• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superflat

But are people really watching this for the story. I thought they were watching this for the cute girls doing cute things or just girls beating the shit out of each other.

Both things you mentioned can be great qualities of a show, but a good story would just be great for a show's foundation. A cool/interesting story with lackluster action/cute girls can still be fun to follow from start to finish. On the other end of the spectrum, a bad story can dampen any other positive aspects pretty severely.

I personally think a mediocre story would be inoffensive as long it's not distractingly bad, and the characters are great. That's pretty much the blueprint for most slice of life shows.

I really should start watching this series.

JCG

I don't have anything against that sort of humor in principle, I'm not just not finding it funny here. Humor is such a subjective thing though.

As for the fan service, I can't really agree. Not with all the female characters wearing scanty clothing and these close up shots of the MC sleeping in the nude or the succubus sticking out her barely clothed ass. I actually went to take screens and wasn't sure if they were even safe to post here.

Taking screenshots can often be misleading because that doesn't indicate how they are being framed in the context of the rest of the episode, nor how much time is objectively being spent on them.

For me, fanservice isn't simply a matter of wearing skimpy clothing. If anything, that's the mildest form of fanservice there is, and thus for me it's the most inoffensive. You mention close-up shots of the character sleeping naked, as if that were monopolizing the camera, but that is not the case. In this episode, it was: a) not even that close compared to what an ecchi anime would do. b) done surprisingly quickly unless you freeze frame over it. You may have more of a case with the succubus, although being a sex object is part of her job, but even then, I don't think having a fanservice scene (or more than one) automatically makes a show "focused on fanservice" as a whole. I'd only say that of projects where that's the clear main target. Naturally I won't -and can't- force you to agree with me, mind you.

daveo42

Banned
Maria the Virgin Witch 2

I found the humor to be a bit more tolerable and we did get some expansion on some of the world. I think my enjoyment of the show will be how much I can tolerate its humor vs how much I care about the overall story.

Thoraxes

But are people really watching this for the story. I thought they were watching this for the cute girls doing cute things or just girls beating the shit out of each other.

I'm watching it for all those reasons plus the animation, music, and fight choreography. It's good and it's a weird enough fusion of style and eccentricity that's right up my alley.

Shugo Chara 25

Last episode was a recap, but showed us
Nikaidou is a teacher again

And then we got OH HEY, KUKAI IS ONE OF THE DUDES AMUTHINKS ABOUT! Bull shit. It was teh Ikuto and Princes how.

But more importantly Nadeshiko is leaving. And I was expecting the usual she's not leaving.

It went further than that. Not only did Nadeshiko leave, but she has a twin brother.

HOWEVER, you would think that the boy was her disguise.

BUT IT WAS ACTUALLY NADESHIKO THAT WAS THE DISGUISE, AND SHE'S ACTUALLY A GUY! Yuri is dead

MC98UXZ.jpg

Branduil

Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls 2

I thought we'd avoided introduce-a-million-characters hell but I guess it was just delayed one episode? At least it's over now, right?

Also, how the heck does an idol company afford a swank office complex like this? When the idol bubble bursts this place is going to become a creepy ghost town that's explored and videotaped by weird otaku.

Theonik

Also, how the heck does an idol company afford a swank office complex like this? When the idol bubble bursts this place is going to become a creepy ghost town that's explored and videotaped by weird otaku.
What is a lot more likely is that the complex is leased and it ends up being rented out to the AV industry like the notorious pool.

Shugo Chara 26

Kukai and Nagihiko leave the cast

And more IkutoxAmi shipping

And new fucking characters. People are rather chummy with the villains.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Obviously the correct course is to punish both of them for engaging in sinful activities like gambling.

Cloudy

Banned
Anyone else watching Maria, the virgin witch? The juxtaposition of religion, mythlogy and history is VERY interesting...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 73

Oh, you were so close there Sailor Moon R, you were so bloody close to actually getting me to care about Chibi-Usa's plight. Showing her torn between her captured mother and her new found loyalty to her borrowed family and friends was a smart move. What kills is her eventually rationalizations to go back and being her usual bratty and selfish hypocritical self; the apple really didn't fall far from the tree on that personality trait. Also, yes this entire mess was mostly her fault, snatching the brooch while dangerous elements are actively hunting you was a mistake, but really everybody failed here, from Usagi being Usagi and rare brainfart from the Sailor Scouts since it was not a good idea to have security meeting while your target of protection is unattended. We are also seeing the true might of Rubeus since he is set to be relieved of his command and I like his reaction is different then that of villains past. Far from the desperate begging we saw from the likes of Four Heavenly Kings, Sir Rubeus has inside knowledge that has left him seemingly standing triumphant. Anyway, high recommendation to watch this episode bt be warned it also contains high doses of Chibi-Usa.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Anyone else watching Maria, the virgin witch? The juxtaposition of religion, mythlogy and history is VERY interesting...

Watching it. One of the better show this season.

Maria the virgin witch 2

Dickless Incubus should really ask his job desc. May Maria grant him a dick in later episode. The joke will definitely offend several watcher.

Yoru no Yatterman 2

A show that successfully combine comedy and serious theme really well. Leopard and the gang trying to imitate the Doronbo is sad and funny at the same time. Top tier OP and ED. Can't wait till next episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 74

Right, so for as much shit as I give this season for its dumb choices and believe they are still dumb choices all this time later, I can also see that the Black Moon portion of Sailor Moon R is on the whole a much stronger arc then anything generated from the Sato era. A large part of that can be seen in this episode, I am unsure who made the call, if it was Ikuhara or somebody else but this arc shifted fundamentally from what basically amounted to a combination of Super Sentai and a slice of life show with the occasional flash of character development into a much more complex character drama and the show is so much better for it. This episode is a really good showcase as we see Uasgi though the lens of character development and personal growth. Shit, she even highlights and lampshades how before she would have let her bad habits get the best of her and she still has moments of weakness because she is still a teenaged girl, in short it really is a wonderful tapestry of what Sailor Moon has become. That being said it doesn't make her season one incarnation any more tolerable and I will continue to fight people on that point. Finally, this arc understand tonality a lot better as it saves the stupid comedy spots for after the danger has passed, which is where it belongs, not during the heavy moments where it undercuts the drama. Anyway, gold star Sailor Moon, highest recommendation to watch.

Yamato 2199 [End]

Overall it was a really good show, I think the last few episodes were good enough to somewhat turn a blind eye to my feelings against the stormtrooper stuff.
I suppose Desler getting a decent send off was a part of that. Many memorable characters, good set pieces and very good animation rates this high on my list.

Gbraga

Why isn't Cinderella Girls on Crunchyroll? :/

Anyway, Koufuku Graffiti episode 02 made me miss Sakura Trick so much, any other recent animes that are kinda like that or will I have to rewatch Sakura Trick?

fertygo

We don't know how much the dude catered to director anyway.. If I learned something from Shirobako, is maybe some complaint to writer are misdirected..

Some project like the one with Okada or Gen had the production tailored from their story, while the other project have their writer just tailored the concept and idea from comitee to make the script.

cajunator

Banned

Well, yeah of course!

I'm watching it for all those reasons plus the animation, music, and fight choreography. It's good and it's a weird enough fusion of style and eccentricity that's right up my alley.

Its just really REALLY fun.

reminder that the ironic goty comes out in a day or two https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcGPYxpPt6Q

I dont understand the appeal of this.

Just finish watching Mezzo Forte and now watching Mezzo DSA. Man...DSA start rough right now with story line of the 2 episodes is cliche you can get right now. What a huge drop but might try to stick it for a bit to see if the story get better later on or not.

I wonder if I am the only person who bought DVDs of Mezzo DSA TV.

Why isn't Cinderella Girls on Crunchyroll? :/

Anyway, Koufuku Graffiti episode 02 made me miss Sakura Trick so much, any other recent animes that are kinda like that or will I have to rewatch Sakura Trick?

Oh dear god that avatar <3

Also, not really but Yuri Bear Storm exists if you like cute lesbian antics.

cajunator

Banned
I do own the DVD box set of DSA as it was cheap at that time. Now, wonder if it's worth the amount I pay.....

Nice :)

What a weird OP too for the show.
I wasnt sure what to make of it, since Mezzo Forte was straight up hentai. But DSA isnt hentai at all. Its just an action show. Though still with a bit of that Umetsu creepiness.

javac

Gatchaman Crowds has been acquired by Animatsu through Sentai Filmworks so...expect a Blu-ray release in the UK this year? Not seen the show myself, all I know is that the main girl has a big skirt and a bird hair clip and weird shaped eyebrows and she does the peace sign a lot.

Narag

Gatchaman Crowds has been acquired by Animatsu through Sentai Filmworks so...expect a Blu-ray release in the UK this year? Not seen the show myself, all I know is that the main girl has a big skirt and a bird hair clip and weird shaped eyebrows and she does the peace sign a lot.

Licensed through sentai implies the wrong final ep. ~chu

cajunator

Banned

Hajime is genki as FUUUUUUUCK

Rolling(In the deep) Girls 1-2
Very....interesting premise. So it's set after a war, and some people have powers now?

What are the conditions to having the powers? Why does moonstone exist? Does the "centre of the world" actually reference the moonstones? Where did all the goddamn leaders go? And why does everyone never learn from history?

Overall, great quality animation, lots of colourful set-pieces and action expressions. I guess the song does fit the theme nicely, but it's hard to notice it with so much going on the screen, so in the end it feels like a waste(but not a bad one). Story wise...i guess there is nothing yet, as this is just the build-up phase, but I am guessing alot of hints in episode 2 might come to play sooner than later. Oh, I don't really know what to say about the characters, as they are your typical cast of personalities. I do hope they show more in the coming episodes.

I am going to continue watching and see where it goes.

just watched episode one.
really digging the animation and style. kinda reminds me of old anime. I was expecting for the anime to time jump to present and be typical anime slice of life. so far I like the anime.
I hope the sexual innuendo is just first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom