• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Uh just watched an episode of Cross Ange.

What happened to Sunrise? ;.;

Is this normal or have I been out of the loop?

fertygo

Shirobako - 13

The manga publisher side is shady as fuck, they seem not give a F as long the anime got made.. can't wait till the story more fleshed out. this gonna get good.

jbug617

Banned
New player coming into the US market

Pony Canyon is going to release Denki-Gai and Yuki Yuna is a Hero in NA. They signed an exclusive deal with RS and the shows will be released on "Collector's Grade" DVD and Bluray. Both coming out April 10th.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...enki-gai-no-honya-san-in-north-america/.83061

Here is RS post on it.

Right Stuf, Inc. is excited to announce an exclusive distribution deal with Japanese anime producer and distributor PONY CANYON INC.

This new agreement will see high-end, collector-grade Blu-ray, DVD, and merchandise items from Pony Canyon distributed in the United States and Canada for the first time by Right Stuf. Pony Canyon has plans to release exclusive sets of new and catalog programming monthly. The first of these series sets are slated for release on April 10, 2015.

Right Stuf's President and CEO Shawne Kleckner couldn't be more excited about this new arrangement. "We're delighted to work with Pony Canyon, one of the leading marketers of Japanese animation," Kleckner said. "We feel their collector-grade products will be of great interest to our customer base."

PONY CANYON INC.'s Executive Director Kazuyoshi Fukuba is also enthusiastic about this collaboration and the launch of PONYCAN in the North American market. "I am pleased to be working with Right Stuf, the top US distributor of Japanese anime online, to offer anime titles by Pony Canyon directly to US customers. We'll launch this exciting project with the release of Blu-rays of Yuki Yuna Is a Hero and Denki-Gai on April 10, 2015. All US-version releases will be supervised by Japanese producers who will ensure the highest-quality and the most unique products. We also plan to offer special promotional bonuses to our US anime fans. We look forward to bringing Pony Canyon anime to the US!"

Pony Canyon's new releases will encompass series that have never been available in North America, and will be available exclusively from Right Stuf. The first titles, Yuki Yuna Is a Hero and Denki-Gai will be available for pre-order sales starting soon on www.rightstuf.com and www.ponycan.us.
http://www.rightstuf.com/site/main/news/individual/FT0000007513.html

Jesus Christ. There were three cool youtubers there and two of them were the asian dudes. The third was that brunette who didn't immediately dismiss it and thought it was cool and had a deeper meaning.

I fucking love the turn around in opinion when the Fine Bros told them about the deeper meaning.

"Oh my god it was all boobs boobs boobs, there was no deeper meaning they're reaching!"

*tells them one of the theories*

"You know it really is a topic that needs to be discussed, bla bla bla, I think I might have to watch it again WOW SO DEEP SO GOOD"

AOTY Confirmed.

Truly the EVA of our time. "I respect what they're saying. I just don't like cartoons."

Probably the most genuine douchebaggy guy haha oh Shane Dawson, his opinion didn't flip flop. He knew from the beginning that there's some deeper meaning but stuck with his guns that cartoons are for kids LAWL

Thoraxes

Oh my god.

What happened to your face? It's kind of cute.
gao gao~

Pony Canyon is going to release Denki-Gai and Yuki Yuna is a Hero in NA. They signed an exclusive deal with RS and the shows will be released on "Collector's Grade" DVD and Bluray. Both coming out April 10th.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...enki-gai-no-honya-san-in-north-america/.83061
Very interesting. I may buy just to support their entry into the market.

Also a fantastic turnaround time. That alone is great.

Mr.Jeff

No Houki is shit.

But Becky is good.
Same terrible characters cut from the same bad cloth.

Without Becky around, Cinque/Shinku could be having a good time, fluffing all dem tails. Instead he has to deal with boring unresolved drama with a shit childhood friend. Zzzzz. Maybe she'll be killed off in S3.

cajunator

Banned
Morio Asaka? I'm there for this day one.

Although I guess this also means a longer wait until a new season of Chihayafuru comes along.

The Chihayafuru affiliation has my attention. Particularly Madhouse. Sounds promising.

KanColle: 01

Yeah... thanks but no thanks. Not my cup of tea to be honest. Didn't really hook me into watching any more episodes of it.

Ill watch it but Im not super into it either. Just not too excited by Kancolle in general though I appreciate the cuteness and real history of naval warfare.

Damn, Saekano looks super interesting.

im so going to mix this up with Saikano

Saekano: hmmmm, which girl is which member in animegaf. Literally first thing that came to mind when the dialogue started.

Oh man. Now Im sold. Totally going to do this.

Has anyone else tried out the Crunchyroll Wii U app? I think it works great.

Yeah. It works pretty well!

Jesus Christ. There were three cool youtubers there and two of them were the asian dudes. The third was that brunette who didn't immediately dismiss it and thought it was cool and had a deeper meaning.

Probably the most genuine douchebaggy guy haha oh Shane Dawson, his opinion didn't flip flop. He knew from the beginning that there's some deeper meaning but stuck with his guns that cartoons are for kids LAWL

The blond dude and two of the three brunettes were terrible. The brunette that you mention was cool, though, I agree.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Here is RS post on it.

So their shit is going to be like Aniplex levels of expensive?

Yuki Yuna-fin

So now for the ending, I see why people had issues with it. I do. The problem is many writers don't take the time to both establish the rules of the 'game' before they subvert it. That's something Urobuchi did extremely well in Madoka Magica, in that he took a lot of time to explain how and why everything worked the way it did. If you don't take the time to set up these rules, then when you subvert them, it comes off as a deus ex machina as the audience themselves establish their own rules that might conflict with the creators. YYY never set up a series of regulations about the Shinju so the 2nd half does come off as a deus ex machina despite it clearly being a case of mismatched expectations between those of the creators and the audience.
Now I'm not saying that it's the audience's fault for believing the Shinju is a hungry motherfucker and gobbling up body parts. The show clearly wants you to believe that the loss of body parts is permanent. However in the end, it's clear that the rules are something like Jumanji (the Robin Williams movie for the kids reading this post, which is good btw). The effects of the game are permanent if you don't clear the game. It's clear that nobody had a full understanding of the rules, even inside the show, which led to the series of misunderstandings culminating in episode 10.
So in this regard, the show's drama is all about there being a communication issue, not so much from people talking but from a lack of information. In this manner, it is sort of bullshit as the audience and characters are being led on.

All of that said, I'm actually sort of fine with the ending. The reason being is that the show doesn't betray the tone it had. The earlier parts of the show, as mentioned earlier, are fairly light hearted despite all the foreshadowing.
The ending keeps in tone with the earlier part of the show, rather than the latter half. I remember reading that some people felt betrayed about the ending and how happy it is, but I would say that they forgot the initial episodes.
A key component for any good ending is that it is consistent in tone with the earlier parts of the show itself. That's why so many people were howling about Madoka Magica's ending in that despite it being bittersweet, it still stuck out as too happy compared to the pitch black suffering earlier in the series.

So putting all of this together, I feel like it's both better and worse than Madoka Magica's ending. It's nowhere near as well set up but it's also more in line with the show. Now two things I do find indefensible are
Karen coming back to help the Hero Club out despite her being deaf and blind and Yuna's fainting at the play. Yuna fainting is a cheap 'gotcha' moment where the audience starts to freak out that Yuna's disabilities are coming back, when the show has no intention whatsoever on carrying through with that notion.

Going back to the work as a whole, I feel like people saying that it's a Madoka Magica ripoff, aren't doing the show justice. The work is clearly, and I mean clearly, inspired by Madoka Magica but it's also it's own thing with a different message, theme, and tone. Seiji Kishi wanted to do his own take on Madoka and the resulting work is an interesting project on its own. The show has its flaws but it was a fun magical girl watch.
I actually agree with your review of the show .

Yuna fainting is nothing more than a way out if they need to do more. She was established as the one with the most potential , so it would be a easy way to continue the franchise by leaving some stuff "open" just in case.

Karen went mankai , one doesn't under estimate someone who has trained her whole life for this.
Even if it was sudden , it was still cool, so it's alright.

Yea I've heard the theory, actually even before finishing the show. It would explain the time slowing down as Yuna swings the sword. That said, if they were going to go down that route then I don't see why they wouldn't spell it out clearly to the audience.

Leaving hints to get people speculating is sometimes more effective , especially if you want the freedom to write what you want should an S2 arrives.

The blond dude and two of the three brunettes were terrible. The brunette that you mention was cool, though, I agree.

For the record I get that anime isn't for everybody and I'm not insulted, but for entertainers in recorded media you would think they'd be more willing to not dismiss something for shallow reasons when chances are some of them have to deal with that on a day to day basis.

zulux21

gao gao~

Very interesting. I may buy just to support their entry into the market.

Also a fantastic turnaround time. That alone is great.

I had a similar reaction, and then I looked at the shows they were bringing over and quickly realized I wouldn't pay $5 for them let alone what they will charge so I likely won't be supporting them right away.

I then looked up what pony had in general, and of all the projects they have ever worked on there is only a single one that hasn't already been released in english that I saw that I would actually be interested in getting... and it was actually half released in english already.

I would totally buy a second half release of Kodomo no Omocha, so ideally they release that at some point, at which point I will likely support them. (and to be fair I don't even know if they own the rights to that I just know they worked on it)

Sounds expensive.

indeed. Ideally it will be more affordable than aniplex stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Cowboy Bebop probably has the most realized and full science fiction setting in anime. It's also just beautiful to behold in all of its dirty analog glory.

But outside of Bebop, Magnetic Rose is probably my number one.

Magnetic Rose is only one part of Memories but it was pretty realistic.

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

*9,588 *3 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
*8,592 *3 Psycho-Pass Season 2 [BD+DVD] 
*7,912 *2 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*7,732 *2 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD] 
*6,299 *2 SHIROBAKO [BD] 
*5,324 *2 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
*5,161 *2 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,198 *2 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*3,850 *3 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,540 *2 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD]
*2,948 *2 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]  
*1,755 *2 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD] 
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika AVENGING BATTLE [BD] 
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD] 
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD] 
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD] 

Source with some updated numbers in the comments.

Yuuki Yuuna domination :O

I am legit shocked by this outcome. Really expected Amagi to trump everything. Also go Shirobako!

The test has been failed.

We don't deserve Shirobako or Reconguista in G if it's going to be outsold by shit like Amagi Brilliant Park, Cross Ange or Psycho Pass.

What do you mean "we"?

For the record I get that anime isn't for everybody and I'm not insulted, but for entertainers in recorded media you would think they'd be more willing to not dismiss something for shallow reasons when chances are some of them have to deal with that on a day to day basis.

Yes, I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you. It isn't for everybody, but at least respect it a bit.

Military! 01

tNrksBA.jpg

Cute girls doing cute military things. As if I'm not going to watch this.

wan wan~

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Golden Boy 2

They sure don't make anime like this anymore.

I had a similar reaction, and then I looked at the shows they were bringing over and quickly realized I wouldn't pay $5 for them let alone what they will charge so I likely won't be supporting them right away.

Hm... Is that first season of Free still unlicensed for disc release or did somebody pick it up? Maybe they'll release that?

zulux21

Hm... Is that first season of Free still unlicensed for disc release or did somebody pick it up? Maybe they'll release that?

didn't funimation get that?
could of sworn I saw them spamming stuff about jonny bosh and vic migwhateverthehellhislastnameis having roles in the english dub of free.

Vito

Banned
Interesting:

RIGHT STUF, Inc. Announces Exclusive Distribution Deal with PONY CANYON, INC.

GRIMES, IA, January 8, 2015 — Anime producer and distributor Right Stuf, Inc. is excited to announce an exclusive distribution deal with Japanese anime producer and distributor PONY CANYON INC.

This new agreement will see high-end, collector-grade Blu-ray, DVD, and merchandise items from Pony Canyon distributed in the United States and Canada for the first time by Right Stuf. Pony Canyon has plans to release exclusive sets of new and catalog programming monthly. The first of these series sets are slated for release on April 10.

Right Stuf’s President and CEO Shawne Kleckner couldn’t be more excited about this new arrangement. “We’re delighted to work with Pony Canyon, one of the leading marketers of Japanese animation,” Kleckner said. “We feel their collector-grade products will be of great interest to our customer base.”

PONY CANYON INC.’s Executive Director Kazuyoshi Fukuba is also enthusiastic about this collaboration and the launch of PONYCAN in the North American market. “I am pleased to be working with Right Stuf, the top US distributor of Japanese anime online, to offer anime titles by Pony Canyon directly to US customers. We’ll launch this exciting project with the release of Blu-rays of YUKI YUNA IS A HERO and DENKI-GAI on April 10, 2015. All US-version releases will be supervised by Japanese producers who will ensure the highest-quality and the most unique products. We also plan to offer special promotional bonuses to our US anime fans. We look forward to bringing Pony Canyon anime to the US!”

Pony Canyon’s new releases will encompass series that have never been available in North America, and will be available exclusively from Right Stuf. The first titles, YUKI YUNA IS A HERO and DENKI-GAI will be available for pre-order sales starting soon on www.rightstuf.com and www.ponycan.us.

cajunator

Banned
you underestimate the power of kyoani waifus

People often do. The music anime will probably be a big hit. But who knows really?

Yeah that's exactly right. Normally you reserve the slow music/slow paced sequence for the ending credits to help the audience unwind. Quite the odd choice.

Theres quite a lot of anime with slow sounding OPs. Spice and Wolf is a good example. The ED is way more upbeat and OP like imo. Always seemed kind of weird.

Oh my god. The Planetes Moon Ninja episode.

Lol yes. That episode was silly but the show took a much different tone later so it was a nice moment of levity. I like it but many people really seemed to hate it.

Clov

Here is RS post on it.

Sounds like they're going the Aniplex route. The better quality they offer, the more I'll appreciate them. I'm willing to support them, but I don't really want to buy either of those titles. I'll wait until they have something I'm interested in.

The home video rights to season 1 of Free actually belong to... Crunchyroll. Funimation is likely trying to work out a deal with them, but who knows how that will go.

Shirobako 13

590402780e.jpg

I totally forgot they actually call her that.

I like the new OP, but I think it's not done yet. New ED is great too.

This show never fails to put a big dumb smile on my face and I fucking love it. There's an entire discussion on clouds and it was GREAT.

Looks like some side characters will be getting development this arc.
That "funny story" editor guy reminded me of fucking Maeno from Nozaki-kun.

Thoraxes

Same terrible characters cut from the same bad cloth.

Without Becky around, Cinque/Shinku could be having a good time, fluffing all dem tails. Instead he has to deal with boring unresolved drama with a shit childhood friend. Zzzzz. Maybe she'll be killed off in S3.
He gets around having fuwa fuwa time even with her there.

But that being said, if I were a villain in the twintails show, my affinity would be the childhood friend.

It's in my nature to like Becky.

I still don't know which girl I like the best in the series, at least not yet. I really think they're all good.

Shirobako 13

Great start for the new arc. Like how we got a look at original anime production with the first cour and now we are going to see how ongoing manga adaptation are made.

He gets around having fuwa fuwa time even with her there.

But that being said, if I were a villain in the twintails show, my affinity would be the childhood friend.

It's in my nature to like Becky.

I still don't know which girl I like the best in the series, at least not yet. I really think they're all good.
E8zoWhD.gif

~wan

cajunator

Banned
Uh just watched an episode of Cross Ange.

What happened to Sunrise? ;.;

Is this normal or have I been out of the loop?

Sunrise has always made some crazy shit. They have leeway to make what they want.

Here is RS post on it.

THIS IS HUGE NEWS
Aria and Utena blurays whennnnnnnnnn?
Also they chose two fantastic shows to release first!
*throws money at Rightstuf...errr more of it

Yuri Kuma Arashi 1

The music was pretty good, as expected from Ikuhara directing Yukari Hashimoto.

Otherwise it honestly wasn't that interesting. The visual charisma isn't strong enough - Penguindrum was much better in this regard. The art design is fine, if I'm not super fond of the color scheme, but the character designs and art are kind of bland. Meanwhile the writing is using a lot of jargon and not bothering to flesh out the characters beyond establishing how yuri everybody is, so I can't bring myself to care about Sumika's fate.

I'm kind of curious to see where the story is going to go though, and the theme of invisibility - the invisible storm, being invisible vs. being part of the herd - interests me, so I'll keep watching for now.

Himemiya

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 5

This show is a pretty sci-fi sol, and I'm liking the music lately too. But this ep is Ledo-service leading to really bad trans jokes for too long of its runtime.

Pooya

Xam'd 5-6

It was going fine till episode 6, lmao at the blunt stupid dialog.

I don't like your hair, it looks like my late mom's.

-Fasten your seatbelt!
-There isn't one! (there isn't even a seat to begin with)

-I'm so glad you said you're taking the test with me
-I'm taking it to get out of the island and find Akiyuki (you NTRd fool, you never had a chance anyway, born with that loser guy face )

-Sounds like a long story, I sit down!

*After dramatic monster breakout* who wins the race, tortoise or hare. wtf

ahahaha, the episode was so good(bad)!

Only music remains good, every other quality it had in the beginning pretty much evaporated :(

Verder

Im excited as hell for the Psycho Pass movie since season 2 kinda abruptly ended.

Tokyo Ghoul : Route A

his outfit goes hard.
The song right before the ending was better than both the OP/ED

Veitsev

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 5

This show is a pretty sci-fi sol, and I'm liking the music lately too. But this ep is Ledo-service leading to really bad trans jokes for too long of its runtime.

You aren't the first to have a problem with that episode. Fortunately that kind of humor ends there. Somewhat of an out of place misfire for that series.

2014 Fall Preliminary First Volume Sales

*9,588 *3 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru [BD+DVD] 
*8,592 *3 Psycho-Pass Season 2 [BD+DVD] 
*7,912 *2 Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu [BD+DVD] 
*7,732 *2 Amagi Brilliant Park [BD+DVD] 
*6,299 *2 SHIROBAKO [BD] 
*5,324 *2 Gundam G no Reconguista [BD+DVD] 
*5,161 *2 Gugure! Kokkuri-san [BD+DVD] 
*4,198 *2 Grisaia no Kajitsu [BD+DVD] 
*3,850 *3 Trinity Seven [BD+DVD] 
*3,540 *2 Madan no Ou to Vanadis [BD+DVD]
*2,948 *2 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. [BD+DVD] 
---------- Manabi Line (2,899) ----------
*1,882 *2 Terraformars [BD+DVD]  
*1,755 *2 Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de [BD] 
*1,188 *2 Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls [BD] 
*1,114 *2 Hitsugi no Chaika AVENGING BATTLE [BD] 
**,956 *2 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai [BD] 
**,746 *1 Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji [BD+DVD] 
**,622 *1 Denkigai no Honya-san [BD] 
**,464 *1 Gundam Build Fighters Try [BD-BOX+DVD] 
**,419 *1 Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete [BD] 

Source with some updated numbers in the comments.

*71,081 Gundam SEED Vol.1 [DVD]

*80,635 Gundam SEED Destiny Vol.1 [DVD]

*50,631 Gundam 00 Vol.1 [DVD+BD]

*2,343 Gundam Age Vol.1 [BD]

*5,324 Gundam G no Reconguista Vol.1 [BD+DVD] 

At least it did better than Age....

Clov

Sunrise has always made some crazy shit. They have leeway to make what they want.

THIS IS HUGE NEWS
Aria and Utena blurays whennnnnnnnnn?
Also they chose two fantastic shows to release first!
*throws money at Rightstuf...errr more of it

You're misunderstanding; this isn't RightStuf releasing their own BDs. This is Pony Canyon distributing their BDs through RightStuf.

Reconguista in G 15

2168bc3848.jpg

Priorities

Did Mick have a beam chainsaw? Did Klim Nick have a beam straight razor?

Bellri sure is worried about his enemies. What a nice guy. lol at him being so persistent saying he's still with the Capital Guard and not with the Amerian army. It seemed like he was awakening some Newtype powers, and Rockpie said "Do they have one of those legendary Newtypes with them" which means of course they do.

That preview tho -
They straight up spoil that Aida and Bellri are siblings rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom