• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sailor Moon R 23

Pf4sEB9.jpg

Z8nmuxd.jpg

Heh, they translated sleep but not yume? :p

Anyway... Mamuro is still fighting against the future and Usagi gets to be sleeping beauty. A background character gets slapped as well.

Jex

Kaguyahime > everything Miyazaki's ever created

I don't think we need to reduce everything down a petty internet argument in this fashion, no matter how amusing that may be! The two directors have very different styles and create very different works.

What I will say is that Miyazaki has clearly declined quite severely over the course of the last few movies while Takahata is still perfecting his craft.

Yuri Kuma Arashi 01

No gore, only yuri, yuri and yuri.
Wanna post some picture but then i find out none of any picture is able to post here, this show is too lewd.

Jex

Penguindrum is shit

Penguindrum is a complicated, interesting and clearly flawed show that I really need to rewatch at some point. I've read a through interesting articles about it but one of the best overall evaluations of the show can be found here.

I would agree that the biggest problem with the show is that the story feels really rushed in the last act. It seems like it needed another set of episodes to develop.

BluWacky

I love Penguindrum to bits, but its biggest flaw for me is how it handles the supporting trio of Masako, Yuri and Tabuki. They're all interesting and well written characters, but the show runs out of time to really flesh out their stories beyond a couple of episodes each in the middle third and they become mostly irrelevant to the end game. While this works in Utena due to the episodic nature of the show and the greater insulation of the Student Council members from the final overarching story, that's not the case in PingDrum.

I don't think the show is shit by any means - I think it's genius and one of the best shows I've seen in the past five years. It IS poorly paced (I would argue that Envelope's criticisms are all the same thing, essentially) but I don't think that detracts from so many of the other things it gets right.

Penguindrum is a complicated, interesting and clearly flawed show that I really need to rewatch at some point. I've read a through interesting articles about it but one of the best overall evaluations of the show can be found here.
Christopher Marlow (‘tamerlane420’) is a PhD in Anime Studios and Professor Emeritus from Northwestern University. He has two published books: Moe, a Feminist Defense and From Futari to Rail Wars: The Middle Period Works of Makoto Uno. He is the first openly homosexual anime professor, attracting controversy for shouting “I’m gay” during a performance of ‘sirius’ by Eir Aoi at Otakon 2014.
Wait, what.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It IS poorly paced (I would argue that Envelope's criticisms are all the same thing, essentially)

A show can have fine pacing but no cohesive structure (anything Tomino makes), can be wonderfully directed but completely fail to resolve its subplots in any meaningful manner... so yeah, no

Penguin Drum is a bad show with some incredibly good moments. A lot of fun to watch, of course. I am hoping Ikuhara will be more focused and structured with Lesbian Bear Storm.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
My initial response to Penguindrum was the common one: the show is great in individual doses but fails as a cohesive whole, the narrative thrust aimless, ultimately succumbing to Ikuhara’s worst tendencies. Even the show’s defenders often conceded that the show was best experienced as a ‘ride’ and not that structurally dense, so I had little reason to reconsider this view. Upon rewatch, however, I’ve found my position completely reversed: Penguindrum is a show that is thematically well-conceived, rich in detail, but fails in the execution of the particulars.
I would agree that the biggest problem with the show is that the story feels really rushed in the last act. It seems like it needed another set of episodes to develop.

I would argue that Penguindrum's inability to control those pesky particulars hinders every other part of the show, including those broader thematically well-conceived elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom