• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicH

Can anyone recommend a good case for the GamePad? I'm not really a fan of how easy dust and fingerprints are shown on the plastic. I've seen a few on Amazon, but without any reviews, so I'm not sure which one to get. Any suggestions?

AndTAR

Can anyone recommend a good case for the GamePad? I'm not really a fan of how easy dust and fingerprints are shown on the plastic. I've seen a few on Amazon, but without any reviews, so I'm not sure which one to get. Any suggestions?

I'm seriously considering trading mine for a white one, just for this reason.

Poetaster

Banned
1YTLk.jpg
I ended up picking up the PDP silicone jacket after seeing that the Hori one blocks access to the charging cradle. I like it. Some may dislike the cut outs for the d-pad and buttons but it hasn't been an issue for me. Comes in black, red, blue, or pink.

Chairhome

Picked up some Nintendo points due to the crazy GameStop trade in promotion they have on certain games. Thinking about either sonic or scribblenauts. Both have pretty good reviews, any suggestions? Probably going to pick up trine 2 or another indie game as well.

What's the difference between being Friends on Miiverse and mutually following each other?
Following someone doesn't have any bearing on the game itself. I believe that is the main difference anyway. For example, they won't show up in your friends's list for multiplayer.

zroid

Banned
I ended up picking up the PDP silicone jacket after seeing that the Hori one blocks access to the charging cradle. I like it. Some may dislike the cut outs for the d-pad and buttons but it hasn't been an issue for me. Comes in black, red, blue, or pink.

That looks pretty good. I'd like a chance to test drive it before buying though. :\

Yes Boss!

I fricken' love my Wii U. Had it for exactly one week today.

I just want to feed it games. I'm thinking of getting Black Ops or Zombie do I have a big western third-party release for it.

My only minor gripe is that I can not sleep the Gamepad when playing Mario with a Wiimote, or sleep the screen when using the TV image. Unless I'm missing something.

luffeN

Is it possible that the points you earn will be used on the pre-tax price, so after all is said and done really giving you 10%?

Yep, pre-tax price, but it still sucks when you see for example 9,99 Euros on the eShop and then get points for less, but doesn't really matter in the end.

so I decided to play some of the wii games I've amassed over the past few days and weeks but what do I discover as soon as I open the wii menu, I need a wii mote to even boot the damn thing. what the hell, nintendo. why can't I use the gamepad or the pro controller to play wii games?

gah. really pissed off about this. I've got a wii mote plus on the way, but it's a damn mess to not be able to play wii games on the gamepad or using the pro controller.

I fricken' love my Wii U. Had it for exactly one week today.

I just want to feed it games. I'm thinking of getting Black Ops or Zombie do I have a big western third-party release for it.

My only minor gripe is that I can not sleep the Gamepad when playing Mario with a Wiimote, or sleep the screen when using the TV image. Unless I'm missing something.

Chose to use a wiimote, then press home and controller settings, and turn off the gamepad screen.

Yes Boss!

Chose to use a wiimote, then press home and controller settings, and turn off the gamepad screen.

Wow, cool. I keep forgeting that this system has the perpetual Home menu.

It was cool. Yesterday I was stuck in Mario, hit Home, went to the web and watched a youtube, then plopped right back into the game.

Thraktor

so I decided to play some of the wii games I've amassed over the past few days and weeks but what do I discover as soon as I open the wii menu, I need a wii mote to even boot the damn thing. what the hell, nintendo. why can't I use the gamepad or the pro controller to play wii games?

gah. really pissed off about this. I've got a wii mote plus on the way, but it's a damn mess to not be able to play wii games on the gamepad or using the pro controller.

Wii games are designed for the Wiimote. You might as well be expecting the next XBox to be able to play Kinect games on the regular controller.

Err? Wii games are made with the Wiimote. Why would they work with anything else.

sorry, I didn't word or explain properly.

some games can be played using the wii pro controller, so I naturally assumed the same would be true if you used the wii u pro controller or the gamepad.

for example, the last story ahas controller support, so why can't I use the pro controller to boot the game? why do I need a wii mote to even get boot the wii menu when some games support more than just the wii mote?

I was very careful in buying some wii games that supported a controller and not just the wii note, to find out that I can't even boot them without a wii mote is pretty upsetting. don't get me wrong, I knew games like skyward sword, silent hill shattered memories and others I've bought requite the wii mote, but I didn't want to buy one until after christmas due to wanting to keep those games for the q1 / q2 release drought.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You're talking about the WiiU Pro Controller rather than the Classic Controller Pro right? I haven't actually tested the CCPro controller in the Wii menu but I assume it works just like it does on the Wii.

As for Wii games not functioning with the WiiU's controller, well they were never programmed to.

enewtabie

Got to say I'm loving the Wii U. I stopped playing PS3 and 360 pretty much( some Halo4 )
while I play this everyday. I do wish there was more functionality with accomplishments,but overall this has been a great experience and a great device.
I only have Nintendo Land,SMBU,ZombieU and Nano right now.

Thraktor

sorry, I didn't word or explain properly.

some games can be played using the wii pro controller, so I naturally assumed the same would be true if you used the wii u pro controller or the gamepad.

for example, the last story ahas controller support, so why can't I use the pro controller to boot the game? why do I need a wii mote to even get boot the wii menu when some games support more than just the wii mote?

I was very careful in buying some wii games that supported a controller and not just the wii note, to find out that I can't even boot them without a wii mote is pretty upsetting. don't get me wrong, I knew games like skyward sword, silent hill shattered memories and others I've bought requite the wii mote, but I didn't want to buy one until after christmas due to wanting to keep those games for the q1 / q2 release drought.

It's simply the way Nintendo have gone about Wii BC. By having a "Wii mode" console-within-a-console, you get 100% perfect BC and the full range of VC and Wiiware on the Wii Shop, but to get that you have to trade off things like being able to play Wii games with the Wii U Pro Controller.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So did DCharlie really end up not getting one today?

Nintendo should have postponed Wii U's launch until he was better. A launch without DCharlie is a bad omen.

I did not get a Wii U yesterday, no. First machine launch i've missed since... Megadrive? I guess if we are including computers as well, then probably back to Atari ST.

I stated prior so this wouldn't be seen as just being Mr Trollycakes later on, but got a load of real life stuff going on (work, family, 2nd kid due any minute, wife long term hospitalised whilst pregnant) and as you have to front pay Japanese hospital bills ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) then spunking money on a new console and games that i'm probably not going to be able to play until around March anyways seems like throwing yen into a big empty hole. Same would have applied if this was the Durango/Orbis

So i'll almost certainly get one at some point - but probably not for 4 months or so.

I am neither here nor there on the Wii U - i'd like to give MH3U a try for sure, but not really interested in any of the other games so far. But you know that there's going to be a slew of first party games of note along the line. Plus sounds like it might be nice to miss out on the frustrating teething problems for a change.

krumble

My fucking pad doesn't work anymore. Turned it off yesterday when it started blinking, I wanted to check out something for a sec a bit later and couldn't turn it on anymore. I thought it was just the battery already being too weak, but now I try to charge it and the signal doesn't even light up.
Tips?

If taking the battery out for 30 second s and putting it back doesn't fix it then you'll have to do what I did with mine (return it) I was really upset when mine did this within 2 hours of opening it
2nd unit seems stable and been having a blast

farnham

Banned
but its' the first Nintendo HD console. It feels really different to finally playing those games in proper hidef

what "those games"? i dont think nsmbu and nintendo land profits a lot from better graphics. they would have worked with standard def just fine. nintendo lands charm comes from the utilization of the game pad (luigi mansion and such) not from its shinier graphics. the other games on wiiu are almost all ports.

I did not get a Wii U yesterday, no. First machine launch i've missed since... Megadrive? I guess if we are including computers as well, then probably back to Atari ST.

I stated prior so this wouldn't be seen as just being Mr Trollycakes later on, but got a load of real life stuff going on (work, family, 2nd kid due any minute, wife long term hospitalised whilst pregnant) and as you have to front pay Japanese hospital bills ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) then spunking money on a new console and games that i'm probably not going to be able to play until around March anyways seems like throwing yen into a big empty hole. Same would have applied if this was the Durango/Orbis

So i'll almost certainly get one at some point - but probably not for 4 months or so.

I am neither here nor there on the Wii U - i'd like to give MH3U a try for sure, but not really interested in any of the other games so far. But you know that there's going to be a slew of first party games of note along the line. Plus sounds like it might be nice to miss out on the frustrating teething problems for a change.

Ha, DCharlie. Good to find another remnant of EBore. Congrats for your 2nd and I hope things settle down for you sooner rather than later.

I think you got more reality related stuff going on and you not getting a Wii U is really impacted by that. You don't even sound like you have anything else on your mind with the complications with your wife's pregnancy so it's understandable.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ha, DCharlie. Good to find another remnant of EBore. Congrats for your 2nd and I hope things settle down for you sooner rather than later.

Thanks mate :) yeah, once everything gets back to normal i'll be hopefully getting a bit more Console gaming done than right now. :D

that place you mention isn't dead, just different named. Go search half the name!

I think you got more reality related stuff going on and you not getting a Wii U is really impacted by that. You don't even sound like you have video games really on your mind given the complications with your wife's pregnancy so it's understandable.

yeah, the wife thing has been going on since April, hospital since start of Sept - so i've been playing "single dad" since then. Given the kid is 3 he goes to bed at 8 and i go with him. So given the up at 5:40 each work day to get him ready for school, get food ready for him, then home at 6pm to feed him and then spend time? I don't have time anywhere. I do get saturday nights off though :p

The Vita/3DS/iOS are basically all the gaming i get to do

zroid

Banned
what "those games"? i dont think nsmbu and nintendo land profits a lot from better graphics. they would have worked with standard def just fine. nintendo lands charm comes from the utilization of the game pad (luigi mansion and such) not from its shinier graphics. the other games on wiiu are almost all ports.

I dunno man, Nintendo Land is rather pretty. The level of visual detail in many of those games may not have been adequately serviced in standard def.

Marco1

I really hope that the VC gamecube games will have been upscaled properly.
The thought of rogue squadron 1080p sounds great.
Although imagine if the gamepad screen was the X-wing HUD with R2D2 noises coming from the pad.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

uh, I'm not saying those games cannot be played in standard def, but they definitely look sharper; a clean image is what the Wii lacked and now we got it

Good luck with the new baby! I don't know how you find time for any games as it is.

If taking the battery out for 30 second s and putting it back doesn't fix it then you'll have to do what I did with mine (return it) I was really upset when mine did this within 2 hours of opening it
2nd unit seems stable and been having a blast

yeah, not sure. After it didn't work the whole day, it now magically registers the charging device again. I wonder what's going to happen next time battery runs out, this shit shouldn't be normal in its first week.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good luck with the new baby! I don't know how you find time for any games as it is.

Wii U is perfect for people with families. Slip an hour of gaming in after the kids go to bed when the wife is watching some random drama. Perfect.

Yes, same basic idea as a vita or 3ds, but with a proper console behind it

Congrats on the 2nd DCharlie - much more relaxing than the first where you're worried about everything. Current situation pounds hard though, all the best.

Deku Tree

Ok, I understand that you can't play Wii games with the Wii U pro controller.

But can you play Wii U games with the Wii pro controller?

zroid

Banned
Ok, I understand that you can't play Wii games with the Wii U pro controller.

But can you play Wii U games with the Wii pro controller?

You mean the CCP? I don't think there's any inherent limitation that would prevent games from supporting it. But as far as I know, none do at this time. edit: and apparently some do!

Tekken is a really pretty game... I mean shiny graphics eye-candy... took long enough to download

I still have to learn how to fight this being my first Tekken experience and all

I'm starting to feel like HIPHOPGAMER loving everything
KuGsj.gif

You made the right choice between that and Orochi. Tekken is so insanely deep now, it's the kind of thing where it could be a full time job to truly master it.

If you want some inspiration, watch some episodes of the Korean show Tekken Crash. Those guys are the best in the world:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TekkenCrashS2?feature=watch

_woLf

So I finally got the post-play survey for the Wii U/Nintendoland, said I was supposed to get 50 coins for doing it....I finish it previous/new balance the same, didn't get any coins.

Is this normal? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom