• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

Did a system transfer
My Wii has been collecting dust

kBHlg.jpg

This controller looks really, really interesting. I might pick one up

Sounds cool how it can seemingly trick things into thinking its a Wiimote too so you can play Mario with it (if I'm reading it right?), that is cool! I will definitely be on the look out for them here in NZ.

linkboy

Sounds cool how it can seemingly trick things into thinking its a Wiimote too so you can play Mario with it (if I'm reading it right?), that is cool! I will definitely be on the look out for them here in NZ.

It's not tricking things into thinking its a Wiimote, its essentially a 3rd party Wiimote (it's got an IR sensor on the top), just in controller form.

Sagitario

Anyone getting a 107-7511 error code when trying to add funds to the eShop?

I can't find any info online, but I am guessing it's because my credit card is international and my NNID is from US.
Is there a workaround like on the 3DS eShop? I remember reading that people in Japan could use their American credit cards on the Wii U eShop.

EDarkness

I can't find any info online, but I am guessing it's because my credit card is international and my NNID is from US.
Is there a workaround like on the 3DS eShop? I remember reading that people in Japan could use their American credit cards on the Wii U eShop.

U.S. store doesn't accept foreign credit cards. I don't know of any workaround, either. Gotta buy eShop cards. :(

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

NOA doesn't want your stinking money.

EDarkness

Oh well :(
I guess I won't be purchasing anything for the time being.

I really wish Amazon would sell cards or codes.

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, same here. No idea why they don't. It's like U.S. Amazon just doesn't sell as much stuff as they used to. But then, there are lots of places that don't have eShop cards.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No. The plug, one of the pins is broken. I even tried to glue it but it wont work. You guys think an electrician could do some kind of join on the cable and put a new plug?

If its the mains plug end, just chop it off with wire cutters and wire a new plug on. Dead easy.

Game do sell a charging thing that is a mains powered base that you can stand a gamepad and wiimotes on to charge. Overpriced but I was looking for a spare charger because the battery life is so bad I need one nearby.

There was a work around for the wii where I could use my Uk debit card on my US Wii.....you needed had to have a brazilian profile and it worked. Don't know if it works on the wii u eshop though.

Sagitario

There was a work around for the wii where I could use my Uk debit card on my US Wii.....you needed had to have a brazilian profile and it worked. Don't know if it works on the wii u eshop though.

"Online features cannot be used because the country settings on Wii U console and the Nintendo Network ID do not match. Check the Wii U System settings to ensure that your country of residence has been selected under country settings. If the country is correct, create a new user on the Wii U and link it to a Nintendo Network ID that is valid in your country of residence"

Doesn't work anymore.

Maximus Cards to the rescue!

EDIT: My bad, seems the e-Shop cards are out of stock. Try Best Buy?

Fixed your links. I will try Best Buy next year, I suppose. The friend who could help me is out of town. Thanks.

Celine

Had the same problem with a corrupted file (Prince of Persia) at 12%. Lost a lot of my data including Smash Bros. Brawl. Wrote a letter to Nintendo they can't help me. But they will give me a compensation for the lost.
De puck!?
There is the risk to lose the save files with the transfer?
I'm playing Skyword Sword at the moment and was thinking to finish it on WiiU since it upscale the output.

Now I'm not so sure anymore.

Jethro

De puck!?
I'm playing Skyword Sword at the moment and was thinking to finish it on WiiU since it upscale the output.

Unfortunately yes. There is a risk and nobody really knows the reasons behind. (mabye certain Third Party Games are to blame?)

nickcv

Had the same problem with a corrupted file (Prince of Persia) at 12%. Lost a lot of my data including Smash Bros. Brawl. Wrote a letter to Nintendo they can't help me. But they will give me a compensation for the lost.

i'm really curious to see what's going to be compensation

BDGAME

1- Create a Canadian Mii
2- change the region of your Wii U to Canada
3- find on Google a generic Canadian zip code
4- Buy on eshop with your international card
5- Be happy

Madouu

My third issue with the Wii U since I bought the console on launch here in Canada (the first two were hardlocks):

I've been playing Twilight Princess yesterday night, then I went to sleep and let my wii u on in wii mode. When I woke up this morning, everything was still fine until I tried to go back to wii u mode. Black screen and then an error message on the tv saying my console files were corrupted.

Pulled the plug since the power button wasn't working for some reason, restarted the console and everything has been working fine, no data lost in TP neither. Just wanted to report this in case this happens to anybody else. I'll be keeping an eye on it if it ever does this again (I hope not).

i'm really curious to see what's going to be compensation

exclusive localized copy of mother 3.

I really want a new single player Wii U game to play, not sure what to get. Thinking of a few games, like Darksiders 2 as I've played the first but haven't played the first Batman yet so I dunno if I should bother with the 2nd right now. I do plan to play the first still at some point lol.

Maybe I'll just get Tekken now, just worried I get bored of fighters really quick these days as I only play single player.

I really want a new Wii U game to play, not sure what to get. Thinking of a few games, like Darksiders 2 as I've played the first but haven't play the first Batman yet so I dunno if I should bother with the 2nd right now. I do plan to play the first still at some point lol.

Maybe I'll just get Tekken now, just worried I get bored of fighters really quick these days as I only play single player.

Need Mario DLC.

I really want a new single player Wii U game to play, not sure what to get. Thinking of a few games, like Darksiders 2 as I've played the first but haven't played the first Batman yet so I dunno if I should bother with the 2nd right now. I do plan to play the first still at some point lol.

Tekken's pretty rad, but it doesn't have a whole lot in the way of single player content. Ghost Mode (battling a stream of AI "players") can suck up a lot of time if you get in to the game though.

panda21

tekken tag 2 is pretty good, it has a cool feature where it downloads 'ghosts' of other peoples fighters when you connect to online, and then you can play in a kind of endless ghost battle singleplayer mode. its strangely addictive. i haven't touched the actual online yet.

darksiders has some framerate problems but also fixes a lot of the problems i had with the original, but its still missing something compared to zelda (no charm i guess..)

sonic racers is ok, probably not worth full price but it gets quite challenging and seems to have a decent amount of content.

zombiu is still by far my favourite though.

I've played ZombiU and that was cool, forgot about Sonic..... I would actually really like that I just feel silly paying full price for it when the other console ones are around cheaply. I'll wait for Wii U one to get cheaper prolly.

Ninja Gaiden isn't out here yet or else I'd get that, seems like my kind of game.

Hmm.

I've never played Mass Effect before either, not sure I'd like it, has never appealed to me before.

I want Tekken, just again not sure its worth full price for what I'll get out of it. The Nintendo additions do look really cool though, confirmed I would get the Wii U version for sure if I ended up getting it lol.

Pineconn

Hey CoD heads. The patch for Black Ops II is now live! Downloading it now; hopefully it fixes the Wiimote controls. :)

Update: file size is 106 MB.

I've played ZombiU and that was cool, forgot about Sonic..... I would actually really like that I just feel silly paying full price for it when the other console ones are around cheaply. I'll wait for Wii U one to get cheaper prolly.

Ninja Gaiden isn't out here yet or else I'd get that, seems like my kind of game.

Hmm.

I've never played Mass Effect before either, not sure I'd like it, has never appealed to me before.

I want Tekken, just again not sure its worth full price for what I'll get out of it. The Nintendo additions do look really cool though, confirmed I would get the Wii U version for sure if I ended up getting it lol.

What about trying batman? It's pretty solid from what I've played.

panda21

Hmm.

don't know if you're in the UK but tekken and sonic racing were both pretty cheap (around £30) on amazon.co.uk last time i looked. they are full price in retail stores though.

What about trying batman? It's pretty solid from what I've played.

I haven't played the first one, I have it on 360 but never played more than an hour (not because I didn't like it, just, backlog etc >_<).

Do you think I'd like the 2nd more having play the first or doesn't really matter?

don't know if you're in the UK but tekken and sonic racing were both pretty cheap (around £30) on amazon.co.uk last time i looked. they are full price in retail stores though.

Nar New Zealand here, Amazon UK is dumb and wont send games to me. :( I do keep an eye on the cheap deals thread all the time looking for stuff I can use though.

krumble

Does Nintendo have a UK equivalent of their official replacement parts website? For example, for US/Canada customers, they can order what you're looking for here: http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=69709&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

Nintendo Europe....

info: Welcome to Ask Mii. A representative will be with you shortly.
info: You are now connected with Rosie
You: hi
Rosie: Hi, you are speaking to Rosie. How may I help you today?
You: can you advise if it is possible to buy an additional wii u gamepad ac adapter?
Rosie: Yes it is possible to purchases these accessories. We don't sell these directly however they can be purchased through retailers.
You: they are not available through retailers
You: it is a replacement ac adapter
You: no retailer has these
You: nintendo USA have them through their spares site
You: but no where else retail has them in the world
Rosie: Retailers such as Amazon sell them as well as high street retailers
You: i can assure you that they are NOT available through any retailer worldwide
Rosie: However If you received a faulty charger out of the box you can send it in under the warrantee.
You: my charger is not faulty
You: I would like to an additional one so that I can charge in more than one place in the house
Rosie: We dont sell them directly, however they are defiantly available to purchase from retailers. We will start selling them in the near future but not until the new year.
You: if you could direct me to a retailer that sells them it would be much appreciated as I have been to every retailer that stocks Wii U and only items similar to this are 3rd party ones released in fe
You: february 2013
Rosie: Im sorry we don't hold details of all Nintendo stockist's and what is available.
Rosie: The only update I have is that we will start selling them in the new year.
You: ok thanks for your help, I guess I'm stuck until next year
You: have a good xmas

User Tron

Question: My AC adapter for the pad is connected 24/7. If I don't use the pad for one day, the adapter does not charge (Checked with my voltmeter). I have to disconnect it for about 10 seconds, plug it in again and then it works as nothing has happened. Strange. Anyone else having this problem?

U.S. store doesn't accept foreign credit cards. I don't know of any workaround, either. Gotta buy eShop cards. :(

Set Canada as your store (and NNID I guess).

Works for me. Same trick as on the 3DS.

Nohar

... I want to be interested in this console, but overall it seems that it doesn't offer enough games to make me want to buy it. The line-up is... Fine, I guess, but most games are ports, and there are no Nintendo game which interest me (the New Super Mario Bros U seems nice, but I'm expecting a 3D Mario game, not a 2D one). No Zelda announced (though one is in the works, hopefully), no 3D Mario, no Metroid, no F-Zero, no Super Smash Bros... Nothing. Well, at least, we know that Bayonetta 2 is being developped, so that's good news. Also, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will certainly boost the sales, but I'm not convinced that I should buy the WiiU only for this game, and leave the console covered in dust until something interesting is finally released. Actually, if it weren't for the online multiplayer of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I wouldn't even think of buying the console.

Furthermore, the console is quite expensive, and I really don't like where they positionned the analogic sticks, on both the WiiU Game Pad and Wii U Pro Controller (though, in the case of the Pro Controller, the XYAB buttons too bother me - why didn't they keep the Wii Classic Controller disposition ? It wasn't ideal, but the ergonomy seems much better than the Wii U's).

Also, the incredibly slow OS (thank you japanese Bayonetta for your video on the subject) and some crashs of the console that I read about here and there (and in this very thread) makes me wary...

Wait and see I guess.

... I want to be interested in this console, but overall it seems that it doesn't offer enough games to make me want to buy it. The line-up is... Fine, I guess, but most games are ports, and there are no Nintendo game which interest me (the New Super Mario Bros U seems nice, but I'm expecting a 3D Mario game, not a 2D one). No Zelda announced (though one is in the works, hopefully), no 3D Mario, no Metroid, no F-Zero, no Super Smash Bros... Nothing. Well, at least, we know that Bayonetta 2 is being developped, so that's good news. Also, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will certainly boost the sales, but I'm not convinced that I should buy the WiiU only for this game, and leave the console covered in dust until something interesting is finally released. Actually, if it weren't for the online multiplayer of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I wouldn't even think of buying the console.

Furthermore, the console is quite expensive, and I really don't like where they positionned the analogic sticks, on both the WiiU Game Pad and Wii U Pro Controller (though, in the case of the Pro Controller, the XYAB buttons too bother me - why didn't they keep the Wii Classic Controller disposition ? It wasn't ideal, but the ergonomy seems much better than the Wii U's).

Also, the incredibly slow OS (thank you japanese Bayonetta for your video on the subject) and some crashs of the console that I read about here and there (and in this very thread) makes me wary...

Wait and see I guess.
For what it's worth, the stick placement hasn't been an issue for me at all. Very quick and easy to get used to.

kinggroin

Banned

Wait and see I guess.

Very sensible approach. Something anyone with will power is expected to do with a console launch situation like this.

Of course, that doesn't speak for MY weak ass. Ha.

De puck!?

Just backup all your saves to a SD card (and then your PC if you want) before you do the transfer. Or you should be able to just move the save over to your Wii U with a SD card right away without doing the transfer.

Madouu

For what it's worth, yes the OS is pretty slow but the settings tab showcased in the video you're talking about is by far the slowest to load for me and other users I've seen comment on the subject. Miiverse, browser (which is awesome) and eshop; the main things I expect people will be using, have nowhere near those awful load times for me. I can't comment on TVii since I haven't used it a lot but the initial loading is okay too.

Furthermore, there is an update planned to improve those load times. We shall see if it helps.

If there's something I'd be wary about, it's the hardlocks. Even though it seems to have improved a lot, the console still doesn't seem to be very stable.

I'd say so far that this is a console that fits the needs of families, couples and possibly roommates where one or more people are avid gamers. There's still a lot of fun to be had as a single person but the wii u won't shine as much in that context, not until it has fixed the issues above and added a few games to its library. Much like most consoles at launch to be honest.

Harlock

The Wii U sound volume and others TV/cable box controls works when the HDMI is hooked up to a home theater receiver and this receiver to the TV?

The Giant

Banned
The director of nsmbu has posted a video on miiverse. Shows off how to kill all enemies in the 1st level.

His NNID is NintendoMasarioE or U or J depending on your region

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom