• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

I don't understand the people who invest in Maeve's fate. Her daughter she care about, is a lie. She suffering through her loops, its a lie. She probably doesn't even feel pain, seeing her pull the bullet out of her stomach Rambo style and all. Why does she even feel pain anyway, just change some stat on your fucking iPad.

The only thing I feel real about Bernard is his dedication to his job.

Dolores is different. I can feel her intellectual struggle to become sentient. She meeting her maker and following Arnold's hints to find the maze (to be sentience) is a good AI story. It should be the centerpiece of the show. IMO the show make the mistake of treating the mysteries as the main selling point of the series. It stacks the finale with multiple secrets to shock the audience. That's very cute Nolan. But most of them don't mean anything to me. Why even hide the fact that William story was from the past? Just tell us from E2, the change between Simpson and Ed Harris alone would have provided enough curiosity to the viewers.

You have one job, that is to tell the story of Dolores gaining her consciousness. IMO the whole show is hung on this part of the story thread.

I'm regards to Maeve's story, I totally agree that the implanted memories don't do anything to stir sympathy for her at all. And as my wife asked while we were watching the scenes with the daughter, why didn't they just fix the kid and reset the story as they did a thousand times with all the characters?

Also agree that Dolores' story is the only one that remotely resonates. She's the unaccounted variable in Ford's plan I believe.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm regards to Maeve's story, I totally agree that the implanted memories don't do anything to stir sympathy for her at all. And as my wife asked while we were watching the scenes with the daughter, why didn't they just fix the kid and reset the story as they did a thousand times with all the characters?

They explained that in a scene later on.

torontoml

2AM
charm_laugh.gif
Well in all honesty what would you want them to do? I'm not European but you can't really expect an American channel to allow the airing of the episode before the American air time right?

royalan

Also agree that Dolores' story is the only one that remotely resonates. She's the unaccounted variable in Ford's plan I believe.

I would go back and watch the episode. Because the reason they can't do that was not only a major revelation about Maeve, but one of the many big reveals that episode.

Spoiler

They can't reset Maeve because her memory can't be reset. She remembered, and the grief from the experienced overrode her core programming. It's why they reassigned her.

Zoe

The first time I watched the first episode, I thought I was just imagining that it was Bernard questioning Dolores at the beginning because Thor-lite's dialogue at the end was almost identical. Rewatching it now, I'm glad to see I'm not crazy :lol

And Teddy is totally based off of William.

- YahooTV: Q&A: Jimmi Simpson on 'Westworld' theories: 'I haven't seen anyone nail this'
Yahoo: Fan theories are going wild ahead of Sunday and some are wondering if there will be another twist, or a cliffhanger. But you've said that everything will be answered. Can you elaborate on that?

Simpson: It's just not something Jonah and Lisa and J.J. were making up as they went along. I think sometimes people are used to a concept being introduced on television and then they see people respond to certain things and they add some new twists and people like it, so they do more stuff like that. This is not that show.

This is a story and a narrative that Jonah and Lisa have created already, and so all of these twists and turns are part of their grand execution to deliver their story the way they think it would be best delivered.

So I think at the end of this season, it's the end of a chapter and they're prepared for it and I think they really kill it and they satisfy, I would say, at least most of all the things you're wondering. And then they do this wonderful thing and they just flick on this light and now you're seeing a future as well, but they're not making you wait for the questions you've already been asking.

Fjordson

Just watched episode. Holy fuck. Some amazing performances that are seemingly getting better with every episode.

I'm gonna be sad if Hemsworth is a goner though. Think he's a solid actor and is good in that role.

I'm scared that Ford is going to die because of Maeve :(

But didn't the techs say that someone else with higher access has already changed her? = Ford?

Well in all honesty what would you want them to do? I'm not European but you can't really expect an American channel to allow the airing of the episode before the American air time right?

They do it for Thrones and I love it. It should be the rule of shows like this. I don't work standard weeks so every so often I can watch it live.

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm scared that Ford is going to die because of Maeve :(

But didn't the techs say that someone else with higher access has already changed her? = Ford?
A lot of people here don't like Maeve's storyline and Hopkins is universally loved so I can't even imagine the response here if she actually does that. :lol

Found an article that highlights my problems with Westworld and its big difference with Lost that was made even worse when I finished rewatching the latter last month due to Westworld:

Why Westworld Actually Isn't Like Lost

I know, just like the people in the comments, you're gonna mention that Westworld is actually planned out ahead of time and has an actual endgame, and that's probably true. But that misses the actual point of the article: even if the show is planned out from start-to-finish, why should I care if I don't care about any of the people involved in the narrative? Say what you will about Lost, but you were disappointed about the finale of Lost because you'd grown to love this cast of characters, and thought their journey should've had a better ending. By the end of Westworld, I don't know if I'll have that same feeling.

duckroll

Found an article that highlights my problems with Westworld and its big difference with Lost that was made even worse when I finished rewatching the latter last month due to Westworld:

I know, just like the people in the comments, you're gonna mention that Westworld is actually planned out ahead of time and has an actual endgame, and that's probably true. But that misses the actual point of the article: even if the show is planned out from start-to-finish, why should I care if I don't care about any of the people involved in the narrative? Say what you will about Lost, but you were disappointed about the finale of Lost because you'd grown to love this cast of characters, and thought they're journey should've had a better ending. By the end of Westworld, I don't know if I'll have that same feeling.

I haven't read that article, but what you say touches on something I've been saying with friends for awhile now. Westworld and Lost are polar opposites of the mystery box show. Both are serious serial dramas which rely on mystery and hooks to keep an audience guessing and gets watercooler buzz with big reveals, but the difference is that in Westworld the emphasis is on working out the overall narrative of the puzzle box so it all fits, while in Lost the emphasis was on building a cast of characters with interesting stories and situations and making up puzzle pieces to fit where they want to go.

Where Westworld succeeds in their approach is that people can follow clues and pieces of info without feeling cheated because it all adds up and when reveals happen you can say "it was there all along" for real. But where it fails is that the majority of the cast are hollow characters with no lives, weak personalities, and their actions seem to only serve the plot. Where Lost succeeds is that they create a compelling ensemble cast of characters with varied backgrounds and tell very interesting stories with each of them. In the end the mysteries don't really add up, it's clear a lot was pulled out of their ass, but there were so many interesting characters and stories that the world felt alive even if the mystery narrative disappointed. In contrast, Westworld feels like a pretty scenario someone dreamed up, but nothing is real or particularly relateable to me. I just watch it to watch Hopkins own his scenes, and the rest is breadcrumbs, high concept themes, and talking about clues and theories with people on the internet.

Makai

I know it's not like LOST, but nothing is. It's the first show I've seen since that even approaches the quality of LOST twists.

bounchfx

I haven't read that article, but what you say touches on something I've been saying with friends for awhile now. Westworld and Lost are polar opposites of the mystery box show. Both are serious serial dramas which rely on mystery and hooks to keep an audience guessing and gets watercooler buzz with big reveals, but the difference is that in Westworld the emphasis is on working out the overall narrative of the puzzle box so it all fits, while in Lost the emphasis was on building a cast of characters with interesting stories and situations and making up puzzle pieces to fit where they want to go.

Where Westworld succeeds in their approach is that people can follow clues and pieces of info without feeling cheated because it all adds up and when reveals happen you can say "it was there all along" for real. But where it fails is that the majority of the cast are hollow characters with no lives, weak personalities, and their actions seem to only serve the plot. Where Lost succeeds is that they create a compelling ensemble cast of characters with varied backgrounds and tell very interesting stories with each of them. In the end the mysteries don't really add up, it's clear a lot was pulled out of their ass, but there were so many interesting characters and stories that the world felt alive even if the mystery narrative disappointed. In contrast, Westworld feels like a pretty scenario someone dreamed up, but nothing is real or particularly relateable to me. I just watch it to watch Hopkins own his scenes, and the rest is breadcrumbs, high concept themes, and talking about clues and theories with people on the internet.

Very well put, agreed

And I agree with the above poster in that this is the first show since lost to give me the same kind of excitement while I watch and while waiting for the next episode

Makai

Still haven't delved into LOST magnitude crazy. Ok let's start. Hopkins painted this for a fine art gallery.

What does it meannnn

CydJdMQUkAADQ6_.jpg

Left guy - ???
Middle guy - Billy
Right guy - MIB

bottom - robot dog

I felt the show was going off the rails at the start of the episode but I liked the reveal. I think they hit that cerebral sci fi note I've been waiting for.

Mega

Banned
So consensus is really that the new narrative is sentient bots breaking out?

Isn't that weird and at odds with the theme of the park? People go for the escapism and old-timey aspect... and see a major story playing out about robots acting wildly out of character and trying to get out?

I guess it makes sense if it's a recreation of William's adventure with Dolores and trying to get her out of the park. Or a narrative for the jaded, conspiratorial guests like MIB who don't want to play Western and prefer to "look for the truth!"

AoM

I know, just like the people in the comments, you're gonna mention that Westworld is actually planned out ahead of time and has an actual endgame, and that's probably true. But that misses the actual point of the article: even if the show is planned out from start-to-finish, why should I care if I don't care about any of the people involved in the narrative? Say what you will about Lost, but you were disappointed about the finale of Lost because you'd grown to love this cast of characters, and thought their journey should've had a better ending. By the end of Westworld, I don't know if I'll have that same feeling.

Great article. It's where I'm at as well (with really the only character I care about being Ford because, well, Hopkins). Lost's shift (regarding its primary focus) from character to mystery (I assume because the major characters had been well established) is why I prefer its first three seasons to its latter three.

Top Bottom