• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Halo 2 is the most anticipated video game ever in mainstream gaming

wazoo

SolidSnakex said:
GT's the only one of those games that's shown any sales consistancy in the 3D era. Even at it's consistancy of 3 million in the US with each release, it's not GTA level.

Worldwide, GT is quite a seller. Europe is really racing territory.

Brofist

Halo 2 is more talked about because it has been longer since the original, then the time since the last GTA..and also I feel like it's almost so well know how well GTA:SA will sell, it's an afterthough right now. But make no mistake GTA:SA will outsell Halo 2.

wazoo said:
Worldwide, GT is quite a seller. Europe is really racing territory.

Yah GT's a great seller. It's just that when you compare it to GTA, like every other game it's sales don't look as good. GTA's basically reached a point where it's really unfair to compare other games to it's sales.

Brofist

Lukas said:
Lets look at the facts.

It was number 1 most anticipated game of 2004 on the Spike TV Video Game awards beating out popular PS2 games.

Its been number 1 for the last 2 years in EGM for top 10 games I am waiting for.

Its number 1 on console preorders at amazon.com, ebgames.com, and gamestop.com

In the EGM top 10 games of all time on MTV Halo 2 was the number 1 reason 2004 will rock, with games like GT4, MGS3, etc, etc, all coming in behind it, and Halo as the number 2 best game of all time only being beat by the ENTIRE Zelda franchise.

On CNN it was reported to be the most anticipated game of all time. ON actual TV they said this.

On MTVS "10 coolest gadgets of 2004" Halo 2 was actually mentioned as one of the things you "must own in 2004", infact, it was even the only game that was mentioned.

So far no game, not even GTA SA, has managed all of this hype in the mainstream. If all of these things arent an indication that Halo 2 will be one of the biggest selling games of all time then I dont know what is.

wowie MTVS 10 coolest gadgets AND Spike TV approved. Shit I'm gonna buy 10 copies alone.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Lukas, congrats on taking the "most insufferable fanboy" crown away from the likes of Olimario! Feel free to add this to your list of Halo accomplishments.

SyNapSe

Goreomedy said:
Lukas, congrats on taking the "most insufferable fanboy" crown away from the likes of Olimario! Feel free to add this to your list of Halo accomplishments.

haha. The thread title is "most anticipated". Which is a pretty difficult thing to argue, as you can't really gauge it with an objective number.. I guess. Right now it seems like Halo 2 has more hype, but we'll see when GTA:SA gets closer to launch.

As for sales.. Halo 2 has no chance of outselling GTA:SA.

Shompola said:
It's quite obvious that he isn't reirom.

How so? I'm going off of his comments regarding where he got the hardware numbers from and Reirom's gloating of the fake numbers on opa. As if opa was really the source. All the sources that posted (gamefront.de and others) got it from GAF as always. And he claims to not know what OPA is.

So again, Lukas. Clear your name.

sonycowboy said:
Prove it. Provide the link to the hardware numbers you posted. And remember that posters time better be before your intial posts time of 08-17-2004, 01:05 PM.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
When I look at the numbers right now on a global scale and, in particular, in North America, there is no doubt in my mind that the first 24 hours of Halo 2 will be bigger than the first 24 hours of any movie at box office or music CD. They will pale in comparison. Halo 2 will be the biggest 24 hours in entertainment retail history. This is bigger than video games. It’s a pop culture phenomenon. The anticipation for the November 9 launch is huge. Our retail partners will have thousands of stores open at midnight, with hundreds of thousands of copies snatched up right there.
-peter moore

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I dunno, a big difference about Halo 2 and GTA:SA is, you can be super hyped about it, but have no interest at all in buying a copy, because your main interest is playing it multiplayer at a friends. Whereas GTA:SA is a bit different as a single only player game.
Scoff if you will, I think this will have a bit of a bigger impact than one might think.

Mrbob

Vice City is 6.5 million just on PS2 between the original SKU and the double pack sales. San Andreas is going to do 6.5 million units at least over the course of it's lifetime sales. Halo 2 will definately hit at least 4 million (take the current halo sales, and look at the increase in user base). Possibly even 5 million (around Goldeneye) numbers if Microsoft doesn't cut off xbox production when XB2 comes out. But if you think it's going to outsell San Andreas, you're on crack. GTA is in it's own league as far as popularity goes.

Actually, wouldn't this put Halo 2 in a league of its own in popularity if it can stay within one million of SA (5 million versus 6 million) while having a userbase nearly 1/3 the size. :p

PhatSaqs

Banned
dunno, a big difference about Halo 2 and GTA:SA is, you can be super hyped about it, but have no interest at all in buying a copy, because your main interest is playing it multiplayer at a friends. Whereas GTA:SA is a bit different as a single only player game.
That argument works both ways though. You have peeps who want Halo 2 strictly for multiplay/LAN setups, etc. and those who want it strictly for single player.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
PhatSaqs said:
That argument works both ways though. You have peeps who want Halo 2 strictly for multiplay/LAN setups, etc. and those who want it strictly for single player.

Um, your logic isn't working there. The only difference between your statement and mine is you acknowledged people who want just the single player, which I think is pretty obvious.

All I'm saying is in the groups of people looking forward to Halo 2 and GTA:SA, I'd say there is a much higher percentage in the Halo 2 group that have no interest in purchasing the game.

LukeSmith

Mrbob said:
Actually, wouldn't this put Halo 2 in a league of its own in popularity if it can stay within one million of SA (5 million versus 6 million) while having a userbase nearly 1/3 the size. :p

IAWTP

PhatSaqs

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
All I'm saying is in the groups of people looking forward to Halo 2 and GTA:SA, I'd say there is a much higher percentage in the Halo 2 group that have no interest in purchasing the game.
And i'm saying in the groups looking forward to both, there is a percentage of people that will buy multiple copies of Halo that doesnt exist within the group looking forward to GTA. Like I said, it works both ways.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Mrbob said:

Actually, it makes me think: "Why can't Halo sell as many consoles as GTA?" ;)

Mrbob

Haha, you know thats a flawed argument Halo hata!!

Xbox just doesn't have the same amount in sheer number of quality games - both cheap (GH) and new - as PS2.

RevenantKioku

PhatSaqs said:
And i'm saying in the groups looking forward to both, there is a percentage of people that will buy multiple copies of Halo that doesnt exist within the group looking forward to GTA. Like I said, it works both ways.

You didn't mention multi-copy buyers at first, and I didn't consider it. So point taken.

Anyway, Halo sucks. :D

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Mrbob said:

Halo 2 will likely not make the jump from 3.5 million to 5 million units. SA will probably do another ~7 million or so like its predecessors.

In the end, the difference will be more like 4m for H2 to 7m for SA.

Anyway, the simple fact that Rockstar found 6.5 million people to buy their game puts the series squarely "in a league of its own in popularity." Ultimately, ratios don't matter, except to the 'moral victory' types.

Mrbob

We'll see.

I'm still not convinced that ghetto GTA is going to hit the numbers of its predecessors. In the beginning there will be a huge splooge. But I don't think it'll have the long time legs to keep up. I'm guessing 4.5-5 million tops for GTA:SA.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
The 'ghetto' factor will most likely be the reason that it sells even more than its predecessors. This game is in the right place at the right time.

jarrod

Banned
Actually worldwide, hasn't GT3 outsold either PS2 GTA so far? What's the highest selling game on each platform about? I'd guess roughly...

GBA: Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire~ 13,000,000
PS2: Gran Turismo 3: A Spec~ 12,000,000
GC: Super Smash Bros Melee~ 5,000,000
XB: Halo: Combat Evolved~ 4,500,000

Who the fuck cares about sales? Fact of the matter is Halo 2 will be the better game to play, and EVERYONE and their grandma wants a piece of this hot action. Wait for the single player blowout, ladies.

Kon Tiki

Banned
HalfPastNoon said:
Who the fuck cares about sales? Fact of the matter is Halo 2 will be the better game to play, and EVERYONE and their grandma wants a piece of this hot action. Wait for the single player blowout, ladies.

I will admit, I am excited too. I already pre-ordered the PC version.

HalfPastNoon said:

You've played San Andreas?

SolidSnakex said:
You've played San Andreas?

I've played its two predecessors. San Andreas looks like a photochopy regarding gameplay with the same, ugly draw in graphics and fog. It's 2004, not 2001.

HalfPastNoon said:
I've played its two predecessors. San Andreas looks like a photochopy regarding gameplay with the same, ugly draw in graphics and fog. It's 2004, not 2001.

So in other words, no and not only that you haven't kept up with the games info. Thanks.

wazoo

jarrod said:
Actually worldwide, hasn't GT3 outsold either PS2 GTA so far? What's the highest selling game on each platform about? I'd guess roughly...

GBA: Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire~ 13,000,000
PS2: Gran Turismo 3: A Spec~ 12,000,000
GC: Super Smash Bros Melee~ 5,000,000
XB: Halo: Combat Evolved~ 4,500,000

A sequel to Smash Bros would be the greates thing in mainstream gamer ;)

RevenantKioku

HalfPastNoon said:

I work in sales, and get this, sales are good for business.
And I couldn't care less about Halo 2 from a playing standpoint.

RevenantKioku said:
I work in sales, and get this, sales are good for business.
And I couldn't care less about Halo 2 from a playing standpoint.

No shit, eh? Thanks for the business 101 lesson. But in the context of the thread, I was referring to fanboys caring about sales.

jarrod

Banned
mashoutposse said:
GTA doesn't have Japan like GT does, so the GT series has the worldwide lead.
Sure but GT only gets about 1.8M in Japan (while GTA still gets 300-400k, so it's closer to a 1.5M advantage). Europe is where GT really reigns supreme, it likely sells at least 7M in the region (while GTA is probably hitting little over half that). North America is the only region GTA comes out on top.

wazoo

jarrod said:
Sure but GT only gets about 1.8M in Japan (while GTA still gets 300-400k, so it's closer to a 1.5M advantage). Europe is where GT really reigns supreme, it likely sells at least 7M in the region (while GTA is probably hitting little over half that). North America is the only region GTA comes out on top.

You have to live in europe to know how big PES/FIFA and GT. That is one reason ps2 is killing so much the opposition in Europe.

AniHawk

puck1337 said:
It's called Super Mario Bros. 3, and you're about 15 years late. Halo doesn't have Fred Savage.

They're looking to get Ben Savage though. He's not quite as good, but hey- it's something, right?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Lets look at the facts.

It was number 1 most anticipated game of 2004 on the Spike TV Video Game awards beating out popular PS2 games.

Its been number 1 for the last 2 years in EGM for top 10 games I am waiting for.

Its number 1 on console preorders at amazon.com, ebgames.com, and gamestop.com

In the EGM top 10 games of all time on MTV Halo 2 was the number 1 reason 2004 will rock, with games like GT4, MGS3, etc, etc, all coming in behind it, and Halo as the number 2 best game of all time only being beat by the ENTIRE Zelda franchise.

On CNN it was reported to be the most anticipated game of all time. ON actual TV they said this.

On MTVS "10 coolest gadgets of 2004" Halo 2 was actually mentioned as one of the things you "must own in 2004", infact, it was even the only game that was mentioned.

So far no game, not even GTA SA, has managed all of this hype in the mainstream. If all of these things arent an indication that Halo 2 will be one of the biggest selling games of all time then I dont know what is.

Other facts:

01. You still haven't illustrated how Halo 2 would outsell GTA SA
02. You are banned
03. You can try to monitor 'hype' on the internet, but in many cases it doesn't translate to what you'd expect at retail. For all the hype that Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, etc. get they haven't even sold a million units. This doesn't mean Halo 2 is gonna sell less than expected, I think it's going to be massive (like I said, it could hit 5 million at some point). But consider the fact that 99% of the people that buy GTA don't follow internet or industry award trends, and Rockstar doesn't even unveil first videos until two months before the game comes out.

Will Halo 2 be the better game? Sure why not, that's up for each individual gamer to decide, I can understand why a lot of people will like it better than GTA. But as far outselling GTA, there's still no proof it would happen. It will definately outsell GTA in November, because by then two million people will already have bought San Andreas. But this whole argument about it selling more overall is like pushing a rock up a hill. Every sign points towards San Andreas maintaining the momentum and popularity the last two installments had. Unless the game is botched and ends up totally sucking, it's a lock to become the top selling game of the past two generations (ie the 3d era of console gaming), and the first and only time in the past two gens that one franchise had sold 5-6 million units three times in a row. That's totally unprecidented.

Meier

I love how people always ignore the fact that the typical person buying GTA is not someone who posts at a gaming message board. It is as casual a game as you can get -- it's more or less the Mario of the late 80's and early-to-mid 90's. The two games' demographics are entirely different.

GTA owners are not going to bother pre-ordering the game. They're going to walk in and pick it up when they can, and hope there's copies available so that Little Johnny has it in time for Christmas.

This is why! lol

0ship.jpg

BeOnEdge

Banned
i still dont get how you people keep saying oh well vice city sold X amt more than halo when the ps2 userbase is a good 5 times larger than XBOX. halos numbers are pretty damn impressive if you look at in in a ratio.

BeOnEdge said:
i still dont get how you people keep saying oh well vice city sold X amt more than halo when the ps2 userbase is a good 5 times larger than XBOX. halos numbers are pretty damn impressive if you look at in in a ratio.

Like I said earlier, no one will ever argue with anyone that says HALO will have a better sales ratio with the Xbox's hardware. This is more about which will sell more. GTA simply has a bigger userbase to sell to so it's going to sell more. That doesn't at all take away from how impressive HALO and HALO 2's numbers will be. The only ones that'll be disappointed in that are the ones who're expecting it to run right over GTA.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
GTA owners are not going to bother pre-ordering the game. They're going to walk in and pick it up when they can, and hope there's copies available so that Little Johnny has it in time for Christmas.

Exactly. It's more like Madden in the sense that it appeals to millions of people whot do not consider gaming to be their primary hobby. When you look at how GTA has sold compared any franchise since console gaming went to 3D, it's in a league of it's own. The only thing I could see coming close would have been a direct sequel or two to Mario64 being released on the N64.

Think about it, when is the next time you are going to see three installments of a series sell five or six million each in the same generation? GTA has prett much redefined the word "blockbuster" as it applies to videogames.

PhatSaqs

Banned
This applies to both games. Moreso for GTA as it'll most likely sell more, but it still applies.

Top Bottom