• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will there be an enhanced Xbox Series X^2 next year to compete with the Pro? Or will they just go straight for full next gen?

Alebrije

Gold Member
Microsoft won't release a mid gen Console, instead they Will push cloud , stream services. They are a software company and Will push all digital service.

ap_puff

I think its sooner

I think Xbox changed course to prep next gen while Sony was doing this Pro

We could get a very interest release window of both next gen machines being a couple of years apart.
Honestly I think this talk of a nextbox is just running interference for them to run out their production contracts, every sign points to them abandoning a hardware platform and at best licensing the Xbox trademark for 3rd party manufacturers to use on a steam machine equivalent

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Happiness is Xbox in my rearview mirror.
New xbox hardware will be a speed bump that my PC suspension can absorb.

Edit-Yes the song is on the radio.

Last edited:

Jesb

I’d be surprised if the higher up’s at Microsoft will even allow a new Xbox and force them to only publish games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know rumours or whatever are out there about a portable hybrid, but crossing fingers it’s just a traditional console. I don’t play handheld or mobile!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Honestly I think this talk of a nextbox is just running interference for them to run out their production contracts, every sign points to them abandoning a hardware platform and at best licensing the Xbox trademark for 3rd party manufacturers to use on a steam machine equivalent

Everyone keeps wishing for this, but then they freak out at a $700 PS5 Pro.

If you really want this one console future to come true, then don't cry when the PS6 starts at $999 with no disc drive option, and every first-party game is $149 for the base version, $200+ for the deluxe.

reinking

Gold Member
I think its sooner

We could get a very interest release window of both next gen machines being a couple of years apart.
…and Sony just opened the door for premium pricing.

King Dazzar

An Xbox pro model doesn't make sense when there's no demand for the base model. Microsoft needs to figure out how to convince people they need an Xbox before shipping a more powerful model.
Or simply sell the next one with a margin built into the price. And not worry about sales numbers. Expensive hybrid PC I reckon.

Darsxx82

In the thread on this same forum about the next XBOX hardware you have a lot of indications that indicate the opposite of MS going to abandon console hardware.

-You have recently published a multitude of job offers by the XBOX hardware division looking for engineers of all types (electronics, AI, OS...) "for the new line of XBox hardware.

-You have to say that MS recently opened a stand at the GDC open to users and visitors just so they could leave their feedback on what they want the future XBOX hardware to be.

-You have Sarah Bond (president of Xbox hardware) confirming that "development work on the new XBOX hardware has accelerated, which will mean the biggest technological leap in a generation"

-You have to P. Spencer has almost already semi-confirmed an XBOX handheld.

There are plenty of signs telling you that MS isn't done with the hardware. Another thing is the strategy they seek with this one, which, from what is rumored, look like is going to be closer to the open PC platform than to that of a traditional console.

RickMasters

I hope not, there is no substantial jump to make it in to a console at a reasonable price.

I was gonna say this.now that the dust has settled and I think back to the reveal…… all those games run just fine in a PS4 pro, and some of them already look fantastic on a PS5. Pro versions are just PS5 versions with performance and fidelity modes enables at the same time. And it’s pretty easy to get a PS4 game to 4K/60 on settings On a PS5 pro….. PS5 was already doing that with some PS4 games.

That makes it seem expensive…. For WHAT it is…..

I’m the ideal world the PS5 ( and the series X) would be in that 300 dollar bracket after the four year mark. At 550, this would have been an easy sell. But the leap is not that great based on what we have seen. And maybe that’s just due to constraints of it being tied to hardware that is 4 years old when it launches. Sharing a lot of its core AMD architecture with PS5 ( and to a degree the series X)

So no….. I’d rather , Xbox go full on next gen and their rumoured console-PC hybrid approach might be just the right thing for where we are in gaming right now.

I want my Xbox and steam accounts in one box and I’d be ok with semi modular/upgradable hardware approach. I’ll Make mines an ASUS!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They will release a new console sooner than later but it wont be a pro. The Xbox ecosystem isn't really a generations type of thing anymore. We are more likely to see cloud apps or PC and Iphone translation apis than anything.

Hudo

They shouldn't try to compete with the PS5 Pro. That's a waste of resources. They should work on their next-gen offering and try to think about what they can do to make their GamePass and gaming-as-a-service model as attractive as possible and as seamless as possible, if they want to get back market share.
Maybe going after Nintendo and making a hybrid device is the way to go. Maybe doing a 3DO and license out design for other manufacturers is the way to go. Maybe making a console and price it really, really aggressively (like $350 for the best spec) is the way to go. Maybe working together with Steam and integrate GamePass with Steam somehow is the way to go. I dunno how to maneuver Microsoft out of the whole they've dug themselves into, tbh. I don't envy Phil.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Or simply sell the next one with a margin built into the price. And not worry about sales numbers. Expensive hybrid PC I reckon.
I could see that happening. Microsoft is definitely shifting to software first. Xbox could become like the surface line of devices where the driver seems to be "If you don't already have a device you can use you might as well look at what we have for sale."

Killjoy-NL

I think its sooner

Sounds kinda dumb to release a nextbox in between PS5 Pro and PS6.

It has to be significantly more powerful than PS5 Pro, but it will be less powerful than PS6 and to make it worse, all Xbox games will be on Playstation.

Last edited:
I think its sooner

I agree,

It worked for them in the 360 era. With all the backwards compatibility (which MS really pushed) it may not work as well this time. Only time will tell….

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
MLID talked about an Xbox Elite getting cancelled a while back.
@ 2:32

Without giving him a click as to when he heard about that but I heard for sure about a year ago PS5 Pro would be the only console on the market, even brought it up here when I heard it

z2dP781.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think its sooner

Great. With the way Pro is priced, it's naturally a lot easier to just wait a bit and pay for the start of a new generation instead of a half-way point.

dottme

Phil already said no. And they already mentioned the next Xbox.

When it's not a vague answer it means no.
So no Indiana jones on PS5

Edit: but I don’t believe we will have X2. It really looks like to go straight to next gen. But I don’t believe Phil at all too.

Last edited:
At the rate changes are made now year are going by like in dog years. Their nextbox is more than likely to be their last hurrah. Hopefully they can go balls out with it.

splattered

I would rather it go straight for next gen... and if that means another $699 digital console i would rather spend that on FULL ON next gen and not just a mid gen refresh.

Last edited:

Allandor

No. Hardware is just to expensive right now, and the jump much to small. Even Ms had to increase prices for the 4 years old console (also Sony).
Also tech is lagging behind in the last 10 years. There were a few jumps but only at higher costs.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Lets see Xbox come out with a ~5090 powered console for $1200 in 2026

NGL, a $1000 or so hybrid machine that's a console + PC type thing would not be a bad idea.

I am still rocking a 1060 laptop from like 8 years ago and it'd be a lot more of a safer choice for someone like me to get that as an upgrade over a traditional PC 🤷‍♂️

sainraja

I am not sure what we will see from Microsoft. It is a bit hard to say given the type of moves they have made recently. I am wondering what next-gen for Microsoft looks like. Is it fully onboard with Game Pass on any device that people choose or something else altogether that no one is considering? They are putting games on competing platforms and if that isn't going to change next-gen, with even more games coming, what will the next Xbox look like?

SkylineRKR

A new Xbox would only make sense if it can bolster subscriptions to their service. For this reason I still doubt they will leave the hardware space soon. I think they obviously want to, but the lions share of subs is on Xbox consoles. They need to have a stable amount of users on other platforms first.

Perhaps they will aim at something like Surface.

Bitstream

NGL, a $1000 or so hybrid machine that's a console + PC type thing would not be a bad idea.

I am still rocking a 1060 laptop from like 8 years ago and it'd be a lot more of a safer choice for someone like me to get that as an upgrade over a traditional PC 🤷‍♂️
The thing that would remain to be seen though is, if Xbox ends up releasing some next gen, 'greatest graphical leap of all time' device, how advanced can those games be if its mandated that they need to be playable on their handheld?

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

they barely tried to compete with the current consoles. and compete with what? the couple mill PS5 pros that will sell?

if they were smart they would start next gen early and eat a bit of the cost to gain market share like old gens would do BUT it's Phil so fuck knows he won't do that lol

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
NextBox

Also, Xbox was really honest with how they perceive generations, and the next console will have something more than Series X, but how much? Probably PS5 level of it, and will be called Series X gen2, while Series S gen2 will be basically the actual Series X

adamsapple

The thing that would remain to be seen though is, if Xbox ends up releasing some next gen, 'greatest graphical leap of all time' device, how advanced can those games be if its mandated that they need to be playable on their handheld?

The handheld thing (or hybrid for that matter) is just a rumor though. If they are truly looking for a bigly huge leap then I don't think it's possible in constrained form-factor or wattage.

Bitstream

The handheld thing (or hybrid for that matter) is just a rumor though. If they are truly looking for a bigly huge leap then I don't think it's possible in constrained form-factor or wattage.
its the same rumor: a hybrid console for everyday folks who want something on the go, a high end console for those who want top tier performance, and the 'any screen an xbox' firestick strategy for minimal-buy-in folks

Each one of them captures a distinct market segment, but by pushing for series S parity, MS ended up giving sony free exclusives due to hardware limitations.

Last edited:

RCX

If there's due to be another Xbox earlier than a ps6 then I'm guessing we're talking about 2026, but at the rate Xbox hardware sales are falling off is it even worth MS bothering?

Maybe they're just biding their time before announcing the obvious fact they'd rather just be a massive publisher.

Astray

They could upend things imo by offering a high powered console via something like a 48 month All Access plan though.
All access idea didn't work when they did it with $350/$500 consoles, so why would it work with +$1000?

Klarna etc all exist already for PS Switch etc.

Without giving him a click as to when he heard about that but I heard for sure about a year ago PS5 Pro would be the only console on the market, even brought it up here when I heard it

z2dP781.png
You were the #1 source on this.

Kudos for a job very well done! 👏

They started saying the Series X is their midgen refresh. Which is BS, but it's how they changed their language when the PS5 Pro info started coming out.
plus you got that bangin firestick!

kevboard

It's there chance to go into and make a comparable system to the ps6 for 600 euro.

if they wanna lose a lot of money, sure. but that won't happen. I don't think the Xbox department is seen as something important anymore to Microsoft, at least not the console side.

Timberwolf25

Gold Member
I wouldn't get one even if they did announce a "Pro" version. I don't think they've come close to maxing the current console as is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom