• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavyOO7

Hmm. So I want to try out the Wii to Wii U transfer thing. All my Wii VC stuff is on my SD card. And I doubt all of it would fit in the Wii internal memory. So what I have to do is get a second SD card, put all the VC titles I possibly can on the internal memory, and start the transfer? And then the rest of the titles that weren't on the internal memory I have to re download them again through the Wii Shop channel, right.

dyergram

I tried to trade zombiu for Nintendo land in GAme they offered me £16 so I told them bollocks and bought it from tesco instead hopefully some chrristmass eve party fun to be had.

tuffy

Hmm. So I want to try out the Wii to Wii U transfer thing. All my Wii VC stuff is on my SD card. And I doubt all of it would fit in the Wii internal memory. So what I have to do is get a second SD card, put all the VC titles I possibly can on the internal memory, and start the transfer? And then the rest of the titles that weren't on the internal memory I have to re download them again through the Wii Shop channel, right.
That's pretty much it. I tried to fill up my Wii's internal memory with games by increasing order of size to minimize the number of download trips to the store.

So how long does it take to update Wii U, 1-2 hours?

I've noticed that if you have nothing else downloading on your network it downloads so much faster. I was downloading my digital game informer on my iPad and as soon as I stopped that download it went like 3x's as fast. Could just be my experience.

jonno394

Gave up on Zombiu after my 6 hour survivor was killed then i died again while going to recover my satchel......started Darksiders 2. Feels different to DS1 but just done the couldron and enjoying it. Looks great on the gamepad, but noticed a lot of tearing on pad vs screen.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Do we know that the CoD: BLOPS2 Wii U patch did?
Didn't the game have an early issue with exiting to WiiU dashboard? Something about people having to shut down the console or somesuch? Speaking from memories of other people's accounts here.

Richie

that would make for easy piracy this is why each HDD is formated and linked to your console so I really doubt you can get it to run on another Wii U

Disappointing but comprehensible...

All eShop purchases are locked to the system they were purchased on.

... Incomprehensible and disappointing. Alas, hoping this last point gets patched some day. Thanks for the help, you two!

If memory serves, we're due for the bi-monthly Nintendo Direct, aren't we?
EDIT: Wait, no. Didn't we have a full fledged ND on December 5th? Must have been my thirst for news speaking.

NateDrake

Didn't the game have an early issue with exiting to WiiU dashboard? Something about people having to shut down the console or somesuch? Speaking from memories of other people's accounts here.

Couldn't exit to the Wii U dashboard from the multiplayer. Still seems to be there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
... Incomprehensible and disappointing. Alas, hoping this last point gets patched some day. Thanks for the help, you two!

It's weird, as an account system is still in place, otherwise the Wii U premium points service wouldn't work. But, for whatever ludicrous reason, your account is also locked to hardware. I'm still confident that at the very least they'll patch in a transfer tool not unlike what the 3DS has, but I doubt we'll ever see true account level software management.

Downloading Tekken Tag Tournament 3...at 5%...

...60 HOURS AND 30 MINUTES REMAINING

It will not take that long. I had files say 9 hours that took 30 minutes its just a wonky system right now.

I have to wait until the holidays are over so I can call my ISP and mess with my DNS so I can see if I can finally get Nintendo TVii working on my system. This damn thing as much as I love it has so many shitty quirks

not being able to load Nintendo TVii was just the last of my patience with this shit.

good thing is I've been able to play my games without lockups which has been fun

It will not take that long. I had files say 9 hours that took 30 minutes its just a wonky system right now.

I have to wait until the holidays are over so I can call my ISP and mess with my DNS so I can see if I can finally get Nintendo TVii working on my system. This damn thing as much as I love it has so many shitty quirks

not being able to load Nintendo TVii was just the last of my patience with this shit.

good thing is I've been able to play my games without lockups which has been fun

Well it's now on 6% and 58 hours 17 mins, so...progress.

JoelFB

Vice President, Frozenbyte
Does anyone know when the patch for Trine 2 comes out in Europe?
It's being tested by Nintendo. Right now the holiday period doesn't help though - we were hoping to get it approved and released by Friday but alas, looks like it has to wait until early January now. (Pretty much the same goes for North America, although we did make one mistake with that build so it might be a couple of days later than Europe - but this isn't exact science so who knows.) Sorry!

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Director's Cut

It's being tested by Nintendo. Right now the holiday period doesn't help though - we were hoping to get it approved and released by Friday but alas, looks like it has to wait until early January now. (Pretty much the same goes for North America, although we did make one mistake with that build so it might be a couple of days later than Europe - but this isn't exact science so who knows.) Sorry!

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Director's Cut

If you're planning on patching again in the future, an option to turn rumble off would be nice. The Wii U gamepads rumble is roughly equally annoying as cell phone vibrate, makes low volume play time kinda rough.

why don't you just turn off rumble in the gamepad settings?

Is there a way to do that from system settings? If there is I haven't seen it. I generally avoid that particular menu regardless. Dog slow to load (by far the worst culprit) and not alter able in game.

Last I checked this particular game doesn't have it in the options menu, though other titles do.

Is there a way to do that from system settings? If there is I haven't seen it. I generally avoid that particular menu regardless. Dog slow to load (by far the worst culprit) and not alter able in game.

Last I checked this particular game doesn't have it in the options menu, though other titles do.

I could be wrong, but I would imagine it's in the Home menu.

Bumhead

Banned
Yeah if there's an option to turn off the rumble completely I'd like to know too. Black Ops 2 rumbles every time you pull the trigger and its infuriating.

Koren

Any PAL Wii U owners tried Wii mode? I've found the colours are dull and the framerate doesn't feel right. It's definitely not like my Wii. I'm using the same cables I used on my Wii too.
I'm a bit surprised to hear this... I only spend 5-6h in Wii mode, playing Rythm Paradise, and was pretty surprised to see that everything were going smoothly. The fact that you can power-up the Wii U and launch the Wii mode with the wiimote and that putting the disc suggest the wii mode were quite nice.

I've noticed that if you have nothing else downloading on your network it downloads so much faster. I was downloading my digital game informer on my iPad and as soon as I stopped that download it went like 3x's as fast. Could just be my experience.
It may be one of the reasons, but definitively not the only one. When I download my firmware, I switched off or unplugged everything in my house, I even disabled DHCP leasings in the router, for no benefit. Still over 5h of downloading. :(

Sagitario

1- Create a Canadian Mii
2- change the region of your Wii U to Canada
3- find on Google a generic Canadian zip code
4- Buy on eshop with your international card
5- Be happy

But my friend list and settings and save files :(

Set Canada as your store (and NNID I guess).

Works for me. Same trick as on the 3DS.

Can you change your NNID country? I don't think you can.
The shop becomes unaccessible if NNID and Wii U countries don't match.

StayDead

Did anyone pick up Warriors' Orochi 3? I'm thinking of picking up the download version after Christmas (got a Japanese Wii U and don't want to wait for shipping) but I'm unsure how it runs. Any opinions for me?

It may be one of the reasons, but definitively not the only one. When I download my firmware, I switched off or unplugged everything in my house, I even disabled DHCP leasings in the router, for no benefit. Still over 5h of downloading. :(

Wow 5 hr. I don't think it's on nintendo servers end, I believe the wiiu has trouble with certain routers or people's networks. It's like when I have my wireless turtle beach head set on, my Apple TV quits working. Just could be interference in general, Tvii didn't work for my brother until he unplugged the sprint cell booster that was hooked up.

you click home button it is on the botton left controller settings you click that and turn rumble off not a big deal for a developer to waste time on when you have 2 clicks to turn it off

Mr. Robot

Don't think so since my console locked while i was trying to quit Blops 2, it added the cursor sensitivity options for wiimote though, which is very nice...

Havent been following the thread really, but have a quick question as I just set up my wiiu. Is anybody else having trouble downloading the system update due to not being able to connect to the server? I'm in Australia btw.

Havent been following the thread really, but have a quick question as I just set up my wiiu. Is anybody else having trouble downloading the system update due to not being able to connect to the server? I'm in Australia btw.
USA here, my update just failed. I shut down the console. Not interested in dealing with this now.

Kokonoe

Banned
Anyone have a list of online multiplayer Wii U games? Thanks.

So far I see

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Trine 2
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Assassin's Creed 3
Ninja Gaiden 3
Mass Effect 3
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Downloading the update seems to work now, but the server still drops out occasionally. At least the system retains the downloaded data every time it happens, so it could be worse.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did anyone pick up Warriors' Orochi 3? I'm thinking of picking up the download version after Christmas (got a Japanese Wii U and don't want to wait for shipping) but I'm unsure how it runs. Any opinions for me?

Among the worst pop-in I've ever seen in a game. The game can be cheap fun but the pop-in is so bad I cannot recommend supporting this port with money.

Kokonoe

Banned
Thanks for the help so far fellows, so far the list is this. I'd like some more info on what type of multiplayer these games have that I haven't added.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (VS)
Trine 2 (Co-Op)(Story)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (Co-Op)(Story)(VS)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (VS)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Co-Op?)(VS)
Assassin's Creed 3 ?
Ninja Gaiden 3 ?
Mass Effect 3 ?
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Co-Op)

Among the worst pop-in I've ever seen in a game. The game can be cheap fun but the pop-in is so bad I cannot recommend supporting this port with money.

What is "pop-in"?

Oh, and this game doesn't support Miiverse screenshots.

Kai

Anyone have a list of online multiplayer Wii U games? Thanks.

So far I see

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Trine 2
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Assassin's Creed 3
Ninja Gaiden 3
Mass Effect 3
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Madden 13
Fifa 13
NBA 2K 13

EatChildren

What is "pop-in"?

In video games assets are ideally only drawn/rendered when they're on the screen. Sometimes games are poorly optimised, or too demanding for hardware, and you get asset pop-in, where objects will appear out of thin air when you're in range of them rendering. Simple and common example: npcs in sandbox games. They only actually render when they're close enough to the player, even if you can see for miles. It's necessary to prevent the framerate tanking.

Warriors 3 has such atrocious pop-in optimisation that enemies will render in and out of existence even in the middle of a fight. You can be right in the thick of a big group and the edges will disappear/appear as you rotate the camera, even if they're still technically on screen and close. You can run towards a mob of X size, only to find them tripple in size when you're in fighting range. I've been trampled by horseback units in their charging animation because the game didn't render them until they were literally one foot in front of me. A battalion of horseback soldiers appearing out of thin air on top of you.

I'm pretty tolerant of framerate and graphical oddities as long as shit still works and is consistent. Warriors 3's pop-in is so bad it actively hurts the game's design. Low standards will tolerate it, but I think the port is horrible and not worth support.

evanmisha

In video games assets are ideally only drawn/rendered when they're on the screen. Sometimes games are poorly optimised, or too demanding for hardware, and you get asset pop-in, where objects will appear out of thin air when you're in range of them rendering. Simple and common example: npcs in sandbox games. They only actually render when they're close enough to the player, even if you can see for miles. It's necessary to prevent the framerate tanking.

Warriors 3 has such atrocious pop-in optimisation that enemies will render in and out of existence even in the middle of a fight. You can be right in the thick of a big group and the edges will disappear/appear as you rotate the camera, even if they're still technically on screen and close. You can run towards a mob of X size, only to find them tripple in size when you're in fighting range. I've been trampled by horseback units in their charging animation because the game didn't render them until they were literally one foot in front of me. A battalion of horseback soldiers appearing out of thin air on top of you.

I'm pretty tolerant of framerate and graphical oddities as long as shit still works and is consistent. Warriors 3's pop-in is so bad it actively hurts the game's design. Low standards will tolerate it, but I think the port is horrible and not worth support.

Hasn't this always been a problem with Musou games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom