• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Mine turned the console off but the game pad went into tv mode.
It then appeared to go into sleep mode.
Is this right?

weird, this doesn't happen with mine. Pad screen goes completely black with no sleep mode popups

I have to add I keep the power button pressed for a good two seconds though, perhaps that's your issue there

Mine turned the console off but the game pad went into tv mode.
It then appeared to go into sleep mode.
Is this right?
I hold down the Power Button.

Anyway, I never planned on buying anything on the eShop (I haven't even bought anything on 3DS), but I was tempted today. I wasn't in the mood for Nintendo Land, but I knew a game purchase was just a few clicks away. I'm pretty frugal with game purchases; I tend only to buy games I know for a fact that I will enjoy. After much internal debate, I bought Little Inferno.

I thought it was a bit expensive, and I wasn't too sure about the premise and length of the game, but I love it so far.

Kacho

Gold Member
A little slow here, but I just found out you can browse Miivese and your friends list while in game. I'm happy about that. haha

Effect

Tekken is awesome on Wii U and there is always someone waiting to challenge you online. The longest I was in "search" mode was about 1 minute. I have AC3 also, I'm not sure about your question but I would think you could still play it after beating the game.......one of those many missions/side quests games that you could probably go back and complete after the main story is done.

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

Finally got my WiiU and my, it takes quite a long time to set everything in the console (trasnfering Wii stuff, settings, that patch, etc.) but now I'm enjoying Nano Assault and Switch Force. BTW What did anybody know what happened with Lostwinds? I bought it but now it wasn't avalible when I did the transfer.

Damn Wii U is killing me. Watching the street fighter anniversary tournament, UFC on tv, and Mario on the gamepad. I can't deal with this much going on, but I'm doing it anyway.

Volcynika

Played Ninja Gaiden co-op with a friend for about an hour and a half and it was pretty smooth.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut it hardlocked on us both when we quit the lobby. :(

A little slow here, but I just found out you can browse Miivese and your friends list while in game. I'm happy about that. haha
That's how you use screen shots. Whatever is on the tv screen/gamepad when you hit the home button is what will be captured should you want to make a post about it.

Damn Wii U is killing me. Watching the street fighter anniversary tournament, UFC on tv, and Mario on the gamepad. I can't deal with this much going on, but I'm doing it anyway.

Mario's a rough one, you have to pay so much attention that I haven't been able to play it without capitalizing the TV. Scribblenauts and AC3 have been my go to watching TV with the SO games.

Currygan

call me crazy but I'm loving the TV remote function. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, yet I love it

call me crazy but I'm loving the TV remote function. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, yet I love it

I'm hoping they get more serious about it. It's a good idea but it's kinda useless if you have a full HT setup. Could be the best universal remote of all time given enough development resources. Since it has a full computer tethered to it, downloading profiles and macro settings would be a snap.

Lizardus

Few questions:

• How do you take screenshots to post in the miiverse?
  • I noticed that in the F-Zero game for Nintendoland, steering to the left was lot harder that steering to the right. I had to turn the gamepad almost 90 degrees when I wanted to go left. Is this a calibration issue?

Thanks

Few questions:

• How do you take screenshots to post in the miiverse?
  • I noticed that in the F-Zero game for Nintendoland, steering to the left was lot harder that steering to the right. I had to turn the gamepad almost 90 degrees when I wanted to go left. Is this a calibration issue?

Thanks

During gameplay (of most games except during multiplayer in Black Ops 2) hit the home button on the Gamepad and go to Miiverse. The Gamepad takes a screen when you press the home button and then you can post that screen from exactly where you are in-game in that moment to your friends online. It's actually really nice, I just wish you could record and send videos directly to Youtube but I'm sure I'm asking for too much haha....

**F-Zero works fine for me with the steering, so I'm not much help with that issue.

Lizardus

During gameplay (of most games except during multiplayer in Black Ops 2) hit the home button on the Gamepad and go to Miiverse. The Gamepad takes a screen when you press the home button and then you can post that screen from exactly where you are in-game in that moment to your friends online. It's actually really nice, I just wish you could record and send videos directly to Youtube but I'm sure I'm asking for too much haha....

**F-Zero works fine for me with the steering, so I'm not much help with that issue.

Does WiiU save those screenshots anywhere?

Korosenai

Ok, I actually got my wii u to connect to my internet using zamkatos solution from the wii u internet troubles thread, but 30 minutes into the update, it said connection failed and now it wont reconnect.

What a pain.

Edit: just remembered to transfer my stuff from my wii to my wii u as well. Went to get on my wii to transfer stuff to my sd using the transfer application, and now my wii wont even connect to my internet. Fuck.

Currygan

Why not use the browser? It's much better than that crappy app.

I've been using the browser and it's great, very fast. But a dedicated app, if good, could be even better for my likings (although it's all a bit trivial since nothing beats the PC for that)

I'm hoping they get more serious about it. It's a good idea but it's kinda useless if you have a full HT setup. Could be the best universal remote of all time given enough development resources. Since it has a full computer tethered to it, downloading profiles and macro settings would be a snap.

it would be brilliant, indeed. If the pad had better range I'd carry it all around my house, using it for every tv

Richie

Hey fellas! Anyone know where I can purchase eShop cards online? Also...Anyone here has played Armored Edition and can give out impressions? I was a Wii-exclusive owner, and everyone claims Arkham City to be GOTY material, but the framerate mentions make me wary. Some GAFers have told me the issues aren't enough to be a detriment to the game. What can you guys tell me about it? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! (Mario & ZombiU paid for, along with a Deluxe; planning to get Trine 2 on the eShop).

I've been using the browser and it's great, very fast. But a dedicated app, if good, could be even better for my likings (although it's all a bit trivial since nothing beats the PC for that)

it would be brilliant, indeed. If the pad had better range I'd carry it all around my house, using it for every tv

I heard the Youtube app got an update did you see any changes?

edit: yup just clicked and it is updating

zroid

Banned
Any Canadians set region to a us state to avoid taxes? Does it work?

Assuming it's the same as on 3DS, it would mean you have to pay in USD (so can't add funds with Canadian eShop cards), and the US eShop does not accept foreign credit cards.

Your best bet is probably to just set your province to Alberta and pay only 5% tax

Yes Boss!

Man it would kill all those pricey remotes if they updated with software.

As it is, it works perfect for me since all I use is the TV.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Hm, can someone with a UK system change region after a game has already been purchased?
If yes, which region should I change to for the lowest tax?

You can change the region, but you can't access the eShop afterwards unless you make a new NNID for the same region.
Found this out this afternoon when trying to change country to Norway to see if NoE's censorship policy still applied.

RkOwnage

So after a bunch of play time with the WiiU, I decided to review the three launch games I bought with the system. I review games as a hobby, so please don't think I am trying to make some sort of statement for anything, just offering my own opinion of the games and the system itself. It's all for fun, but if you're interested in reading, enjoy!

WiiU Console Review
http://www.ign.com/blogs/rkownage/2012/12/07/wiiu-review

New Super Mario Bros U Review
http://www.ign.com/blogs/rkownage/2012/12/07/new-super-mario-bros-u-review

Nintendo Land Review
http://www.ign.com/blogs/rkownage/2012/12/07/nintendo-land-review

ZombiU Review
http://www.ign.com/blogs/rkownage/2012/12/07/zombiu-review

Enjoy!!

-PXG-

HVfFX.jpeg

All I need is fat ass blunt and I'm set

Korosenai

Finally got everything hooked up. Was a pain but it finally worked out. Now to finish Xenoblade and buy NSMBU tomorrow.

Also, where do i go to exhange nnid's?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Not sure about the "attached to a full computer" bit. I tested it with the wii u console unpugged and the remote function still worked... so, it probably is built into the controller. Though, perhaps it will be able to update the firmware in the future to expand its functionality. One thing I'd likevto see is multiple profiles... so the gamepad can be used to control every tv in your house.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

it has infinite range as the remote works independantly of the console.

zroid

Banned
Another JP guy with a cracked screen. He claims that he only dropped it about a foot onto the floor while he was sitting on the couch and it still managed to break.

I don't believe his lies, but I'm still feeling massively paranoid now

There's one of those drop test videos with the GamePad. It was very well-built. Those people must be really unfortunate.

Anyway, I just finished Little Inferno. It was a little too expensive and a little too short, but I really enjoyed the ride. Sadly, I was utterly let down by the ending. The build-up had me absolutely hooked, but while I suppose the ending had a decent message, it didn't really capitalize on what they built up, in my opinion.

Specifically,
the reason it snows, the somewhat sinister nature of the fireplace and the company involved, and the implied death of your friend. For example, I was totally entranced when I got her letter about wanting to get closer to the flames. I suppose I was just expecting an evil plot by the company.

Marco1

Would any wireless sensor bar work?
There are some cheap ones on eBay but I'm unsure if they are as good as he more expensive ones.
Thanks.

Eusis

Another JP guy with a cracked screen. He claims that he only dropped it about a foot onto the floor while he was sitting on the couch and it still managed to break.
It seems focused on a single point, so I have to wonder if it fell on something specifically and had all that force put at one point, assuming it's as he says of course.

sakipon

It seems focused on a single point, so I have to wonder if it fell on something specifically and had all that force put at one point, assuming it's as he says of course.

Japan has got dangerous floors. Personally I'm not worried about dropping it. The frame seems like it'll protect the screen well. I'm just thinking I may wear the screen with too much stylus use. Happened with one of my old phones. Not with any of my DS' or 3DS' though, so maybe I'm thinking of older or weaker material.

Michan

Would any wireless sensor bar work?
There are some cheap ones on eBay but I'm unsure if they are as good as he more expensive ones.
Thanks.
My random wireless sensor bar works fine. I'm pretty sure that just about any sensor bar will work.

I've just bought Mighty Switchforce, but the download takes ages ( I've got fiberglass so it should not take that long ).

Where can I see how the download is progressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom