• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Seriously. That OP felt like an ED. No hype whatsoever

Yeah that's exactly right. Normally you reserve the slow music/slow paced sequence for the ending credits to help the audience unwind. Quite the odd choice.

Narag

Sihirobako 13

8gBLMIZl.jpg
I smell meddling by the author in the future!

Milky Holmes TD 1

While it's amusing when they're on screen, it seems like the Milky Holmes are once again not the main characters, taking a back seat to Marine even if they have a bigger role than they did in Futari wa Milky Holmes.

I'll probably keep up with it for now in hopes of MH getting more screentime, but it's still disappointing.

Pooya

Saekano - 00

It had some fun moments, like the characters putting their intentions behind the making of their game and the MC introducing the harem as if he was writing the script in real time.
But this was a prequel so I think it'd be unfair to rule it out as of now. I'll see how the 'first' episode goes before I decide. Hell, I may watch it through just for glorious Michiru

This is the noitaminA show right? absolutelydisgusting.jpg

Branduil

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

*9,588 *3 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
*8,592 *3 Psycho-Pass Season 2 [BD+DVD] 
*7,912 *2 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*7,732 *2 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD] 
*6,299 *2 SHIROBAKO [BD] 
*5,324 *2 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
*5,161 *2 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,198 *2 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*3,850 *3 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,540 *2 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD]
*2,948 *2 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]  
*1,755 *2 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD] 
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika AVENGING BATTLE [BD] 
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD] 
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD] 
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD] 

Source with some updated numbers in the comments.

That top 4 is depressing.

Jarmel

Banned
Yuki Yuna-fin

If you want my impressions of the ending, jump to the vegetable.
It took me forever to finally finish this show, maybe because I wasn't looking forward to the suffering. I was wrong, I forgot how suffering can be fun. And oh how the suffering delivered. The major aspect of the show I find bad though is the pacing through the initial episodes. The pacing is glacially slow while the audience waits for the other shoe to drop. I understand why these episodes were needed, mainly in that it works to establish the characters and the things most important to them. This works to elevate the suffering in the later half because why should the audience care whether Itsuki loses her voice unless they see her dreams of becoming a singer. The drama of losing a body part is in some ways harder to see and understand compared to death/eternal damnation. That's why I think having Togo be a cripple at the start of the show was a great idea as the audience sees how frustrating life must be for Togo, and so not only gives the audience a baseline for how bad it can be to live with disabilities but also makes Togo a sympathetic character in her own right. Also how many shows doe you see where a main character is in a wheelchair? So I feel like there was a lot of 'prepwork' needed to make the later episodes work on an emotional level and while they really make the later episodes spectacular, they also drag down the initial batch which come off as boring and plain.

Animation was surprisingly good coming from Studio Gokami. They haven't done many works and are relatively small and new. Compare that to shit from IMS Production and it's clear that the team over at Gokami really put some attention into the work. The magical girl battles are almost completely CGI but I never felt that it was that much of a detriment, although I would obviously prefer 2D. Although I can't say it was that beneficial either as the the CGI battles don't really use any complex camerawork.
The soundtrack is stellar. It uses the heavy vocal choir element from Kaijura's work in Madoka Magica for the heavier drama moments but it also has some good light pieces for the show's many slice of life moments. Studio MONACA did a good job excelling in almost all the areas of the OST and the music really serves to elevate the dramatic moments. The one aspect the music wasn't great at was the hotblooded GAR moments. I think Sawano has kinda ruined me on that. Fuck. Anyway I really liked the Emi Evans pieces as they felt straight out of Nier.

The direction is something I want to delve into for a bit as it can be both subtle and 'hit you with a fucking brick' heavy at times. The foreshadowing for the drama was so goddamn heavy that the audience knows a twist is coming. I suppose it's somewhat fair to the audience, so that it doesn't feel like it's out of left field, but it also means that the audience is waiting for the twist to happen. Madoka Magica, which was a big source of inspiration for the staff, at least had the decency to have the twist, yes I know people argue that it's not a twist, in the 3rd episode. Here we had to wait till around episode 6. I also feel like the suffering was handled fairly well in that it felt dramatic but not melodramatic. The later episodes are laden with girls crying but it never feels too much but rather the girls responding emotionally to an emotionally charged situation that they're in. The area that I found really impressed with the direction though is the subtle stuff. Mainly that the show quietly works towards giving the show a discomforting feeling of restriction. There's something off with the world in YYY but it's hard to pinpoint exactly until episode 10. People are in it and everything functions normally but something slight is off about it.
The fact that the audience never sees any adult face clearly, the closest is Togo's mother in episode 10, is a key component of that.

So now for the ending, I see why people had issues with it. I do. The problem is many writers don't take the time to both establish the rules of the 'game' before they subvert it. That's something Urobuchi did extremely well in Madoka Magica, in that he took a lot of time to explain how and why everything worked the way it did. If you don't take the time to set up these rules, then when you subvert them, it comes off as a deus ex machina as the audience themselves establish their own rules that might conflict with the creators. YYY never set up a series of regulations about the Shinju so the 2nd half does come off as a deus ex machina despite it clearly being a case of mismatched expectations between those of the creators and the audience.
Now I'm not saying that it's the audience's fault for believing the Shinju is a hungry motherfucker and gobbling up body parts. The show clearly wants you to believe that the loss of body parts is permanent. However in the end, it's clear that the rules are something like Jumanji (the Robin Williams movie for the kids reading this post, which is good btw). The effects of the game are permanent if you don't clear the game. It's clear that nobody had a full understanding of the rules, even inside the show, which led to the series of misunderstandings culminating in episode 10.
So in this regard, the show's drama is all about there being a communication issue, not so much from people talking but from a lack of information. In this manner, it is sort of bullshit as the audience and characters are being led on.

All of that said, I'm actually sort of fine with the ending. The reason being is that the show doesn't betray the tone it had. The earlier parts of the show, as mentioned earlier, are fairly light hearted despite all the foreshadowing.
The ending keeps in tone with the earlier part of the show, rather than the latter half. I remember reading that some people felt betrayed about the ending and how happy it is, but I would say that they forgot the initial episodes.
A key component for any good ending is that it is consistent in tone with the earlier parts of the show itself. That's why so many people were howling about Madoka Magica's ending in that despite it being bittersweet, it still stuck out as too happy compared to the pitch black suffering earlier in the series.
iBHP1En5jODIt.png

lol what?
So putting all of this together, I feel like it's both better and worse than Madoka Magica's ending. It's nowhere near as well set up but it's also more in line with the show. Now two things I do find indefensible are
Karen coming back to help the Hero Club out despite her being deaf and blind and Yuna's fainting at the play. Yuna fainting is a cheap 'gotcha' moment where the audience starts to freak out that Yuna's disabilities are coming back, when the show has no intention whatsoever on carrying through with that notion.

Going back to the work as a whole, I feel like people saying that it's a Madoka Magica ripoff, aren't doing the show justice. The work is clearly, and I mean clearly, inspired by Madoka Magica but it's also it's own thing with a different message, theme, and tone. Seiji Kishi wanted to do his own take on Madoka and the resulting work is an interesting project on its own. The show has its flaws but it was a fun magical girl watch.

jman2050

Shirobako 13

So the second half has begun and we've already got a totally different feel compared to Exoduss production. Oi-chan gets promoted to Production Desk which means she has the honor of doing, and I quote, "Everything". Good luck with that! Also Tarou gets shit on some more which only makes me smile harder.

In other news Zuka gets an audition to Musani's new show. While it would be interesting to see her fail as a nod to how cutthroat the actual industry is I think we all know where this is going.

Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

phaze

Diebuster is so much greater than Gunbuster. Maybe it has something to do with seeing Diebuster first but Gunbuster simply does not compare to it.

~wan wan

That seems like a great way to ruin both shows for yourself. Terrible.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A

Magician Kaneki produces his mask and a new suit out of thin air.

Can't say I'm particularly enthralled with this episode. The direction and writing remains shoddy and neither of the fights was particularly well animated. Bones save us.

Still new, active Kaneki can bring much to the table, especially since he isn't saddled with (manga spoilers)
Tsukiyama and Banjo
Wonder what's in story for Touka now that her tsundere act crumbled.

New OP is meh. ED is pretty neat.

Firemind

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 4

Really, this show is just the right blend of original humor and referential material. Feels good to laugh and be genuinely surprised by things.
GOAT comedy.

Milky Holmes TD 1

While it's amusing when they're on screen, it seems like the Milky Holmes are once again not the main characters, taking a back seat to Marine even if they have a bigger role than they did in Futari wa Milky Holmes.

I'll probably keep up with it for now in hopes of MH getting more screentime, but it's still disappointing.
Well, shit.

PK Gaming

Yuki Yuna-fin
If you want my impressions of the ending, jump to the vegetable.

Well said, I couldn't agree more with this review.

Re: Suffering

I was definitely more emotionally affected by the suffering in this show than in Madoka. Partly because you actually grew to care about these characters and their plight as a result of the earlier half, but also because their dilemma was arguably even worse than death. I've actually grown pretty numb to major characters dying in anime lately due to how common it is, so it's not something that emotionally stimulates me. The reactions on GAF convinced me that the show was going to follow a similar route (I was absolutely convinced that Fu was going to die in episode 5), but it was much more despair inducing. Inevitably succumbing to debilitating disabilities? I wasn't ready for that shit. Watching the people you care about suffer is terrible, and it's something I can personally relate to. Death arguably seems like a far less harsher punishment in anime. Once a character dies, that it's it they're usually gone. When a character succumbs to the effects of Sange, you have to see them live with it, and it's legitimately heartbreaking.

Now two things I do find indefensible are
Karen coming back to help the Hero Club out despite her being deaf and blind and Yuna's fainting at the play. Yuna fainting is a cheap 'gotcha' moment where the audience starts to freak out that Yuna's disabilities are coming back, when the show has no intention whatsoever on carrying through with that notion.

I actually enjoyed that first scene. It didn't make any sort of sense on a logical level, but i'll chalk it up to pure anime willpower. I mean, being able to fight while blind and deaf? That's pretty metal. I actually really enjoyed her rampage in particular, it was probably my favorite part of the finale.

Yuna's fainting i'll give you. There are some theories running around, such as the fact that Yuna might still be a hero, but that remains to be seen. It's still pretty unnecessary though. Bordering on trolling even.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Considering GiTs isn't very good in the first place and is simply highly over-rated I don't see why anyone expected Arise to even be halfway decent or anything. I expect very little out of this movie.

~wan

Your opinions are wrong

GitS 1 & 2 are masterpieces.

SAC is decent for a sci-fic cyberpunk TV series.

Yuki Yuna-fin

So putting all of this together, I feel like it's both better and worse than Madoka Magica's ending. It's nowhere near as well set up but it's also more in line with the show. Now two things I do find indefensible are

I posted about this before but I think there's another element to the ending that you might be missing out on. It's an interesting thing to consider at least.

cajunator

Banned
If' we're talking about scifi anime then Starship Operators is a really great show with regards to the actual space combat. Laser weapons are used to overheat the ships to the point that they can't vent the heat in the vacuum of space, they enemy ships die of slowly burning to death inside a boiling ship with no way to cool down. No way to detect incoming laser fire as it travels at light speed. They have to slow down to combat speed to actually be able to maneuver without splattering everyone inside due to inertia. They take fire from a railgun at 900,000km away

Story isn't all that but I watched it for the battles

And of course, Planetes is the most accurate space anime ever made and probably ever will be made

Just the fact they de-orbited debris by firing thusters on a retrograde instead of firing it towards the earth like most shows would do gave me a semi chub

Starship operators is pretty interesting for hard sci fi buffs. I quite liked its attempts at realism and avoiding the typical space adventure trappings. Its worth a watch.
Planetes is definitely my favorite of the two.

You spoke down on Yuki Yuna and Kancolle. Now you're talking down on Diebuster? If you weren't a fellow Type-Moon I'd have you on my bite list!

wan wan wan~

You really have embraced this role. I wish you could keep that avatar. So adorable.

Hmm. Interesting style. Likely watch.

Jarmel

Banned
I posted about this before but I think there's another element to the ending that you might be missing out on. It's an interesting thing to consider at least.

Yea I've heard the theory, actually even before finishing the show. It would explain the time slowing down as Yuna swings the sword. That said, if they were going to go down that route then I don't see why they wouldn't spell it out clearly to the audience.

Yea I've heard the theory, actually even before finishing the show. It would explain the time slowing down as Yuna swings the sword. That said, if they were going to go down that route then I don't see why they wouldn't spell it out clearly to the audience.

I suppose we will find out in the next chapter. I'm assuming those BD sales guarantee that they are going to work on another season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 13:

A new year, a new cour, a new OP and ED. Shirobako is back and it is a excellent as ever. It might be standing even taller in a season that has been marked with mediocre debuts. Anyway, some of the old guard are gone and thus Aoi Miyamori gets to step up to the role of head producer. As somebody who works in media production I can certain relate to this workload though thankful at nowhere near that level of intensity. I still want to slam Tarou's head into the copy machine until he is a bloody mess as he manages to fail ever upwards. I do like we see the appreciable difference in adapting a work already at this early stage and that production committee meeting seemed ominous. Midori Imai also seems to be making unexpected strides as a research assistant and I would bet diamonds to Donkin Donuts that Shizuka Sakaki will be lading a role on the Ariel Girls show. Yes, capital job all around and you really should be watching this program.

Taruranto

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

*9,588 *3 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
*8,592 *3 Psycho-Pass Season 2 [BD+DVD] 
*7,912 *2 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*7,732 *2 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD] 
*6,299 *2 SHIROBAKO [BD] 
*5,324 *2 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
*5,161 *2 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,198 *2 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*3,850 *3 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,540 *2 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD]
*2,948 *2 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]  
*1,755 *2 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD] 
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika AVENGING BATTLE [BD] 
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD] 
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD] 
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD] 

Source with some updated numbers in the comments.

So, Free still the most sold Kyoani show after K-ON, eh.

I wonder if it means they'll try another fujoshi-oriented show again?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
so in random news...
steam is hosting an anime game sale.

man just a few years ago there wasn't really any anime games on steam, it's nice to see something like this and the progress they are making on steam.

x-post from VN thread:

Almost bought Sakura Spirit on Steam VN sale before I read it is only like 2hrs long, bullet dodged.

I did pick up World End Economica though.

Curse you Steam. The last VN I played through was Katawa Shojou and now I have like 3 others in my backlog including Steins;Gate.

Jarmel

Banned
Your Lie in April-12

Still as melodramatic as ever. That mother drama still there is annoying as fuck. That kid is going to get wrecked though.

Like can we please move on past Kousei wanting to hatefuck his mother?

jbug617

Banned
Your Lie in April 12

The new OP is ok but I will miss Goose House. Really surprise that the Gala concert happens this soon.
I think my fears is going to happen. she is going to die towards the end of the show. The ED is basically Kaori crying lying in water.

Saekano - 00

AxCLJ1H.jpg

A likable tsundere so far. But stop bullying her she is childhood friend so I naturally must root for her!

Typical harem anime except setting is a high school comic circle. Amusing enough first episode with nice enough visuals to make me want to continue on with it.

~wan

Shirobako 13
The new cour is starting with a lot of change. Kind of a big promotion for Miyamori and a pretty different look in making an anime. Looks like all the girls seem to come together for the new production.

Military 1
Cute and short. A bit funny but rushed for the jokes to have impact

Taruranto

Puella Magi MANdoka #1

This show is DEEPer than the average LN.

Eh, I dunno. Once you get past the "they are magical... boys!" novelty it's kinda meh. Production values look bad and character design is kinda ugly (Green>>>the rest)

Also did I spot Utena in there.

Isn't Haruhi second after K-On?

Is it? I have no idea. Forgot about Haruhi.

Shirobako - 13

Simply continues to be great.

Shigatsu - 12

Oh no, poor MC still can't hear the notes; I for one would be glad if I could hear or read this dialogue anymore. Enough is enough. It no longer has the great OP anyways so I'll finally drop it. The direction is pretty strong at times but the writing, my god. Still not giving the slightest fuck about the characters either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom