• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

HBO did a horrible thing by releasing the last episode early. The wait for the next one has been nothing short of agonizing.

I hate HBO for what they have done to me.

shira

I just remembered that it's the Neil Marshall episode this Sunday, too.

- Thrillist: Those 'Westworld' Player-Piano Scrolls are Real -- And This Guy Made Them

tumblr_n7up8vvakG1r83cqho1_r1_500.gif

The "new" Matrix code

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So yeah I really like this show. Just got around to watching it today. Some wonderful performances already. Last ep confirming there are children hosts was an unexpected gut punch. Took a minute for that to sink in. Yikes.

So yeah I really like this show. Just got around to watching it today. Some wonderful performances already. Last ep confirming there are children hosts was an unexpected gut punch. Took a minute for that to sink in. Yikes.
I think the kid might be exclusive to Ford. Seemed like he had a connection to it, might be a deceased son or sibling

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think the kid might be exclusive to Ford. Seemed like he had a connection to it, might be a deceased son or sibling
Yeah, thought the same after the initial shock wore off a bit.

But then I remembered Madam Saloon lady had a daughter in her nightmare/memory.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, there were a few kids in the episode.

PolishQ

Yeah, I definitely got the impression that the kid is a child version of Ford that he created himself.

But ... the kid was clearly acting like a guest, not a host. "My family brought me here but it's boring." I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the kid again.

But ... the kid was clearly acting like a guest, not a host. "My family brought me here but it's boring." I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the kid again.
And then he commands the kid to go away. It was clearly a host, and likely related to Ford due to the similar clothes and the "my father said something similar" lines

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm guessing they're basically humans with synthetic brains.

From the start I assumed we're seeing future medical technology in the service of creating androids. I wouldn't be surprised, and half expect, it to be revealed that many of the human staff members are full of cybernetic replacements for limbs, damaged muscles, and flawed organs. The same stuff the hosts and artificial animals are being created from.

Eventually the plot would converge on the point that there's no longer a fundamental difference between "natural" humans and the new artificial life, save the brain. And that part comes under debate at last.

Friday discussion fodder:

- Salon: Violence and empathy in “Westworld”: “That’s not the point we want to make, that it’s OK if they’re a robot”
Salon spoke with the creators of HBO's hit "Westworld" about what the drama's robots reveal about human morality
- Warming Glow: Investigating The 5 Most Compelling ‘Westworld’ Theories, So Far (most of these have already been discussed in the thread)
- NY Mag: Why You’ll Be Hearing a Lot of Radiohead on Westworld (Djawadi interview)
- Screenrant: Decoding The Future Of HBO’s Westworld (more info from the NYCC panel)
- SlashFilm: Westworld Bits: Showrunner Interviews, Behind-the-Scenes Videos, and Fascinating Theories and Philosophizing (content roundup and some links)

Kallor

So what stops a couple of guests from going through and killing all the hosts and ruining it for all the other guests? Too much work?

So what stops a couple of guests from going through and killing all the hosts and ruining it for all the other guests? Too much work?
When the man in black goes and kills all those "cousins" from that guy with his wife and kid (sorry, can't remember the names), the operators say something like "should be throw some obstacles in his way". So it does seem like they can kind of deal with that.

Why don't a couple of people constantly cut lines in Disney or start talking loudly to annoy the audience during a Broadway show? You paid to go there, so why waste your experience, and there are security measures as we see with management dealing with the rogue host in Episode 1. This isn't Minecraft, where people have free reign. It's an exclusive opportunity that's monitored

aaaaa0

The hosts aren't actually dying, just running "oh I've been shot/hurt/killed" scripts (look at the host that was shot but kept going in Ep1 because his programming had been corrupted).

So management can probably adjust the amount of resistance the hosts are providing, all the way up to breaking character, ignoring the bullet and weapon hits entirely, and physically restraining a guest that is griefing or harassing or ruining other guest's experiences or attempting to hurt other guests. The only thing the hosts aren't allowed to do is injure the guests.

Palmer_v1

What exactly do you mean by "dark"?

The worst thing you can think of, basically.

Considering some guests seem to treat the Hosts as fancy fleshlights, and the fact that guests basically have free reign, it raises really creepy possibilities if there are child-like Hosts.

Even aside from Hosts possibly having consciousness, it would be a really controversial thing to have, but would not surprise me.

RocknRola

Wow. Can't recall the last time I fell in love with show 10 minutes into the first episode. Pretty cool!

The whole concept is just fascinating in the way it's being played (so far at least), I just want to binge watch the whole show right now.

Great job HBO, is really all I can say right now!

I love this show. Love it. So...

What stops guests from accidentally killing another guest? With a blunt object or knife etc by just not knowing they're a guest?

Logic cannot be applied to this show. Even when on its own terms. For instance:

Just the operational logistics of continuously staging something like Westworld is stupidly unrealistic. I mean, it's Disney World where every guest has the right to take a sledgehammer to the place. Sure, a current day imagineer could always rebuild an animatronic frog or a Disney contractor fix a window - but at what cost? I thought of it when the safe was dragged through a wooden bannister. Apparently some employee has to come through and rebuild an antique railing. What if a wealthy guest who fantasizes of arson comes through and burns a whole saloon to the ground with all the hosts in it? Westworld is going to rebuild the whole damn thing? I get this is meant to be expensive, but no way would it be sustainable.

Based off William's orientation and the shock of how his buddy treats the hosts, clearly this type of android technology isn't really known outside Westworld. Understanding there's a hint in the dialogue of the tech being secretly applied elsewhere, from an everyman's POV near-human robotics has existed for 30 years...to only populate a theme park?

Some of the very first guests we see get off the train are seen throughout the first ep. Some of them being the couple that both saw the glitching host and shot the saloon robber. Point is, a lot of shit goes down in Westworld during that time that would require an unrealistic amount of manpower to covertly deal with some of the issues that occurred.

My wife and I were staying in a hotel and caught the second episode first. We figured out it was the 2nd after a bit but it still kind of worked as an into to the show (with the new guest arriving with his friend).

We went back and watched the first episode and while it was good, it was definitely a lot more heavy handed, more exposition.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

The Stray

Dolores finds herself alone in Sweetwater when Teddy chases a new villain; Elsie and Stubbs go on a mission to retrieve a host who's gone missing in the hills; Bernard tries to get to the bottom of the hosts' hysteria and hallucinations; William persuades Logan to join his latest pursuit.

duckroll

How they transfer guests to the second train? It looked spatially impossible. 🤔

It doesn't seem so complex to me. The door William uses to get into the "bar" is connected to the prep room. Imagine if there are tons of prep rooms for each customer, and they're all next to each other. You just need a moving bar room that slowly shifts along the passage to connect to each door as the guest is ready to depart. Once everyone is on board, it then moves to an exit shaft and moves upwards until it gets to the ground level where it then connects seamlessly into the train as part of a train car. Then the train departs.

Top Bottom