• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will there be an enhanced Xbox Series X^2 next year to compete with the Pro? Or will they just go straight for full next gen?

Seems like they are having one last go at console hardware for next gen, but they need to time it right, too early and Sony will eat them up alive, too late and Sony will steal the market before they can even release, my bet both of them will come to some agreement on when to release the next consoles. Probably get some poorly made handheld before then tho,

Last edited:

hououinkyouma00

Gold Member
Yeah no, they've already said they don't have plans for a refresh though Phil lies through his teeth left and right and with how terrible Xbox marketing has been nothing would surprise me.

The Series S is the problem and it ends there. Xbox has already put itself in a situation where they have to support a much lower powered console, and if they released a Pro competitor they would have to split it 3 ways. It would make the Series S look even worse then it already looks, and would end up gimping Xbox Series Elite or whatever it would be called.

They could try to jumpstart the next generation however which is probably their best bet if they want to make some ground back up. They are already too far back to bother however IMO.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I think its sooner

I think Xbox changed course to prep next gen while Sony was doing this Pro

We could get a very interest release window of both next gen machines being a couple of years apart.

Any sooner and I don't think MS will be able to offer a substantial enough of a performance jump at a reasonable price to earn the "next-gen" labeling.

My guess is Xbox in 2027, PS6 in 2028.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Think it's new gen and I wouldn't be shocked if they tried for 2026 but more likely 2027.
If the rumors about GTA6 being delayed to 2026 are true, that'd be a good time for Microsoft to release a new generation of consoles early to accommodate. Otherwise, the optics will be "the best version of this game runs on the PS5 Pro" if Microsoft doesn't have an answer.

HogIsland

Xbox will be tempted to jump the gun on next-gen pointing to the success of the 360 getting out a year ahead of PS3. But it won't work this time. Instead the next Xbox will be Microsoft's Dreamcast.

Darsxx82

No, and after seeing the characteristics of PS5Pro and its price..... it would make no sense to do it anymore because it would be a total waste of money.

Spending hundreds of millions on the development, manufacturing and logistics of an XSX Pro at $800-$900 just to satisfy 1% of their actual own users..... 🙃

It is clear that they have decided to "save" that money and bet on the strategy of moving away from Sony's times and launching new hardware not subject to the hardware and support obligations of XSeries and, from what it seems, a more open and closer platform to PC than to a console.

jm89

Haven’t heard any leaks about a potential Enhanced Series X, but MSFT has usually not stayed behind.
It's already here bro

fire-tv-stick-4k-max.png

intbal

Xbox will be tempted to jump the gun on next-gen pointing to the success of the 360 getting out a year ahead of PS3.
No, they won't.
The largest shareholders are in charge of Microsoft now.
There won't be another Xbox console.
A windows handheld or a reduced-feature PC with built-in Xbox compatibility is all they're going to make.
Microsoft now considers a succesful Playstation to be a key contributor to their bottom line. The competition is over.

Bernardougf

I think its sooner

I think Xbox changed course to prep next gen while Sony was doing this Pro

We could get a very interest release window of both next gen machines being a couple of years apart.
You think end of 2025 ? Waiting too long would put them dangerously in irrelevance on the hardware market (more than already is) with the Pro is only going to get worst.

And with the ridiculous price of the Pro they have a chance to do something in the premium market, with a real premium console.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I dont want to derail the convo but I don't know why MS would release another Xbox. The Series is not viable. Everyone is buying PlayStation and building up their libraries there, which even Phil has said is a massive advantage. They're porting ALL their games to PlayStation. GamePass is being raised in price. It's really tough to recommend a Xbox to anyone today, what will the situation be like in 2 years?

I do not see it. I think they are leaving the console business and shifting to third party. The idea of that Xbox PC people talk about with an "Xbox mode" is really stupid.

Last edited:

Parazels

If the rumors about GTA6 being delayed to 2026 are true, that'd be a good time for Microsoft to release a new generation of consoles early to accommodate. Otherwise, the optics will be "the best version of this game runs on the PS5 Pro" if Microsoft doesn't have an answer.
You are describing a strategy of a console war, but it looks like Microsoft no longer care about Xbox sales at all.
So they don't need to pay attention on GTA6.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

I mean this was also true for the Xbox One X for a time. Not sure how much pro consoles really alter things. They are basically premium products for a relatively niche market.

NickFire

I dont want to derail the convo but I don't know why MS would release another Xbox. The Series is not viable. Everyone is buying PlayStation and building up their libraries there, which even Phil has said is a massive advantage. They're porting ALL their games to PlayStation. GamePass is being raised in price. It's really tough to recommend a Xbox to anyone today, what will the situation be like in 2 years?

I do not see it. I think they are leaving the console business and shifting to third party.
3 reasons off the top of my head. 1) The existing eco-system is too expensive to maintain without bringing in revenue; 2) The existing eco-system and good will is too valuable to just walk away from; 3) If Sony became the only console that plays graphical intensive games, then Sony would be able to jack up the cost of doing business on MS's end.

Darsxx82

Any sooner and I don't think MS will be able to offer a substantial enough of a performance jump at a reasonable price to earn the "next-gen" labeling.

My guess is Xbox in 2027, PS6 in 2028.
Given what we have seen, "at a reasonable price" is now a thing of the past.

It is also a thing of the past that MS aims to compete in sales with PS consoles (from its multiplatform strategy). Rather, it will seek to offer a product that allows it to keep most of its loyal users in the ecosystem without costing it money. And perhaps a "friendly" ecosystem closer to PC to attract some new or old users.

In 2026 launch what would be your current XSS and in 2029 will it be equivalent to your current XSX?

Astray

I do not see it. I think they are leaving the console business and shifting to third party. The idea of that Xbox PC people talk about with an "Xbox mode" is really stupid.
People are talking about it with excitement, not realizing that the pricing behind a surface-team-designed, uberpowerful machine that allows other major game storefronts is gonna make the PS5 Pro look like a complete bargain.

I can easily see it being +$1000.

HogIsland

No, they won't.
The largest shareholders are in charge of Microsoft now.
There won't be another Xbox console.
A windows handheld or a reduced-feature PC with built-in Xbox compatibility is all they're going to make.
Microsoft now considers a succesful Playstation to be a key contributor to their bottom line. The competition is over.
I agree this is the best way forward for Xbox, but I'm not sure they're gonna do it. This would mean no xbox-specific game builds, just Windows gaming made easier, similar to Steam Deck. I still think we might see that leaked Arm+Nvidia-based console.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
People are talking about it with excitement, not realizing that the pricing behind a surface-team-designed, uberpowerful machine that allows other major game storefronts is gonna make the PS5 Pro look like a complete bargain.

I can easily see it being +$1000.

They could upend things imo by offering a high powered console via something like a 48 month All Access plan though.

Microsoft won't release a full fat console to rival the PlayStation ever again in my opinion.

I think they will go Handheld in 2027 running on Arm CPU's with a translation layer that allows it to run your Xbox Series games, the rival to PlayStation will be Windows machines.

Lokaum D+

if MS launched a XBOXSX+ for U$ 499 or U$ 549 we would see a marketing share shifting for sure imo, but thats not happening since SX 2T in way overpriced right now.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
3 reasons off the top of my head. 1) The existing eco-system is too expensive to maintain without bringing in revenue; 2) The existing eco-system and good will is too valuable to just walk away from; 3) If Sony became the only console that plays graphical intensive games, then Sony would be able to jack up the cost of doing business on MS's end.
Regarding 1-2, I understand this POV, but not at the cost of releasing another non-viable console that even less people will buy. I mean, once the PS5 was easily in stock, it was outselling the Series 4-1, 5-1, even higher. We're already at a point where devs are skipping the Xbox. Winding down an unsuccessful software platform is bad (something MS has experience with) but even worse is spending all this money to come out with another failed console.

Regarding 3, I think Microsoft would have more influence over Sony as one of their prime third party publishers than they do as a failed console competitor.

Top Bottom