• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Wii U is perfect for people with families. Slip an hour of gaming in after the kids go to bed when the wife is watching some random drama. Perfect.

Yes, same basic idea as a vita or 3ds, but with a proper console behind it

Congrats on the 2nd DCharlie - much more relaxing than the first where you're worried about everything. Current situation pounds hard though, all the best.

Thank you, sir.

yes, the whole "OMG He's crying?! NOW WHAT?!" and "OMG He's not making any sound?! NOW WHAT?!" during the first week or two won't be happening this time! :D

Back on topic : Wii U MH3U ... dribble.... Man.... Why did i go looking? :/

Effect

So ME3 is back at the store. Used the store credit to buy eShop points instead. A 50 and 20 dollar card. Rather have the money in this form then in GameStop credit, especially since they weren't selling any Amazon gift cards in their gift card rack. Not sure if I should split them between the Wii U and 3DS or dump it all into the Wii U. There are a few 3DS games I want to buy finally but they're low enough that I don't mind just paying out of pocket and leaving the points to take advantage of the digital plan that comes with the deluxe model. However not all of it will be used for a long time. Unless I buy another retail game but I have to be absolutely sure about that as there is no returning it at the last minute like I just did with ME3. Ugh decisions. If only Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, or Dragon Quest X or a full/true RPG was already out. Would buy either of them in a heartbeat.

zroid

Banned
WOW I just noticed how the punctuation/symbol after "Yeah" changes depending on the Mii's emote. o_O

So far aside from the standard "Yeah!", I've seen "Yeah♥", "Yeah!?", and "Yeah..."

This hasn't been there since the beginning, right? I couldn't possibly be that blind.

edit: that's all of them, I think

Poetaster

Banned
So I finally got the post-play survey for the Wii U/Nintendoland, said I was supposed to get 50 coins for doing it....I finish it previous/new balance the same, didn't get any coins.

Is this normal? :(
Something's up with the site. I did three surveys earlier, my balance didn't increase and the surveys still show up as available.

You know what Miiverse need?

Player-created communities.
Enables you to throw in an icon onto the WaraWara plaza around which your friends and other players part of said community congregate. Throw in some life-chat function and maybe even the ability to "join" parties and enter games and Miiverse will be complete.

Though it would be nice if they could make the Miiverse more interactive, and more than juts a game-centric twitter, by allowing people to "jump in" into live gaming sessions in multi-player supported games. Someone writes a post "I'm stuck at this level!", and another person who owns that game can click the post and chose to help the stuck person out. In the game, the player is alerted of this on-screen, and given an option to accept or reject the person (this function should of course be disableable, and under parental controls).

Daknight

Finally got a Wii U again...third time is the charm damn it!

The first one froze and 'brick', lucky Gamestop had some in a few stores, so could track a store with a few black units. Then came home hype...second didn't even work straight from the box. I am pretty sure most are calling it the Blinking blue light of 'is already dead' -_-

Went BACK to gamestop and exchange it. We tested the third one on the store and it work. Till now is working great.

Also for those curious about it, updating from the version it ships with goes straight to the newest update. Is not a two step update or anything like that (as in updating the first one, then the second). And...the second doest not completly fix the hard locks. Had one after the update when I went into the settings -_-

One quirk I have is...when I set the Wii to download stuff and have the option of 'Turn off after download finishes' there is no way to turn off the Gamepad (since the home button cancels this option and closes 'Download manager'). Really hope they include a firmware update where pressing the Power button simply turns off the Gamepad only (and keeps the 'press any button to activate' mode) while holding it for awhile Turns of the Wii U itself (assuming this can be done that is).

Toying around on Wii mode and how have i only just noticed the gems on the virtual console and with most games being really fairly priced in my eyes.

Ordered a CCPro today to go with the Wii Snes controller which arrived from Club Nintendo today. Can see myself spending even more hours on the Wii U now =D

Woo, first extended time using the WiiU, first hard lock. Youtube app bit me, that's what I get for watching youtube on the WiiU I guess.

I think the most annoying thing is that you have to unplug the damn system to get it to turn off. WTF, Nintendo?

Yes Boss!

I have people from Japan and Germany running around my Nintendo Land park. This is pretty cool.

Yeah,

I was surprised to see folks from europe. Very nice. I love all the integration stuff...even the little cards that pop up at the end of level in Mario.

I'm heading to the store to get a game. I'm trying to decide between Call of Duty for Wii U or Halo 4. Mostly for single-player campaign. I'm leaning towards Halo since I usually just play the single player campaigns. What should I go for? Last CoD I played was Modern Warfare 2.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, looks like I'll be shipping my Wii U Game Pad back to Nintendo and it seems like this time they won't mess up which is good.

Yeah,

I was surprised to see folks from europe. Very nice. I love all the integration stuff...even the little cards that pop up at the end of level in Mario.

I'm heading to the store to get a game. I'm trying to decide between Call of Duty for Wii U or Halo 4. Mostly for single-player campaign. I'm leaning towards Halo since I usually just play the single player campaigns. What should I go for? Last CoD I played was Modern Warfare 2.

Halo 4 for sure then.

Michan

Is there really nothing non-retail to buy on the JP e-shop? I bought a large points card in hope of picking up quite a few games.

Is there really nothing non-retail to buy on the JP e-shop? I bought a large points card in hope of picking up quite a few games.

you may have to wait a few days if not a few weeks

at least check Tuesday maybe these guys are behind in translation. Things like Little Inferno and Trine 2 are a bit more text heavy.

Nano Assault Neo, Puddle should be easier with little text.

that is if they are going over to Japan at all.

Michan

Can't buy stuff in the Wii U eShop with "points" anyway.

I bought a 3DS ¥ card, which was sitting next to software.

you may have to wait a few days if not a few weeks

at least check Tuesday maybe these guys are behind in translation. Things like Little Inferno and Trine 2 are a bit more text heavy.

Nano Assault Neo, Puddle should be easier with little text.

that is if they are going over to Japan at all.
Thanks, will check back. Right now all we have is YouTube and Nico Nico Douga...

By the way, my NNID is eddz.w - feel free to add me as I need some friends in my plaza!

Michan

Does anybody know how to switch off the volume of the Wii Remote in games like NSMBU? I'd like to play in quiet!

Edit: never mind, found it in the home menu when returning to the game!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Woo, first extended time using the WiiU, first hard lock. Youtube app bit me, that's what I get for watching youtube on the WiiU I guess.

That's what you get for using the app more like. Just use the browser until Google makes an app that's actually usable.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I erased and redownloaded the Youtube app, but I'm scared to try it out since the old version hardlocked the system. Any Gaffer can confirm if it works now?

thomaser

Apropos this, has there been any talk about Japanese games made for the eshop? I bet Nintendo has a few in the works, like perhaps the board game showed in one of the earliest Wii U videos.

And what about Minecraft? Has anybody said anything about that on Wii U?

I bought a 3DS ¥ card, which was sitting next to software.

Thanks, will check back. Right now all we have is YouTube and Nico Nico Douga...

By the way, my NNID is eddz.w - feel free to add me as I need some friends in my plaza!

added

Apropos this, has there been any talk about Japanese games made for the eshop? I bet Nintendo has a few in the works, like perhaps the board game showed in one of the earliest Wii U videos.

And what about Minecraft? Has anybody said anything about that on Wii U?

MS does not have an exclusive lock on this for consoles? They made a ton of money on XBLA

Effect

How has Tekken been so far? Not a big fighting game fan but willing to actually put in the time to learn, especially with one that seems to be full of content. I know game sales are low at the moment but are there people playing online? Or enough so that ghost battling is possible? Even though it's tag fighting I believe you can do one vs one fights but can you go through the arcade mode like that or will you always be fighting two people even if you just go with a single character?

Thinking of either picking that up (though trying to decide between it and Assassin's Creed 3. What do you think is the better buy for longevity?) and then Trine 2 with the eShop cards I now have then just grab Crashmo next pay day instead of using some of the money on the 3DS eShop.

AC3 question and possible spoiler.
Can you continue to play after the story is over? An endgame where you can continue to explore the world?

My 3ds, computer, and phone are all connected to it but the wii u wont even find my router.

A lot of people have Wi-Fi issues plenty of different ways to fix depending on your router but it is frustrating for many here. you can find it talked about at least 10 or so pages back. there is also a thread if you search

How has Tekken been so far? Not a bit fighting game fan but willing to actually put in the time to learn, especially with one that seems to be full of content. I know game sales are low at the moment but are there people playing online? Or enough to so that ghost battling is possible? Even though it's tag fighting I believe you can do one vs one fights but can you go through the arcade mode like that or will you always be fighting two people even if you just go with a single character?

Thinking of either picking that up (though trying to decide between it and Assassin's Creed 3. What do you think is the better buy for longevity?) and then Trine 2 with the eShop cards I now have then just grab Crashmo next pay day instead of using some of the money on the 3DS eShop.

AC3 question and possible spoiler.
Can you continue to play after the story is over? An endgame where you can continue to explore the world?

Tekken is awesome on Wii U and there is always someone waiting to challenge you online. The longest I was in "search" mode was about 1 minute. I have AC3 also, I'm not sure about your question but I would think you could still play it after beating the game.......one of those many missions/side quests games that you could probably go back and complete after the main story is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom