• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Halo 2 is the most anticipated video game ever in mainstream gaming

alejob

Lukas said:
A lot more?

Lets look at the numbers for Vice City and Halo

Halo - 4 Million in NA
Vice City - 6.8 Million in NA

Yea thats a lot more. Halo 2 will far eclipse the sales of Halo 1, while GTA SA will remain around the same range, maybe a bit higher than Vice City.
Everyone who owns an Xbox owns Halo.

In order to outsell Halo, everyone that has halo would have to buy Halo 2 and then sell some new consoles. I don't think that will hapen.

Insertia

I'm not seeing nor am I feeling the Halo2 hype. So no, it's no the most anticipated game ever.

Difficult to become hyped over a bunch of multi-player screens that aren't exactly showing anything mind blowing.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I think the best example here would be some upcoming games in the PC market, which have the same exact userbase to sell to.

Which game has had more hype on the internet, Half-Life 2 or The Sims 2? It's pretty obvious Half-Life 2 has, dating back to E3 last year.

Which game is going to sell more? The Sims 2, because at least 80% of it's audience is comprised of people who do not give a shit about industry trade show awards or pixel shader support.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Mooreberg said:
I think the best example here would be some upcoming games in the PC market, which have the same exact userbase to sell to.

Which game has had more hype on the internet, Half-Life 2 or The Sims 2? It's pretty obvious Half-Life 2 has, dating back to E3 last year.

Which game is going to sell more? The Sims 2, because at least 80% of it's audience is comprised of people who do not give a shit about industry trade show awards or pixel shader support.
Somebody displays a modicum of business sense in relation to software development!

You want a job? :D

dorio

Banned
The multiplayer screens aren't generating the hype, Halo 1 is generating the hype.

As far as sales numbers go it's not even fair since GTA:SA will be on the ps2 and the xbox, and besides I thought Killzone was the halo killa.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Mooreberg said:

So how do you explain Halo continuing to sell 100k per month? It's certainly not from internet hype. A game doesnt sell in the millions of copies without having casual appeal. Now if you're arguing which game has more casual appeal, then the award obviously goes to GTA as it has sold more. This is obvious stuff....

Actually. Now i'm really confused as to what your point is :p.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The real Halo 2 PR has barely started, the movie teaser is the only glimpse the real gaming masses have seen of the game (and considering the theatres that was limited to...). The hype wont spread to the masses untill September/October time. Same can be said for SA, people know it exists but virtually nothing else.

Quote:
Lukas
Banned

ahhhhh. I was hoping for a rebuttal. Bye-Bye Reirom.

Why did he get banned? I know he didn't seem too bright and he said idiot once wasn't afraid of the ban stick. Seems like banning are getting awful common.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Making clone accounts is a bannable offence, so is circumventing a ban by creating a new user...

AniHawk

BigGreenMat said:
Why did he get banned? I know he didn't seem too bright and he said idiot once wasn't afraid of the ban stick. Seems like banning are getting awful common.

Because I think he was one of the guys who acts really stupid to be annoying and get on everyone's nerves.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I haven't read any of this thread bar the first couple of posts, so forgive me if these points were already raised:

- some of the stuff you cite can be bought, and i'm sure it was.

- I would say more kiddies have anticipated various incarnations of Pokemon games than people have anticipated Halo 2.

- Dragon Quest?

- Even Zelda? Mario? I remember the Zelda 64 anticipation being insane, I would say equal to Halo2 anticipation if not greater than.

- finally, anticipation is really hard to judge. There are few reliable metrics asides from preorders.

evil ways

GTA SA has a bigger, broader appeal. It's not just held back by a specific genre, unlike Halo who mostly appeals to FPS/multiplayer fans. GTA offers a little bit of everything, action, adventure, racing, flying, RPG, shooter/beat 'em up, you can choose to swim or ride a boat, you can buy property, edit your stats and appearance, interact with other characters, etc.

Both games will be huge and will be the biggest sellers of this gen probably, but GTA SA will separate itself ahead of Halo 2 as far as sales and coverage is concerned. Just wait until all the politicians, and moral or "outraged" black community groups start giving San Andreas free press due to the controversy.

Mooreberg

PhatSaqs said:
So how do you explain Halo continuing to sell 100k per month? It's certainly not from internet hype. A game doesnt sell in the millions of copies without having casual appeal. Now if you're arguing which game has more casual appeal, then the award obviously goes to GTA as it has sold more. This is obvious stuff....

Actually. Now i'm really confused as to what your point is :p.

Half-Life is still on store shelves nearly six years after release (try finding a new copy of SHOGO on store shelves).

My point is that even with 50 "game of the year awards," millions in sales, popular add-ons like Counter-Strike, and still being widely available for purchase, The Sims is still the top selling PC game ever. If you're talking about sales, than you can basically ignore every factor besides the sales. It's a black and white situation based on solid numbers, not a reviewer's opinion, or how much time players dedicated to a particular game (look at how many hours are still logged into CS on the steam website).

Games like Grand Theft Auto and The Sims simply extend to audience of people who wouldn't even regularly call themselves "gamers." You can say the same about Madden, though it would be to a lesser, but more consistent extent.

If the reasoning is too complicated, just look at this way - San Andreas is going to sell at least 6.5 million copies over the course of it's shelf life. Maybe even seven million if they're really adding as much to the game as the previews claim. Can anyone guarantee Halo 2 is gonna sell that much? I don't think so. It will outsell GTA in November for sure (unless initial GTA shipments are really screwed and only 1.5 million people manage to get a copy). But nobody can really say it's gonna top GTA in the long run. I think it has the potential to go just past 5 million in lifetime sales. Even then, it's still not topping GTA in sales, just like Half-Life doesn't top the Sims in sales.

GhaleonEB

alejob said:
Everyone who owns an Xbox owns Halo.

In order to outsell Halo, everyone that has halo would have to buy Halo 2 and then sell some new consoles. I don't think that will hapen.

There are 4 million copies of Halo sold in NA, and about 9 million XBoxes. Not exaclty 'everyone'.

I think people are really discounting how widespread the popularity of multiplayer Halo really is. There are national tournaments going on every few weeks, one of which had a top prize of $25,000. People want GTA for the great single player experience. People want Halo 2 for the great single-player and multiplayer. There are some who want it for one or the other, and others who want it for both, but the pull is much wider than for a single-player only game.

I believe Halo 2 will move over 4 million copies in 2004.

Mrbob

GTA SA has a bigger, broader appeal. It's not just held back by a specific genre, unlike Halo who mostly appeals to FPS/multiplayer fans.

Go find me the average sales of all the other next gen console FPS games that are not Halo, and come back and tell me that Halo only appeals to FPS fans. Fact of the matter is Halo already appeals way beyond the FPS fanbase, otherwise it wouldn't have moved 3.5 million copies and still averaging another 100K per month at 30 bucks. It'll get another boost at 20. Hey, how is Vice City still doing on a monthly basis as a GH title? :p

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Uh... Halo is still playing catch-up to Vice City. I don't really see your point, MrBob. Unless you too are trotting out the fuzzy "Halo is more successful because of limited userbase" logic.

Where's the proof that GTA3 and Vice City after it, haven't been instrumental in selling so many PS2's?

Code_Link

gofreak said:
I remember the Zelda 64 anticipation being insane, I would say equal to Halo2 anticipation if not greater than.

Zelda 64's anticipation was certainly bigger than Halo's. :) And the N64 had a bigger user base. Didn't it end up with less than 4 million copies?

Mrbob

Goreomedy said:
Uh... Halo is still playing catch-up to Vice City. I don't really see your point, MrBob. Unless you too are trotting out the fuzzy "Halo is more successful because of limited userbase" logic.

Where's the proof that GTA3 and Vice City after it, haven't been instrumental in selling so many PS2's?

Yeah, it won't catch Vice City. All I'm saying is Halo definitely appeals beyond the normal FPS crowd otherwise it wouldn't be selling as well as it has. Before everything is said and done, Halo will end up over 5 million though. Perhaps 6 million+. Maybe more if the drop to 20 gives it a bigger boost.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Hey, how is Vice City still doing on a monthly basis as a GH title? :p
I think Vice City moves around 30-50k each month, though the MSRP is $29.99 still. That's the PS2 version alone though, not counting PC sales or the PS2/XBox DPs.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You know... I *STILL* don't get the big deal with Halo... I think every copy I've played of it must've been a defect... I'm not much for FPS games, but I've played a lot better, this game is pretty generic, I guess it was just better than every other game that came out on Xbox... The backlash for Halo 2 is gonna be bigger than Fable...

P90

Halo is the Brittany Spears of gaming. Next thing we know Master Chief will be on the cover of Rolling Stone without a top. Next is ... Halo is THAT big. Feel the anticipation. Pardon the sarcasm, but yeeesh, Halo is not THAT good or THAT important. Add up three years of Madden and it stomps on Halo's sell through. Face it, Madden>>>>>>Halo.

Sai

djtiesto said:
I guess it was just better than every other game that came out on Xbox...
It's not that simple. Lots of people claim that HALO has done so well simply because it's been riding on hype... A title can only do that for so long, usually a few months after it's release. It's been 3 years almost, and it's still praised quite highly despite it's flaws.

The backlash for Halo 2 is gonna be bigger than Fable...
Not true, for so many different reasons.

djtiesto said:
You know... I *STILL* don't get the big deal with Halo... I think every copy I've played of it must've been a defect... I'm not much for FPS games, but I've played a lot better, this game is pretty generic, I guess it was just better than every other game that came out on Xbox... The backlash for Halo 2 is gonna be bigger than Fable...

It's heresy just about anywhere to knock Halo, but like you I just didn't feel it. I got the Xbox specifically for Halo, Morrowind, & Ghost Recon. It was pretty by the numbers with some awesome graphics for a console. I didn't get to play multiplayer, which I'm sure was a big part of the draw, but I'd bet that well over half of Halo owners have never played the multiplayer aspect either. I understand that many of you LOVE this game, but just as many, if not more, people love Ratchet & Clank, Metal Gear, Zelda, Super Smash Bros, or Gran Turismo.

But, people were told they HAVE to get this game. Every Xbox owner HAS to get this game.

The Halo 2 trailer was cool and all last year, but the levels that people are hyping it up are way beyond any reason whatsoever. To me, Xbox is inextricably linked to Halo and any and all fans of the Xbox feel compelled to trumpet this game's approach.

All that being said, because of the fervent and unyielding pumping of this game, it will be one of the most successful game launches of all time, and as I said in another thread, I fully expect it to reach ~ 3 million units sold by the end of this year in the US alone.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i dont own halo. when i did play halo it was for multi only. in fact when i buy halo 2, i doubt i'll even see the single player game. In splinter cell, i NEVER entered the single player mode. i dont even know what the 1st stage looks like!!! LOLOLOL.

M3wThr33

Banned
That's the other thing about Halo 2 is that basically it's been like a delayed launch title. Unless you get it within the first week, you suck. I predict MASSIVE sales drops for Halo 2 after the first month. Reservations have been going so long that I think everyone who is interested has already reserved it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
djtiesto said:
Do you have to come and say this in every Halo / Halo 2 thread on GAF ? We have all understood that you (yes YOU) did not like that the game. Too bad for you, I guess there are a few millions people out there who actually think it was a good or even a great game.
As for backlash, I'll do it Nelson's style : Ha ha !

Subitai

Yeah, I think it is too much to say Halo 2 will sell more than GTA: SA even just in the US.

If I were MS, I'd try and sell a $99 XBL bundle and advertise the hell out of it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SolidSnakex said:
You do realise that GTA3 and GTAVC are the 2 biggest selling games this gen, right? Both have outsold MGS2 and GT3 by atleast 2 million units.

How about the 13 million copies of pokemon sold this gen?

jarrod

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
How about the 13 million copies of pokemon sold this gen?
Both Pokemon RuSa and GT3 have outsold GTA3 and Vice City by a good margin. Neither GTA has even hit Mario 64 or FFVII sales yet, though it's amazing that their success comes mainly from the USA.

SantaC

hanaukyo_maids.jpg

Mooreberg

PhatSaqs said:
I think Halo will go down as the most hated on critically acclaimed/highly rated/system selling game in history.

You can say the same thing about Gran Turismo, GTA, etc.

For however much people hype up a particular game, there's an equally large backlash. NPD doesn't count the number of people who don't buy a game though, so at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Mooreberg said:
You can say the same thing about Gran Turismo, GTA, etc.
Certainly not here at GA. If that GTA thread were a Halo thread, i'd put money on it being derailed with negativity 15-20 posts in.

Mooreberg

PhatSaqs said:
Certainly not here at GA. If that GTA thread were a Halo thread, i'd put money on it being derailed with negativity 15-20 posts in.

And I'm sure there are threads at TXB about how much Gran Turismo 4 will suck. What is your point?

PhatSaqs said:

Please. Halo is THE sacred cow among video games now.

impirius

"Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario"

MarioBros3.jpg

Call me back when a preview of Halo 2 fuels ticket sales for a feature film.

SantaC

impirius said:
"Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario"

MarioBros3.jpg

Call me back when a preview of Halo 2 fuels ticket sales for a feature film.

Oh I remember that commercial. It rocked :D

Flatbread

im a huge jason jones fan from myth to halo, but some of you are going to be let down big time if you think h2 has any chance of outselling GTA.

I think gta will sell twice as much as halo, this year and lifetime.

Just be happy its going to sell very well.

predictions for 2004

gta 4 million
halo 2 million

one guy said halo 2 will sell 4 million this year. lmao

Top Bottom