• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

squidyj

well. it's all relatively safe and everything. it's not like there are 'chalk-painted' savages who can attack her in the area or anything. heels and corporate skirt suit that would be hard to run into is totes appropriate.

DONT HATE SQUIDERS

DONT U DARE HATE ON HER HEELS >:O

SHE WENT INTO THE BACK COUNTRY WEARING HIGH HEELS AND THEN COMPLAINED ABOUT THE INCONVENIENCE OF GOING INTO THE BACK COUNTRY WITH HEELS ON. IT MAKES ME DOUBT HER COMPETENCE AS A RUTHLESS EXECUTIVE. SHE CANT EVEN MAKE SMART DECISIONS ABOUT HER FEET.

SHE WENT INTO THE BACK COUNTRY WEARING HIGH HEELS AND THEN COMPLAINED ABOUT THE INCONVENIENCE OF GOING INTO THE BACK COUNTRY WITH HEELS ON. IT MAKES ME DOUBT HER COMPETENCE AS A RUTHLESS EXECUTIVE. SHE CANT EVEN MAKE SMART DECISIONS ABOUT HER FEET.

OMG THAT IS IT FITE ME BRU

THE ELEVATOR IS PROBABLY LIKE TWENTY DAINTY STEPS AWAY AND SHE KNEW SHE DIDNT HAVE TO WALK VERY FAR BACK AND FORTH SO WHY NOT HEELS CUZ SHE WAS WEARING THEM AT HQ AND IT WOULD BE A HASSLE TO FIND STUPID COMFORTABLE SHOES JUST TO VISIT AN OLD MAN WHO IS OBSESSED WITH HIS MMO SUPER SECRET QUEST

HER SHOES CHOICES HAVE NOTHING ON HER RUTHLESS EXECUTIVE CAPABILITIES AND HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE THAT WOMEN'S HEELS ARE NOT SMART DECISIONS

how daaaaaaaaaaare u~

u legit made me laugh at work :< now people are looking at me funny :<

teiresias

But Dolores comes across him now in the same timeline as William?

In this episode the Delores in the pants in the church, but without the knife wound, is the "present day" who is jumping back and forth between three time periods (I think). Present day, where she's encountering MiB, the "earlier" past, where she's with William/Young MiB, and the further past where she's interacted with Arnold and is wearing the dress (which is the time period we see her experiencing when she enters the church in this episode). Apparently, in the present day, by this episode, Ford has completed digging up the town.

I really need to rewatch some of the earlier episodes to figure out or remind myself when present day Delores went off the reservation and started heading to the buried town, I really don't remember when it happened or why.

I REALLY hope Bernard isn't dead, it would be a real shame to lose Jeffrey Wright from the cast.

~Kinggi~

Banned
If Anthony Hopkins doesn't win an Emmy for this I am going to be so pissed.

I mean, i think its almost a given now simply because it is Anthony Hopkins and oh yeah he is actually also really good. Any time one of those classic actors appears in a TV show they at least get a nom, but he might deserve it.

Kayhan

I am hoping Jeffrey Wright and Evan Rachel Woods are nominated as well.

They really are perfectly cast and their perfomance are impeccable.

Solo

I feel like I'm the only one who read the Evan Rachel Wood interview Cornballer posted last week. She talks about being raped, twice, in her life. Must have made a number of her scenes incredibly hard to film. What an amazing woman though and I'm happy she's having this mega success and is as well rounded, brave, healthy and open as she is. And a great actress to top it all off.

SickBoy

I've rarely wanted to like a show more than I want to like Westworld... it's a show packed with great performances (Jeffrey Wright was great in this latest episode, to name just one performance), but it seems to sacrifice so much for the sake of the mystery.

If you're a viewer who likes the maze, you no doubt love it... but it sometimes seems like there's layer upon layer of obfuscation just for the sake of it. And they've already gone so far with the Maeve plot and the stuff that's happening outside of the park that I wonder where the show goes from here.

I really hope the finale delivers, because I feel like the show is really great on a lot of levels: from performances to some amazing music and really good production values...

Yen

Got an awful feeling Hopkins won't be on season 2. Ford killed by his own creations to end this season I think

Matty77

I feel like I'm the only one who read the Evan Rachel Wood interview Cornballer posted last week. She talks about being raped, twice, in her life. Must have made a number of her scenes incredibly hard to film. What an amazing woman though and I'm happy she's having this mega success and is as well rounded, brave, healthy and open as she is. And a great actress to top it all off.
I read it. Of course I have been a fan of hers since she started acting. I just don't usually mention it because as the article stated most people just seem to focus on the fact that she dated MM when she was young and searching as if it's her only claim to fame.

I really hope Westworld finally pushes her into that category of serious actor she has deserved since her career started.

Just watched last night's episode and I'm devastated. Bernard's arc is one of the saddest things I've seen in fiction. It was beautifully acted, and even though some people had guessed it right it was executed to perfection.

This show just shot up to the top of my favorite shows of all time. I was worried it was going to be gimmicky but they pulled it off, and deserve the ratings and awards coming their way. Anthony Hopkins stole the show, but so have the rest of the cast.

Photos of how young version of some company bigwig being recognizable or not, I always get a slight break of immersion when I see their fashion sense :> (not in-game in westworld but in delos)

Cuz i see fashion from 30/35 years back and the 80s/90s' fashion really doesn't look like our current standard, and these people are still wearing what we're wearing today so that always breaks my immersion a little bit

Not a nitpick, just something I'm wondering if others had thought of or is it just me :>

The men are wearing suits for the most part, which is timeless.

jblank83

I love Maeve's storyline, I'm surprised people here aren't liking it. It's one of the highlights for me but I love the android's rebelling kind of thing in sci-fi/fiction and the actress is awesome. The Teddy/MIB stuff is what has bored me this season.

It's irritating to the point of nausea how many plot conveniences are used to setup this Matrix-tier host-whispering ultra AI who can freely walk anywhere and do anything despite it already being established that there are cameras monitoring key areas like the very bar/brothel Maeve works in. Consistently conveniently no one is looking when Super-Maeve needs to level up her INT to 18/18 or stroll around the offices on a sight seeing tour or do whatever the fuck she wants always all the time. And right around the corner I know there's yet another smarmy "do it because I say so" speech after which people just do what she says.

Instead of making me like Maeve (the actress is good except for a couple of her affectations "darling"), instead of making me root for her like a hero or a protagonist, it makes me hate every second of the subplot.

the problem I have with Maev is that I think she's pretty much the Daenerys of Westworld, a character destined to "win" and overcome any challenge with ease until the writers decide otherwise. I can't bring myself to like her arc, it feels lazy, it's the least compelling story for me

Good analogy. I dislike Daenerys' plot for many of the same reasons. "Oh no, everything is terrible. OH LOOK, YET ANOTHER FREE ARMY... AND SHIPS TOO! EVERYONE CHEER FOR ME!"

Sick of all the whining about Maeve. I like that subplot.

I'm sick of Maeve and her subplot. Maybe we can find some common ground here.

...Hopefully Maeve and Hector are the leads next season instead.

I'd stop watching in a heartbeat.

Besides that, Anthony Hopkins is godly. Every line he delivers is a delight.

Vyer

I think I'm starting to consider the idea that the butchers are hosts as a possibility. It makes sense they would use them as labor (we see it in practice from both the time William is first prepped by a host and the host they use to do the demonstration with Clementine); it would explain why they are working in such an open, free area; and IIRC Ford mentions something along the lines of 'cutting back' the amount of access they give the hosts as workers when he's explaining how the Clementine thing was fake.

It would also explain their actions more, and how they are flying under the radar, as they are simply playing a part and following a narrative. Now, whether that narrative/Maeve rising up is part of Arnold's goals (the hosts can reach true sentience) or Ford's (his narrative designed to find and stamp out whatever contamination Arnold left in 'his' park) remains to be seen.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
There was that one season 1 twist that made sense but wasn't really suspected in Mr Robot.

They were smart about it in season one - beating the audience over the head with a super obvious twist as a means of masking the, arguably, larger twist. Maybe Westworld has done the same thing?! :O

Kayhan

Outside of the dumb sexed up fuck-in-the-flames HBO moment I thought tonight's episode was fucking awesome, brilliantly tied numerous plot arcs and mysteries together based on logical information supplied so far, while balancing several narrative arcs that never seemed invasive or frustrating to swap between. The fact that so many mysteries have now had predictable conclusions just adds to the show because they make sense. They're based on established information and storytelling conventions. That the show hasn't regressed into obnoxious Lost style twists-because-twists-on-more-twists-explained-by-twists is one of the show's greatest strengths. I don't know if expectations for gotcha moments from modern twist culture has warped expectations or what. And sometimes I feel like I'm on another planet and the only one enjoying the show as much as I do.

Nah I am right there with you.

Greatest show since True Detective Season 1.

KahooTs

Episodes have become grinds. Am I supposed to care William butchered a bunch of robots? That Delores killed a character we never met? That Bernard was created in the image of that character? I don't, and dropping it all in long winded grandiose style like they're huge revelations just has me clock watching.

HiResDes

I've rarely wanted to like a show more than I want to like Westworld... it's a show packed with great performances (Jeffrey Wright was great in this latest episode, to name just one performance), but it seems to sacrifice so much for the sake of the mystery.

If you're a viewer who likes the maze, you no doubt love it... but it sometimes seems like there's layer upon layer of obfuscation just for the sake of it. And they've already gone so far with the Maeve plot and the stuff that's happening outside of the park that I wonder where the show goes from here.

I really hope the finale delivers, because I feel like the show is really great on a lot of levels: from performances to some amazing music and really good production values...
Pretty spot on

Whatever qualms I have with plot armor and writing, the cast, casting department, and sets are often awe inspiring. The grime of the 'maintenance ward' basically oozes off the screen.

I'm a big fan of the retro-70s looking sets (like the tram station in the latest episode), but the main set that is essentially just an empty black room with some glass separators looks pretty cheap imo. I greatly prefer the look of the "old" westworld labs they show in the flashbacks.

This looks cool:
control%20room%20delos%20mesa%20hub%20westworld.png
This looks like it could be from some CBS procdedural:

Biske

Yeah I didn't understand the whole flame fuck thing.

Wouldn't that send a major major fucking flag to everyone paying attention?

Fixing gunshots and stab wounds is one thing, but after being burnt to a crisp?

Isn't that a little far gone for another classic tech under the radar redo?

Thats ignoring the inherent problem of trying to fuck while your dick is on actual fire.

Otherwise really loved the episode.

Sky Chief

Wow, cool episode

In this episode the Delores in the pants in the church, but without the knife wound, is the "present day" who is jumping back and forth between three time periods (I think). Present day, where she's encountering MiB, the "earlier" past, where she's with William/Young MiB, and the further past where she's interacted with Arnold and is wearing the dress (which is the time period we see her experiencing when she enters the church in this episode). Apparently, in the present day, by this episode, Ford has completed digging up the town.

Technically we've had a bunch of scenes with Arnold, we just thought it was Bernard. Dolores has it in her to kill actual humans. That is big.

I'm in agreement with all this

OrionX

So I assume Dolores must've been forced by Ford to kill Arnold? I can't imagine how else it would've happened, unless she just went mad or something...

I really like Maeve, but I don't really see a scenario where her robot army plan doesn't crash and burn. She's been extremely lucky so far, perhaps unbelievably so, but I'm pretty sure it's about to run out. Maybe she'll take some people down with her though.

So I assume Dolores must've been forced by Ford to kill Arnold? I can't imagine how else it would've happened, unless she just went mad or something...

I really like Maeve, but I don't really see a scenario where her robot army plan doesn't crash and burn. She's been extremely lucky so far, perhaps unbelievably so, but I'm pretty sure it's about to run out. Maybe she'll take some people down with her though.
Body is too fried to fix, seemed to be malfunctioning anyway based on behavioural issues, sent to the crowd of retired bots, awakens them, forces the goons to fix Bernard,... uprise?

Kayhan

Yeah I didn't understand the whole flame fuck thing.

Wouldn't that send a major major fucking flag to everyone paying attention?

Fixing gunshots and stab wounds is one thing, but after being burnt to a crisp?

Isn't that a little far gone for another classic tech under the radar redo?

Thats ignoring the inherent problem of trying to fuck while your dick is on actual fire.

Otherwise really loved the episode.

That scene had me legit rolling my eyes.

Klocker

That was a goddamn excellent hour of television. Some great acting in this one.

However, I think the Internet is hurting this show in a way I can't recall happening in any show before. Literally every single twist has been sussed out weeks in advance by overzealous sleuths. Like I said, this was a damn good hour of television. But it had like 3 major reveals that didn't hit with the ooomph they should have because the Internet analysts have been going over every frame with a fine tooth comb since day one and discovered them. Maybe it's just me, but Westworld has really turned me from those kind of viewing habits. Makes me want to go back to just watching shows in a bubble, in a way. I love the discussion and debate but I can't help but feel like this level or scrutiny is hurting my enjoyment. I've been feeling it on some level for a while, but this episode really solidified the feeling for me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Man in Black is gonna need a live-in nurse to spoonfeed him by next episode at the rate he's being knocked unconscious with blunt trauma.

Azzanadra

Think they will kill Ford next episode? I always thought Ford would be a short-term character because I can't imagine him attaching himself to a show which may take years to finish, which may take away time from other projects.

The only counter-argument I can think of is that he was inspired by Bryan Cranston and Breaking Bad to respect TV as even higher medium than movies, and he was searching for his own "Heisenberg" level role on the small screen.

This show is amazing, can you imagine if all the episodes were released simultaneously, Netflix style. Peoples minds would be even more blown without all the think tank theory speculation. I might not read a single theory in season 2, maybe haha.

So awesome how everything connects and was foreshadowed, even the picture form the first episode showing up again.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This show is amazing, can you imagine if all the episodes were released simultaneously, Netflix style. Peoples minds would be even more blown without all the think tank theory speculation. I might not read a single theory in season 2, maybe haha.

So awesome how everything connects and was foreshadowed, even the picture form the first episode showing up again.

I watched 1-8 in one shot and without any foreknowledge, and only came in here after I caught up. It doesn't do it any favors.

Top Bottom