• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yatterman Night 01

This one caught me by surprise. I never watched anything related to Yatterman so this wasn't on my radar, but when I decided to watch it on a whim I was taken aback by how much I loved it. The tone this show seems to be going for is similar to Casshern Sins, which is to take a classic property intended for children and modernize it for a more mature audience, but while Casshern was soulcrushingly grim, this show still managed to retain the cartoony aspect of the show its based on. While it is rather silly at times, its also quite touching with the characters interactions and their attempts to make the best of a bad situation for Leopard's sake, which ultimately ends in sadness all around. The animation is appropriately fast and kinetic with some impressive work done on both the serious action and the slapstick humor. This really reminds me a lot of Gurren Lagann in some ways, lets hope the show can rake up to the crazy levels of that show.

Jex

[Death Parade] - 2

As much as I'm not a fan of how much recycled footage there was this episode, it actually helped to solve a number of problems with the initial episode. Given all the information presented here it actually makes the first episode better because the direction and acting of the characters now actually matches the story we saw! What's interesting is that
the person who judged incorrectly was not the audience, realising Machinko was lying at the end to protect her husband. It was Decim, who bought her 'act' that she was in the wrong. His judgement was wrong.

They do, wisely, leave open the question of when she had the affair. The 'Assistants' interpretation of the events, couples with the new scenes we see, seem to suggesta pretty clear timeline of their relationship.

It's interesting that the 'Arbiters' are not perfect because they aren't given perfect knowledge, just a jumble.
Death Parade 2
Yeah, this type of episode felt really unnecessary. I hope they don't continue to spell every single thing out like this in the future.

Well I don't think they will go to through such a lengthy process in the future because this episode served a pretty clear purpose e.g. saving as much money as humanly possible because the first episode looked ridiculously good.

I think it's also pretty clear from our lengthy conversation last week that quite a few issues really needed to be solved. For example, the interpretation of the 'Void' as being something positive was completely destroyed this episode.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 26

B7fisE1IAAAmdYJ.png

It is CLEARLY NOT

I actually kind of like the OP song now. The worst of the songs, but it has the best visuals.
I cannot wait for the next fight. I didn't really expect them to do Thoth's ability in an animated form, so just having it be still image manga pages is fine.

Death Parade - 02

So, do they just do this for fun or is there some greater purpose behind this? Wonder if that'll get tackled too. Considering that these arbiters apparently can be mistaken and it's their judgment call it feels rather wrong, well, if the entire concept weren't messed up to begin with.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
good man firehawk, your good taste is showing. Except for not liking Interstellar, you fuck.

All right gonna watch Death Parade. And also catch up with S5 of Justified since I missed it.
I'll say one thing about Shirobako. At least it's better than Interstellar.
lol

And S5 of Justified is a complete mess. It's almost worth skipping.

Theonik

Well I don't think they will go to through such a lengthy process in the future because this episode served a pretty clear purpose e.g. saving as much money as humanly possible because the first episode looked ridiculously good.

I think it's also pretty clear from our lengthy conversation last week that quite a few issues really needed to be solved. For example, the interpretation of the 'Void' as being something positive was completely destroyed this episode.
To be honest though, as sloppy as the first episode was, there was no real base for some of the interpretations it got, and while it was excusable to miss things, (especially the bed scene because funimation is incompetent) the interpretation of the void was really dumb and nonsensical reaching.

Death Parade 2

So yeah, the Void ain't something good. Buddhism wrecked.

Just makes this sit less right with me. Decim fucked up. Ah well, still interesting to an extent.

Jex

To be honest though, as sloppy as the first episode was, there was no real base for some of the interpretations it got, and while it was excusable to miss things, (especially the bed scene because funimation is incompetent) the interpretation of the void was really dumb and nonsensical reaching.

Sure, but in an any absence of information people are forced to draw their own conclusions! I don't think there's anything wrong with speculation.

Still, now that both episode 1 and 2 are out it's pretty clear that episode 1 isn't something you're supposed to take in isolation. Episodes 1 and 2 form a complete picture, therefore episode 1 is actually far less 'sloppy' with this added information we've gained. Things were confusing by design and the audiences reading of the character reactions were correct.

Also, Funimation dropped the ball in both the bed scene and the subtitles from the ED credits.

Clov

Oh did they do their Funimation podcast? Any other news?

Some little things, but nothing amazing. Apparently the Bayonetta movie sold very well for them; HAL and Index/Railgun did very poorly. Mirai Nikki did poorly, but they'll still be doing a BD set for it. No update on Eva 3.33. They confirmed that they only have the streaming rights to that magical boy anime, and have no idea what Pony Canyon USA has for it. Nothing very interesting.

Edit: On a unrelated note, RightStuf picked up Sketchbook: Full Colors and is giving it a DVD release. I watched this recently and really enjoyed it. Kate was a pretty amazing character.

Theonik

Sure, but in an any absence of information people are forced to draw their own conclusions! I don't think there's anything wrong with speculation.

Still, now that both episode 1 and 2 are out it's pretty clear that episode 1 isn't something you're supposed to take in isolation. Episodes 1 and 2 form a complete picture, therefore episode 1 is actually far less 'sloppy' with this added information we've gained. Things were confusing by design and the audiences reading of the character reactions were correct.

Also, Funimation dropped the ball in both the bed scene and the subtitles from the ED credits.
Speculation in an absence of information only makes sense when you use speculation to fill in the void rather than deliberately ignore things to fit your theories! And yes of course you are right, seeing the second episode you can see how the two episodes were meant to function together, and it made me respect the direction of the first episode a lot more in context. I suppose this just highlights once again the flaws of episode impressions.
Actually I thought doing things this way was pretty bold and interesting in hindsight.

And sure I said it was one of the ways Funimation screwed up, you could make a laundry list.

Death Parade 2

So yeah, the Void ain't something good. Buddhism wrecked.
Like I said last week, the Buddhism theories had no real ground to stand on, as they were really reaching and not aligned with actual Buddhist interpretation of afterlife.

Stiens;Gate 17

Well that felt a bit rushed. Honestly, I feel like they took out some info about
Faris' backstory with her father
. It doesn't help that she really doesn't appear outside of episodes related to her.

At least
getting back the IBN 5100 is closer.

cajunator

Banned
Stiens;Gate 17

Well that felt a bit rushed. Honestly, I feel like they took out some info about
Faris' backstory with her father
. It doesn't help that she really doesn't appear outside of episodes related to her.

At least
getting back the IBN 5100 is closer.

I love Faris so much, especially her seiyuu, Halko. But ultimately she wasnt a very important character. I still want figurines of her!

Crocodile

Death Parade 2

I'm really curious as to who these people are and who exactly they work for. Are they angels or some other servant of God? Where did the new assistant come from? Was she formally human, died and somehow as given this job?

Also Nona kind of rules :p

Death Parade 2
Yeah, this type of episode felt really unnecessary. I hope they don't continue to spell every single thing out like this in the future.

Given the paragraphs upon paragraphs of conflicting interpretations derived from the previous episode in this thread, I disagree with this sentiment. This episode basically fixed many of the issues I, and many others, had with the first episode and was a fascinating behind the scenes look at how they operate. The fact that the arbiters aren't omniscient, work off imperfect information and can be WRONG are huge revelations. Episode 2 retroactively makes episode 1 better.

That said, it would be unnecessary if they did "what was really going on" extension episode for each case but this was clearly an episode set up to get both the new assistant and us (the audience) up to speed in how they run things.

Jex

[Death Parade]
Like I said last week, the Buddhism theories had no real ground to stand on, as they were really reaching and not aligned with actual Buddhist interpretation of afterlife.

I'm not entirely ready to leave ol' Buddha in the dirt yet. Consider, that while the nice, shiny symbol of this 'zone' or 'space' is the shield:

dp259uoak.jpg

There's a far older symbol carved on the rock before the elevator:

dp24nmo0q.jpg

Hey, for all we know at some point it could be revealed that
there'll be some weird twist at the end and the Arbiters were also being judged all along!!!

Opening: Downgrade from the previous OP's. Doesn't mean it isn't an okay song on its own.
Ending: Not as catchy as TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME. However, I do really like the song and consider it to be my favorite ED of the new year for right now.

New season and I already like Shinra's (and eventually Celty's) newly introduced Mama.

She and Papa Shinra complement each other so well.

Rest was okay as an "Welcome back to Ikebukuro" episode.

Would have liked to have seen more of best character Shizuo.

Death Parade - 02
An episode that take another approach to the same events in order to fruther enhance the universe it is building ...
I feel that this was much needed.

I'm a little disapointed that the arbiter can make mistakes , but overall decim did fall in the trap machy left ..and that's a good thing for this anime as , i hope the decision each arbiter will have to take will matter in some way.

The train sequence in the end , does give us a idea of the world building that has started , hopefully , we'll have plenty of episodes to understand what the heck is going on and how this stuff is regulated.

In short that episode was absolutely needed . It answers quite a lot of things from episode 1 and open a whole bunch of new question seeing as now that it's clear that a same event can be seen differently since the actions in the bar do influence the outcome.

Can't wait for next week.

Ps: i agree with the end.
The fact that he couldn't trust her meant that something like that would have happenned at any time.Even if he was indeed right to not trust her since she did cheat

Theonik

[Death Parade]
I'm not entirely ready to leave ol' Buddha in the dirt yet. Consider, that while the nice, shiny symbol of this 'zone' or 'space' is the shield:

dp259uoak.jpg

There's a far older symbol carved on the rock before the elevator:

dp24nmo0q.jpg

Hey, for all we know at some point it could be revealed that
I know, I was going to mention that. I was strictly talking about the arguments presented not being consistent with Buddhism, though of course they can borrow ideas from any religious frame they like and take whatever creative liberties they like. I really have no clue! Which is why I decided not to dwell on that point too much.

BluWacky

Like I said: it costs nothing and incurs absolutely no risk to just change the names.

Zenyatta Mondatta isn't any better, though. It's the name of The Police's 3rd album - it's still a music reference. It smacks of over-localisation - Zenyatta Mondatta is gibberish but sounds Japanese, whereas Oingo Boingo is gibberish but sounds English, perhaps. But then I don't watch JoJo so have no idea of the context.

Death Parade 02

I'm not sure why this episode was needed? Most of the stuff we are told can be inferred, and to make it worse they just do it over the first episode. I don't see why this couldn't have been one episode, or at least a new game this one. At least we got an explanation for Heaven/Hell Rebirth/Void, I guess.
I am kind of interested in how this world works, though. Seems there is a pecking order and the tinier girl is the boss of Decim/Ginko, whatever we are calling him?

Gintama 043

Don't listen in on people speaking about you, you won't like what they say...

Or what they don't say, same thing. Everybody wants to be the new heroine, there's lots of new catchphrases and the beginning of the next episode as well.

Clov

If there is one thing I remember about Dandy conversation while it was airing, it was that this episode has terrible animation!

What you should remember is that those who say things like that generally don't know what good animation is in the first place.

Reknoc

Death Parade 2

Hope you got all the exposition out of your system Death Parade, dunno if I needed that much from you. Though, I do like how they did it as an alternative look at ep1.

Was the OP subbed last time? I don't recall it being so. Still, subbed or not you're going to have a hard time convincing me that the lyrics after "Everybody put your hands up" isn't "suffer lightly, just lean on it".

Assassination classroom - 02
Follows the manga closely .

So far so good.

It's nice to see those student powerless now compared to the last time i saw them in the last manga chapter... makes a nice gap.

Also all those plots preps for later ... can't wait untill they start blooming for maximum enjoyment.

Crocodile

Did they use Sakuga in episode 16 of Dandy?

They used it in like every episode of the show. Space Dandy, overall, has to be one of the best animated TV anime ever or at least in recent memory.

The definition of "Sakuga" is a bit nebulous but its best to think of it, at least amongst the Western anime fandom, as high quality animation distinctive and evocative of the individual animator(s) that produced it.

faridmon

Opening: Downgrade from the previous OP's. Doesn't mean it isn't an okay song on its own.
Ending: Not as catchy as TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME. However, I do really like the song and consider it to be my favorite ED of the new year for right now.

One of my favorite tracks in an ending ever. Too bad, its the artist only decent song. The album really such balls!

Death Parade 02

I enjoyed this episode merely because it re-enforced what I thought to be true of the couple.
She did in fact bang another guy after they got engaged, as to how many times that happened who knows. I had thought the bed scene in episode one was obvious enough but clearly others weren't convinced which kinda backs up my belief this episode was needed to explain things so the viewer has a better base to go on from now on in regards to the 'games'. Interesting to find out that the arbitors can in fact make mistakes and be deceived by the acting on the part of the dead couples. In a way it'll raise the stakes for the viewers because they know that Arbitors may be fooled. I also find it interesting Nona's comments at the end suggest that perhaps Takashi should have been sent to the void instead for his inability to trust people in the first place, though that seem like a harsh judgment on a character flaw like that considering he was right not to trust her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom