• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Question: My AC adapter for the pad is connected 24/7. If I don't use the pad for one day, the adapter does not charge (Checked with my voltmeter). I have to disconnect it for about 10 seconds, plug it in again and then it works as nothing has happened. Strange. Anyone else having this problem?
I also keep the gamepad adapter constantly connected, but I haven't experienced such a behavior yet.

My girlfriend got me a silicon glove from bigben for the gamepad. At first i was happy because i could get rid of the ugly fingerprints but now it doesn't fit in the charging cradle anymore. Sucks...

Madouu

The director of nsmbu has posted a video on miiverse. Shows off how to kill all enemies in the 1st level.

His NNID is NintendoMasarioE or U or J depending on your region

Meanwhile, us lowly peasants can't post videos :(

edit: Just watched the video, I feel like a complete noob at Mario now. Also it's "NintendoMasario" for Japan and "NintendoMasarioA" for the Americas. Thanks for letting us know!

Adr1an

Just managed to order the deluxe set hopefully it gets here before christmas. Thinking of going all digital, but how big are most games (Sonic, NSMBU, Trine 2) Because i remember reading that tekken was like 16GB.

Just got a Wii U yesterday, I have joined the brotherhood! My first impression of this thing is very positive, much better than I expected, thanks to the amazing feeling of playing NSMBU on the gamepad in bed. That wasn't the first thing I did with the system though, that special honor was reserved for making a post in the Funky Barn community. Miiverse seems very cool. Overall I'm loving it so far.

Just got a Wii U yesterday, I have joined the brotherhood! My first impression of this thing is very positive, much better than I expected, thanks to the amazing feeling of playing NSMBU on the gamepad in bed. That wasn't the first thing I did with the system though, that special honor was reserved for making a post in the Funky Barn community. Miiverse seems very cool. Overall I'm loving it so far.

Welcome aboard. :)

NeoRausch

How cool would it be for games with a replay function to integrate one-click youtube uploading and sharing on miiverse for users (like SpaceChem does I think)? I can dream!

mario u allready has replays for the challenge mode. i would be wonderfull to patch a possibilliy to upload them.

The only way I found to block someone is if they send a friend request or already a friend?

Why can't I block annoying people on Miiverse?

And if I replied to one guy and his post is popular I keep getting hits on activity feed this is what is going on with the SONY guy can't undo my reply to stop getting feed from everyone who posted to him lol

linkboy

For my wife's 1 year anniversary at work (AAFES), they gave here a coupon for 20% off the entire purchase and she's going to use it to get a Wii U for me when I get back from my deployment (Go me).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
For my wife's 1 year anniversary at work (AAFES), they gave here a coupon for 20% off the entire purchase and she's going to use it to get a Wii U for me when I get back from my deployment (Go me).
Spoils of war? ; )

Celine

Just backup all your saves to a SD card (and then your PC if you want) before you do the transfer. Or you should be able to just move the save over to your Wii U with a SD card right away without doing the transfer.
I have an external SD Card ( the fridge) on my Wii.
The transfer does it work only for thw stuff in the internal SD card?

If you haven't solved it...it's an annoying fix. I had the same problme...

Copy all of your saves to an SD card...then format.

You'll have to redownload all of your content and copy saves over....but it worked.
Copy them onto a computer? Then format the card and move them back? I can try that.

Effect

Anyone with Call of Duty know what the patch did? Fixed the Wii remote options? Lessen the aim assist dual analog players have?

Richie

Something I just wondered; if one downloads a game to a HDD, could you take it to a friend's Wii U and play the games there?

Something I just wondered; if one downloads a game to a HDD, could you take it to a friend's Wii U and play the games there?

that would make for easy piracy this is why each HDD is formated and linked to your console so I really doubt you can get it to run on another Wii U

kunonabi

Well so I've finished Ninja Gaiden 3, Batman, Zombi U, unlocked all the important stuff in Sonic Racing and spent some time Tekken. I still have mario, nintendo land, warriors orochi 3 to play though.

Zombi and Nintendo Land are easily the two show piece titles. Love Zombi U despite some bad pacing at the end and the awkwardly designed multiplayer menus. Watched a friend play a bit of zombi U after I had beaten it which is an interesting experience. It's almost like watching a whole other game since he hasn't built in the same responses and tactics. It really speaks to how the game builds up the player over the course of the game.

Nintendo Land just oozes polish, content, and is just a freaking blast with a whole group. Challenge and depth for those look for it but still accessible for everyone.

Ninja Gaiden 3 - I'm not a fan of the new Ninja Gaiden series but I actually enjoyed it. I was actually interested in the game back when it was x360/ps3 title but the scathing reviews kept me away. Aside from some camera quirks and targeting quirks I found it to be pretty damn fun and the story didn't really bother me. It wasn't a return to the nes days like I wanted but I enjoyed it anyway. It was interesting to see Team Ninja incorporate some stuff from Other M but those elements were nowhere near as polished as they were there. Looking forward to maxing out the characters and building up my unknown ninja. My biggest beef is having to start from scratch for the higher difficulties. I was planning on giving it a go with Hayabusa's classic outfit which I didn't get to use in story mode at all.

Sonic is frustrating. the core mechanics are great but the fan service is weak and the weapon placement/respawn time needed to be tweaked. You end up with at least one choke point per track where everybody is attacking everyone with items. I don't think it will hold up all that well in multiplayer. You end up having to learn the mechanics and tracks really well to unlock everything which gives me a pretty big edge when playing my gang of friends. To me it seems like the game was designed with single player/online which is kind of counterproductive to banking on sonic's popularity and guest stars to bring the kids in.

I didn't like Arkham Asylum at all but City addressed most of my issues and I dug the new wii u stuff. frame rate isn't really all that obtrusive and I didn't really notice it much after the beginning. Kind of sucks that some cutscenes use your current costume and others use the new armored suit.

I have to admit the machine has changed the way I do things. Being able to just click on to the net when playing a game, watching media on my tv or the gamepad, and even using the gamepad for my studies has been really convenient.

Is the Target special buy 2 get one free the best deal? interested in zombie u batman blops2 any other recommendations? was also thinking ME3 but any info?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

All eShop purchases are locked to the system they were purchased on.

I don't know if its just me, but I popped in Mario Galaxy 2 today on my Wii U and it looked better than ever. I never played Wii games on my LCD because it just looked a lot better on my old projection tv, but I'm noticing little to no jaggies that I remember SMG2 having. I know the Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games, but something definitely making this game look a lot better than I remember.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't know if its just me, but I popped in Mario Galaxy 2 today on my Wii U and it looked better than ever. I never played Wii games on my LCD because it just looked a lot better on my old projection tv, but I'm noticing little to no jaggies that I remember SMG2 having. I know the Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games, but something definitely making this game look a lot better than I remember.

It doesn't up-res (re-render) games like an emulator. Its internal scaler for outputting the image at the TV's resolution seems to be excellent however, and it seems to suffer less color banding / washing out of colors in the process.

The general consensus seems to be playing a Wii game through the U is the best case scenario you're going to have for Wii games on an HDTV. (Besides, of course, hooking a PC with emulator up to your TV.)

AzaK

Any PAL Wii U owners tried Wii mode? I've found the colours are dull and the framerate doesn't feel right. It's definitely not like my Wii. I'm using the same cables I used on my Wii too.

I was also a bit surprised and annoyed there are no console settings for Wii in Wii mode.

Celine

So how long does it take to update Wii U, 1-2 hours?
setup my wii u testerday-today.
update: 1h 15m
download trine 2 and rayman demo: 2h
wii to wiiu transfer: 30m

btw wiiu browser is quite good!

how does it work the memory allocation in wii mode? are we still limited to 500mb with the external sd card as fridge?

Madouu

So I've got my compensation (lost save data via the Wii > Wii U transfer) from Nintendo:

Quick! plug in that usb stick for that exclusive F Zero U demo ;)

Well I guess that's pretty cool, it still sucks to have lost your saves but you get a free pen.

Any PAL Wii U owners tried Wii mode? I've found the colours are dull and the framerate doesn't feel right. It's definitely not like my Wii. I'm using the same cables I used on my Wii too.

I was also a bit surprised and annoyed there are no console settings for Wii in Wii mode.

You have to use a HDMI cable on a PAL Wii U to get better colors and proper upscaling. If you're using component cables then all games are forced to run at 576i 50Hz.

Roo

So I've got my compensation (lost save data via the Wii > Wii U transfer) from Nintendo:

http://i.imgur.com/Aexlh.jpg?1

Sticker (New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl, Animal Crossing)

1Gig USB Stick

Mario Pencil

Mario Mousepad

A Nintendo Pin

I wouldn't call these "compensation".
I mean, what did they say when you told them you lost your save data?
It really sucks tho
When I did my Wii>>Wii U transfer I was literally praying and hoping for the best.
Thank God it went great and now I have all my Wii stuff in my Wii U.
Kinda sad my Wii is an empty shell now :C

Fess

No settings in Wii Mode is surprising, yes, and bad. I had to exit Wii Mode and start Wii U settings just to change the sensorbar sensitivity, which is quite awkward since the Wiimote is mainly used in Wii Mode, and very annoying since the OS is so slow.

No problem with colors or framerate here though, 60fps games looks superb and silky smooth. Not sure about the screen ratio though, tried VC Bonk's Aventure which should be 4:3 320x240, I think, but it looked like something between 4:3 and 16:9, black borders on the sides but not big enough from what I could see. Not sure if it's a WiiU problem or TV or receiver problem.

zroid

Banned
What is the deal with this Rayman Legends demo. Why does it sometimes lock the second and third stages and sometimes not?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
what kind of problem are you having? I didn't run into trouble with the camera.
I haven't played the 360/ps3 batman games.

I just started, climing up buildings and going around 90 degree angles felt incredibly awkward compared to like assasin's creed and uncharted for example.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Someone sent me a link to a youtube video in which a guy says that Ninja Gaiden supports in-game voice chat directly through the Wii U Controller, no headset needed.

Can anyone confirm or disprove that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom