• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

I made a trailer using gameplay that i'd recorded during my playthough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDPEaV00ros

Here's a gif of a small part of it:
CommonSlipperyGalah.gif

TSM

I didn't know Gsync was released

Got mine here:

http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/nvidia-gsync/products/asus-vg248qe-g-sync

Be warned that the panel warranty is voided, the only thing under warranty is the g-sync upgrade kit. I had no problems with mine, but let the buyer beware.

It's an awesome monitor for gaming if you can put up with the dreadful TN panel image quality. It's a 6bit TN panel so banding can be pretty bad after calibration. Also the black level is pretty terrible.

The plus sides are backlight strobing and no tearing while with v-sync off which also gives you the highest frame rate possible while still having the least input lag possible.

Dennis

Banned
ah I figured for size purposes...

If I may, what do you use to record the videos and what settings do you use for the webms?

ShadowPlay can't record Borderless Windowed at all, and it like Fullscreen is really not ideal :[

I use FRAPS to record the videos.

webms I encode with a constant 12k bitrate and VP8.

Denton

Very nice. I am still in the section of the city where you start. I haven't been downtown or anywhere else yet.

I haven't done any story missions yet.

You guys sure play your videogames fast.

Hah. I have done maybe 6 or 7 story missions did a lot of collectible stuff. Invading people's homes is entertaining. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes mundane. As it should be.
Btw I also record with fraps, it works for borderless fullscreen without issue.

My game is broken. I put everying on the lowest settings and the game still does this constant lockup for 5-10 seconds at a time BS. My comp is good enough, and has run the game on a mixture of high and ultra settings.

I just wish I could run this without it hitching whenever I drive somewhere.

4.39 ghz i5-2500k
geforce gtx 770 2gb
8 gb ram

What's the best way for me to be able to actually play this? lol

Dries

4.39 ghz i5-2500k
geforce gtx 770 2gb
8 gb ram

my setup is the same. I have my 2500k OC'ed to 4.1 ghz. I assume your's is also OC'ed?

Anyway. All my graphics settings are set to Ultra with the only exception being Texture quality which I've set to High, considering my (and your) 2GB of VRAM. This gets me a pretty consistent 40-50 fps!

When driving, it often drops to minus 40, but I hear that's a common problem........ *shakes fist at Ubisoft*

Oh and btw, I cap my framerate at 45 using Dxtory. This way my fps isn't all over the place and stays consistent. Much nicer on my eyes.

anyone try this with a 460gtx w/ 768mb vram?

I wonder if it is worth trying at all with that card. I'm guessing I will have to play on medium settings? Maybe that's not too bad.
Found this video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLi6YKXsduA

shows the difference in performance between high and medium settings. The 460 used here has 1gb vram though (instead of 768).

Seems like a decent experience.

I was going to post my experience with SLI'd 1GB GTX 460s but it's largely irrelevant but still abbreviated version, VSynced at 60FPS at 1080p was of little issue with medium and LOD on high (might drop this back to medium with more play time) with MHBAO and forced 16xAF, I think I had a bit of room to spare to use AA which along with shadows (and reflections) are the things I usually turned down, I currently have AA off but I'll probably turn FXAA on when I get back to it.

The 768MB version probably won't have much problem with most stuff at medium at 30FPS.

Denton

4.39 ghz i5-2500k
geforce gtx 770 2gb
8 gb ram

Try out borderless window and textures to medium or high.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
i7 3820 @ 4.6
Titan + 100Mhz
16GB @ 2133
512GB SSD

Every single setting on max; buffer turned off. At 1080p, I'm hovering at low 50s most the time, with lots of sub 40 dips when driving fast. Running around on foot, though, and causing a ruckus keeps me just shy of 60fps most of the time.

This is now the third game on my list to not stay above 60fps most of the time with everything maxxed. The other two are Battlefield 4 and Witcher 2 with ubersampling.

The sub 50 feels okay, though I hate whatever bullshit mouse acceleration they've used. Ugh. Why do developers do that... I just want my mouse to work the way it does on my desktop. If they could fix the damn driving issue, I'd be pretty happy with the performance. I'm sure after another driver update, I'll stay at 60fps for the out-of-vehicle stuff.

I think I figured out part of my mega-stutter problem. My evga precision-x program was locking my frame rate at 30 like I thought. I think my GPU was overheating. When I open it on a nother screen while playing I can see it getting up to ~80C (and that's at 30 fps). With it locked at 30 The freezing isn't as bad but now I'm dealing with actual stuttering. I also noticed the stuttering was WAY worse when I ran the game on a refresh other than what my monitor is running (I have gsync)

raidersx

Okay so i'm like half way done with the game and it keeps freezing. It ran fine up until this point. I can go anywhere on the map like side missions and online but when I try to do the story mission in pawnee it crashes. Anybody have this problem or a fix for this?

Carlius

Banned
call me crazy, but once i unparked my cpus, i was hitting 40-50ish fps constant on watch dogs.

this is on ultra textures, no DOF, emedium shadows and everything else maxed out with 3 gpu buffer and no vsync.

670 2GB, i7 930 and 18gb ddr3. game works perfectly and very smoothly

Herne

Has anyone noticed that the driving sounds are mostly coming out of the right speaker? At first I thought it was due to some quirk of my setup, but then I switched to my headphones, which are connected to a different sound card, and I got the same result (speakers are connected to onboard Realtek, headphones to a Sound Blaster Z). Really strange.

call me crazy, but once i unparked my cpus, i was hitting 40-50ish fps constant on watch dogs.

Unparked your cpu? What?

Skyzard

Banned
SET SuperSampling="0" (it is by default)

Unless you want missing GUI elements in your campaign hacking security code things (you don't).

my setup is the same. I have my 2500k OC'ed to 4.1 ghz. I assume your's is also OC'ed?

Anyway. All my graphics settings are set to Ultra with the only exception being Texture quality which I've set to High, considering my (and your) 2GB of VRAM. This gets me a pretty consistent 40-50 fps!

When driving, it often drops to minus 40, but I hear that's a common problem........ *shakes fist at Ubisoft*

Oh and btw, I cap my framerate at 45 using Dxtory. This way my fps isn't all over the place and stays consistent. Much nicer on my eyes.

Try out borderless window and textures to medium or high.

Switching shadows from ultra to high gave me a nice performance boost.

Yep, overclocked. Thanks guys, took all of this advice and it's running pretty well now.. But I'm capping my framerate at 50 :)

nbthedude

780ti holding up well? may double dip, the 720p version is great, but i'd like to test out my pc.

Everything on ultra except textures (set to high) and you'll have smooth sailing. Or textures to ultra and put up with some stuttering during driving (at least until a patch).

Either way certainly better quality than you'll get on console.

Everything on ultra except textures (set to high) and you'll have smooth sailing. Or textures to ultra and put up with some stuttering during driving (at least until a patch).

Either way certainly better quality than you'll get on console.

It's on steam right? I may just bite the bullet now.

nbthedude

It's on steam rin. I may just bite the bullet now.
Yes. But keep in mind that even the Steam version uses Uplay. But you can configure it to just minimize, auto-log in and auto-boot the game easily and you never have to look at it again. That is what I do and I can boot it straight through Steam in Big Picture mode using just controller and no mouse or keyboard

Just get a uplay code from getgamesgo.com

Its 20% off and you have to use uplay in the steam version anyway.

american? tried it.. won't let me buy it.
yup it's not for the states. any deals out there for americans? or should i just pay full price.. 120$ for one game seems high.

GHG

american? tried it.. won't let me buy it.

I'm currently in the UAE and bought from them just fine using my UK card. Ive also bought from them just fine multiple times when I was back in the UK.

Contact support if you're having issues but they support paypal, so just use that if you can.

I'm currently in the UAE and bought from them just fine using my UK card. Ive also bought from them just fine multiple times when I was back in the UK.

Contact support if you're having issues but they support paypal, so just use that if you can.

i didn't even get to the payment screen. after adding my billing address it said something like please remove items from cart. i'll just wait for the steam sale. the xbone version will last me.. although a nice 1080p 60fps sounds enticing.

2-frame vsync is so weird on my PC.

With the monitor at 50hz it gives me 25fps, but with the monitor at 60hz it gives me 20fps. 1-frame vsync at 60hz gives me locked 30fps but not that console-style "smooth" 30fps; it's jerky and inconsistent and basically nasty.

It turns out running my monitor at 70hz has 2-frame vsync give me a smooth and consistent 35fps with no drops or jerkiness, and I'm finally happy with the performance.

cripterion

So got in the game, get into an online hacking match, and my dude just starts randomly shooting, I'm not even pressing any buttons, guy spots me of course, dead... WTF?

I like the game but these bugs coupled with the online performance (not able to get into games) is just ridiculous.

Dries

I am actually pleased with how the game is running on my system. Stuttering happens only during driving, and it's not on such a level that it ruins my enjoyment. And I actually think it looks amazing. I'm playing with everything on Ultra (except textues), so maybe that's the reason lol.

KaiserAlucard

Neo Member
I really hope they will fix those texture issues, because I can't stand to play the game with medium textures when my rig should be able to withstand high textures. SLI GTX 670 2Gb should be able right?

fozzy

Suddenly I'm getting Display driver crashes every 5 minutes now. Using the latest nvidia beta drivers. Is it worth trying the older ones?

Edit - also it takes far too long to find any online hacking or tailing.

Top Bottom