• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want from the Elden Ring successor?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm playing Elden Ring again, and boy do I have thoughts. My thoughts are not important though. What do fans of Elden Ring want out of the Elden Ring successor? Anything you want to be improved, or added specifically?

elden-ring-2_mGZBDYj.jpg

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Less open world stuff.
Less catacombs.
Less reuse of the same enemies in dungeons, Catacombs and Evergaols.
Some of the repetitions are bizarre. The game would have been plenty long even if each boss and catacomb was unique. That they padded it so much is inexplicable to me.

Astel Naturalborn of the Void was such an amazing boss…but then you see its clone in a cave in the middle of nowhere. Why?

Last edited:

SHA

I'm playing Elden Ring again, and boy do I have thoughts. My thoughts are not important though. What do fans of Elden Ring want out of the Elden Ring successor? Anything you want to be improved, or added specifically?

elden-ring-2_mGZBDYj.jpg
Dude, do you have any connection with miyazaki? anyway, I just like to micro look at everything, I want to see the details, not just being impressed at looking from a distance, I like graphics and attention to details, bosses looks ugly when you get closer and I don't want that again.

Švejk

Banned
Smaller scale with more, deeper legacy dungeons that you get lost in. The sense of claustrophobia was missing.

Edit: I never played a KF, but I'd be down for that .. Sheeeeeeiiiiit, a From version of Skyrim? Suck me sideways.

Last edited:

Antwix

I'd love to see an additional mode that you could grind through as something else you could do besides just NG+. Like chalice dungeons or sekiro's boss rush mode but bigger and better than those or a roguelike-type mode. I know some people don't like roguelike stuff but I think it'd be super cool as a side mode.

DragonNCM

I think Elden Ring story is done, with DLC they finished the game & for me Elden Ring needs to stay as single masterpiece that will never get a sequel. Just like Bloodborn.
I will like to see new IP in new universe with new story & same Elden Ring stile open world map exploration more diverse enemies & bosses, like in DLC with damn good aggression.

Fbh

Gold Member
More than anything I hope we get a new setting.
After 3 Dark Souls games + Demon Souls + The Massive World of Elden Ring and its DLC I don't really know if there's a whole lot left for them to explore in the dark medieval fantasy setting. We've done the castles and dragons and dungeons and swamps multiple times already.
An open world in the style of Bloodborne would be awesome. I also still think something Sci Fi could be amazing.

Gaiff

Less copy & paste.
Better camera.
Better feel to the melee combat.
Less focus on action, more focus on dungeon crawling.
Had no problem with the camera. I don’t think it can get much better. The problem is that the bosses are so damn fast that you lose track of them. This doesn’t require a better camera but faster and more fluid movements so the player can reposition better.

All you have when that Divine Dancing Lion is sitting on top of you is rolling. If you had faster and better movements, you wouldn’t find yourself in corners constantly trying to track it.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I don't want a successor anytime soon. As much as I love Elden Ring (and I love it to bits!!), I'm ready to move to a different style of combat. Something like Sekiro again would be amazing.

winjer

Gold Member
Had no problem with the camera. I don’t think it can get much better. The problem is that the bosses are so damn fast that you lose track of them. This doesn’t require a better camera but faster and more fluid movements so the player can reposition better.

All you have when that Divine Dancing Lion is sitting on top of you is rolling. If you had faster and better movements, you wouldn’t find yourself in corners constantly trying to track it.

The tracking of the camera can be really bad, requiring constant adjustments, unless its always locked on.

But one thing they should really fix is the camera zoom with bigger enemies.
Often we just see the feet, and cant see when the boss is attacking.

mystech

I highly doubt we will get an Elden Ring successor but what I would like to see from their next Souls game:

1. Let us swim! Swimming / Diving not only unlocks new exploration potential but it would also be very cool to see Fromsofts take on underwater combat.

2. Keep the verticality. This is something that really sets Elden Rings open world apart from other games. Whatever they do next should continue to contain terrain on various levels including underground caverns.

3. Less repeating dungeons.

4. Environmental hazards

5. Couch multiplayer

JCK75

It's come a long way but I'd love vast overhauls to the UI
And on PC I'd like M to be the map key like every other game on earth.

Oh and I'd like onscreen prompts to change automatically based on what I'm using to play.. I should not have to manually change from K+M to Controller when I go from PC to Steam Deck

Last edited:
I highly doubt we will get an Elden Ring successor but what I would like to see from their next Souls game:

1. Let us swim! Swimming / Diving not only unlocks new exploration potential but it would also be very cool to see Fromsofts take on underwater combat.

2. Keep the verticality. This is something that really sets Elden Rings open world apart from other games. Whatever they do next should continue to contain terrain on various levels including underground caverns.

3. Less repeating dungeons.

4. Environmental hazards

5. Couch multiplayer
you-are-absolutely-right-charles-liu.gif

tmlDan

no successor would be nice, go back to a more wide linear approach.

ER could improve on every aspect of it but people will say it loses its charm that way, so eff it, keep it all the same. Keep using the same movement animations from demons souls.

Last edited:

Gaiff

The tracking of the camera can be really bad, requiring constant adjustments, unless its always locked on.

But one thing they should really fix is the camera zoom with bigger enemies.
Often we just see the feet, and cant see when the boss is attacking.
What do you mean the tracking of the camera? I never play with the lock so I always rely on positioning the camera myself. The problem of course is that when enemies move so damn fast, the camera can only do so much because the other part of the job requires the player to reposition himself in relation to the enemies. Not exactly easy when all you have is a slow-as-shit roll and movement speed that hasn't increased since Dark Souls III whereas bosses are as fast as in Sekiro now.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
What do you mean the tracking of the camera? I never play with the lock so I always rely on positioning the camera myself. The problem of course is that when enemies move so damn fast, the camera can only do so much because the other part of the job requires the player to reposition himself in relation to the enemies. Not exactly easy when all you have is a slow-as-shit roll and movement speed that hasn't increased since Dark Souls III whereas bosses are as fast as in Sekiro now.
Never locking? How did you play caster classes or play Bloodborne?

Gaiff

Never locking? How did you play caster classes or play Bloodborne?
I never play with an offensive mage build.

Bloodborne’s lock-on is actually beneficial because it allows you to sidestep. In Elden Ring, it just restricts your movements.

Wait, I do use it when using bow and arrows sometimes.

Last edited:
I'd like more Legacy Dungeons that feel fulfilling to explore. I didn't mind the Open-World approach, but I definitely always loved making my way through the meatier parts of the game and Stormveil Castle is easily still my favourite location in the base game. A lot of the smaller areas were cool but they didn't last very long when you were exploring them.

AngelMuffin

Renewed engine and up to par graphics

ER is one of the most beautiful & haunting games I’ve ever played and that isn’t due to its technical prowess. It’s all about the art direction and atmosphere. That’s not to say that I would welcome a more stable frame rate or bump in resolution but that’s pretty far down on my list.

LakeOf9

I would like a completely new world with completely new lore. FromSoft's games are best when we are exploring a world we have no concept or idea of. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring. I hope ER2 continues that, but tbh I dunno if they can/will want complete breaks within an IP, and such a successful one at that.

winjer

Gold Member

That is exactly what I mean. It's often that the camera can't keep up with the action.

simpatico

Gold Member
I've tried to do this before with Miyazaki hype. Turns out, my brain isn't even capable of dreaming up awesome enough things. All I can say it I'm ready to send my $70 as soon as he's willing to accept it.

Elden Ring is the best game I've ever played. No game has done more to fulfil the promise of "video game". The wonder, suspense and adventure are all unmatched. I definitely don't want him to spend a single hour worried about things like ray tracing or console performance. Shadow of the Erdtree is the best looking video game map of all time, so any time spent on such endeavors would be retromingent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom