• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to sell my Nintendo Land disc, and download the digital version. I just want to be sure that none of my data will be erased when I boot up the digital copy. Anybody can confirm?

Hari Seldon

Received this console as a gift last night. It does not give a good first impression when I had to spend fucking hours trying to get the god damn patch to download. Took like 7 tries before it went through without an error code. There is going to be a lot of raging kids on Christmas Day.

Raoh

Received this console as a gift last night. It does not give a good first impression when I had to spend fucking hours trying to get the god damn patch to download. Took like 7 tries before it went through without an error code. There is going to be a lot of raging kids on Christmas Day.

Its not mentioned by nintendo but I read, sadly during the patch download, that if you hit cancel to the download, it will download in the background.

I can't confirm this to be true but should be shared info.

Celine

Before the launch I swore I wouldn't buy it at least not at launch.
However today I've seen a Pal Premium Wii U for 299 euro (shipping included) and impulse placed the order :-\

Oh well I'm part of the family now.

Between Nano Asault Neo and Trine 2 what would you suggest?

Mardak

I'm about to sell my Nintendo Land disc, and download the digital version. I just want to be sure that none of my data will be erased when I boot up the digital copy. Anybody can confirm?
Are you selling it used? Where? I also want to get the digital version, and I happen to have an extra deluxe sealed version. I might just end up downloading the game now, sell the sealed deluxe later, and test now if my save data is reused.

I know it must have been asked before in this thread but...
Is there a way to change the Game Icons on Wara Wara Plaza?( or also how do they be changed if they can not be manually selected) Mine have mostly been saying the same games since launch usually. I saw 007 once but then it went away, Same for Uplay.

Are you selling it used? Where? I also want to get the digital version, and I happen to have an extra deluxe sealed version. I might just end up downloading the game now, sell the sealed deluxe later, and test now if my save data is reused.

I am probably gonna sell it used on Kijiji (a free local classified service in Canada). Would greatly appreciate if you can test it out!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Before the launch I swore I wouldn't buy it at least not at launch.
However today I've seen a Pal Premium Wii U for 299 euro (shipping included) and impulse placed the order :-\

Oh well I'm part of the family now.

Between Nano Asault Neo and Trine 2 what would you suggest?
Definitely both.

And you're in for a treat with NL.

Cjkorea

Is it possible to gift Wii games from the virtual shop on a Wii console to a Wii U console?

I got a friend who never plays his Wii anymore and has left over points. Was seeing if it was possible for him to use those points and gift the game to my Wii U since there is a Wii built in.... or something like that. You know what I mean.

I'm thinking of packing up my wii until the new year, there's just nothing left to play that interests me. I wish there was, but nothing is grabbing and keeping my attention as I've either already played it on other consoles or I've finished the ones that did manage to. (zombiu)

I'm torn, I would love to keep it out but with its lack of blu ray or dvd playback, it's ultimately pointless keeping it under the telly over the christmas period. a damn shame in my opinion, I've never before packed away a new console less than a month after purchase. :(

blu

I'm thinking of packing up my wii until the new year, there's just nothing left to play that interests me. I wish there was, but nothing is grabbing and keeping my attention as I've either already played it on other consoles or I've finished the ones that did manage to. (zombiu)

I'm torn, I would love to keep it out but with its lack of blu ray or dvd playback, it's ultimately pointless keeping it under the telly over the christmas period. a damn shame in my opinion, I've never before packed away a new console less than a month after purchase. :(
My ps3 stood unopened in its factory box until a few months later when the GT5 Academy demo came out. You'll survive.

My ps3 stood unopened in its factory box until a few months later when the GT5 Academy demo came out. You'll survive.

interesting, but I don't like buying stuff only to see it end up back in the box. I'm trying my damnedest to keep it out of the box, but there's nothing that's appealing to me. now if ninja gaiden 3 has been released, it would be a different matter...but making us wait until jan makes it feel like nintendo / tecmo are sticking two fingers up at the uk / eu market.

blu

interesting, but I don't like buying stuff only to see it end up back in the box. I'm trying my damnedest to keep it out of the box, but there's nothing that's appealing to me. now if ninja gaiden 3 has been released, it would be a different matter...but making us wait until jan makes it feel like nintendo / tecmo are sticking two fingers up at the uk / eu market.
I too am expecting NG to come out here, but I also have plenty of things that I'm currently playing on the console. If you're hesitant to put the unit back in its box, my advice is to keep an eye on the eShop through January. Though you could do that with the console in the box just as well, so it's up to you to decide how valuable that under-the-tv space is for you ; )

Wait... first person mode? In wara wara? How do you do that?
Not in wara wara - in Nintendoland.

Is it possible to gift Wii games from the virtual shop on a Wii console to a Wii U console?

I got a friend who never plays his Wii anymore and has left over points. Was seeing if it was possible for him to use those points and gift the game to my Wii U since there is a Wii built in.... or something like that. You know what I mean.

I would think this is done by friendcodes on Wii I don't really see why it would not work Wii Mode is still a Wii after all and it has a store

I too am expecting NG to come out here, but I also have plenty of things that I'm currently playing on the console. If you're hesitant to put the unit back in its box, my advice is to keep an eye on the eShop through January. Though you could do that with the console in the box just as well, so it's up to you to decide how valuable that under-the-tv space is for you ; )

I think I'll give it one last shot. I haven't played mighty force yet, is it good? I was tempted by little inferno too, but the short length and inflated price have put me off until it's on sale.

Why would you pack it up? Is it taking up space that something else could be using?

So maybe I missed the thread chatter for this, but apparently Wii U is getting an update later this month to address the horrendous software loading times? I've only seen it on Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/19/next-wii-u-system-update-due-late-december/

Interesting if true I don't remember this being translated by CheeseM last night but I feel asleep during the ND woke up with my macbook screen on that page in the morning so must have missed reading the details. Got to go check that thread

So would NG3 still be fun for someone who sucks at action games in general? I'm thinking I'll Gamefly it next after I'm done with either Mass Effect 3 or AC3.

blu

I think I'll give it one last shot. I haven't played mighty force yet, is it good? I was tempted by little inferno too, but the short length and inflated price have put me off until it's on sale.
Depends - how good are you at split-millisecond 2D action paltforming? I personally loved the 3DS version - it's among my favorite games this passing year (I love platformers - MSF, Mutant Mudds and VVVVVV on the 3DS had me happy throughout 2012 like a pig in mud).

chris3116

That's why you should never buy a console at launch. I never bought any my consoles at launch and I'm always happy.

As for the Bluray/DVD playback, I think now it's becoming very useless on a console to have those things especially when the future is on the streaming. Infact, it was useless since the PS2 days. You could always find a player cheaper than the console. I don't know why the lack of these playbacks could affect people.

So would NG3 still be fun for someone who sucks at action games in general? I'm thinking I'll Gamefly it next after I'm done with either Mass Effect 3 or AC3.

I think so. there should be a easy mode and the combat is as deep or as shallow as you want it to be. you can spam just a few moves for the entire game or you can learn various combos / moves if you feel confident enough.

Depends - how good are you at split-millisecond 2D action paltforming? I personally loved the 3DS version - it's among my favorite games this passing year (I love platformers - MSF, Mutant Mudds and VVVVVV on the 3DS had me happy throughout 2012 like a pig in mud).

average, at best. I wish there was a demo. I really hate buying blind, but I think I'll risk it this time, anything to stop it going back in the box.

thanks for the replies. :)

I suck at most hardcore games but beat it on Hero which is supposed to be the casual setting and it is true it is harder to die in that difficulty setting so you can find fun there but it was still intense as hell to try and not die. Hero = Easy but trust me if you suck at games like I do then it will be a good challenge

blu

YouTube seems to be working in the browser again. :)
For reals! They also fixed the missing attachments to private messages in miiverse today. I guess today was a special day ; )

That's why you should never buy a console at launch. I never bought any my consoles at launch and I'm always happy.

As for the Bluray/DVD playback, I think now it's becoming very useless on a console to have those things especially when the future is on the streaming. Infact, it was useless since the PS2 days. You could always find a player cheaper than the console. I don't know why the lack of these playbacks could affect people.

it's convenience more than anything. having one box that plays back all my blu rays and dvds is better than having two. I know streaming is fast becoming the next big thing, but it doesn't come close offer the same experience as blu ray does in my opinion and there's something satisfying about sitting down and watching a blu ray without having to worry about performance issues from your broadband and other related annoyances.

I'm getting two games that are a lock, can someone help me figure out what for a 3rd?

BLOPS 2/Darksiders 2/NBA2k13?

blops 2. I've had a blast with it. online isn't very populated as you can imagine, but the people who are online are great. I haven't come across any griefers or campers in my few games.

My one and only complaint with the Wii U is the volume of the gamepad. It, like the 3DS and 3DS XL, has just way too low of volume. Outside of earbuds I shove deep in my ears, this thing is just way too low.

Am I alone with this? Can this be fixed outside of plugging the gamepad into a set of speakers to amplify the sound to make it louder?

braves01

Banned
My one and only complaint with the Wii U is the volume of the gamepad. It, like the 3DS and 3DS XL, has just way too low of volume. Outside of earbuds I shove deep in my ears, this thing is just way too low.

Am I alone with this? Can this be fixed outside of plugging the gamepad into a set of speakers to amplify the sound to make it louder?

You could get headphone amps maybe? I don't know how those affect sound quality.

I...totally disagree, and am always surprised how loud it sounds.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom