• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope more games take advantage of the gamepad speakers. I have never had a surround sound setup, and certain parts of Nintendo Land through me for a fucking loop with its music and sound effects from both sources.

Like i honestly think i have speakers behind me. Crazy.

and you'll be asleep for 25 hours out of 30

which can be good if you need to rest

I didn't find it boring, it was lacking to the first game and it didn't have the same sense of wonder / enjoyment the first game offered, but it was good in its own right with some amazing combat.

I'm already 30 hours in and I'm not even out of the second area. Must be playing different games or something. Enjoying the game quite a bit. Love the new dungeons.

I rarely say this, but you're playing it wrong if you've spent 30 hours in the first area. there's just not enough content to support you playing for 30 hours unless you're slowly walking around looking at the surroundings for hours at a time.

don't get me wrong, I love the game and will defend it but that play time is grossly exaggerated. grossly exaggerated. see, it's so grossly exaggerated that I'm stuck in a loop.

So WiiU'ers, today I'm on gloriours vacation from work till January the second!!

That will allow me to 100% NSMBU and ( finally) start ZombieU.

Nintendo Christmas is BEST Christmas!

LLShC.gif
I don't see no updates

EDarkness

I rarely say this, but you're playing it wrong if you've spent 30 hours in the first area. there's just not enough content to support you playing for 30 hours unless you're slowly walking around looking at the surroundings for hours at a time.

don't get me wrong, I love the game and will defend it but that play time is grossly exaggerated. grossly exaggerated. see, it's so grossly exaggerated that I'm stuck in a loop.

I'm into the second area and have completed
the arena, two of the three servants of the king
and I'm over 30 hours in. I have avoided reading any FAQs and have spent a good deal of time looking for crystals and such. I have no idea where things are. Unless people are simply rushing through the game, then I can see that, but that's not the case for me. In this situation, simply exploring and hunting for things takes a lot of time so it's very easy to spend hours searching every place.

panda21

i really love the Wii U pro controller.. its like it takes the best bits of the 360 and ps3 to make the ultimate controller.

it has an even better dpad than the ps3 and the symetrical button layout makes it perfect for tekken, which i wouldn't touch on a regular 360 controller.

the sticks and triggers feel more like the 360, except they got rid of the analogue triggers, which if you think about it almost no games actually use. apart from forza i can't think of a single game where the analogue triggers don't just make an on/off button press less precise. bayonetta 2 should be godly for that reason.

the whole feel of the controller is just right as well, it has great battery life and it looks really cool.

i don't get the complaints about the face button placement, i'm sure thats just a case of people being used to the 360/ps3 style and not having given it a chance to adapt.

i can imagine buying multiplatform games on wii u just to be able to use the pro controller.

So WiiU'ers, today I'm on gloriours vacation from work till January the second!!

That will allow me to 100% NSMBU and ( finally) start ZombieU.

Nintendo Christmas is BEST Christmas!
I know that feel. Salary slaves on vacation high five! You're in for quite the treat with ZombiU btw.

i really love the Wii U pro controller.. its like it takes the best bits of the 360 and ps3 to make the ultimate controller.

it has an even better dpad than the ps3 and the symetrical button layout makes it perfect for tekken, which i wouldn't touch on a regular 360 controller.

the sticks and triggers feel more like the 360, except they got rid of the analogue triggers, which if you think about it almost no games actually use. apart from forza i can't think of a single game where the analogue triggers don't just make an on/off button press less precise. bayonetta 2 should be godly for that reason.

the whole feel of the controller is just right as well, it has great battery life and it looks really cool.

i don't get the complaints about the face button placement, i'm sure thats just a case of people being used to the 360/ps3 style and not having given it a chance to adapt.

i can imagine buying multiplatform games on wii u just to be able to use the pro controller.

Yeah, the only thing it's truly missing is analog triggers. Maybe tilt sensors, but those aren't necessary.

Anyway, I feel the same way. The Pro Controller is awesome. Used it with Assassin's Creed 3 and it felt basically like I was playing it on 360 safe for the switched positions of the face buttons and right stick.

Still, it seems like I'm too used to the 360 layout. I sometimes confuse the X and Y buttons :(

Bumhead

Banned
Anyone else gone all digital with their Wii U (other than Smile and Cries) and have any particular experience or observations with it?

I bought my initial batch of launch games at retail but I'm thinking of going digital. I absolutely hate the volume of the console when a disk is in the drive and am really concerned about what that's doing to the system long term. Despite some of the annoyances of Nintendo's account system (or real lack of it, which I'm hoping they'll fix), I quite like the idea of an all digital Wii U as well thanks largely to the conveniece of the GamePad, and given that I only really intend on playing first party and very occassional third party gems like ZombiU and Rayman on this machine, the eShop prices aren't too much of a barrier. Then there's the points program offered with the Deluxe as well.

I'm thinking about it, for sure.

Anyone else gone all digital with their Wii U (other than Smile and Cries) and have any particular experience or observations with it?

I decided to go digital about two weeks into owning the console, loving the convenience, but be prepared to exercise patience.. while dealing with horrendous eShop download times.

beje

Banned
I left my wiiU powered on this mourning on my way to work in the hopes it starts while I'm gone. Hopefully it doesn't start at 5:30 right when I get home.

I hope you deactivated the power saving feature, or else it shuts itself down after one hour of inactivity.

Effect

I considered going full digital on the Wii U (even have a hard drive coming as a christmas gift) but I don't think I'll be going in that direction in the end. File sizes are to big and buying digital PC games is already annoying enough. I'll be using the eShop for pure digital content and only a handful of key retail games. Animal Crossing is a buy for certain if there is another console version and it links up with the 3DS version. I might cave on the digitial version of Monster Hunter if it's priced lower then the deal I'm getting for it from NewEgg or it comes with something special. On the other hand though I can see myself going in that direction more with the 3DS after I finally made my first retail purchase (Harvest Moon). It's just so convenient being have to have multiple games on the hand held and not have to carry around the physical games. Not an issue with a home console as I don't mind putting in the various game disc. If a sales happen I might make exceptions if I don't already have a game I want.

I did end up getting Assassin's Creed 3 this morning after changing my mind late last night. With gift cards and credits for Amazon.com I'm only paying $25 out of my own money. Getting free one day shippiong as well. :) I want an open world styled game. Something that is bright and colorful as well. Which is why I ended up going with AC3 over Batman in the end even though I'm sure Batman will be great and I enoyed playing Arkham Asylum. Any issues I run into won't be so bad since I'm not personally paying full price with my own money. I just hope I can get into some multiplayer after Christmas passes and more people have bought games.

I just hope in the future we do get more games like AC3 and the sales for that game make Ubisoft happey. I'd be extremely happy with we got the next Elder's Scroll or Fallout game as I love those style of games and recently started playing Skyrim on the PC again. Considering finally getting the Hearthfire DLC as I'm a sucker for home building, etc (one of the big reasons I bought the new Harvest Moon).

Edit:

I have decided something though. I'm done with trading in games. If the game collect dust then so be it. The last few times I've done it I've started to regret the decision a few weeks later. That means I'm going to be extra picky about what I get when it comes to full price retail games.

I left my wiiU powered on this mourning on my way to work in the hopes it starts while I'm gone. Hopefully it doesn't start at 5:30 right when I get home.

I was not aware of any auto updates on the Wii U what is this magic?

I don't think it updates itself you have to click stuff

I was not aware of any auto updates on the Wii U what is this magic?

I don't think it updates itself you have to click stuff

The Wii U checks if an update is available and downloads it automatically, even if you don't klick anything. When it's finished can start the update manually or it will start the next time you power the console on.

Bumhead

Banned
I decided to go digital about two weeks into owning the console, loving the convenience, but be prepared to exercise patience.. while dealing with horrendous eShop download times.

Yeah I hear the download speeds aren't great. Saying that though, my download experience on the Wii U hasn't been as bad as it has for some, in terms of patch and demo times other users have reported. Generally though if I set something to download I tend to go and do something else anyway. As long as I can get stuff to download within an afternoon or overnight, it's not something I'm too fussed about.

The console has an always-on bar for system updates in the Download Manager so maybe it starts downloading automatically as soon as it's pushed.

it does. mine did this for the last update... but obviously it has to be on, and you have to have auto power down set to off. once it starts downloading, if you go to the download screen it won't power down until the download is done when you're in that section. otherwise it will background download so long as you are using the system presumably unless you are playing online.

Anyone get those Wii u pro SNES controllers? They sound amazing in theory.

just understand that they don't work like a Wii U Pro controller, but they work as either a classic controller pro or a Wii mote. IE, they work on NSMBU. I'm not sure if there are games that only support the Wii U Pro, but if there are it won't work there.

Other bonus is, of course, that it'll work in Wii mode on your virtual arcade stuff which the Wii U Pro controller won't.

edit: or maybe not. Vook says it doesn't work as a classic. I swear Kotaku said it doesn't work as a Wii U Pro.

edit: http://kotaku.com/5969996/what-happens-when-a-snes-controller-is-eaten-by-a-wii-u-controller yeah. they say Wii U Pro no, classic yes.

just understand that they don't work like a Wii U Pro controller, but they work as either a classic controller pro or a Wii mote. IE, they work on NSMBU. I'm not sure if there are games that only support the Wii U Pro, but if there are it won't work there.

Other bonus is, of course, that it'll work in Wii mode on your virtual arcade stuff which the Wii U Pro controller won't.

Yeah, when I heard it wasn't a proper Pro Controller I was pretty hesitant but the fact that it should work with all the VC stuff is big plus.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

edit: or maybe not. Vook says it doesn't work as a classic. I swear Kotaku said it doesn't work as a Wii U Pro.

edit: http://kotaku.com/5969996/what-happens-when-a-snes-controller-is-eaten-by-a-wii-u-controller yeah. they say Wii U Pro no, classic yes.

There's two modes on the back but it says it offers 'triple functionality' on the box.

Honestly, I couldn't try EVERY combo with the controller because mine died. So I might be wrong. I took mine back and got my $50 so I won't be trying it again. If I'm wrong I'll amend my video.

There's two modes on the back but it says it offers 'triple functionality' on the box.

Honestly, I couldn't try EVERY combo with the controller because mine died. So I might be wrong. I took mine back and got my $50 so I won't be trying it again. If I'm wrong I'll amend my video.

the three modes as I understand are as follows:

wii mote functionality where it works like a wiimote. IE up on the D pad maps to up on the D pad when you hold a wiimote like a remote control.

NSMBU style functionality. IE pressing up on the D pad maps to pressing right on the D pad when you hold a wiimote like a remote control.

Classic controller functionality. Works as if it is a wii classic controller.

Tried the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer last night...could only find one other person playing :(. Not that this was really unexpected or anything. What I played was enjoyable, despite dying rather frequently.

Tried the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer last night...could only find one other person playing :(. Not that this was really unexpected or anything. What I played was enjoyable, despite dying rather frequently.

because it's one of my disc games it has not seen any action since the first few days I plan to go back and move the story forward someday :)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I won't be able to download NTVii until 2AM tonight (stupid satellite download limits) anyways, so..... Sucks for you guys that it is not up yet! :p

because it's one of my disc games it has not seen any action since the first few days I plan to go back and move the story forward someday :)

Speaking as someone who hasn't played the first two games, I'm enjoying it so far (about 5 hours in). Though I'll admit to falling asleep during the Genesis comic and missed all the decision making points :p.

If anyone does want to give the multiplayer in this a go, let me know...my NNID is Amishpriest.

My Wii to Wii U data transfer failed. Has anyone else had this happen and been able to fix it?

I followed the steps: downloaded both channels, put the SD card into the Wii U, got the required stuff, moved the SD card to the Wii, watched the animation of the Pikmin loading the rocket and blasting off. Once that was done, I made sure the Wii had been cleaned out, and I transferred the SD card back to the Wii U.

Ran the channel. It checked the Internet. That went fine, then it said it was going to move the data. It fails here every time and gives me the following error:

"An error has occurred. please try again later."

I have tried 6 times across three days. I have checked on-line. And I couldn't figure it out. Didn't hunt too long though. I called Nintendo and was immediately told an Admin would have to look into this.

I have them the info, and I really hope I can get my data back. The shop licenses transferred, just not my data.

Any ideas on what I can do?

I'll probably be getting some eShop money for Christmas, and I want to get a couple games. Is there a general consensus on the best titles? From what I've seen, it looks like Nano Assault and Trine have been received the best.

On a different note, money isn't shared between 3DS and Wii U, right? Just want to make sure.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Okay, but why would I want this? Like, what do I lose from the fact that one port doesn't supply enough power? Longer load times, lag, or will the drive not even work?
Corruption.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
For anyone that stupidly watched G4TV's Attack Of The Show's so-called "review" of the Wii U and needs cleansing, like me, the new Official Nintendo Magazine podcast is up. I always find these quite entertaining, and let's face it, podcasts that don't automatically shit on everything Nintendo are quite a rarity. (Scroll to the bottom of the page for the latest one - #43)

http://medialib.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/podcast/onm_podcast.xml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom