• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will there be an enhanced Xbox Series X^2 next year to compete with the Pro? Or will they just go straight for full next gen?

ap_puff

In the thread on this same forum about the next XBOX hardware you have a lot of indications that indicate the opposite of MS going to abandon console hardware.

-You have recently published a multitude of job offers by the XBOX hardware division looking for engineers of all types (electronics, AI, OS...) "for the new line of XBox hardware.

-You have to say that MS recently opened a stand at the GDC open to users and visitors just so they could leave their feedback on what they want the future XBOX hardware to be.

-You have Sarah Bond (president of Xbox hardware) confirming that "development work on the new XBOX hardware has accelerated, which will mean the biggest technological leap in a generation"

-You have to P. Spencer has almost already semi-confirmed an XBOX handheld.

There are plenty of signs telling you that MS isn't done with the hardware. Another thing is the strategy they seek with this one, which, from what is rumored, look like is going to be closer to the open PC platform than to that of a traditional console.
So they're hiring hardware engineers now for a console that's supposed to release in 2 years? Yeah, that's not going to be a disaster 🙄🙄🙄

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
All access idea didn't work when they did it with $350/$500 consoles, so why would it work with +$1000?

Klarna etc all exist already for PS Switch etc.

Who's says it didn't work?

Klarna is basically 6 week payment plan iirc. You can't really get payments down that low.

48 month All Access plan would let you get a $800 console + GamePass Ultimate into reasonable monthly payment. I don't think idea is that far fetched honestly. People are used to subscriptions and the console industry already has subscriptions as a significant part of the business, putting the hardware behind it as well is a natural evolution imo.

Without giving him a click as to when he heard about that but I heard for sure about a year ago PS5 Pro would be the only console on the market, even brought it up here when I heard it

z2dP781.png
Yes. 2 years to design and build their next console (after hearing about PS5 Pro). Makes sense. If they were releasing their console next year they would have announced it already. They have 2 years to make their own AI upscaling running on AMD silicon.

Darsxx82

So they're hiring hardware engineers now for a console that's supposed to release in 2 years? Yeah, that's not going to be a disaster 🙄🙄🙄
What does it have to do with it? You can be hiring until the last day before having the final design that surely does not exist with 2 years remaining. It is adding more staff to accelerate development and with knowledge of new technologies.

PS. Desing PS5Pro is supposed to take 18 months 🤷

They wait at least two years to start a new gen where they can make it faster cpu/gpu then the pro and have it cost 500. All your last gen game will just get a boost with it too

Astray

Who's says it didn't work?

Klarna is basically 6 week payment plan iirc. You can't really get payments down that low.

48 month All Access plan would let you get a $800 console + GamePass Ultimate into reasonable monthly payment. I don't think idea is that far fetched honestly. People are used to subscriptions and the console industry already has subscriptions as a significant part of the business, putting the hardware behind it as well is a natural evolution imo.
I think the major problem is that successive Xbox leaderships have largely squandered a lot of the good brand cachet the brand has in the eyes of the normie consumers.

We've seen Series S go as low as $150 in Target during the holidays last year with no takers. If the consumer won't take a chance on Xbox for that little of a price, then what hope does the brand itself have?

AzekZero

My guess is Xbox will go the other direction and launch a handheld.

They'll be late to the party, but can easily partner with any of the Deck-like manufacturers to make an official Xbox handheld that can run Windows 11 & SteamOS 3.

Last edited:
The way they are heading nowadays you have to wonder if they don’t just abandon their next gen console plans and go full third party. They can’t compete sales wise anymore and it just seems futile. Their console sales have fallen off a cliff. The Xbox One will have sold more units. Putting their games on PS5 doesn’t look good either. It just really looks bad at this point.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

I think the major problem is that successive Xbox leaderships have largely squandered a lot of the good brand cachet the brand has in the eyes of the normie consumers.

We've seen Series S go as low as $150 in Target during the holidays last year with no takers. If the consumer won't take a chance on Xbox for that little of a price, then what hope does the brand itself have?

meh this is obviously hyperbolic...as is much of the rhetoric around Xbox.

Parazels

I think the next Xbox will have PC hardware with console like interface.
PC games will be particularly well optimized for its hardware, but still able to run on any other PC.

DragonNCM

The X is allready the pro variant. Ms told the majority of sold consoles are the S variant
Hey !!!
It is poor people choice after all :)
Pandemic sold a lot of S consoles most of them in poor country's......like mine.
Ofc we are fucked up now because we cant even buy games from any store or use gamepass :(

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
We probably already need a new CPU, so new gen would probably be better. Even tho, I still feel like its crazy talk, because of barely any current gen games, its crazy honestly

GoldenEye98

C'mon Xbox, go NVidia again for the next one and deliver 5090 performance for sub 1500, my wallet is ready

"hey all you gotta do is just sell this thing at sub-market pricing and I'll really like it!!!" wow solid analysis lol

Why would Nvidia sell a 5090-like chip for less than...a 5090. There is no advantage for them to do it when they can sell the chips hand over fist for top dollar.

Also I'm very skeptical we are going to see a 600W+ console

salva

given how long games take to make we're still waiting for titles announced years ago to come, so having the Series X for another year or so is fine imo. Don't see a need for a "pro" Xbox Series console now, just give us a new console in ~2 years.
however, if they came out with a handheld for say... ~$399 with the performance of a Series S (not gonna happen lol), I'd snap that up.

Last edited:

Astray

meh this is obviously hyperbolic...as is much of the rhetoric around Xbox.
Is it that really hyperbolic when we're seeing abysmal numbers every month or so? At some point we have to recognize the market reality for what it is, even if we don't like it.

If the PS5 Pro doesn't succeed, we will have to recognize that too if/when it becomes reality.

DinoD

Everyone keeps wishing for this, but then they freak out at a $700 PS5 Pro.

If you really want this one console future to come true, then don't cry when the PS6 starts at $999 with no disc drive option, and every first-party game is $149 for the base version, $200+ for the deluxe.

Yeah, but that surely would spell the end for the traditional console model. Which is already smelling funny IMO. It's just matter of time before someone figures out a successful small factor plug and play PC in the box for the living room. Running Steam or any other gaming services.

Fess

New xbox 2027

Ps6 2028
Terrible timing. They’ve already tried that, and got Ken Kutaragi to call it Xbox 1.5.
I think they need to have something on the market in 2026, or earlier. A tease at TGS this year for a late 2025 launch would be like the Project Scorpio unveil, which got me to wait for Xbox One X instead of buying PS4 Pro.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps wishing for this, but then they freak out at a $700 PS5 Pro.

If you really want this one console future to come true, then don't cry when the PS6 starts at $999 with no disc drive option, and every first-party game is $149 for the base version, $200+ for the deluxe.

From what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has hinted at in the past we are looking at a $1000+ console from Xbox next anyways. Which goes a long the same lines of Phil Spencer questioning whether subsidizing a console makes sense anymore.

From what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has hinted at in the past we are looking at a $1000+ console from Xbox next anyways. Which goes a long the same lines of Phil Spencer questioning whether subsidizing a console makes sense anymore.
If people are willing to pay 800€ for a unimpressive midgen refresh, I'm sure there are people that will pay 1000€ for a NextBox. If some of the rumored stuff is true, i know I'd be interested.

NickFire

If people are willing to pay 800€ for a unimpressive midgen refresh, I'm sure there are people that will pay 1000€ for a NextBox. If some of the rumored stuff is true, i know I'd be interested.
People will definitely buy it. How many is the real question.

Regardless, I'd love to see official information in line with the rumors (or maybe even leaks). The rumored price would be a hard thing to justify, but if we're talking about a "console" that can play games without an online tax (such as steam games) that would get my attention.

Connxtion

A was thinking if they could bump it by 300 mhz (2.125GHz) to get 14.144 TF and then that’s only a 2 dif and bridge the gap a little without new hardware.

Bump it by 600 mhz to get 2.425GHz for a 16.140TF machine 😂

May make the machine make a sound though.

(52*64*2.125*2 & 52*64*2.425*2)

Top Bottom