

EDIT: ninja'ed so hard

Wildesy

The goal for the Wasteland 2 project is $900k to get the game started, combined with a $100k investment from you, for a total of $1M. Amazingly enough (but not surprisingly), that $900k goal was reached after less than two days. Do you have plans set up for what you'll focus on expanding first if the funded amount goes to $2M? $3M? Beyond?

BF: Assuming we go way beyond the goal we will continue to balance adding more content and other formats. We have already committed to Linux/Mac at $1.5 million so I imagine there could be a tablet version after that.

If you get more money than you expect Fargo, make a better game, not a fucking tablet version. I'll rage if money contributed to this project is spent developing a half arse, cheap cash in tablet version.

(I do realise he goes on to say in the next sentence that their aim is not compromising the PC version, but I think the point needs to be made regardless. I think I can say reasonably confidently that it isn't something the fans want.)

mclem

Kickstarter is clear that projects are subject to getting sued by backers if they fail to deliver.

I'm curious on what grounds that would lie. There doesn't seem to be any contract involved, unless there's an implicit one somewhere. I assume that Kickstater would at least testify on our behalf or something?

Decado

If you get more money than you expect Fargo, make a better game, not a fucking tablet version. I'll rage if money contributed to this project is spent developing a half arse, cheap cash in tablet version.

(I do realise he goes on to say in the next sentence that their aim is not compromising the PC version, but I think the point needs to be made regardless. I think I can say reasonably confidently that it isn't something the fans want.)
And at the very least it shouldn't be developed along side the PC version (ported afterward). All their resources should be devoted to making the best game they can on the platform gamers invested into.

Honestly, I think ports should be on their own dollar. They're going to make more money off these other versions (otherwise, why bother?).

Also...I'm still unclear how they were planning to make a game like Wasteland 2 for 900k (unless it had minimal graphics/animations). Even back in the 90s I'm sure Fallout 1 cost millions to make.

Dipswitch

Never played the original (But did finish Fallout 1 & 2), so I'm in for the basic game. May bump up my pledge once I find out more about the original game and how the sequel is likely to play.

Nice to see that Doublefine (Who I also pledged to) didn't hoover up all of the Kickstarter game dollars. This just might be a valid fundraising avenue for niche titles going forward.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm curious on what grounds that would lie. There doesn't seem to be any contract involved, unless there's an implicit one somewhere. I assume that Kickstater would at least testify on our behalf or something?

I think it's more on the grounds they lied to you and took your money for other than what they said with no intentions of delivering the product. If they simply tried as hard as they could and failed to come through, I doubt you'd win anything.

Eteric Rice

I wonder if they could ever do something where fans could invest money into the development of a game, and get returns on it if it were successful.

That would be pretty awesome.

NO. Please make a tablet version.

Playing an isometric strategy game like Fallout on IPad 3 in high res would be fucking awesome.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I wouldn't think adding a touch interface for windows 8 too be a huge burden, since it should just run with traditional inputs on the standard windows build anyways.

I don't know anything about Mac to IOS . How much effort is there porting a Mac/OS games to IOS currently? Do they share a code base at all? Or would it be very financially prohibitive?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why? iPad is a huge market.

isometric 2.5D and turn based is perfect for iPad. It should be the lead platform since the market is huge.

If we were getting a monetary return for our "investment," I'd totally demand an iPad version (despite never intending to own one). It's something they should do, but they should do it themselves with whatever profit they make off the version we "invested" in.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
First off this entire thing was geared toward PC gamers, and two they're going to have finite resources as it is.

yeah, their market is people who funded them and nobody else. As much as I would love to see this on iPad I have to admit it.

Fuck the ipad. We all funded a PC game first and foremost.

Anyway, these kickstarter funded games add a lot of pressure I would imagine, since if the game turns out great, they could get funded for a sequel or new title, but if it turns out to be shit, they will never get funded again.

Goes for Double Fine too.

Aselith

Just like porting to consoles never compromise PC games, right Fargo? Just develop fully for PC THEN compromise your vision for Angry Bird money.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I know they mentioned updating the graphics, but I still hope they keep some inspiration from the era of EGA graphic presentation - alongside being true to (at least every piece of media I've seen of) the original, the colour palette could lend itself to a really striking visual style.

Tobor

This is pretty silly. He's talking about money above 1.5 mil, and I guarantee you the people here who want an ipad version aren't alone. It's not compromising anything to do ports to tablets.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Update #2: Wasteland 2 is a GO!

Sorry we are late. We honestly thought we had another week to write this update…

YOU DID IT! We are funded and Wasteland 2 is a reality. A dream that began more than 20 years ago has actually come true. After years of attempting to get Wasteland 2 kicked off and countless pitch meetings to every major publisher out there, we had almost given up. Even six months ago we didn’t see any way that Wasteland 2 was ever going to happen. Then the world suddenly changed.

This is a paradigm shift that is way bigger than Wasteland 2. This is the beginning of a new era in gaming where the developer gets to work directly with the fans to build the type of product that the fans want. No focus groups, no pitches to the marketing team, no trying to get an executive committee to group-think their way to a project green-light. Now we just have a developer with a creative idea that resonates and a group of dedicated fans who are willing to lay down their money to buy it.

We knew we were taking a risk by asking for the most money anyone had ever asked for on Kickstarter, but we did it because every time we have interacted with the gaming community for the last decade they have asked about getting this sequel done. Even while we have been on press tours for other products, doing press interviews and presentations all over the planet, it always comes up. When are we getting Wasteland? Well, I finally have an answer for everyone. You all get a Wasteland Sequel in October of next year! Not only did we meet the highest funding goal ever on Kickstarter, we did it in 2 days! I know… we can’t believe it either.

So thank you all for making this happen, and please don’t stop spreading the word. If the entire community continues to help spread this through social media, there is no telling how much money we can raise. Every time you get someone else to participate, you are working to make the game bigger and better. We will be making some announcements very soon about what we will be adding to the development if we hit even higher levels.

Thanks again,

Your friends at inXile

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts

maybe Obsidian should try for a 1mil rpg,i think they can fund it,and it will be a good additional project to work for a while and also can sell it afterwards via stream etc....................

Wiktor

The last thing we need after waiting 24 years for Wasteland sequel is to have it butchered just to make interface touchcreen friendly and graphics able to run on that weak-ass hardware.

They need to sse kickstarter money to make the best PC game you can. And after that, if it does well they can port it to whatever they want, tablets included

Im still hoping this gets more funding so that we can get a larger, better world and more quests and stuff.

Im glad the release date is October 2013. Gives them enough time to ensure a quality game.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
This is pretty silly. He's talking about money above 1.5 mil, and I guarantee you the people here who want an ipad version aren't alone. It's not compromising anything to do ports to tablets.

Maybe instead of assuming things you just check out this poll on their website?

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=336&view=viewpoll

1% of the respondents picked iOS/Android porting.

So yeah, there are greater priorities at the moment (even at 1.5M to be quite honest.)

sTeLioSco

Banned
I don't know the original and I haven't played even Fallout, what can I expect from it?
It's turn based, right?
Something liked Jagged Alliance speaking of the gameplay?

when you are in combat its like Jagged Alliance.turn based,do your actions and then the enemy...has strategy cause you have your team and arrange moves as long as you like and then press "end turn"
when not in combat walk and talk to npcs in different town,areas in the map.........

They need to sse kickstarter money to make the best PC game you can. And after that, if it does well they can port it to whatever they want, tablets included

That's the stated goal, so I don't think anyone needs to worry about resources being diverted to an iOS port.

disap.ed, just to do a video search for Wasteland, Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I know the division between PC gaming and Tablet gaming can be a large (and bitter) one but I think a tablet version of such a game could easily be ported over (in regards to game mechanics). And I believe it would be a first of its kind as far as robustness. I would want PC to be the lead platform though (which it is).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I pledged and everything, but I'm almost as eager to see the fan lashback when the project gets delayed past October 2013.

just had a discussion about this on Twitter. I hope it WILL be delayed because it's very hard to do a deep RPG in a year and half even though they had a year of concept phase. And if Fargo keeps everybody updated nobody will lash at him hard. Given its audience specifics most people will gladly wait.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Can you even imagine what happens when Kickstarter 2.0 (or whatever it will be called) clears SEC admin and can offer investors POINTS in a product they finance?

Shit is going to get kerazy.

disap.ed

when you are in combat its like Jagged Alliance.turn based,do your actions and then the enemy...has strategy cause you have your team and arrange moves as long as you like and then press "end turn"
when not in combat walk and talk to npcs in different town,areas in the map.........

Thank you.
I kind of always prefered Commandos' gameplay mechanics, is it likely that this project will take a similiar route?

Top Bottom