• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Sony and Microsoft decided to kill console gaming?

daninthemix

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
They saw how obnoxious their own fanboys were and decided to troll them mercilessly.

GreatnessRD

Console gaming is too convenient for it to go anywhere. While its great PC is getting console games, console gaming will continue to live on. Didn't it sell like 61 million consoles to date or something? You trippin' over nothing.

Hail master Race though!

yurinka

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel?
Lol, what a bullshit!

In the Sony side the current PS generation is the top grossing one, generated more profits than ever, has the biggest active userbase ever and they broke their console exclusive launch sales with games released in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024 and that basically every year have one or a few between the GOTY awards winners or candidates. Every year PS has more games released not available in PC than in the previous one, because they release every year more PS only games than PC ports of old games. And on top of that there's the console only multiplatform games.

They are also making more money than ever with accesories and with game subs. Regarding hardware, they had the chips shortages and component price increases and huge inflation made them rise prices instead of applying a price cut, and still considering this they're only 1.8M behind PS4 (they're ahead in USA and JP).

And well, there's also the typical benefits of getting a console instead of a PC continue there: the optimized plug & play experience of not having to worry about drivers, game tech spec requirements, unstable performance, shader streaming stuttering, games more optimized, better horsepower-price balance and so on.

Last edited:

Fess

My 2 cents as a long time console gamer going to PC.

Steam is great, fantastic even, but as soon as you try using other launchers the experience takes a hit.

There needs to be one UI, one OS, to access all launchers for PC gaming to reach consoles in user experience.

Valve, Epic, Sony, Nvidia, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Gamepass, Ubisoft, GOG, Rockstar, EA, etc needs to collaborate on this. Nobody gain anything from the current situation. It’s mess.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The funny thing is, modern consoles are essentially locked down PCs. They are more PC than console these days.

XBoxes especially. That is really the core design behind them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I couldn't disagree more with an OP ever in my life!!! Geez!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My 2 cents as a long time console gamer going to PC.

Steam is great, fantastic even, but as soon as you try using other launchers the experience takes a hit.

There needs to be one UI, one OS, to access all launchers for PC gaming to reach consoles in user experience.

Valve, Epic, Sony, Nvidia, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Gamepass, Ubisoft, GOG, Rockstar, EA, etc needs to collaborate on this.
Nobody gain anything from the current situation. It’s mess.

This is the WORST idea ever! The whole point of PCs is that there's many experiences and not one UI or OS. Why would you ever type the bolded? Like why?!?!

Majukun

I actually see it the opposite..with how much the prices of PC gaming have gotten, it is not a direct alternative to console gaming but something completely different.

I mean, console gaming has gotten expensive too, between consoles that never fell in price but actually get more expensive and 70 euros/dollars games, but the amount of money you have to pull for a worthy gaming pc is kinda outrageous nowadays

Fess

This is the WORST idea ever! The whole point of PCs is that there's many experiences and not one UI or OS. Why would you ever type the bolded? Like why?!?!
Because going between a bunch of different launchers is terrible! Especially when you have the PC connected to a TV. I boot in Steam big picture mode. When I exit that I need a mouse. And mouse is not an option for me in the living room, I don’t even want a mouse pointer controlled with a stick or touch pad, awful user experience.

I want everything on one list, with a slick controller-focused UI, one button to start. No mouse pointers or login fields or error messages I can’t get away from without a mouse or keyboard.

Could sort the list by publisher or launcher or most played, user customizable. Make a list like in Emulation Station on Raspberry Pi, I don’t care what emulator the games are running on there, I just want that consistent experience and one big list of games started by pressing one button.

Literally, using regular Windows and juggling multiple launcher apps just means I’ll miss games, because I’ll stay on Steam 99.9% of the time because of the superb big screen mode which makes it feel like using a console.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Console gaming is alive and well but PC gaming is in a really good place right now.
It all comes down to what people prefer and I say it's good that we have so many choices these days.

Well, if you were ok with native PS5 version, ER on PC would have been fine.

You know even when my cousin was complaining about it I had the same thought that it would probably be fine to me. I just feel like I'm a dummy when it comes to that kind of stuff. It took me a long time to realize how much better 60 FPS was than 30. To me it all looked the same. Then I spent to much time on my PC gaming and when I went back to my PS5 I played a game that was only 30FPS and it made my eyes hurt. Literally had to repurchase the game on PC.

Reminds me of when I watch TV shows\movies and everyone can see the twist from a mile away and I'm in shock at the plot twist they just pulled and I never saw coming. Rewatched a TV show recently where I never saw the twist the first time around and now I'm just like "How the hell did I not see it coming".

I'm sure everyone here has literally $2000 to spend freely on a modern custom-build PC.
It doesn't cost that much, unless you insist on 4k.
For 1080p you can get it for much less.

CPU - 80 -$100 for 6 core/12 thread cpu (example 3600/5600 or intel 11400f)
Gpu - 4060 or 3060 - $275-300
Ram - 16gb ddr4 -$35 for corsair vengeance or gskill ripjaws (double if doing a ddr5 build).
PSU - 750w -$60 for evga psu
Case - $40 coolermaster matx
Monitor - 24"1080p $80.
Keyboard/mouse - $25
Headphones/speakers -$25
windows 11 key - $25
1tb ssd - $50
Total price around - $700 , give or take.

Now if you already have a keyboard/mouse and monitor and hard drive its less.
This is a budget build that will run everything at max at 1080p. If you get a 3050 for $175 or a 1650super for 150 (or there is the used market for better cards cheap).
You can always go cheaper with parts, but this build will get you all the way with 1080p. Hell an old dell from 8 years ago would work with a ram and gpu upgrade in a pinch.

Granted this isn't the same as easy to use console on a tv, but it is more powerful with more game options, unless you like local co-op, which for that I would recommend switch anyway.
PC can also be streamed to a steam link box or app to play on your tv using steam big picture mode, for a more console like experience.

Last edited:

Fess

I love the snobbery of pc gaming, I’ve had a gaming pc for 20 years. I still prefer laying on my couch playing in the 77 inch oled. I don’t want to sit at a desk and play anymore, my fucking back hurts. I don’t wanna put my pc in my living room, some people don’t need the best of the best. Jfc
Yeah I too prefer the couch. But when both Microsoft and Sony started normalizing console to PC ports of exclusives it got me to build a secondary PC specifically for TV and couch gaming.

I’ve been debating on either getting a PS5 to go along with my Series X and Switch or buy a PC. I bought my last PC for gaming in 2010, but moved on to consoles for the convenience. I don’t really care for the politics in the gaming industry, I just want to play some good single player games.
I guess I’m going to sit and wait awhile longer to see what happens. Perhaps there will be some good deals on PS5 hardware in the fall.
Ps5 , PC and switch is what you want for single player. Switch has tons of great games.
PS5 has mostly 3rd party exclusives and multiplats, stellar blade, rise of ronin, robocop, ff16, etc.. and ps4 library.
Xbox has redfall and starfield and good older 360 titles, and not much else.
Switch has tons of 1st party, ports and indies,
PC really has all of the above and even a portable handheld for under $350. Plus tons of single player early access games, strategy and survival games you won't find on console. It even has legit jrpg support now, as most games get a port now.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

Of course its PEBKAC. It's PEBKAC of normal person. I am not a shut-in nerd to spend hours and hours to make PC works properly - I have no time and desire to do so. I just want to turn system and play, not read forums and tweak system.
I even have extensive IT background, QA included (so I know how to troubleshoot), but I left it all in past. I leave this "exciting entertainment" for young who have their curiosity and lot of time at hand.

You bought 6700XT which is barely better than PS5 for triple the cost. Replace it with 4080/7900XTX and it will be over 2000$

There is no growth in PC market.
And that is your mistake thinking you need a 4080 or 7900XTX to begin to warrant a viable gaming PC. Your previous paragraph should give you benefit of the doubt, but you know what; comments that you make to refute others show that your experience in IT taught you nuh-thing.

If I can game at 4k 120FPS using a 6700xt in Diablo 4 @ Ultra Settings what is your excuse? That is the power of PC gaming, choices, adaptability.

You can keep your console and turn things on and go to the game and that is it, but you do not get to complain when you are saddled with shitty experience or graphics because your console aged out after the first year versus a comparable game on PC. You also do not get to shame PC gamers for wanting to exercise choice in products and experiences.

iQuasarLV

Cumulatively there is massive growth there, hence the PC gaining a bigger piece of the pie when publishers break down the numbers and Steam's ever growing peak concurrent numbers. The growth is even more pronounced in Asia than in the western countries.
I agree, the problem that a lot of people see is that PC has no defined SINGLE platform to measure with. I mean so say that it is near impossible to compare PC gaming growth with Sony, MS, or Nintendo. In the last 25 years I can tell you that it has been cyclical, every 5 years PC gaming is dying articles surface. Follow that in a year or two that with articles seeing that PC gaming has never been stronger.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Lol, what a bullshit!

In the Sony side the current PS generation is the top grossing one, generated more profits than ever, has the biggest active userbase ever and they broke their console exclusive launch sales with games released in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024 and that basically every year have one or a few between the GOTY awards winners or candidates. Every year PS has more games released not available in PC than in the previous one, because they release every year more PS only games than PC ports of old games. And on top of that there's the console only multiplatform games.

They are also making more money than ever with accesories and with game subs. Regarding hardware, they had the chips shortages and component price increases and huge inflation made them rise prices instead of applying a price cut, and still considering this they're only 1.8M behind PS4 (they're ahead in USA and JP).

And well, there's also the typical benefits of getting a console instead of a PC continue there: the optimized plug & play experience of not having to worry about drivers, game tech spec requirements, unstable performance, shader streaming stuttering, games more optimized, better horsepower-price balance and so on.
Most of the people who make these threads have never looked at the numbers. Valve/Steam pulls in maybe a third of the revenue of Sony gaming....

Yet we're supposed to believe this stupid ass notion, that console gaming is dying.

Xbox as a console is dying. Playstation and Nintendo are stronger than ever.

Last edited:
Good question. I believe much of it is because they have no idea what direction to take for the consoles. As a result, consoles have lost their appeals over the years. More and more games are releasing exclusively in digital format. Subscription cost. High cost of peripherals and devices with next to no use.

On the other hand, PC gaming has been increasing becoming easier, affordable and popular to use. You can jump into PC games with a Steam Deck easily nowadays. Console makers are also releasing their console exclusives to PC for survival purpose, allowing PC to further cement its status as the market leader.
I can guarantee you the posters in here defending Sony’s and Microsoft decision are going to be the same people complaining about “oh there’s no innovation”, “stagnation..”, “I miss the old generation of consoles..”, ect when they finally find out and people realize they are paying for essentially watered down PC games on these supposed consoles (aka basically a prebuilt PC at this point) in the next coming years. I bet not see y’all playing the other side of the fence, I’m a pull up these receipts.

For those who grew up with consoles and know what I’m talking about all we got left is Nintendo, I’m just saying.

yurinka

Most of the people who make these threads have never looked at the numbers. Valve/Steam pulls in maybe a third of the revenue of Sony gaming....

Yet we're supposed to believe this stupid ass notion, that console gaming is dying.
image.png

To be specific, Sony reports their PC revenue under "other software" (meaning 1st party game revenue outside PS, in addition to PC also includes MLB and Destiny 2 on Xbox and Switch).

That "other software" segment has a huge year over year growth since they started their PC push back in 2019. Last fiscal year generated 105.36B yen / $711,75M and last quarter 33.10B yen/$223,65M (doubled the revenue from the same quarter from previous year).

The "other software" revenue is a lot of money and still provides a small portion of Sony's "game software" revenue or SIE's total segment sales. But it's very important for the long term because unlike their console business it has a lot of growth and has a huge profit margin, so as it keeps growing will be more important to make their huge AAA games less risky and to compensate the money they lose with every console hardware unit sold specially if they discount it in the future.

That "other software" revenue is number is what Sony gets after Steam or other PC and console stores get their cut. In Steam, it's 30% for when the portion where the game made less than $10M on Steam. It's 25% for the portion where the game made between $10M and $50M and 20% when -case of several Sony PC titles- the game made over $50M.

Outside the holidays Q3, that "other software" made more revenue for Sony last quarter and FY than the physical editions of all PS 1st and 3rd party games combined.

Xbox as a console is dying. Playstation and Nintendo are stronger than ever.
Yes

Last edited:
It doesn't cost that much, unless you insist on 4k.
For 1080p you can get it for much less.

CPU - 80 -$100 for 6 core/12 thread cpu (example 3600/5600 or intel 11400f)
Gpu - 4060 or 3060 - $275-300
Ram - 16gb ddr4 -$35 for corsair vengeance or gskill ripjaws (double if doing a ddr5 build).
PSU - 750w -$60 for evga psu
Case - $40 coolermaster matx
Monitor - 24"1080p $80.
Keyboard/mouse - $25
Headphones/speakers -$25
windows 11 key - $25
1tb ssd - $50
Total price around - $700 , give or take.
Yes, but PS5/Series X can do 4K and they go for like $399. Heck, I would not recommend it but you could even get a series s for $299 and game at 1080p which is much less than a $700 rig. At the end of the day, most people prefer convenience over performance and this is why console gaming is bigger than PC.

I think if you care about frame rate/ performance getting a PC makes sense but most people don't care about gaming with a high FPS/max settings.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They didn't release on PC because they wanted to kill console gaming, they released on PC because the audience was there for their product and third parties were already making bank by doing so.

Felessan

And that is your mistake thinking you need a 4080 or 7900XTX to begin to warrant a viable gaming PC. Your previous paragraph should give you benefit of the doubt, but you know what; comments that you make to refute others show that your experience in IT taught you nuh-thing.
Why whould you buy a PC to have similar (or worse, PC issues stays all the time) performance to a console for x3 price, For me it's just stupid.
And my experience taught me one important things - the most important thing that you should value is neither fps or resolution, it's not even money. It's time. And I don't want to spend it on some juvenile bullshit like troubleshooting computer to play a game.

You can keep your console and turn things on and go to the game and that is it, but you do not get to complain when you are saddled with shitty experience or graphics because your console aged out after the first year versus a comparable game on PC. You also do not get to shame PC gamers for wanting to exercise choice in products and experiences.
I will keep my console, thanks.
And I am for sure not "saddled" as I have a better PC than you. Because, unlike you, I didn't had to compromize and just bought 7900XTX (I have some personal stuff agains nvidia) rig for 2000$. I just have no incentive to play on it, because "random crashing of drivers" (and I AM one of those stupid common people who can't find joy in being computer nerd, so my PEBKAC obviously not as cool as you) just kill the joy of PC gaming completely. I do play some PC centric stuff like MMO on it, but thats all.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
First off it’s not dead by a long shot and personally I don’t want to deal with the PC issues and hackers.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Microsoft because they couldn't be happy with third or building their own stuff to change that

Sony because they don't wanna reign in budgets and want short term gain over long term sustainability.

I would see Nintendo's profits and keep exclusives exclusive

Yes, but PS5/Series X can do 4K and they go for like $399. Heck, I would not recommend it but you could even get a series s for $299 and game at 1080p which is much less than a $700 rig. At the end of the day, most people prefer convenience over performance and this is why console gaming is bigger than PC.

I think if you care about frame rate/ performance getting a PC makes sense but most people don't care about gaming with a high FPS/max settings.
I guess it depends on what you want. Being able to play city skylines 2, songs of syx, manor lords, enshrouded, against the storm, surviving mars, rimworld, and all the other survival, strategy, and rougelikes that aren't on console is worth it.

Plus all the mods for existing games, or older games. Example- Theif 1 and 2 have 100s of user made missions, that are free, and high quality, some have done a full on sequel in the engine. There is even a game made using one of the idtech engines that has nothing but fan made games and levels. You just don't get this stuff on consoles.

Doom, Qauke2, rtx , experimental stuff, early access, indie games without a premium price.

Then there is over 4+ decades of backwards compatibly, and console emulation. Can I play Pools of Radiance, Might and Magic 6, Wizardry 8, and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on a console, nope. The same system I can play any ps2/game cube, ps1 snes, nes, genesis game etc... upscaled and with customized controls. Can't do that with a console.
Plus all the other benefits that come with a pc.

I own all the current consoles, but damn, pc is king for what you can play and do. If i didn't work at one for 8 hours a day I would be on it more, thankfully in house streaming to a tv or tablet is easy.

I really don't think pc is the performance king as what exclusive games on pc are pushing graphics? We used to have games like Quake, Crysis, Witcher, Stalker that all pushed graphics, now only AAA pc exclusives are really none that I can think of. To me, for graphics, yeah you are right a console is better and cheaper for that and they actually get AAA games outside of dumbass gaas made for them (for now at least).

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
What?

Lots of people don't want to deal with PC. It has a ton of upside but there's lots of legitimate reasons people don't want to exclusively game there.

MacReady13

Remove Sony from your heading OP and you are onto a winner. For some strange reason, Microsoft doesn't see console gaming as a viable option going forward and are single handedly trying to kill it off. Got me absolutely fucked as to why (could be cause they can't catch Playstation) but still, they were onto a winner with the 360 and then decided to ruin any momentum they had.

Now they are just the blockbuster/paramount plus of gaming today which is really unfortunate as I considered myself an xbox gamer not that long ago...

Brucey

Remove Sony from your heading OP and you are onto a winner. For some strange reason, Microsoft doesn't see console gaming as a viable option going forward and are single handedly trying to kill it off. Got me absolutely fucked as to why (could be cause they can't catch Playstation) but still, they were onto a winner with the 360 and then decided to ruin any momentum they had.

Now they are just the blockbuster/paramount plus of gaming today which is really unfortunate as I considered myself an xbox gamer not that long ago...
Xbox died after 360 Kinect was released. Did wonders for 360 console sales but Xbox management decided to go after the 100s of millions/billions of casuals. The "hardcore" Xbox gamer who had supported the OG Xbox and 360 just weren't the focus of attention anymore. Xbox one was the culmination of that, trying to capture the us cable tv market that was already unplugging, billion dollar NFL deals etc.

MacReady13

Xbox died after 360 Kinect was released. Did wonders for 360 console sales but Xbox management decided to go after the 100s of millions/billions of casuals. The "hardcore" Xbox gamer who had supported the OG Xbox and 360 just weren't the focus of attention anymore. Xbox one was the culmination of that, trying to capture the us cable tv market that was already unplugging, billion dollar NFL deals etc.
That I can agree with- the 360 BEFORE Kinect was seriously one of, if not my fav console of all time. they dropped the ball big time with Kinect but still had the games to compete. The way they treated the Xbone is honestly one of the most boneheaded moves I've ever seen in ANY industry.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They didn't release on PC because they wanted to kill console gaming, they released on PC because the audience was there for their product and third parties were already making bank by doing so.

And now their shareholders will question why no PC release for more revenue if they stop so it is an irreversible path

yurinka

Steam is great
Steam is a crap that makes you wait for a while to update it and log in even if I have a top tier connection when I try to run the game.

On top of that, unless you disable it throws an invasive popup and their store every time I open a game, and it also opens its store unless you change it to open something else. It doesn't allow you to only open the game.

In addition to this, once you closes it, it doesn't really shuts down, it keeps in the hidden icons and you have to go there to manually shut it down.

All these PC stores/launchers should allow you to open only the game by clicking an icon in your desktop without opening anything else, specially invasive spam.

yurinka

For some strange reason, Microsoft doesn't see console gaming as a viable option
I think the reason is wanting to have profitable or at least sustainable gaming business.

They continue losing money and failing to reach the level of the competition after having spent almost $100B on acquisitions and even giving away their games day one on a subscription.

To sell hardware produces more loses and to don't publish in other platforms means to leave money in the table.

The MS higher ups at some point decided that their Xbox console was a failure and had to slowly migrate to become a full multiplatform 3rd party publisher, and I think they recently also started to realize that to put all their games plus some 3rd party ones "day one on GP" is also a failure, and must stop it asap and go back to focus again on selling games instead of their subscription that isn't capable to compete against Sony even after spending the almost $100B.

At this point there is literally no reason not to be on your PC exclusively with Steam installed. Even with both today’s console, neither company is even technically playing to their strengths in terms of hardware and software design which has allowed the PC to be a far better experience. With out Nintendo, console gaming is essentially done (obviously there’s emulation sabotaging Nintendo’s latest console but for argument sake..). What’s the reason behind Sony and Microsoft throwing in the towel
Because more money.

Fess

Microsoft because they couldn't be happy with third or building their own stuff to change that

Sony because they don't wanna reign in budgets and want short term gain over long term sustainability.

I would see Nintendo's profits and keep exclusives exclusive
I think stock value is a big reason for these changes, they want short term gains and don’t realize they’re hurting their platform longterm by removing reasons to invest when people can just wait for games to pop up on their favorite platform instead.
Steam is a crap that makes you wait for a while to update it and log in even if I have a top tier connection when I try to run the game.

On top of that, unless you disable it throws an invasive popup and their store every time I open a game, and it also opens its store unless you change it to open something else. It doesn't allow you to only open the game.

In addition to this, once you closes it, it doesn't really shuts down, it keeps in the hidden icons and you have to go there to manually shut it down.

All these PC stores/launchers should allow you to open only the game by clicking an icon in your desktop without opening anything else, specially invasive spam.
I have a PC specifically for TV/couch gaming and boot it in Steam big picture mode.

There are no pop-ups, it shows my library directly when it starts, no store page unless I go to that, if I click A once I enter the individual game page, click again and I start a game.

Exit a game and I end up in the individual game page, click B once and I’m back into the library page.

It’s perfect. Feels almost exactly like a console.

The problems come if I want to start a game from another launcher. Then the whole user experience break apart for me.
As soon as I exit Steam I need a mouse. I’ve tried to go around that by using a wireless keyboard with included touch pad, but it’s still so bad compared to consoles.

I usually end up just playing Steam games and then use the other launchers on a desktop PC, where it is as you say. But I never close Steam so the pop-up you talk about is avoided that way, it sits on the library page at all times.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

They don't have a choice. Development cost is rapidly rising and PC is growing drastically. Will be stupid if they stubbornly refuse to release day 1 on PC
the 'they' on this case is microsoft alone.

which is due to their failure of growing up their market base. which is again, partly due to their day 1 release on pc from very beginning. they dont even give their own platform space to breath. and now they even end up need to rely on their competitor platform due to bigger market base.

Last edited:

KellyNole

Sony and Microsoft aren’t killing consoles. They are still going to be around. Sony and Microsoft are adjusting to the market. Total consoles sold per gen has stayed between 200 and 300 million each gen since the ps2/xbox/gamecube days. There hasn’t been much growth beyond that. Also, software sales of In house games are less than they were last gen for both companies. Game cost are high these days and they need to be able to hit new markets for profits. Third parties reducing their console-only exclusives dimish the need to buy a console. Less people buying consoles, less potential buyers of your software.

There also might be a new player. If Apple gets serious about games with the M chips, they potentially could eat into MS and Sony’s console shares. With most of Apples products running the M series chip, a game could be developed for phone, Mac, or tablet in one go. Apple could release an Apple TV with an m series chip for 400 or 500 bucks. It could rival the consoles, especially with the eco system. Buy a game play it your Apple TV, then move to the phone or Mac book on the go. While taking a break in the office load it up on your Mac mini or studio. Not saying this will happen, but a possibility.

Top Bottom