• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PC Should Become The Home Base for Every HardCore Gamer

coldfoot

Banned
I don't understand your question.
You can power on a console, and launch a game with solely the controller. You will also not be at a competitive disadvantage when playing popular games such as COD or Battlefield with your controller.
A PC cannot provide this, being hunched over a desk is really the only way you'll do good at COD or BF3 on the PC.

Your logic is correct but compare the number of users reporting technical problems in official threads of pc games with the one in official threads of console games here in neogaf..

We could start debating if the effort needed to resolve these kind of problems is just a little annoiance of if it is unbereable but that's subjective.

Almost every single one of these complaints in pc threads is for bad ports approaching console levels of awfulness performance or feature wise.

No 16:10 support, aim acceleration, unusually low framerates on powerful hardware (still 3x higher than on consoles but derp), oh crap these shitter devs have locked the rendering res at 1080p , why can't I turn off the shitty bloom , why won't it let us rebind stuff to this or that key etc etc

All of this stuff is pretty much unacceptable on pc, the answer is not to then go to consoles where all of this stuff is the baseline and you are stuck with it in every damn game.

Three questions:

Why "exclusively"?

Are you suggesting that they're lying about their tastes?

Do you not think there are a bunch of Japanese console-only games or something?

Nah, I should have used the world "smaller" instead of "doujin". Or "Satazius" instead of "Ys" or something.

The reason I brought the series up was to point out that there's a recent surge of existing Japanese PC games that are getting localized (many of which ARE "doujin") and some are misconstruing that as Japanese developers being more active on the platform.

It's just that in these threads people always say "well I play 5 Japanese games a month, none of which are available on PC" as their main criticism with PC gaming, while my experience, and stats would probably back this up, shows that the number of people playing Japanese games isn't as high as reading these threads would suggest.

All I'm saying is people tend to overstate their affinity for Japanese games when arguing against the PC platform.

DrSlek

You can power on a console, and launch a game with solely the controller. You will also not be at a competitive disadvantage when playing popular games such as COD or Battlefield with your controller.
A PC cannot provide this, being hunched over a desk is really the only way you'll do good at COD or BF3 on the PC.

Wait.....I'm not sure I understand you. Are you complaining that you can't use a controller for shooters on PC because you'll get smashed by mouse users?

PC + console(s) of choice is way to go. I appreciate OP's efforts in showing people that there is significantly more to gaming than just owning a console or three. I love my custom built PC (2/2013). Hello Skyrim with so many mods I lost count and Witcher 2 with ubersampling!

If you're familiar with reddit, reddit.com/r/buildapc is invaluable in addition to the support you can find in the thread mentioned by the OP. It's not challenging to build a computer if you do your research.

dazzgc

Banned
PC + console(s) of choice is way to go.

this is how i see it too. i dont think pc should replace all/preferred consoles, but i do think the pc can act as the *main* gaming system. buy the consoles you want the exclusives for, and the pc to play the 80% of games that get pc ports.

coldfoot

Banned
Keyboard on lap, mouse on a hard surface. You're now PC gaming on a couch!

I guess if you have horrible posture this doesn't work, but other people can give solutions for that.

It does not work at all and really cumbersome to use. There are only 2 solutions to that problem, either play it on the desk or use a controller. No one has been able to come up with a comfy and still 100% accurate way of using KB/M without a desk.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Already there OP. This side of the fence is Green. SO GREEN.

Green with the dough I've saved by switching from consoles. I mean, it's ridiculous really. Sad thing is, it's killed console game deals for me. When CAG posts a console game on sale for $30, I cringe. That's not a deal, that's full price! :)

I switched to PC gaming last March and I have been in heaven ever since. I'm not a graphics whore by any stretch, but I love 60fps and the freedom of the platform. Plus, it does other things besides games! Like spreadsheets! :)

Honestly though, I'm super happy. I'll still own another console next gen (well, I own a Wii U but that doesn't count) but I think my feet are pretty grounded on the PC for now. Plus, I can lounge and play with my 360 controller if I want.

It does not work at all and really cumbersome to use. There are only 2 solutions to that problem, either play it on the desk or use a controller. No one has been able to come up with a comfy and still 100% accurate way of using KB/M without a desk.

Just like noone has ever come up with an accurate way of controlling a game with a controller in any situation :eek:

-Amon-

Almost every single one of these complaints in pc threads is for bad ports approaching console levels of awfulness performance or feature wise.

No 16:10 support, aim acceleration, unusually low framerates on powerful hardware (still 3x higher than on consoles but derp), oh crap these shitter devs have locked the rendering res at 1080p , why can't I turn off the shitty bloom , why won't it let us rebind stuff to this or that key etc etc

Well i do not fully agree with that, in the sense that there are problems on games designed for the pc too, but apart from that you should consider that all the ports you're getting you get because of the numbers sold on consoles.

Without them those games would simply not be on the market. So maybe a bad port is better than no game at all.

dazzgc

Banned
...what? I didn't just make that up, that's how I use my PC every day. Hooked up to my TV, keyboard in my lap, mouse on a small hard leather square. It's no different from sitting at a desk. I've never used my PC at a desk in fact.

my 50" kuro is in my bedroom and i game with keyboard in lap and mouse next to me ON A BED SURFACE *shrug* never have any issues with control tbh.

JB1981

Keyboard on lap, mouse on a hard surface. You're now PC gaming on a couch!

I guess if you have horrible posture this doesn't work, but other people can give solutions for that.

Come on, son. There's no such thing as comfy couch mouse n keyboard gaming.

I'll pass. Not many exclusives I'm interested in, and playing games I could get on consoles with the only benefits being better performance is not very appealing to me. No Nintendo games or very many JRPGs that I want.

Hawk269

Not that i agree with the OP, but I don't think I can go back to consoles for my primary means of gaming. 60fps and juicy IQ is too important to me now (especially the former), not to mention all the other known pros.

There are definitely some significant downsides to PC though. For me, the thing I miss most about 360 is the size and structure of the multiplayer community. BF3 is pretty good for PC, but Dark Souls is rather abysmal....

Bingo!

I built a really good gaming rig and played it almost exclusively for 3 months, decided to play some of my PS3/360 games and they looked horrid. Once I got into PC gaming, true 1080p/60fps with no jaggies at all and then going back to PS3/360 games it is pretty jarring. And I am not talking shitty PS3/360 games earthier. It is just the fact that almost every PS3/360 game is 720p with little AA applied and when you got to 1080p which is a considerable jump and then add some AA on top of that, it is just an amazing jump in quality.

RazorK1d

Yeah, but you have to admit...the majority of big name exclusives don't do that at all, and the games that do use the various exclusive motion control methods for each console are mostly shovelware.
There's honestly no reason why Uncharted cannot be on Xbox, and no reason why Gears of War can't be on Playstation.

I completely agree. Outside a very few platform exclusive games, the majority of them can also be experienced the same way elsewhere. This is the major reason I get excited about Nintendo hardware because they are the only traditional console company that seeks to change how we interact with games first and foremost. It's easy to just add more or improve on what's already there (graphics, sound, art, AI, physics, etc) it's another thing entirely to change how we interact with our games. This is what leaves me the strongest impression when done right and gets me excited about gamings future, but that's all off topic.

I perceive your point to be that most games that are exclusive do nothing from a gaming standpoint to prove why they should be and I agree.

coldfoot

Banned
...what? I didn't just make that up, that's how I use my PC every day. Hooked up to my TV, keyboard in my lap, mouse on a small hard leather square. It's no different from sitting at a desk. I've never used my PC at a desk in fact.

Just sit up straight. Your doctor would be pleased.

Why would I want to sit up straight like I do in the office for hours? I want to lean back, even lay down.

I've been doing this since 2010.
Sitting up straight isn't comfy couch. You're either leaning in or you're leaning back. ;p

But hey, if you get it working, more power to you, and goes to show that the PC allows for all kinds of setups.

When will PC games universally and natively support controllers? Until they do, I'm not playing them.
Its not universal, but support is there for almost everything that's also on the console, and more. There are some damn peculiar exceptions though. Battlefield 3's campaign supports controller for everything except the insta-fail QTEs which means you can't really play it that way. Why? I have no fucking clue.

Check out steam where you can filter games by full or partial controller support. 95% of my PC games are controller and thats all I use.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I have a pretty darn good gaming rig, can max just about anything but Metro Last Light (it's better post patch, but damn they favored Nvidia to start with!) and Crysis 3.

Yet, I also play my 360 a lot too.

The right place for a hardcore game is to have all the options if one can afford it.

I see no reason to limit myself to any single choice... as I plan on getting a PS4 and a Xbone.. and happily using all 3.

chixdiggit

I've tried it and it sucks. Putting a keyboard on your lap is ridiculous

Works great for me as I do it all the time.
Still, nothing beats monitor and chair even if it's with a controller. I would bet a lot of console players would be pretty surprised at how good a 360/PS3 looks on a high quality monitor compared to your standard 50" plasma/LCD while sitting at a distance.

Jonnyram

It irks me that PC has become synonymous with Windows.
Apple now has, what, a 10% market share?
Would you say a Mac could become a "home base for hardcore gamers"?

dummydecoy

If Nvidia/ATI had lifecycles on their products instead of releasing new shit every 6 months like those damn smartphones I'd be interested in PC gaming again. Can't keep up with the dick waving contests.

It's just that in these threads people always say "well I play 5 Japanese games a month, none of which are available on PC" as their main criticism with PC gaming, while my experience, and stats would probably back this up, shows that the number of people playing Japanese games isn't as high as reading these threads would suggest.

All I'm saying is people tend to overstate their affinity for Japanese games when arguing against the PC platform.

Number of people playing Japanese games or number of people playing exclusively Japanese games? There's a difference. And if we're talking about the latter, so what if it isn't that high? It's a fair complaint, just as criticizing handhelds for not having enough western games is valid. The amount of people that share that view is irrelevant.

JoV

I loathe the idea of hardcore gamers, but the PC is simply where I spend most of my time because it offers games consoles don't, particularly strategy and sim games.

My current poison is Silent Hunter 3, but really just counting down the hours till Europa Universalis 4 drops....

It would be for me if retail pc games were on par with console games. No way I'm spending anything over $10 on a dd game.

Isn't it the game you want and pay for? I can't seem to understand people who want plastic covers with manuals. If you like touching things and have more tangible stuff get a new hobby - physical covers etc. is not relevant for gaming in any sense at all.

I think the title is causing an otherwise excellent OP to be misinterpreted. It's more about the enthusiast gamer looking to do some DYI to get more out of their hobby. It isn't even suggesting to give up on consoles. Hardcore probably wasn't the best term but who am I kidding. This thread's path was set when the words PC and consoles were both mentioned in the OP.

OP and all other pc gamers in this thread, personally i have begun to realize all dem truths in the first post during last few years and i am planning on building a moderate under $1000 PC sometime in the summer(been a console gamer for the longest time)..

all y'all better reply my queries in the PC thread when i eventually need massive help for building a Gaming rig ;_;

PC is pretty great. Being a guy that works on PCs all day for money I don't have the patience for it as much as is needed to make it a viable primary platform though. Generally I just want to stuff a disc in a drive and go.

nbthedude

It irks me that PC has become synonymous with Windows.
Apple now has, what, a 10% market share?
Would you say a Mac could become a "home base for hardcore gamers"?

Um... even in their own ads Apple reffered to their computers as "Macs" and Windows computers as "PC." This is a pretty common short hand.

Lingitiz

Not sure why everyone thinks its so hard to manage versus putting a disc in the tray. After you're over the initial jump of building, playing games takes little effort over consoles. All you have to do is download on Steam. You don't even have to redeem all those codes and whatnot since Steam automatically does it.

Ha ha ha ha (deep breath) ha ha ha ha.

Jonnyram

Um... even in their own ads Apple reffered to their computers as "Macs" and Windows computers as "PC." This is a pretty common short hand.
Yeah, of course. I know it's common, because Apple pretty much dipped out of the home computer market in the 80s/90s. It's still irksome, because the Mac is factually a PC. It even runs Windows if you want it to.

To the OP - what if someone has zero interest in building a PC, managing settings, configuring stuff, updating drivers, and all of the additional work that goes into owning and using a PC for games? Can they still be a "hardcore gamer?"

I plan on building my first gaming PC this year, because I decided all of that stuff actually sounds pretty awesome. I have always enjoyed hobbies where you get to build and customize something, and where tweaking, optimizing, and regular maintenance are part of the experience. The fact that I can get better performance from all of that (relative to a console) is pretty awesome. The fact that there are fewer and fewer console exclusives (and that trend will likely continue) and that games are often cheaper on PC will probably mean that more of my gaming gets done on a PC once I have one.

But I totally get people that don't want to deal with that stuff and that don't understand how anyone could enjoy it. And a PC can never 100% replace a console experience (and vice versa).

jerry113

Banned
I Would rather just invest in upgrading the PC every 5 years or so than getting a new console. Last console I had was a... gamecube?

Ideally I would get all consoles AND a PC, but hey, I'm not made of money!

^ some people love overclocking and optimizing and stuff, there are whole communities online for that. But it's hardly a necessity. I just built the PC a few years ago, autoinstalled some drivers, installed steam, and that was it. Haven't touched it since except for blowing out some dust every year. Overclocking is only for the hardcore of the hardcore.

As for drivers, Steam even searches for the latest GPU driver FOR you and installs it. A lot has changed since 2003.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
In my mind, it means looking for patches, updates, keeping it virus-free, etc. And making sure everything constantly works connecting it to your HDTV. Worrying about resolutions, fitting. Making sure you have controller settings mapped properly for each game (since would have no desire to play at a desk with a keyboard and mouse). Since I like older games, making sure they get emulated properly and conform to the screen. For mame-like stuff, making sure they play in the cabinet properly. Boot up times. Keeping the OS software current and well as being able to keep legacy OS current. Hard stuff to maintain. I'm having trouble updating flash on my crazy old Mac here.

You know that's all automated now, right? I hit desktop and Windows 8 looks up and applies updates. Steam looks up and applies updates. Windows 8 defender has automated scans scheduled. I'm not the wiser because my PC hits desktop in about 10 seconds after hitting the power button and restarts in about 15 seconds.

Likely, but as I said, I can't even get Flash updated on my Mac right now. I just don't have the knowledge of how PCs work. I am finally using one at work and learning how they work and stuff, though. I definitely feel one belongs in everybody's gaming center, though. And would like to add one.

Chrome auto updates flash. And flash starting about a year ago auto-updates silently. At least in Windows.

USC-fan

Banned
Valve needs to get it shit together push out the steambox.

Soon as I upgrade my projector to 4k I'm building a HTPC/gaming PC. It will be a couple years so hopefully steambox with have made more games on PC support controllers.

Xbone controller looks sexy!

jerry113

Banned
Since you've never owned one, you should look into it and set some cash aside. I'd recommend Vita or 3DS, and getting into stuff like Soul Sacrifice, Fire Emblem, or Shin Megami Tensei 4. I can't imagine someone into PC games not loving games like those, and since its a portable the games are a little cheaper and you can keep them in a drawer instead of reorganizing your entertainment system.

Yeah I edited my post because I did play around with a gamecube for a little while. But I'd love to try a vita/3ds, it'd be convenient for college.

TheD

The Detective
To the OP - what if someone has zero interest in building a PC, managing settings, configuring stuff, updating drivers, and all of the additional work that goes into owning and using a PC for games? Can they still be a "hardcore gamer?"

I plan on building my first gaming PC this year, because I decided all of that stuff actually sounds pretty awesome. I have always enjoyed hobbies where you get to build and customize something, and where tweaking, optimizing, and regular maintenance are part of the experience. The fact that I can get better performance from all of that (relative to a console) is pretty awesome. The fact that there are fewer and fewer console exclusives (and that trend will likely continue) and that games are often cheaper on PC will probably mean that more of my gaming gets done on a PC once I have one.

But I totally get people that don't want to deal with that stuff and that don't understand how anyone could enjoy it. And a PC can never 100% replace a console experience (and vice versa).

If you have an Nvidia graphics card then you can use http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience for both settings and driver updates.

mkenyon

Banned
PC gaming hasnt taken off for the same reason HTPCs are still so shitty.
Which is what?
Valve needs to get it shit together push out the steambox.

Soon as I upgrade my projector to 4k I'm building a HTPC/gaming PC. It will be a couple years so hopefully steambox with have made more games on PC support controllers.

Xbone controller looks sexy!
Build one yourself. With the power draw of modern PCs, you can already do this. At the very least, you can build the platform which will be easily upgraded for 4K resolution with a video card swap.

TMK, there is no 'official' Steambox. It's more of a platform that multiple companies will be producing. Has this changed?
That's a perfect example of why i'm so bored of a certain kind of pc owners around here, thanks for posting.
The analogy is apt, regardless of how it affects you emotionally.
i bought my second gaming pc about 5 years ago. back then, it cost me $1500 AUD (probably less than 900USD fwiw). this pc STILL runs 99% of "console" games in 1080p/60fps on high if not ultra depending on the game. there has been no upgrading of any kind since then. and since day one it has absolutely DEMOLISHED what consoles can output.
Shhhh, you have to play this part down. People are really sensitive about the consumer products they choose to purchase. See above.

With all this talk of keyboard and mouse discomfort, are you guys considering the types of games you play? I should show my setup. If KB+M are necessary, I simply sit at my desk with my cozy chair. If I want to game with a controller, I hook up my HDMI-> TV (takes <30 seconds) and sit in a recliner in front of my TV. It works beautifully; it especially works well considering I can use my desktop for work and general web browsing.

Top Bottom