• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Sony and Microsoft decided to kill console gaming?

Not so much throwing in the towel but rather, trying and failing.

This gen sure sucks when it comes to first party output imo. Thankfully there are many third parties which keep releasing cool game after cool game.
Outside Elden Ring, Alan Wake 2, Baulder’s Gate 3 and a few remakes / remasters what great actual new third party games have been released this gen?

It’s hard to argue that this generation is absolutely disgraceful compared to every other generation due to covid, chip shortages, long cross gen period, longer dev cycles and Sony’s developers chasing GaaS instead of making award winning narrative action games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Posts like this are so stupid. For $500 you can build or buy a PC that is far more powerful than an Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

58d58233112f7060008b6d34

/s
I know a place where I can buy a top of the line PC for $500. The thing is that it doesn't belong to the person selling it.

I think they understand that the money is in the games and that it's just a means to the end. Hardware has always been traditionally a loss leader. Meaning that Sony will sell you a PlayStation, actually lose money for your buying the console but they will make it up with game sales. They have to get the hardware into your home to sell the product. It's giving away the razor to sell the razor blades. Recently, that's changed a little bit and they do make slight profit off the hardware but not to the point of it mattering.

If they can just sell you the games on PC or anywhere else without having to build hardware, R&D, etc., that's just more money for them. I do think we'll continue to see consoles for awhile but think it will be pretty standard to see Sony put software on PC going forward but possibly lock them behind a PlayStation app.
See this is my problem, traditionally back in the day the console makers would build on a foundation tailored to the hardware and software as a result creating unique experiences for the product. Today both Sony and Microsoft is not respecting that foundation, it does not matter how much they are selling, the product will logically always be watered down. The only company that is still respecting this today is Nintendo.

Nydius

The retards will mention sales, as if it's all that matters: the corpo pockets. Truth is this gen is barely hanging on due to remasters and remakes from gens' past.

That’s because sales are what matters, no matter how much you want to stupidly pretend otherwise. As previously pointed out, despite down quarters the PS5 is selling slightly better lifetime-to-date than the PS4 over the same adjusted time frame. If it’s selling that well with “no games”, imagine how well it would be doing with a strong line up.

But sure, it’s all doom and gloom. Or maybe the only “retards” are the ones acting like this generation doesn’t have any games.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
See this is my problem, traditionally back in the day the console makers would build on a foundation tailored to the hardware and software as a result creating unique experiences for the product. Today both Sony and Microsoft is not respecting that foundation, it does not matter how much they are selling, the product will logically always be watered down. The only company that is still respecting this today is Nintendo.
"Watered down" how? What should they be offering that the hardware is leaving them capable of? Last I checked, the DualSense is a piece of hardware that Sony has taken advantage of. What else is missing?

And Nintendo combined a handheld with a home console.....because what they were doing wasn't working. Yes, they take advantage of the Switch, but they are anything but traditional right now (and that's a good thing).

Last edited:

laynelane

I buy physical games and have no interest in Steam or playing on PC, like millions of others. That aside, what is the real point of this thread and all the others similar to it? All I see is an OP trying to tell everyone they should be on PC with a provably false assertion that two console makers have thrown in the towel. It just comes across as a poorly disguised PCMR thread and adults who don't understand the concept of "preferences" are annoying no matter what they play on.

Frwrd

Let me tell you something, I'll take a PC any day of my life, but right now? This "drought" is everywhere *&* nowhere.
Gaming is doing fine, Consoles are doing fine, PC is doing fine, go outside and catch some fresh air.

I gotta say this shit... These are the very same niggas that be screaming "consoles are doomed", "can't do 60fps", "can't do 4k", but then wanna praise their favorite fucking handheld barely running 720p @ 25fps (I'm exaggerating obviously.)

The same Steam dick riders that shit on Concord but wanna praise that wack-ass Deadlock. Weirdos.

That’s because sales are what matters, no matter how much you want to stupidly pretend otherwise. As previously pointed out, despite down quarters the PS5 is selling slightly better lifetime-to-date than the PS4 over the same adjusted time frame. If it’s selling that well with “no games”, imagine how well it would be doing with a strong line up.

But sure, it’s all doom and gloom. Or maybe the only “retards” are the ones acting like this generation doesn’t have any games.
Clown Glazing GIF

But the Switch is. Got it.

What sites are those?

All that almost perfect IQs at 21+:9 with best graphics, insanely good frame rates and input lag, best controllers for every game type, mods, free online are annoying af.
I got a PC and I prefer gaming on PC but it can be a hassle sometimes especially compared to console gaming.

All the things you mentioned are also reasons I prefer PC but some people prefer the convenience of consoles and I don’t think that will ever change.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Outside Elden Ring, Alan Wake 2, Baulder’s Gate 3 and a few remakes / remasters what great actual new third party games have been released this gen?
Well of you ask me? A ton of them, but I guess that depends on your tastes.

To name a few: Armored Core VI, Earth Defense Force 6, SMT V: Vengeance, Dragon's Dogma 2, Like a Dragon IW, Unicorn Overlord, Lies of P...

It all depends on tastes. But then again, I can assure you I haven't played a single first party game, even if MS puts them on PC day 1 or if Sony releases them on PC after a while. They just don't seem like fun games to me.

It’s hard to argue that this generation is absolutely disgraceful compared to every other generation due to covid, chip shortages, long cross gen period, longer dev cycles and Sony’s developers chasing GaaS instead of making award winning narrative action games.
Agree with this my man.

Krathoon

Gold Member
There is this "go big or go home" mentality in this industry that needs to go away. Instead of making a really good, tightly focused games, they want to make these huge bloated adventures.

Look at what happened to Zelda. It became this really long, open world game that is a chore to finish.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I got a PC and I prefer gaming on PC but it can be a hassle sometimes especially compared to console gaming.

All the things you mentioned are also reasons I prefer PC but some people prefer the convenience of consoles and I don’t think that will ever change.
Some hassle sometimes yes. No one denies that.

Kurimao

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
cLvVnvC.png

Period

iQuasarLV

Yeah, no reason to not be on PC. Overpriced GPUs and general low stability (WuKong benchmark crashed my drivers to the point that I had to spend an hour to make system work again properly) is for sure are not the reasons.

And ample of time at hand to deal with all "issues" of PC gaming
Always the driver's fault and not PEBKAC

$2000 for a PC from scratch. Bro, I do not have bottom of the line by far and I just parted it for $1400. What crack you smokin'?
k1b8eMi.jpeg

Last edited:

Durin

Can't tell what's more tiring, the threads acting like consoles are suddenly trash now, or the hyperbolic responses acting like playing a PC requires a degree in something with thousands on hand to spend to enter the platform.

The reality is only Microsoft is struggling to justify their console business, and have hurt their brand. Sony is stagnating because of the increased time and money it takes to make their big first-party games, but while that's happening they've eaten some of Microsoft's market share (along with PC) to still do well.

Nintendo is still churning out successes with a machine that is an 8 years old portable, and their next device will do PS4 generation level fidelity...which is the last time we got a graphical jump that mattered. This gen on the other hand has been diminished returns on graphics for games that take more money to produce, and therefore take less risk netting us worse AAA experiences.

PC is objectively easier to use than ever before, with more options of how to play (desktop, laptop, handheld), gamepad support is amazing, games are cheap, and drivers are a pointless thing to bring-up when the update process has been automated for years now. Even Linux is fast becoming a viable option as it fixes various usability issues that have plagued it for over a decade. High-end PCs aren't that necessary as we see the AAA game budget become unsustainable, making lower cost machines less of a compromise as they'll play anything else on the market well.

Every platform that isn't Xbox is doing well enough, unless you're someone who only plays AAA stuff.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Good question. I believe much of it is because they have no idea what direction to take for the consoles. As a result, consoles have lost their appeals over the years. More and more games are releasing exclusively in digital format. Subscription cost. High cost of peripherals and devices with next to no use.

On the other hand, PC gaming has been increasing becoming easier, affordable and popular to use. You can jump into PC games with a Steam Deck easily nowadays. Console makers are also releasing their console exclusives to PC for survival purpose, allowing PC to further cement its status as the market leader.

Fbh

Ok, so just get a PC?.

I swear half these threads basically prove why consoles are still relevant, because they feel like they are made by people who still want to game on console (either because the hardware is cheaper or because of convenience) and they are just mad they have fewer exclusives to gloat about.

Consoles aren't dying. There is still a market of tens (hundreds?) of millions of people that want a relatively affordable box with a relatively simple "plug and play" approach that can play most major releases for the next 6-7 years

DaGwaphics

All the millions of PS5s, Switches, and even Xbox systems out there beg to disagree. It's not really a growth market any longer, but that is far from being killed.

No doubt that PC (and sadly mobile, I hate to say it) is where the growth is at this point. Though the PC market is trying to take itself out with the excessive pricing.

DryvBy

Prices are generally reasonable except for GPUs and even there, those aren’t “too bad”. You could also hook up a PC to a TV easily enough.

That said, PS5 is easier and cheaper, no question.
I use my PC and Steam link stuff but as someone who spent over half his life primarily on PC, if both my PC went out and my PS5 went out, I'd not even flinch at just buying a PS5 again. PC would be a slow burn just to get it back up. I'm personally not near as impressed with modern PC gaming. The price to quality ratio is low imo. Two gens ago? PC all the way. Cheaper and things looked drastically better compared to 360/PS3.

Felessan

Always the driver's fault and not PEBKAC
Of course its PEBKAC. It's PEBKAC of normal person. I am not a shut-in nerd to spend hours and hours to make PC works properly - I have no time and desire to do so. I just want to turn system and play, not read forums and tweak system.
I even have extensive IT background, QA included (so I know how to troubleshoot), but I left it all in past. I leave this "exciting entertainment" for young who have their curiosity and lot of time at hand.

$2000 for a PC from scratch. Bro, I do not have bottom of the line by far and I just parted it for $1400. What crack you smokin'?
You bought 6700XT which is barely better than PS5 for triple the cost. Replace it with 4080/7900XTX and it will be over 2000$

No doubt that PC (and sadly mobile, I hate to say it) is where the growth is at this point. Though the PC market is trying to take itself out with the excessive pricing.
There is no growth in PC market.

00_Zer0

I'll be honest I'm not all doom and gloom for the supposed coming "Consolepocalypse" but I share some of OP's sentiments regarding the Playstation and XBox brand. I love games from all platforms, but when I can play 99.9% of all games on PC, and my Switch, not to mention the benefits of emulating past classics then I see no reason to own a PS5 or XBox Series X. I am not into many AAA Western style games, so when I can get my indie, and Japanese developed, and Nintendo exclusive fix between the Switch and PC, well then there is no point in me owning the latest and greatest XBox or Playstation.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I'm sure everyone here has literally $2000 to spend freely on a modern custom-build PC.
This. With the prices of modern era PC market Sony can do whatever they want and they’d still sell. Microsoft is failing upwards, idk what the big plan is.

drganon

Good question. I believe much of it is because they have no idea what direction to take for the consoles. As a result, consoles have lost their appeals over the years. More and more games are releasing exclusively in digital format. Subscription cost. High cost of peripherals and devices with next to no use.

On the other hand, PC gaming has been increasing becoming easier, affordable and popular to use. You can jump into PC games with a Steam Deck easily nowadays. Console makers are also releasing their console exclusives to PC for survival purpose, allowing PC to further cement its status as the market leader.
At least your consistent with your brain dead takes.

HofT

Banned
PC Gaming is a Battle Royale/GaaS machine. Sony is in complacency mode. Microsoft continues to be lost. And Nintendo is Nintendo.

Last edited:

Allandor

Why did they decide to kill console gaming?
The problem is more that you all always want better graphics and that is expensive. Way more expensive than a small console install base can handle. So the audience must grow.

Nintendo hasn't this problem yet, but the more powerful the hardware gets, graphics is going to get more and more expensive.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

This is because consoles are starting to become a closed platform PC. The rising cost of development also means they can’t take a lot of risk, so their games are standardizing whereby they can now be ported to PCs to recoup the development cost.

This is unlike in the yesteryears where they also releases games for peripherals that is harder to emulate on PC like some dance pad or light guns.

DavidGzz

It's like 99% Steam. PC+Steam Deck is all you need. I'll probably keep buying consoles though. They are cheap and I just love gaming.

Cyberpunkd

What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
Because they ran the numbers and in pursuit of perpetual growth they cannot stick to the model as before. The problem companies like Microsoft and Sony will not accept revenues like Nintendo has.

StereoVsn

I played it on PS5 with the PS5 version and got the plat recently ran fine to me. Then again a lot of times when people say there are "issues" it's all fine to me. Even on PC when I would play games that people said have issues they ran fine to me so maybe I just don't notice half this stuff that people are mentioning.
Well, if you were ok with native PS5 version, ER on PC would have been fine. Well, until they broke more shit with the expansion, lol.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
While it's true to say there will always be people who want to pay less for the convenience and ease of console gaming...

...the fact the console manufacturers are basically just putting out boxes with PC parts you can't upgrade, and putting their games on PC anyway, does indicate that the console market will continue to lose importance.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Most of the PCMR crowd spend all their time talking about how awesome their $3k pcs are then use them to play modded 20-30 year old games while port begging for console games. It's the weirdest shit ever.

I like to play new games from my couch so console is an easy choice. I have PC if I want to fuck around with other stuff.

Last edited:
PS5 is selling 18M consoles this year,...around the same of what PS4 sold on year 4 as far as i remember and more of what PS3 sold on year 4.
But sure...Sony, the hardware company whose main source of income (PSPlus) is on consoles only is trying to kill console gaming.

Just because MS is clearly doing so, doesn't mean Sony is. Stop trying to put these on the same boat. PS5 will be at over 70M consoles sold before 2025 starts and right when this gen hits its midpoint for the console (4 years since release).

PS5 will be above 80 or even 90M consoles sold by the time GTA VI releases...that's more than PS3's lifetime consoles sold. But sure..."Sony is killing consoles"

DaGwaphics

There is no growth in PC market.

Cumulatively there is massive growth there, hence the PC gaining a bigger piece of the pie when publishers break down the numbers and Steam's ever growing peak concurrent numbers. The growth is even more pronounced in Asia than in the western countries.

Top Bottom