• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

ZOONAMI

Wasn't she noticeably absent from the supposed flashback scenes? if what you're saying has any weight what happened to her must take place around the supposed incident 30 years ago.

She was having dreams that likely originated from past experiences as a host, so sort of flashbacks?

She wasn't ever a guest, the point was that she's having dreams of past experiences and clearly shouldn't be given the comments from the curators. And it points further the the hosts developing aspects of consciousness. They are only supposed to know about the concept of a nightmare, but not actually have any.

Fluvian

Banned
Well yeah isn't the obvious end goal to create a robot version of ourselves? That's why their called hosts. A host machine for human consciousness.

From m-w

a : a living animal or plant on or in which a parasite lives
b : the larger, stronger, or dominant member of a commensal or symbiotic pair
c : an individual into which a tissue, part, or embryo is transplanted from another

The hosts developing their own sentient consciousness is going to put a damper on all that. Essentially then you have the danger of another consciousness fighting with your own within the circuitry. Or would your programmed consciousness really be you or an entirely different being with the traits and memories of your former self, but would evolve into a completely different being. People can change though too.

I've long thought about this exact possibility, and whether or not the result would really be you. It kind of becomes a spiritual discussion too, if there is a soul, and if it could be transferred mechanically. And even if you don't believe is souls could a robot body and programming actually be you or is it just an imitation. Theoretically say if they could reproduce your brain synthetically or through cloning, would that still even be you? So yeah existentialism and all that and if an individual can in fact exist beyond an individual plane.

I get the feeling this stuff is where Anthony Hopkins character comes in, I think a lot of us suspect his "mistakes" weren't mistakes and he's up to something quite grand, he doesn't seem motivated by money like the other people who run the company, he's talked about Evolution and playing god. Honesty he's the character I can't wait to see more from.

Fluvian

Banned
She was having dreams that likely originated from past experiences as a host, so sort of flashbacks?

She wasn't ever a guest, the point was that she's having dreams of past experiences and clearly shouldn't be given the comments from the curators. And it points further the the hosts developing aspects of consciousness. They are only supposed to know about the concept of a nightmare, but not actually have any.

When I was talking about the supposed flashbacks I meant the ones with William and the other guy arriving in the park and stuff in ep 2.
I didn't mean those sort of flashbacks to that attack she was having throughout ep 2.

Palmer_v1

She has not been featured in the William/Douche scenes yet, which may or may not be flashbacks themselves.

I meant that IF it was possible to transplant someone's conciousness to a Host, it is also possible that Thandie's nightmares/flashbacks are actually from a time when she was a Guest, instead of a Host.

It's just idle speculation for now.

KahooTs

Bernard had a picture of a child he was looking at. If we got any information on that I missed it, but in my mind that's a passed child of his and that's his real motivation for being there.

While Bernard is sleeping with manager woman he seems onboard with Hopkins creatively and ideologically, when push comes to shove I think he's aligning with Hopkins and betraying her. He might even be up in there more for surveilling her than anything else.

Jasoneyu

She has not been featured in the William/Douche scenes yet, which may or may not be flashbacks themselves.

I meant that IF it was possible to transplant someone's conciousness to a Host, it is also possible that Thandie's nightmares/flashbacks are actually from a time when she was a Guest, instead of a Host.

It's just idle speculation for now.

I have a feeling that was a memory of a type of host Thandie's was prior to where she is right now. They seem like they typically move around host jobs/roles (ie Doreles new dad).

Also what was interesting about that scene is that the MiB was shown as a native prior to transitioning to his guest appearance. This leads me to believe that they dictate what a host sees similar to how the picture of NYC looked like nothing to Delores. They might see guest differently vs what they really are.

ZOONAMI

Bernard had a picture of a child he was looking at. If we got any information on that I missed it, but in my mind that's a passed child of his and that's his real motivation for being there.

While Bernard is sleeping with manager woman he seems onboard with Hopkins creatively and ideologically, when push comes to shove I think he's aligning with Hopkins and betraying her. He might even be up in there more for surveilling her than anything else.

Of course he's on board with Hopkins, and I don't get the impression that the management lady isn't really on board with Hopkins either. Bernard and her are just boning for some kicks while publically disagreeing some what on when to shut down a host for the safety of the guests. She understands they won't accomplish anything if the park gets shut down, or at least she's out of a job while likely hopkins and Bernard wouldn't be.

Palmer_v1

I have a feeling that was a memory of a type of host Thandie's was prior to where she is right now. They seem like they typically move around host jobs/roles (ie Doreles new dad).

Also what was interesting about that scene is that the MiB was shown as a native prior to transitioning to his guest appearance. This leads me to believe that they dictate what a host sees similar to how the picture of NYC looked like nothing to Delores. They might see guest differently vs what they really are.

You think the native american-looking guy was the MiB in Thandie's flashbacks? I feel like I'm misunderstanding you.

I took it as the MIB killing the Native American before he walked through the door

Speaking of Thandie Newton, I think she's doing a really great job. I always have her terrible performance (though that might have been the negative chemistry between her and Cruise) in MI:2 stuck in my head when I see her, so very happy for her.

As much as I liked getting ep2 early, it made the wait for ep3 even harder

I love the worldbuilding they're doing with that Discover Westworld site. Stuff like that is so cool. Jurassic World did it well

ZOONAMI

When I was talking about the supposed flashbacks I meant the ones with William and the other guy arriving in the park and stuff in ep 2.
I didn't mean those sort of flashbacks to that attack she was having throughout ep 2.

Ah I had to go way back in the thread to even figure out what you guys are talking about.

This is just based on different logos?

Yeah I really don't think the William deal is another timeline. Makes the show way more convoluted than it already is. Companies have different logos, I wouldn't read into that very much. There may just be some older logos that haven't been updated everywhere. I wouldn't even think that would give anyone a bad impression. Like oh cool, that's the old logo would probably be my thought process, like they have been around a while so that's cool. It would be like if Jurassic park updated their sign / logo and they still had some old ones around that would be cool. And then for the guests that have been going for a long time could think neat, I remember when that old logo was the new logo lol.

Or it could actually even just be a production mistake with a logo showing up somewhere it wasn't supposed to, or that they thought no one would notice that like ever so let's not worry about which logo is where, or they didn't even think of it themselves that someone could possibly even think that. So they didn't really worry about multiple logos being around at all.

Fluvian

Banned
Ah I had to go way back in the thread to even figure out what you guys are talking about.

This is just based on different logos?

Yeah I really don't think the William deal is another timeline. Makes the show way more convoluted than it already is. Companies have different logos, I wouldn't read into that very much. There may just be some older logos that haven't been updated everywhere. I wouldn't even think that would give anyone a bad impression. Like oh cool, that's the old logo would probably be my thought process, like they have been around a while so that's cool. It would be like if Jurassic park updated their sign / logo and they still had some old ones around that would be cool. And then for the guests that have been going for a long time could think neat, I remember when that old logo was the new logo lol.

It wasn't even the logo thing that convinced me, it just fits way too perfectly, the only thing that could disprove it is William and Douche interacting with either the MiB or one of the members of management we know.
They could always do something weird like have a younger CGI anthony Hopkins show up.

ZOONAMI

It wasn't even the logo thing that convinced me, it just fits way too perfectly, the only thing that could disprove it is William and Douche interacting with either the MiB or one of the members of management we know.
They could always do something weird like have a younger CGI anthony Hopkins show up.

Yeah it's gonna be the man in white vs the man in black, obviously. That's clearly what they set it up for with William meeting Delores. I'll eat crow if it's a flashback.

aaaaa0

They're probably not "allowed". They just got in one day and it's hard as fuck to exterminate them all. One of the technicians even said how sloppy hygiene probably contributes to the fly problem since there are lots of corpses around every day.

If that's true, you'd expect other hard to eradicate pests and insects to sneak in too.

Maybe the flies are there as a "canary in the coal mine" so to speak. Since there is base code that prevents hosts from harming any living thing, maybe the flies are there to provide advance warning of any base code failures... ?

I took it as the MIB killing the Native American before he walked through the door
I don't think it was either. I think it was more like an actual dream a person may have. Inspired by experiences, but not a literal re-telling of memories. The bulk of the dream was a memory of a terrifying moment in the "life" of a previous character she played, but then the dream transitioned into a perhaps deeper and more intense fear - the Man in Black.

KahooTs

Of course he's on board with Hopkins, and I don't get the impression that the management lady isn't really on board with Hopkins either. Bernard and her are just boning for some kicks while publically disagreeing some what on when to shut down a host for the safety of the guests. She understands they won't accomplish anything if the park gets shut down, or at least she's out of a job while likely hopkins and Bernard wouldn't be.

The conversation with the writer in the first episode threw open the idea that she is in the end game hostile to Ford.

A changing of the guard is overdue, you'd have my support.
Smart enough to guess there's a bigger picture, not smart enough to work out what. That makes your support worth fuck all to me.

ZOONAMI

I don't think it was either. I think it was more like an actual dream a person may have. Inspired by experiences, but not a literal re-telling of memories. The bulk of the dream was a memory of a terrifying moment in the "life" of a previous character she played, but then the dream transitioned into a perhaps deeper and more intense fear - the Man in Black.

Yep this. It was a dream. The earlier sequence when she was awake may have been a flashback but when the Native Americans morphed into the mib that was a dream.

ZOONAMI

The conversation with the writer in the first episode threw open the idea that she is in the end game hostile to Ford.

A changing of the guard is overdue, you'd have my support.
Smart enough to guess there's a bigger picture, not smart enough to work out what. That makes your support worth fuck all to me.

It threw open the door that the writer is hostile to Ford. She told him to fuck off. Does she even know what the bigger picture is? I don't really get that impression. Either way she isn't an engineer/doesn't have any actual experience in working on developing the hosts so I highly doubt she thinks that she can replace Ford. She may think that Bernard will eventually replace Ford but that seems the obvious path anyway. So if she's close to Bernard she may learn more over time and it helps a bit with job security.

KahooTs

It threw open the door that the writer is hostile to Ford. She told him to fuck off. Does she even know what the bigger picture is? I don't really get that impression. Either way she isn't an engineer/doesn't have any actual experience in working on developing the hosts so I highly doubt she thinks that she can replace Ford. She may think that Bernard will eventually replace Ford but that seems the obvious path anyway. So if she's close to Bernard she may learn more over time and it helps a bit with job security.

She told him his support was worth nothing to her because he doesn't understand the bigger picture. Indicating it would be worth something if he did. Why would she need support for anything other than going against Ford?

That she doesn't have an idea what the bigger picture is seems unlikely, but more than that it's a case of how aligned is she with what Ford is trying to do.

The person who has ultimate control of the park does not need to be an engineer, it just so happens it is an engineer.

Nodnol

Watched the second episode tonight.

I had one burning question that was kinda addressed; with such a high turnover of guests and the "use" the hosts see, episode one raised the question "Who cleans out the whores?" I mean, someone isn't being paid nearly enough for that job.

Very intriguing so far. I loved seeing more of the customer experience this episode.

zeemumu

So is the man in black just a crazed fan who's going for 100% completion and live in his fake paradise forever?
He has the same behavior of someone who spent too much time in an open world game after they finished all of the main tasks

Makai

Watched the second episode tonight.

I had one burning question that was kinda addressed; with such a high turnover of guests and the "use" the hosts see, episode one raised the question "Who cleans out the whores?" I mean, someone isn't being paid nearly enough for that job.

Very intriguing so far. I loved seeing more of the customer experience this episode.
Themselves, like in real life. There's no disease in this future

So is the man in black just a crazed fan who's going for 100% completion and live in his fake paradise forever?
He has the same behavior of someone who spent too much time in an open world game after they finished all of the main tasks

I know that the Man in Black is supposed to be intimidating but I can't help think of him as some loser. There's nothing badass about having an invincibility cheat.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Nah he already got 100% years ago. He's the player who dissects every major patch looking for hidden Easter eggs that might or might not be there. He's been doing this for so long and so prominently that the devs have become aware of him and have started developing content specifically just for him.

KahooTs

I know that the Man in Black is supposed to be intimidating but I can't help think of him as some loser. There's nothing badass about having an invincibility cheat.

The park is at its core hollow, and the Mib scenes make it most obvious.

But that's his storyline, playing the deeper game. So maybe as his storyline unravels it will provide the whole thing more meaning.

Burt

Caught a trailer between movies during regular HBO hours, have to say it spoiled a bit, so keep an eye out. Or in. Which ever it is. You know, just avert your gaze if you want to preserve the mystery.

I feel like most people in here haven't been keeping up with them, because there are some pretty clear implications that run counter to a lot of the talk in here.

Caught a trailer between movies during regular HBO hours, have to say it spoiled a bit, so keep an eye out. Or in. Which ever it is. You know, just avert your gaze if you want to preserve the mystery.

I feel like most people in here haven't been keeping up with them, because there are some pretty clear implications that run counter to a lot of the talk in here.
Like a season trailer that hasn't been aired on TV yet? Is it on YouTube?

zeemumu

Nah he already got 100% years ago. He's the player who dissects every major patch looking for hidden Easter eggs that might or might not be there. He's been doing this for so long and so prominently that the devs have become aware of him and have started developing content specifically just for him.
So we're basically looking at the guy who plays GTA 4 and crashes the helicopter to the Statue of Happiness to find the secret heart easter egg, but all of the npcs look 100% human and have their own lives like Skyrim npcs, and we're seeing the horrible implications of what it's like to be an npc in one of those worlds.

PolishQ

Sure, but he's a walking invulnerable nightmare to the hosts - basically what the Yul Brynner robot was to the humans in the original movie.

HiResDes

I think the Vox article on the show's weaknesses are pretty spot on, despite being rather in loved with its potential right now there are way too many subplots and seemingly major characters.

Burt

Like a season trailer that hasn't been aired on TV yet? Is it on YouTube?
Yeah, I think it might even be the most widely used/seen trailer, but what it implies about
the Man in Black in particular
seems to be getting largely passed over in this thread.

Episode 2 has a major scene with the prostitute cut open while the techs treat a MRSA (staph) infection she got from a guest. The person you quoted was referencing that.

I missed the reference to MRSA. So the 3D printers things are definitely using organic material and the robots are organic enough to catch human infection and disease. Creepy

Just caught up. What a trip this show is. Still have tons of questions but it's cool seeing it unfold. The gun/bullet thing will probably be explained soon enough but the talks here helped.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I missed the reference to MRSA. So the 3D printers things are definitely using organic material and the robots are organic enough to catch human infection and disease. Creepy

Keyboards at hospitals can get "infected" with MRSA, so something warm and moist that has a lot of interaction with humans is bound to end up getting exposed to some diseases eventually, I think the big thing here though as you say is that it's affecting them in a way which causes physical discomfort. They're not just objects coated in germs, it actually affects the way they work which suggests something very close to human body structure.

Fluvian

Banned
I was just thinking about how fucked this thread would be if for some reason they skipped this sunday and didn't release the episode.

I just remembered that it's the Neil Marshall episode this Sunday, too.
And then the Vincenzo Natali episode next Sunday

If you're curious about the funky looking gun that Ed Harris's character is using, a really great firearm history channel called Forgotten Weapons just did an explanation for the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9QIvy3T8kg
Has that been in any video games? A revolver with a shotgun alt fire is like something straight out of a video game

Top Bottom