• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

However, I don't expect the NX home console to play 3DS games for the same reason I don't expect it to play Wii U games; I don't believe it's going to have a screen in the controller. If Nintendo is truly trying to set up NX as a long-term hardware-independent ecosystem, then putting a screen in the controller means every future home NX has to have a screen in the controller, which is something they may end up regretting in the future.

Besides, if they want to offer dual-screen gameplay on the home NX, they can just use the handheld for that purpose. As they're both being designed by the same team, they can use the same low-latency point-to-point streaming technology they designed for the Wii U gamepad and leave it there as an option for games to use without pushing up the home console price or forcing every future Nintendo console to have a screen in the controller.

So, 3 pieces of their hardware have 2 screens in them now, one of them being a home console. I think it's safe to assume that they are making this a standard part of their design philosophy.

And your solution is to segment Virtual Console offerings for those 3 pieces of hardware to being handheld only, because reasons? Yes, let's put an arbitrary $200+ on the VC library, that will go over SO WELL. /s
Assuming, of course, that you think they'll not abandon the 2nd screen on the handheld side of things, as well, which really kills basically ANY VC options for those 3 devices.
I mean, they already have that hiccup to deal with thanks to a good chunk of the Wii library, so what's a few more logs on that fire, amirite? /s

I'm sorry, but they're already taking a lot of heat for segmenting the Virtual Console library as it is, why would they want to make that worse and limit their options for how to utilize their back catalog even MORE?

Never mind that this basically destroys the purpose of united architecture right from the outset, which is to standardize the development environment across multiple SKUs. Differing input methods don't really facilitate that.

So sorry, Gamepad haters. A screen in the controller is here to stay.

"BubububububuBUT EXPENSIVE" as an argument against it doesn't fly anymore. Wii U was released prior to point-to-point 802.11 streaming really being a thing that existed in the consumer market. Miracast wasn't even a thing yet when Wii U was released. Now it's everywhere. And with proliferation comes a decrease in cost for the parts to facilitate it. We didn't see that with Wii U because they're only just now getting through their initial production stock, so no kidding the costs didn't fall.
And there's nothing that says that the screen in a controller has to be the massive thing that Wii U had. Use the same 2nd screen as what would be in the handheld, and you've cut a significant cost right from the outset by unifying a component across both hardware SKUs.

One of those three devices is also their biggest hardware failure ever. That alone is probably going to put a dent in their "design philosophy".

Wii U VC isn't likely or desirable anyway because of the PowerPC element. Getting rid of that millstone will be important for the NX.

Thraktor

So, 3 pieces of their hardware have 2 screens in them now, one of them being a home console. I think it's safe to assume that they are making this a standard part of their design philosophy.

And your solution is to segment Virtual Console offerings for those 3 pieces of hardware to being handheld only, because reasons? Yes, let's put an arbitrary $200+ on the VC library, that will go over SO WELL. /s
Assuming, of course, that you think they'll not abandon the 2nd screen on the handheld side of things, as well, which really kills basically ANY VC options for those 3 devices.
I mean, they already have that hiccup to deal with thanks to a good chunk of the Wii library, so what's a few more logs on that fire, amirite? /s

I'm sorry, but they're already taking a lot of heat for segmenting the Virtual Console library as it is, why would they want to make that worse and limit their options for how to utilize their back catalog even MORE?

Never mind that this basically destroys the purpose of united architecture right from the outset, which is to standardize the development environment across multiple SKUs. Differing input methods don't really facilitate that.

So sorry, Gamepad haters. A screen in the controller is here to stay.

"BubububububuBUT EXPENSIVE" as an argument against it doesn't fly anymore. Wii U was released prior to point-to-point 802.11 streaming really being a thing that existed in the consumer market. Miracast wasn't even a thing yet when Wii U was released. Now it's everywhere. And with proliferation comes a decrease in cost for the parts to facilitate it. We didn't see that with Wii U because they're only just now getting through their initial production stock, so no kidding the costs didn't fall.
And there's nothing that says that the screen in a controller has to be the massive thing that Wii U had. Use the same 2nd screen as what would be in the handheld, and you've cut a significant cost right from the outset by unifying a component across both hardware SKUs.

Yeah, the PS4 completely crashed out of the gate with no backwards compatibility whatsoever, didn't it?

Oh, wait.

I haven't ever come across any evidence whatsoever that backwards compatibility sells consoles. Even if backwards compatibility did sell consoles, it could only do so in proportion to the sales of the preceding console, which in the case of the Wii U is an incredibly low base. As Sony learnt after launching the PS3 and applied to the PS4, it's not something to throw money after, and in the case of a touchscreen in the controller (no matter how small the screen), it's a nontrivial expense, which could go to either improving performance or reducing the price (two things which do sell consoles).

Besides, Nintendo has attempted and failed to sell people on the idea of a controller with a screen in it. They even largely abandoned heavy use of it in their own games after about a year on the market. If you're starting a video game platform from scratch (which it seems they're doing with the NX), then it doesn't make any sense to permanently lumber it with an input technique which has proven commercially successful and largely ignored even by their own internal studios. Even the one function of it which has had by far the most use in games (off-screen play) is entirely negated by releasing a handheld that plays exactly the same library.

So yes, I think it's safe enough just giving the small subset of owners who want to play Wii U games (who, incidentally, would likely heavily overlap with owners who also own the handheld anyway) the option to play Wii U games through the handheld. If Nintendo really want to offer their most popular Wii U games to a larger audience, they can simply port them across (as they seem to be doing for Smash Bros).

Furthermore, I don't think the handheld should stick with dual-screens either. Again, for the sake of starting the NX off on the blankest slate possible, I think the most straightforward approach of a single screen is the way to go. It gives them by far the broadest variety of options in terms of form-factors down the line, and as you say it simplifies cross-development if both pieces of hardware have the same number of screens ;) Besides, as I pointed out in my earlier post, Nintendo have shown that they're more than capable of making dual-screen games playable on a single screen.

And on a last point, I'm far from a gamepad hater. I think Nintendoland is genuinely one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played, and I think it's a shame that the potential of the controller hasn't been more thoroughly explored. But whether I like the gamepad or not has no bearing on the commercial viability of Nintendo continuing with controller screens with the NX.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The NX home console is fully expected to use an ARM CPU anyway, as there aren't really any suitable Power ISA cores anymore, and modern ARM cores (i.e. A72) are very competitively in performance with the likes of the Jaguar cores used in PS4/XBO. In addition, it would simplify cross-platform development, which is something Nintendo have talked about.

However, I don't expect the NX home console to play 3DS games for the same reason I don't expect it to play Wii U games; I don't believe it's going to have a screen in the controller. If Nintendo is truly trying to set up NX as a long-term hardware-independent ecosystem, then putting a screen in the controller means every future home NX has to have a screen in the controller, which is something they may end up regretting in the future.

Besides, if they want to offer dual-screen gameplay on the home NX, they can just use the handheld for that purpose. As they're both being designed by the same team, they can use the same low-latency point-to-point streaming technology they designed for the Wii U gamepad and leave it there as an option for games to use without pushing up the home console price or forcing every future Nintendo console to have a screen in the controller.

I don't see them offering BC just on one device if NX is a family of products that share the same philosophy. It beats the whole idea of shared software.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From the recent Investor's Q&A

Q: With regards to the financial performance, I believe you said that the fiscal year ending in March 2016 has been about balancing revenue and expenses, while the next fiscal year (ending in March 2017) will be a step towards aiming for Nintendo-like profits. Have these priorities changed at all? It seems like a lot of new endeavors, such as smart device business and amiibo sales, will need to go smoothly in order to realize Nintendo-like profits. If you had to provide one example of an area where you can be sure to achieve Nintendo-like profits, what would that be?

A: The previous and current fiscal years have been a period of preparation to launch a number of new endeavors, such as NX development, development for smart devices and business using our character IP, in addition to driving our Wii U and Nintendo 3DS businesses. At the same time, it has been our priority to take a close look at areas of our existing business where the revenue and expenses had become unbalanced, and to make sure that we corrected this balance. As I have said before, we will be launching many of our new business activities as we move from this fiscal year into the next.

When you start any new business, it is important to make the public aware of what you will be doing. In the next fiscal year, we will have to make preparations and investments to achieve these goals, and that comes with certain costs.

The question was to pick one area with which we will be able to achieve Nintendo-like profits, but I would like to suggest two areas. One area is our NX business
, and another is our business for smart devices. I believe that keeping these two endeavors on track will be key to achieving Nintendo-like profits. I don't have any further details to share about the next fiscal year at this time, but we will explain about our plan and when we will aim to achieve Nintendo-like profits at a future date.

Q: In the next fiscal year, I understand that some up-front costs will be incurred, particularly in the first half of the fiscal year, as you will invest in new businesses before their actual execution. Could we estimate that the new businesses will contribute to the overall profits for the full fiscal year? If that is the case, should we expect that new businesses will drive results in the next fiscal year? On the other hand, I believe that you will have results from the holiday season and you are able to see the pipeline for the next fiscal year. Do you expect that the existing Nintendo 3DS and Wii U businesses will continue to contribute to profits, for example through sales of current titles? Please share whatever you can about where you expect to see profits over the next fiscal year.

A: First, I'll address Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. As I described in the presentation today, Nintendo 3DS has sold over 20 million hardware units in Japan and over 54 million units globally. This presents an excellent chance to increase revenue through software sales in the Nintendo 3DS business. We presented a number of titles today that show what kind of software can drive our business. We have not yet announced all of the Nintendo 3DS software for the next fiscal year, but we are proceeding with development, including major titles. The Nintendo 3DS will continue to be a major pillar of our business in the coming fiscal year.

As for the Wii U, we have just passed 10 million units worldwide, so it is not quite on the level of the Nintendo 3DS. However, we have received a great response for titles such as Splatoon and Super Mario Maker, and we would like to continue to release titles we expect to be received positively in the next fiscal year.

As for new businesses, we will present further information when we go into details about our forecasts for the next fiscal year. We do not plan to speak about NX today. We continue development and planning efforts for NX in preparation for launch, so it will require additional investment.

Our expansion into smart device applications will depend on what kind of response we get from consumers.

We will also be licensing our IP to partners for other business opportunities. We believe these endeavors are important to spreading awareness of our IP among consumers, but we do not expect that they will drive a major share of our business immediately.

That's all I can share about the next fiscal year at this time.

Turrican3

Kimishima said:
The previous and current fiscal years have been a period of preparation to launch a number of new endeavors, such as NX development
[...]
As I have said before, we will be launching many of our new business activities as we move from this fiscal year into the next.
[...]
The question was to pick one area with which we will be able to achieve Nintendo-like profits, but I would like to suggest two areas. One area is our NX business

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160203qa/index.html

So, we can infer this is basically a confirmation NX will be launched before march 2017, right?

Turrican3

Thinking about it, maybe it's a confirmation it's actually coming in 2016 (civil year).

I mean, if Nintendo expect the NX business to significantly increase their profits, surely they would be better exploiting Holiday sales, especially in the West...

Roo

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160203qa/index.html

So, we can infer this is basically a confirmation NX will be launched before march 2017, right?
I don't think there was ever doubt about Nintendo releasing a new system this year (or their next FY for that matter)

Many people want them to replace Wii U asap but it seems like the handheld variant of NX will be the first in line.

God knows if it's logistically possible for a company such as Nintendo to release both platforms at the same time or on an extremely small window between them (1-3 months apart from each other) and successfully cover the demand if they're a hit.

marmoka

Banned
I'm starting to think that Nintendo won't provide any information about NX until they are 100% sure it will be possible to launch it this year.

Considering the issues they had with Wii U, with so many games badly ported, or first-party games delayed, shamefully slow operative system running in ultra-fast SSD, and so on, better not to take any risks. Some rumours even say Starfox will be delayed again.

Better not to announce anything for holiday, and then get another problematic console again. I'm thirsty of the NX announcement, but also scared of things getting horribly bad again for Nintendo, developers, and costumers.

Couple of quick corrections. Hate to be that guy, but we should get the facts straight in this thread. I want to talk more about the NX controller in a bit, as there were a couple of good posts I haven't had the chance to reply to.

Not true. Iwata confirmed they were still manufacturing new units in May of 2014.
Iwata said:
With respect to the impact of Wii U hardware sales on profit and loss, in order to sell 3.60 million units, we have to produce some more hardware units on top of our current hardware inventory. However, since the loss arising due to the hardware production costs being higher than our trade price was taken into account in the previous fiscal year, you could assume that there will be almost no loss this fiscal year for the sales of the 3.60 million hardware units.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508qa/index.html

I'm starting to think that Nintendo won't provide any information about NX until they are 100% sure it will be possible to launch it this year.

Considering the issues they had with Wii U, with so many games badly ported, or first-party games delayed, shamefully slow operative system running in ultra-fast SSD, and so on, better not to take any risks. Some rumours even say Starfox will be delayed again.

Better not to announce anything for holiday, and then get another problematic console again. I'm thirsty of the NX announcement, but also scared of things getting horribly bad again for Nintendo, developers, and costumers.

Wii U's internal memory is actually a fairly slow eMMC afaik.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Wii+U+Teardown/11796

Yeah, you can only launch 1 time so better it be a smooth launch in March than a poor one in November.
I remember the disaster that was the Wii U's OS at launch and watching those streams covering it. Constantly crashing taking ages to load, I imagine that hurt it quite a bit at launch.
I'd be ok with just the handheld coming out this year but I do think we need one system out relatively quickly. I'm really hoping we don't have to wait till November 2017 for the console, tho.
Also, if it launches in March that should explain why some western devs don't have is dev kit yet. Instead of <9 months to port a game they'll have around 12.

39f55bc468b812a0ef73a9985e216aaf.png

For whatever reason this comes up under search but when i view the actual profile this is gone. But before you get too excited...
http://www.h2flowgame.com/#/w

That's nice, thanks for sharing. Games like that for indie's or smart phone developers will be easy to port, but it is nice they are making games already.

Banned
Thinking about it, maybe it's a confirmation it's actually coming in 2016 (civil year).

I mean, if Nintendo expect the NX business to significantly increase their profits, surely they would be better exploiting Holiday sales, especially in the West...
Hence why a bunch of us speculated that holiday 2016 was a lock. They don't really have a choice since they promised Nintendo like profits for April 2017 and Wii U and 3DS 2016 support is missing mainline first party titles with the developers of those games going silent.

Thraktor

Funny thing is it started life as a 60MB/s read / 20MB/s write part, but its specs were later downgraded to 44MB/s read / 14MB/s write (on an 8bit bus). I wonder if nintendo knew that when they were picking the part.

I assume their main requirement was simply that it exceed disc read speeds (which I think are around 22MB/s on Wii U), and I doubt they placed any great amount of importance on r/w speeds beyond that. Their first one actually isn't all that far off the sequential reads the 5400rpm drives in the PS4 and XBO are likely to give, and it should comfortably beat them on random data access.

I also don't necessarily think that the eMMC is the main culprit for the long bootup time. I'd expect that the network features (i.e. loading the full details of 100 or so random Mii during bootup) are probably the main bottleneck.

If they do decide that lightning-fast bootup times are one of their priorities on the NX, though, then eMMC is available with up to 300MB/s read speeds these days, never even minding higher-bandwidth solutions.

Turrican3

Hence why a bunch of us speculated that holiday 2016 was a lock.
Yep, now at least on paper the only thing that remains to be seen is what kind of strategy they have planned regarding home and handheld launch timing... assuming, as I do, that they still want to keep both to more effectively target the japanese and the western markets.

Banned
Yep, now at least on paper the only thing that remains to be seen is what kind of strategy they have planned regarding home and handheld launch timing... assuming, as I do, that they still want to keep both to more effectively target the japanese and the western markets.
If twenty million units are supposed to be manufactured between October 2015-October 2016 according to that Foxconn rumor it's most likely both SKU's that are going to be priced competitively with a compelling gimmick. Or at least Nintendo is banking on it being compelling.

If twenty million units are supposed to be manufactured between October 2015-October 2016 according to that Foxconn rumor it's most likely both SKU's that are going to be priced competitively with a compelling gimmick. Or at least Nintendo is banking on it being compelling.

The gimmick needs to be

Functional and convenient system

I know he hasn't been popular around here for awhile, but Sonic's anniversary is coming up and well, I'm not sure if Nintendo will get a port of the game.
SEGA seemingly blamed Wii u for the poor sales of Boom and Lost World despite their reception being mixed at best. 3DS has Sonic Boom 2, maybe as SEGA's attempt to appease the fanbase on Nintendo consoles.
So do you guys think any Nintendo platform will get a port?
With Wii U, the system missed the anniversary year and SEGA didn't want to port it late and speculation keeps pointing at the console NX not coming out this year. Maybe, in the mean time, SEGA could make a unique version like they did with Sonic Unleashed which is basically the same game but downported to Wii and PS2.
So Sonic Adventure 3 (?) for PS4/X1/PC and the Nintendo version for NX portable/Wii U?
I remember Iwata mentioning that NX will absorb Wii U's architecture, in a sense, so maybe bringing over the Wii U version would be doable.
SEGA did make a Sonic Generations for 3DS as well and I'd imagine they would like to be there at launch.
Of course, this is assuming the NX console doesn't come out this year and if SEGA would really decide against making a Wii U version.

Banned
I know he hasn't been popular around here for awhile, but Sonic's anniversary is coming up and well, I'm not sure if Nintendo will get a port of the game.
SEGA seemingly blamed Wii u for the poor sales of Boom and Lost World despite their reception being mixed at best. 3DS has Sonic Boom 2, maybe as SEGA's attempt to appease the fanbase on Nintendo consoles.
With Wii U, the system missed the anniversary year and SEGA didn't want to port it late and speculation keeps pointing at the console NX not coming out this year. Maybe, in the mean time, SEGA could make a unique version like they did with Sonic Unleashed which is basically the same game but downported to Wii and PS2.
So Sonic Adventure 3 (?) for PS4/X1/PC and the Nintendo version for NX portable/Wii U?
I remember Iwata mentioning that NX will absorb Wii U's architecture, in a sense, so maybe bringing over the Wii U version would be doable.
SEGA did make a Sonic Generations for 3DS as well and I'd imagine they would like to be there at launch.
Of course, this is assuming the NX console doesn't come out this year and if SEGA would really decide against making a Wii U version.

Sonic will be there on Nintendo platforms. He always sells there best. Didn't Colors on Wii sell close to Generations on 360/PS3 combined? I know Unleashed sold best on Wii.

Sonic will be there on Nintendo platforms. He always sells there best. Didn't Colors on Wii sell close to Generations on 360/PS3 combined? I know Unleashed sold best on Wii.
You'd think that, but it wouldn't be the first time.
Though, admittedly, SEGA always tried to put out something (secret rings was made by the 06 Wii team and Generations 3DS).

Zalman

Yeah, pretty sure Colors sold even more than Generations PS3/360 combined. I don't think they'll skip Nintendo platforms, even if they have to do some work to port it. There's going to be a pick push behind the anniversary game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

But don't forget that Sonic Racing Transformed sold best on Wii U (I think...; it at least sold well). I think Sega knows there's potential on Nintendo systems for Sonic games with proper timing and critical reception. I'm pretty sure Lost World hasn't done very well on Steam either (another "I think..."), so I don't think Sega would only blame Nintendo for that game's limited success.

But don't forget that Sonic Racing Transformed sold best on Wii U (I think...; it at least sold well). I think Sega knows there's potential on Nintendo systems for Sonic games with proper timing and critical reception. I'm pretty sure Lost World hasn't done very well on Steam either (another "I think..."), so I don't think Sega would only blame Nintendo for that game's limited success.
Yeah, I'm hoping. Would be nice if it's at least NX Handheld+Wii U. I wonder if any titles will try that out for the time being until the console comes out

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I also don't necessarily think that the eMMC is the main culprit for the long bootup time. I'd expect that the network features (i.e. loading the full details of 100 or so random Mii during bootup) are probably the main bottleneck.
I blame Starbuck.

If they do decide that lightning-fast bootup times are one of their priorities on the NX, though, then eMMC is available with up to 300MB/s read speeds these days, never even minding higher-bandwidth solutions.
Definitely. eMMC in 2016 are not what they were in 2011 - the speeds today are at about 250MB/s for eMMC 5.

yoonshik

Probably nothing, but someone named Steven Chith works on Nintendo as Associate Software Development Engineer.

The description is quite funny. Not even Nintendo employees know what's NX : P

1455051446-1.png

There are also many software engineers developing the "next generation gaming device".

1455051732-2.png

It seems Nintendo hired most of them on January of this year.

As i said, it's nothing, so please be gentle.

TheMoon

Probably nothing, but someone named Steven Chith works on Nintendo as Associate Software Development Engineer.

The description is quite funny. Not even Nintendo employees know what's NX : P

1455051446-1.png

There are also many software engineers developing the "next generation gaming device".

1455051732-2.png

It seems Nintendo hired most of them on January of this year.

As i said, it's nothing, so please be gentle.

I feel like I've seen the former posted before. The jokey description sounds familiar. :)

It's only natural that NTD is heavily involved again, like usual.

MrBigBoy

Associate Software Engineer Contractor
February 2015 - Present

Nintendo Technology Development via vendor Aerotek
Working on next-gen console, NX.
Part of a 6-dev team coding multimedia drivers.
What could "multimedia drivers" mean? Blu-ray stuff or... ?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The influx of assistant/consulting devs can mean only one thing:
linux

On a second thought, could be
bsd
as well.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The influx of assistant/consulting devs can mean only one thing:
linux

On a second thought, could be
bsd
as well.
I was thinking
RHEL
or
CentOS
, but yeah, could be
BSD
too.

I think writing in your resume you are working on NX is fine, but mentioning "multimedia drivers" could be risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom