• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

We're quite the pessimistic bunch, no? Sometimes it feels...really strange reading all the posts here.

I'm a bit too sunny. Maybe I should change, too.

(I really want to try out Windows 10 on my phone, but I think I probably really should wait until it officially rolls out.)

derFeef

We're quite the pessimistic bunch, no? Sometimes it feels...really strange reading all the posts here.

(I really want to try out Windows 10 on my phone, but I think I probably really should wait until it officially rolls out.)

That's how we WP users roll!

KageMaru

We bitch and moan because we care. =P We all want the platform to succeed, which is why we want MS to stop fucking things up. W10 is looking like they are taking things in the right direction, but there's always the question whether or not it's too late for the phone.

Would love to install W10 on my phone too but with all the issues I had on the Icon with the early 8.1 preview builds, I think I'll wait. I rely on my phone for work and those early days were extremely frustrating.

frontieruk

Super ignorant question, but do people from other countries participate in this world cup?

See if it was the world series I could understand this question, but handegg is only a Superbowl, like the FA Cup or DFB-Pokal, its just as with everything the Americans do they make a show of a sport that should only take 90mins to get from start to finish.

We bitch and moan because we care. =P We all want the platform to succeed, which is why we want MS to stop fucking things up. W10 is looking like they are taking things in the right direction, but there's always the question whether or not it's too late for the phone.

Would love to install W10 on my phone too but with all the issues I had on the Icon with the early 8.1 preview builds, I think I'll wait. I rely on my phone for work and those early days were extremely frustrating.

Haha. I'm just a happy customer, since I don't really find anything much to not love about my current phone, games aside, but that's why I have a 3DS.

I don't really feel like using preview builds right now since, well, I'd hate to lose functionality. Almost always, early previews stink.

the super bowl? not that I know of, it's all American teams playing on American fields yay America

See if it was the world series I could understand this question, but handegg is only a Superbowl, like the FA Cup or DFB-Pokal, its just as with everything the Americans do they make a show of a sport that should only take 90mins to get from start to finish.

But hadareud was the one who called it the hand egg world cup. That's what confused me!

I decided not to do the 8.1 preview, and I was really happy that I didn't, trading all the complaints people had here.

Demin for the Icon is coming this year!

Lumia icon people asking what I meant by "early 2015": The first part of the year. In my mind that means jan/feb or so. Less likely March.

What about LG Optimus 7? The true hero of Windows Phone.

What a solid device that was. I still have mine.

Sometimes I wonder if sticking with Windows is a good idea in the long term, but with a phone like this...

*hugs his 930*

I feel really unlikely to get a phone that is running some other OS at this point. Then again, I use phones as phones...

KageMaru

Demin for the Icon is coming this year!

Lumia icon people asking what I meant by "early 2015": The first part of the year. In my mind that means jan/feb or so. Less likely March.

The way MS and Verizon have handled the Icon has been an absolute joke.

Sometimes I wonder if sticking with Windows is a good idea in the long term, but with a phone like this...

*hugs his 930*

I feel really unlikely to get a phone that is running some other OS at this point. Then again, I use phones as phones...

Admittedly when I work on Android and iPhones, I'm thankful for the way the WP UI works. I guess it's only natural to prefer what you're already used to. Even with all the bitching I do, I hope I'm not forced into moving over to another platform. There are some Android phones that do look nice, and I would like to try, but there always seems to be that caveat preventing me from from making the leap.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I noticed in the Windows 10 presser is that it looks like Joe uses a pattern to unlock his 1520, likely similar to Windows 8.1.

My 635 is now giving me the "resuming" screen everytime I unlock my screen. It never did this before, now it performs like a 520. Anything I can do to help my little 512mb ram flagship device out?

Magni

My 635 is now giving me the "resuming" screen everytime I unlock my screen. It never did this before, now it performs like a 520. Anything I can do to help my little 512mb ram flagship device out?

Did you install Tetra Lockscreen by any chance?

I think I don't want to be a tester this time around though. I guess I can wait. Beats having to deal with potentially severe issues on a phone and losing a bunch of things while I restore my phone. (It's easier to put things back on PC-land...)

I can't believe I'll be on the Black firmware when I get Windows 10 on my phone.

The crazy thing about what carriers do to phone updates is that what they're doing somehow manages to be reasonable and unreasonable at the same time. Regulations and requirements are a real thing. If only they could be done faster, and more easily.

royalan

Almost six months on Android...and I still miss the WP start menu. Hands down the best interface on a smartphone. Will never stop praising it. :(

And I especially miss WP's swipe texting feature, which surprises me. I think I've used 5 different keyboards on my phone, including Swipe and the new Google keyboard, and none of them picked up my typing habits as quickly as the keyboard on my Lumia 635 did. That keyboard truly learned how I type...surprised I don't see more people talking about that.

Anyway, as much as I'm in love with Android, I'd happily come back to WP...if MS hadn't apparently forgotten the platform. :(

Almost six months on Android...and I still miss the WP start menu. Hands down the best interface on a smartphone. Will never stop praising it. :(

And I especially miss WP's swipe texting feature, which surprises me. I think I've used 5 different keyboards on my phone, including Swipe and the new Google keyboard, and none of them picked up my typing habits as quickly as the keyboard on my Lumia 635 did. That keyboard truly learned how I type...surprised I don't see more people talking about that.

Anyway, as much as I'm in love with Android, I'd happily come back to WP...if MS hadn't apparently forgotten the platform. :(

The Windows Phone keyboard is possibly the closest I've ever come to effectively touch-typing on a touchscreen keyboard. It's that freaking good.

It's hard to keep juggling a lot of balls and keep all of them good.

Top Bottom