• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

So during the ANNCast for 1/16/2015, ANN conducted an interview with Funimation and a moderator over at Fandom Post who goes by the name WTK summarized the whole thing. Some interesting things here:
Some of the notes:
  • Biggest 2014 release: DBZ Battle of Gods (sold better than Attack on Titan and Cowboy Bebop)
  • Bayonetta: Bloody Fate sold very well
  • Small/mid-range titles: Devil is a Part-Timer!, Deadman Wonderland , PSYCHO-PASS, High School DxD NEW
  • Fairy Tail sales still driving

• Underperforming titles: HAL, A Certain Magical Index (high streaming #s), A Certain Scientific Railgun (high streaming #s); did Index S2 on BD based on fan feedback
  • The Future Diary DVD didn't do well; Blu-ray coming (possibly late summer)

• Which show gets LE? A: Based on audience and materials (artwork/assets).
  • Cowboy Bebop another LE version down the line? A: no reprint of LEs, another version may not be out of the question in future

• things to look forward in 2015: Space Dandy, more updates on FUNimation.com streaming service/apps
  • PS4 app: early 2015

• Broadcast dub: chosing Laughing Under the Cloud - different genre & promising
  • Broadcast dub (more coming this winter season - still finalizing details) - success (immediate subscription increase after announcement launch)

• Eva 3.33: no official release date but should be later in 2015; reason is still the same:
  • Eva TV BD: no comment (Rojas), hoping (Adam)
  • Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! rights? A: can only confirm what was announced (streaming); can't confirm what rights PONYCAN USA has
  • Cowboy Bebop BD why was frame rate modified? Clarine Harp (passed along to Adam): Encoding efficiency; most titles: interlace to progress
  • Download to own: stay tune (may or may not happen; has been discussed)
  • Home video release OOP doesn't automatically equate to loss of license
  • BEI license rescues: could see some later in 2015
  • Tatami Galaxy sub only home video release: no consideration so far
  • Fafner Exodus didn't get picked up; original series do well? Adam: did fine enough
  • Lain BD banding issues, fixed on future release? A (Clarine Harp, passed along to Adam): JP home video release/material has banding issues, process from FUNi that highlighted this more; no plans for re-release
  • Yamato 2199 (meant as Yamato Resurrection): may still have as far as I know, no update
  • digital copies on BD/DVD? A: discussed, no answer

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Literally, sakuga means animation.

Colloquially, sakuga refers to bits of standout animation where it's evident more time, budget and effort is being devoted to a particular scene or scenes than is the norm (talking heads vs itano circus).

So it's technically correct that Space Dandy is all sakuga and also technically correct that Space Dandy is all sakuga.

Comprende, mis amigos?

Koufuku Graffiti - 02

Good loooord. Now this is more what I expected this show to be. Kirin is still adorable as hell, melting my heart.
I just get straight up happy watching this. Sitting here with a big dumb smile on my face. In case you forgot who makes this they sure keep you reminded.
c6v0jCZ.jpg
gjTiyEV.jpg
gjTiyEV.jpg
LzVTLNC.jpg
TABERU~

cajunator

Banned
Koufuku Graffiti - 02

Good loooord. Now this is more what I expected this show to be. Kirin is still adorable as hell, melting my heart.
I just get straight up happy watching this. Sitting here with a big dumb smile on my face. In case you forgot who makes this they sure keep you reminded.

TABERU~

OMG WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS VERSION?

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGHH

Also goddamn Shaft went all out with head tilt in this episode.

Reconguista in G 16

d91827c23d.jpg

Damn that MILF Aida

The least shocking reveal of all time! They even spoiled it in the preview, lol. Too bad they didn't kiss so we can't get an awkward Luke/Leia moment. I'm sure Bellri will still say he's not part of the Amerian Army.
Lots of sudden crying this episode, like a lot. Must be something in the air.

The hell kind of suit is Bararararara using next episode? Speaking of the next episode, this has to be the best one yet.

Death Parade 2
Now that the pieces are in place, we can have a clear picture.
Not all arbiters are perfect. Sometimes mistakes can happen, for one, if you cannot tell the emotions and lies, you might just take a misstep.
Oh and getting send to the void is a no no, so there.
I am glad they did take the time to do world building this episode, as this will help piece the rules of the world itself in the anime.

Oh and best wife 2015, never forget. Fucking cruel, but I guess we will get used to it...

Reknoc

Assassination Classroom 2

Urghhhhhhhhh terrible. The extra ZANY mascot scene that doesn't make any sense in the context of anything that happened before or after it appeared and the extra ANGST that a gag series needed "is it because we're class eeeeeeeeee wahwahwah". I'd probably drop it but there's a few scenes I want to see how they handle (ruin).

Joe Molotov

Literally, sakuga means animation.

Colloquially, sakuga refers to bits standout animation where it's evident more time, budget and effort is being devoted to a particular scene or scenes than is the norm (talking heads vs itano circus).

So it's technically correct that Space Dandy is all sakuga and also technically correct that Space Dandy is all sakuga.

Comprende, mis amigos?

Gravity still has the best sakuga, tho.

Steins;Gate 18

An alright episode. The last few moments between Okabe and
a female Ruka were nice,
but like the previous episode I feel there's some info being left out of the anime.

Now we move on to
undo Moeka's D-mail... joy.

Steins;Gate 18

a female Ruka were nice,
but like the previous episode I feel there's some info being left out of the anime.

Now we move on to

What you're experiencing is a feelign remaining because you don't have a reading steiner

your only hope is to see those other routes by playing the game once you're done with the anime :)

Suen

Tokyo Ghoul A EP 1

First season was a very shitty adaptation with lots of good material cut. I was hoping the second season would be better but as soon as I saw they cut most of the
fight with Ayato
I turned it off. Not watching this shit.

Tokyo Ghoul A EP 1

First season was a very shitty adaptation with lots of good material cut. I was hoping the second season would be better but as soon as I saw they cut most of the
fight with Ayato
I turned it off. Not watching this shit.

This is an alternate route from the manga, telling a separate story. At the end Kaneki joins Aogiri, so that's probably why they skipped the bone-breaking part.

Suen

This is an alternate route from the manga, telling a separate story. At the end Kaneki joins Aogiri, so that's probably why they skipped the bone-breaking part.
All the more reason for me to skip it then. Not what I wanted, and hopefully they can make a proper adaptation based on the manga in the future.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 18

a female Ruka were nice,

Now we move on to

From what I hear, these routes are much more detailed in the game and if you want to explore more of that you should check it out.
The anime seems to incorporate some characters just to throw in token service to fans of the game.

What you're experiencing is a feelign remaining because you don't have a reading steiner

your only hope is to see those other routes by playing the game once you're done with the anime :)

That's what I'm planning to do eventually. I'm not sure when I'll get to it though.

Stiens;Gate 19

Oh Goddamn was
seeing Moeka getting punched in the face by Okabe so satisfying.

But now it looks FB (FaceBook?) is behind all this. So excited to watch the last few episodes.

Death Parade 2
That OP never gets old. Everything got cleared up and confirmed my suspicions. Though it turned out the fault of Decim rather than my understanding of how the system worked. Interesting to see if the show will follow this format in the future or will it go a bit more straightforward now that the audience gets how the games work.

cajunator

Banned
That's what I'm planning to do eventually. I'm not sure when I'll get to it though.

Stiens;Gate 19

Oh Goddamn was
seeing Moeka getting punched in the face by Okabe so satisfying.

But now it looks FB (FaceBook?) is behind all this. So excited to watch the last few episodes.

She is rather unhinged.
Cant wait to see your impressions as the show nears its end!

phaze

Gundam Wing episode 49

My friends doubted that I would make this far, now I have only one thing to say to them:

Mission complete.

lol Congratulations are in order I think. Now watch the movie and tell me if its any good.

Watching some footage from old Yatterman and man, I'm surprised they put it on the kids channel back in the day, with little censorship if I recall. Don't think it would fly nowadays

Jarmel

Banned
Death Parade-2

Well I found this episode to largely be a waste as I interpreted everything correctly last week but I understand why it's needed. I do wish the whole thing had been truncated to take up only half an episode but whatever.

What I find interesting is how absolutely flawed this system is. Arbiters can make wrong calls and they seemingly have to trick people into playing. I can already tell somebody is going to outthink everybody in the show and end up getting reincarnated when they should be voided or they're just going to flat out refuse to play. It's such a weird and imperfect system to be judging someone for essentially eternity.

Oh I liked the direction with the headmistress loli, in that she could be threatening at times and it's clear that she runs a tight ship.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Some little things, but nothing amazing. Apparently the Bayonetta movie sold very well for them; HAL and Index/Railgun did very poorly. Mirai Nikki did poorly, but they'll still be doing a BD set for it. No update on Eva 3.33. They confirmed that they only have the streaming rights to that magical boy anime, and have no idea what Pony Canyon USA has for it. Nothing very interesting.

Edit: On a unrelated note, RightStuf picked up Sketchbook: Full Colors and is giving it a DVD release. I watched this recently and really enjoyed it. Kate was a pretty amazing character.
On the one hand, it's a perfect show for Rightstuf/Nozomi/whatever they call themselves now, on the other hand, no BD release. Dope.

So during the ANNCast for 1/16/2015, ANN conducted an interview with Funimation and a moderator over at Fandom Post who goes by the name WTK summarized the whole thing. Some interesting things here:
Yay, no reason to suffer through Zac. lol

Koufuku Graffiti - 02

TABERU~
All those glorious head tilts. Maybe I need to watch this show. :(

cajunator

Banned
On the one hand, it's a perfect show for Rightstuf/Nozomi/whatever they call themselves now, on the other hand, no BD release. Dope.

Yay, no reason to suffer through Zac. lol

All those glorious head tilts. Maybe I need to watch this show. :(

Yes you need to watch it. Its cute as hell.

Kikirin

I love Faris so much, especially her seiyuu, Halko. But ultimately she wasnt a very important character. I still want figurines of her!

Agreed! I did see a prize figure for her (and Kurisu) in the May Queen uniforms, but it'd be nice to have a new scale version, too...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Incoming 1000 word essay comparing Koufuku Graffiti to Jiro Dreams of Sushi and Iron Chef America.

Assassination Classroom Episode 2: Baseball Time
B7gSx5VCEAAmRX9.png

Maehara is incredible when he smiles, Isogai too. I hope we get an s2 so that Isogai can get his time to shine since his arc is most likely past where chp 22 will adapt especially at this one chapter/two chapter per episode pacing that they got.

Karma kun is gonna be amazing next episode, all his screens look fantastic.

faridmon

Am I the only one who likes Tokyo Ghoul The Anime? granted I haven't read the Manga except for few chapters, but I really like the philosophical commentary they have (while not deep) on What is good and evil.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Am I the only one who likes Tokyo Ghoul The Anime? granted I haven't read the Manga except for few chapters, but I really like the philosophical commentary they have (while not deep) on What is good and evil.

ask aquawateria ( ≖‿≖)

VRMN

To be fair, it never got one in Japan, either. Not saying they would have if it existed, but no HD masters probably removes any possibility.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair, it never got one in Japan, either. Not saying they would have if it existed, but no HD masters probably removes any possibility.
Ahhhh, that's fair enough. Did it air in HD though? I can't remember because it came out in the age where CR didn't completely stamp out fansubbing yet. It'd be funny if the best version available is an old TV broadcast version.

phaze

First season was decent, second one is bad so far.

VRMN

Ahhhh, that's fair enough. Did it air in HD though? I can't remember because it came out in the age where CR didn't completely stamp out fansubbing yet. It'd be funny if the best version available is an old TV broadcast version.

I don't think it aired in HD, honestly. It was in widescreen, but not HD, if I'm remembering correctly. Not 100% positive on that, though.

Clov

I don't think it aired in HD, honestly. It was in widescreen, but not HD, if I'm remembering correctly. Not 100% positive on that, though.

This is just speculation on my part, but it definitely didn't look like it was mastered in HD, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was done entirely in SD. There were still plenty of shows around the time Sketchbook aired that were still SD. In this case, I think I can accept a DVD version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom