• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Sony and Microsoft decided to kill console gaming?

Console gaming is brilliant, so many good games and such good hardware. The biggest draw back this gen IMO is the price of the hardware itself
Long gone are the days when 3 years into a console cycle, the price would be cut dramatically

Going forward I like to see the system on chip dropped and move back to having a separate CPU and GPU for more power gains

I

L
What?

Why does Sony always get dragged into this? Last time I checked the PS5 is about double Series console sales.

Let me ask....why do you think more ppl are buying PS5's than Xbox consoles? Whatever the reason, more ppl want a PS5.

Hell, at this point might as well consider the Dual Sense as a major selling point when looking at console sales. MS was so focused on Backwards Compatibility it trickled over to their hardware decisions.
lol Xbox controller is way better than the dual sense

Last edited:

vkbest

Sony? The latest global sales numbers we got showed the PS5 selling around ~7% higher than the PS4 in a time-adjusted comparison. That may not be the growth they expect or want but it’s hardly “killing the console business”.

The only dying console is Xbox.
Their profits with PS5 in the first 4 years are marginally better than the same period in PS4 where Fortnite F2P version and Genshin impact didn’t exist for example. That means their software sales are worse than PS4 period.

Last edited:
I love the snobbery of pc gaming, I’ve had a gaming pc for 20 years. I still prefer laying on my couch playing in the 77 inch oled. I don’t want to sit at a desk and play anymore, my fucking back hurts. I don’t wanna put my pc in my living room, some people don’t need the best of the best. Jfc
Well said, I love the assumption that all PC users have a Mega PC that can run games better than the consoles when the reality is many PC users will have completely different specs and set up

I also laugh at the assumption that putting console games on a PC means they can't be counted as exclusives any more... Yet when you ask people to list their top 10 PS 1 exclusives you'll see FF 7, Tomb Raider 2, MGS in there, never mind they were on the PC.

darrylgorn

There are a few reasons that have developed up to the current state of gaming.

1. PCs are easier to game with than they have ever been (compatibility)

2. People simply do not care about graphics as much as they used to

3. Consoles don't have the same exclusivity leverage that they used to (Nintendo exception)

4. Consoles aren't as mobile as laptops and steam deck (Nintendo exception)

Consoles still have good hardware sales, but what truly matters is software sales, and both Sony and MS are faltering there.

Although, to be fair, at least Sony has astrobot lol

Last edited:

Fess

Why is Microsoft killing their own gaming brand?
That’s what we’re all wondering. Probably lots of folks inside Microsoft and their first party studios as well.

When Nintendo had a failed generation, with WiiU, they ended the generation early and vastly changed their strategy. Then they released Switch which is closing in on the #1 spot for the most sold console in history.

What’s Microsoft doing?
digging your own grave GIF

BlackTron

That’s what we’re all wondering. Probably lots of folks inside Microsoft and their first party studios as well.

When Nintendo had a failed generation, with WiiU, they ended the generation early and vastly changed their strategy. Then they released Switch which is closing in on the #1 spot for the most sold console in history.

What’s Microsoft doing?

Nintendo didn't really end the gen early though. Wii U lasted from 2012 to 2017...they limped it along for the typical duration expected of an N system as not to become Sega.

Fess

Nintendo didn't really end the gen early though. Wii U lasted from 2012 to 2017...they limped it along for the typical duration expected of an N system as not to become Sega.
Nov 2012 to March 2017, less than 5 years when generations had become longer. Switch came out when the other two released their X and Pro mid gen upgrades. Definitely an early end of the generation. Would be as if Xbox Next would launch early next year just months after PS5 Pro. But the talk goes that Microsoft will wait til 2027.

Imagine the state Xbox will be in after limping along for 2-3 years behind PS5 Pro and Switch 2 while doing Playstation and Nintendo ports and pushing ads about how you don’t need a Xbox.

Their current strategy is malfunctioning on so many levels from a platform owner perspective.

And if they’re turning into a third party publisher then they should announce that so people can stop wasting money investing in their platform. Then stop doing delays, go day 1 everywhere and maybe they could hit Elden Ring numbers for their upcoming games without any negativity coming from platform wars.

Woopah

What’s Microsoft doing?
I think it was a lot easier for Nintendo as they already had the winning ingredients, they just needed to focus on one ecosystem instead of being spread across 2 to 4.

MS on the other hand has been acquiring the winning ingredients, but the expense of acquiring them means they can't be used to their greatest effect (as exclusives).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This like shitty politics. You lump one with the other when we all know Xbox has been the Biden/Harris of the industry while wanting you to support their bad practices.

To be clear, Sony and Nintendo each play their part but they are much more capable of running a gaming sector than money rich Microsoft.

Fess

MS on the other hand has been acquiring the winning ingredients, but the expense of acquiring them means they can't be used to their greatest effect (as exclusives).
They’re filthy rich, they could make everything exclusive, except Call of Duty for 10 years. DOOM could be exclusive, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Diablo too. And ofcourse Forza, Forza Horizon, Gears, Halo, Fable, Starfield, Avowed, The Outer Worlds, and so on.

But they think it’s better to kill their platform and have more trouble increasing Gamepass subscriptions and have Valve take a 30% cut from everything on PC and Sony a 30% from everything on console and not get anything from third party sales and mtx.
Or do they have another plan that I’m not aware of?

Last edited:
I think Ms are so neck deep in this Netflix gaming type of model that even they don't know what's right and wrong.
If let's say gamepass comes on PS5 or switch 2 than u are literally killing of ur platform.
Cloud ain't going to replace consoles anytime soon , but gamepass and no exclusive games on platform will surely kill Xbox as a console.
I say this as a series x owner

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There are a few reasons that have developed up to the current state of gaming.

1. PCs are easier to game with than they have ever been (compatibility)

3. Consoles don't have the same exclusivity leverage that they used to (Nintendo exception)

Consoles still have good hardware sales, but what truly matters is software sales, and both Sony and MS are faltering there.

Although, to be fair, at least Sony has astrobot lol

Some other reasons including the line blurring between consoles and PC, with consoles inheriting the things that console owners criticized PC for years. Such as having to constantly update controllers, consoles and the games. Not to mention bugs and what's not. and having to upgrade for more power every few years.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
They're both afraid to go bankrupt by green lighting interesting and novel ideas.

We're god damn far away from the excitement of the early 2000s, when all new and weird stuff would release all the time. Gone are those fun days!

REDRZA MWS

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
Sony seems more than ok, and they are putting their games on pc too easy revenue

MacReady13

I think the reason is wanting to have profitable or at least sustainable gaming business.

They continue losing money and failing to reach the level of the competition after having spent almost $100B on acquisitions and even giving away their games day one on a subscription.

To sell hardware produces more loses and to don't publish in other platforms means to leave money in the table.

The MS higher ups at some point decided that their Xbox console was a failure and had to slowly migrate to become a full multiplatform 3rd party publisher, and I think they recently also started to realize that to put all their games plus some 3rd party ones "day one on GP" is also a failure, and must stop it asap and go back to focus again on selling games instead of their subscription that isn't capable to compete against Sony even after spending the almost $100B.
Completely get it but it hasn't hampered Sony and especially Nintendo. When you focus on making top quality 1st party games then people will flock to your console. Even getting 3rd party exclusives like the 360 had would have help Xbox consoles immensely.

Last edited:

Felessan

They do. But art became more important that IQ (image quality) because what people what people care is an artistic representation (and coincidentatly art is more expensive than just graphics tech)
People want beautifull things. In 240p you can barely makes anything recognizable and simply upping things to 1080p makes things more visually attractive. Going from 1080p to 4K make things more detailed etc, but things should be already attractive to increase attractiveness, otherwise its a waste of efforts.

They do. Don't overestimate poor folks that fool themselves "waiting 2 years is nothing"
FOMO is a thing. Playing game alone when literally no one care about game anymore is a bit frustrating for socialized person.

And both steamdeck, laptops and nintendo lose miserably to a mobile.

Last edited:
When you focus on making top quality 1st party games then people will flock to your console.

See that's the thing. People are buying PS5s... but the majority are apparently playing Fortnite and GTA V and the like on it.

It's going to be a real challenge getting enough people to buy PS6 unless it's mindblowingly better (and not outrageously expensive)

What’s Microsoft doing?
Switch was the successor to 3DS. Nintendo ended their home console line-up.
Pouring Austin Powers GIF

Last edited:

Brucey

See that's the thing. People are buying PS5s... but the majority are apparently playing Fortnite and GTA V and the like on it.

It's going to be a real challenge getting enough people to buy PS6 unless it's mindblowingly better (and not outrageously expensive)
With MS taking Xbox console platform out back and blowing it's brains out, I don't see a ps6 releasing anytime soon. We still have many millions of happy gamers on PS4. PS5 Pro could potentially give another 4 years, or more.

yurinka

Completely get it but it hasn't hampered Sony and especially Nintendo. When you focus on making top quality 1st party games then people will flock to your console. Even getting 3rd party exclusives like the 360 had would have help Xbox consoles immensely.
In the past maybe, but MS acknowledged there's nothing else they can do to save their console and are moving away to be full multiplatform, which in their specific case having bought so many multiplatform studios, IPs and publishers is a way better business.

yurinka

The problems come if I want to start a game from another launcher. Then the whole user experience break apart for me.
As soon as I exit Steam I need a mouse. I’ve tried to go around that by using a wireless keyboard with included touch pad, but it’s still so bad compared to consoles.
You can add non-Steam games to your Steam library and launch them from there.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Why invest million in consoles that use the same architectural of PC instead of just release games on PC?

Consoles made sense before smart tv existed, when people needed cd/dvd/blu-ray players. Nobody needs those anymore.

Switch was the successor to 3DS. Nintendo ended their home console line-up.
Pouring Austin Powers GIF

At last, someone gets it. If there's one corp that killed console gaming and turned their back on it, it's NCL. I miss the days when Nintendo made a dedicated under the TV console with serious specs.
I do laugh at when people call the consoles a PC in a box while ignoring the fact the Switch is Nvidia shield in a Nintendo box, Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to put its own stamp on the SOC too

Also, console games appearing on PC, is no different from PC games appearing on consoles, I remember the days of when Doom 3 was said to be impossible on a console and it wouldn't happen....
Either user is not going to dump their fav format over that IMO.

I'll always game on a console over a PC , while the likes of my uncle and one of my best mates will never leave the PC no matter what.

Zathalus

I will keep my console, thanks.
And I am for sure not "saddled" as I have a better PC than you. Because, unlike you, I didn't had to compromize and just bought 7900XTX (I have some personal stuff agains nvidia) rig for 2000$. I just have no incentive to play on it, because "random crashing of drivers" (and I AM one of those stupid common people who can't find joy in being computer nerd, so my PEBKAC obviously not as cool as you) just kill the joy of PC gaming completely. I do play some PC centric stuff like MMO on it, but thats all.
GPU related driver crashes on a stable modern system are exceedingly rare. If it is happening to you with any sort of frequency you either have faulty hardware or have overclocked something so that the system is unstable.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

They do. But art became more important that IQ (image quality) because what people what people care is an artistic representation

Yes, you're agreeing with me here.

I mean, I've been on gaming forums since these comparisons started. If an enthusiast type like me is playing modern games on a laptop that is the equivalent power of a PS4, it's saying something about the state of the industry.

The attach rate of the latest consoles (and this includes Sony) is underperforming. Championing hardware sales is frivolous at this point.

Last edited:

captainpat

Tinfoil fat on. Starting to think these types of threads are a psyop to make pc players look like a bunch of elitist a-holes.

Sure, at 30 fps. Try running Cyberpunk 2077 at max with that build.
I have a ryzen 3600, 16gb ddr4 and 3060ti. I can play cyberpunk with rtx on balanced at 45 to 60fps depending on location, with dlss on (that was back in early 2021 so I'm sure it's better now with better dlss and optimization I just haven't tried it since

It's perfectly playable. Now if I turn off rtx we are in thr 70 to 90 fps realm. The ray tracing is a hit on performance but it's not needed to enjoy the game. Hell you can get away with a 10 year old pc if you are willing to turn down graphics settings. That's something we all did back in the day as we had to. No one was playing Crysis at max back then, or quake 3, or doom, unless you had top of the line, and even then sometimes it wasn't possible.

wolffy66

Price of a gaming pc is literally all the consoles have left. I'm not sure that's gonna change tho. But for sure, if you can afford a pc, it's the way to go.

MacReady13

Well you need to play these games somewhere, so along with buying a PS5 for those games people will also buy a PS5 to play the exclusive 1st party games. Xbox could've gone down that path but they abandoned 1st party quality trying to prep up their sub service sadly.

Woopah

They’re filthy rich, they could make everything exclusive, except Call of Duty for 10 years. DOOM could be exclusive, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Diablo too. And ofcourse Forza, Forza Horizon, Gears, Halo, Fable, Starfield, Avowed, The Outer Worlds, and so on.

But they think it’s better to kill their platform and have more trouble increasing Gamepass subscriptions and have Valve take a 30% cut from everything on PC and Sony a 30% from everything on console and not get anything from third party sales and mtx.
Or do they have another plan that I’m not aware of?
Basically their cost of development is rapidly rising, while their Xbox audience is not.

If they released all their games only on Xbox Series, there's a high chance a lot or all of them will lose money. At the same time, they are (or were) losing significant money on hardware too.

So then then the question becomes, is it worth them losing money on hardware and first party titles to try and boost Xbox Series sales? They tried to get around this problem before by keeping games "console exclusive", while putting first party games on PC to make them profitable.

But dev costs have continued to rise and Xbox Series sales continue to fall, so now they are being forced to look beyond PC and Xbox to make first party software profitable. Even as a filthy rich company, they don't want to lose money

Basically, I think Microsoft has gotten themselves into a very difficult position where they have invested a lot to strengthen first party software to try and push Xbox sales. But now the value of the Xbox brand has fallen so much that, even with all their acquisitions and billions spent, their first party power is not enough to turn things around.

If they had all these exclusives on Xbox One in 2015/2016 then maybe that could have done something. But its far far too late now.

Fess

Basically their cost of development is rapidly rising, while their Xbox audience is not.

If they released all their games only on Xbox Series, there's a high chance a lot or all of them will lose money. At the same time, they are (or were) losing significant money on hardware too.

So then then the question becomes, is it worth them losing money on hardware and first party titles to try and boost Xbox Series sales? They tried to get around this problem before by keeping games "console exclusive", while putting first party games on PC to make them profitable.

But dev costs have continued to rise and Xbox Series sales continue to fall, so now they are being forced to look beyond PC and Xbox to make first party software profitable. Even as a filthy rich company, they don't want to lose money

Basically, I think Microsoft has gotten themselves into a very difficult position where they have invested a lot to strengthen first party software to try and push Xbox sales. But now the value of the Xbox brand has fallen so much that, even with all their acquisitions and billions spent, their first party power is not enough to turn things around.

If they had all these exclusives on Xbox One in 2015/2016 then maybe that could have done something. But its far far too late now.
Seems like their plan is to make everything timed exclusive. Now there is talk about Indiana Jones coming later to PS5.
In short they’re copying Sony’s PC strategy.
And I don’t use my PS5 anymore so that’s how great that strategy is. People will stay on the platform they prefer, especially if the delays are half a year, that’s nothing,

Last edited:

howitis3

consoles are for poor people and those without technical know how. They will be needed for a long time. especially for children.

Top Bottom