• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the PS5?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Okay, we're
Fantastic_Four_logo.svg
years into the 9th generation and no price cuts?

By this time in the PS2's life-cycle , the price of a new unit at retail was cut to $149.99 !

What gives?

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
BoM (bill of materials) has barely decreased since the console's launch due to various factors, including the weak yen (most important component suppliers are paid in USD). Costs associated with the logistics chain have increased after COVID as well. It's an inflationary economy (i.e., $500 in 2020 is worth $606 today), among of multitude of other factors...

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Imagine how many more people would buy them at a cheaper cost.

448939862_18438836998018496_168235196086871068_n.jpg
False equivalence - this same Taco box was $5 less than two years ago.

Which kind of hits on another of my answers. In the last 4 years inflation in the US has been between 5-8% annually. When you take that into consideration, the fact that it's still the same MSRP means it's basically been getting an annual price cut. Most other markets weren't as lucky, and saw the MSRP actually go up.

Codes 208

why price cut when they increase the price?
(Specifically when they dropped the new ps5 digital for $50 more than the original)

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Times are different. There is less pressure because other companies arent cutting their prices..they are all preserving the launch price, and it's not negatively impacting sales. So they have no reason to do it at this juncture..

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sony seem to prefer seasonal limited time discounts, to boost sales strategically at the moment. The time for a full discount will probably come in time for GTA VI I think.

Tommi84

Imagine how many more people would buy them at a cheaper cost.
The console sells GANGBUSTERS at full price. There's ZERO REASON for a price cut.

You do price cut mainly because:
- device is not selling
- you want to sell more than the competition
- you are dropping the production of this product and going for another version.

Neither of these are applicable for PS5

willothedog

They would probably have to take a loss if they reduced the price since component prices are not dropping and a die shrink is not possible if I recall.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The best time for a permanent price cut is AFTER GTA6 not before. Cutting before is leaving billions on the table, especially with consumers (late adopters) who are going to be the least engaged on PS5.

Sony is going to keep selling to PS4 users who can't play EA FC this year or CoD next year, let alone GTA6.

The PS5 is also likely to be sold at a profit, which means Sony would rather sell you a PS5 Pro than a PS5, which is still sold at a loss.

miklonus

"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the PS5?"
There hasn't? I saw them with my own eyes at Target.

"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the Switch?"
"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the Nvidia GPU's?"
"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the Porsche 911?"
"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the iPhone 15 Pro Max?"

There aren't price cuts for things which are selling well at the current pricing. It's not rocket science, it's just capitalism

Generic

The console sells GANGBUSTERS at full price. There's ZERO REASON for a price cut.

You do price cut mainly because:
- device is not selling
- you want to sell more than the competition
- you are dropping the production of this product and going for another version.

Neither of these are applicable for PS5
The PS2 sold like water in desert and it got multiple price cuts.

graywolf323

"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the Switch?"
"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the Nvidia GPU's?"
"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the Porsche 911?"
"Why hasn't there been any price cuts for the iPhone 15 Pro Max?"

There aren't price cuts for things which are selling well at the current pricing. It's not rocket science, it's just capitalism
the Switch lacking a price cut is much more egregious honestly, heck they even snuck in a stealth price hike with the OLED model

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PS4 barely had a price cut
I mean you can pick one up for £200 now but the majority of its life it was cut by £100 at most.

Iced Arcade

Consumers are are much more impatient and a "need to have now" era so there isn't a reason for any of these companies to lower prices.

Jesb

The PS4 pro still retails for over $300 or more here. The PS4 sells for $300. They haven’t dropped that much either.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's been discounted loads, just not an official permanent price drop.

I picked my second one up for like 100 pounds, if not more off.

Tech just isn't dropping in price really any more and Sony aren't really making any profit off the hardware.

There are numerous reasons because it's not just an issue with consoles. Weakening currency exchange rates which isna really big one. The Yuan is not what is was. The Dollar, Pound, Euro simply doesn't buy as much. Chinese people earn about 5 times what they did 20 years ago. Could see a drop in assembly if goes to India. Shipping is significantly more expensive and isn't getting better especially now with the situation with Yemen. Your PS5 has to now very likely go all around Africa rather than through the Suez Canal especially if you are in Europe. Finally you don't reduce the price if you are still selling well.

StereoVsn

Like others above said it’s a multitude of factors.

1. MS as competition is almost non existent, at least for the time being.
2. Wafer pricing isn’t going down, they can’t cheaply shrink the current 6nm process so SoC isn’t getting cheaper.
3. Currency conversion rates for ¥ to $ is shit and Sony as a Japanese corporation has to deal with that.
4. Inflation on anything from labor to components to shipping has been significant over last 4 years. It has come down quite a bit but that doesn’t mean prices have dropped. So you are looking at 20-25% price increase for a likely BoM.
5. PS5 is still selling very well so they don’t have to take drastic measures.

I still think they will do a small cut when Pro is out later this year.

Mownoc

They are still not making a profit on hardware. They lost money the previous fiscal year on hardware and this fiscal year they are forecasting less losses from hardware but still not profit.

b69cJeN.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom