• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

It's always good to see someone new picking the monogatari series up nad enjoying it.

Most of us probably get that the whole "good luck watching Nise" thing is getting old, but we continue to mention that because yes, Nisemonogatari does do several things that make it hard to watch. By no means does that instantly make the season bad, but it has several quirks that might put some people off and possibly sour them on the series.

Nise's really infamous for that one scene, so to me it sounds a lot less like parroting and more like an earnest warning that it does have its fair share of weird stuff compared to Bake, and that Second Season luckily drops those things for the most part and is a damn good season. One of its biggest accomplishments was introducing Kaiki and setting him up for that sweet payout in SS.

Although the true winner is Kaiki.

Someone has their priorities straight.

While Nadeko and Hachikuji were used a bit too much as loli bait, I really liked the way the show handled the arcs focused on them in Second Season. I also agree that Sodachi was spectacularily handled for what looks like a one-shot character.

I really like that the kind of girls that surround Araragi is just so varied that they're all good, not only for interacting with Koyomi in their signature ways (ie: Kanbaru being harenchi, Gahara being sarcastic but still showing that she really cares about him), but they can also get into conversations that don't end up overly relying on their basic characterization tropes (ie: when Kanbaru talked to Shinobu in Owari).

Bubuki Buranki give me Kill la Kill feeling.
And as a 2 cour show, the story moving speed is really fast.

Bubuki Buranki - 02

I think this would have worked a lot better as a season halfway point or something, after the show had spent some time actually introducing the characters and their motivations and all that.
Halfway point? nah it's more like 12 episodes for other shows, make me wonder what are they going to do in next 22 episodes.

duckroll

I don't understand why you would feel that it is moving too fast. It's not really moving at all. Essentially after two whole episodes, nothing has happened at all. Sure, they got a mech and fought someone. They didn't win. They didn't learn anything. They didn't change anything. They ran away. Every villain is still alive. The status quo has not changed. All the mysteries are still vague concepts. The "team" still doesn't really work well together. We know nothing about any of their backgrounds or anything other than throwaway lines they shout during confrontations. It's just a reset.

Russ T

Banned
Honestly, Bake was hard to rewatch when I finally got around to watching the whole series earlier last year. I loved it when I watched it like right after it originally aired, but then revisiting it, I almost dropped the whole thing, and would have had a friend not talked me into continuing.

Araragi's a pervert from episode one, and it never stops. Nise might ramp it up some, but it's just an exaggeration of what's already there. It's absolutely the worst of the series, as far as Perverted Creep Araragi goes, but it's hardly out of character. Sure, he always tries to help people, and he's not a bad guy at his core, but he's a creepy motherfucker.

Realizing that Monogatari is actually about everyone else and Araragi is basically a foil for their growth and development was a huge step in allowing me to appreciate the series for what it is, rather than being put off because it's not what I wanted.

I don't understand why you would feel that it is moving too fast. It's not really moving at all. Essentially after two whole episodes, nothing has happened at all. Sure, they got a mech and fought someone. They didn't win. They didn't learn anything. They didn't change anything. They ran away. Every villain is still alive. The status quo has not changed. All the mysteries are still vague concepts. The "team" still doesn't really work well together. We know nothing about any of their backgrounds or anything other than throwaway lines they shout during confrontations. It's just a reset.

That's the point, they kinda beat the boss and leave, 1st cour ended! but the evil is not dead yet, 2nd cour about to start in next week!

Btw hope the train in OP actual show up in the show.

duckroll

That's the point, they kinda beat the boss and leave, 1st cour ended! but the evil is not dead yet, 2nd cour about to start in next week!

Btw hope the train in OP actual show up in the show.

But they didn't. It's not a climatic encounter. That's why the writing on the show is so transparently insulting. There is -no- meaning to anything in the show so far. They didn't go looking for the boss to make a challenge and defeat her. They just... got into a robot, and the boss showed up to kill them. They punched the boss hard enough so they could get away and not get killed. That's all that happened. It's "cool" action which has zero actual narrative purpose behind it.

TUSR

Banned
oh wow monogatari talk this early in the morning

kTCyGBv.jpg

sodachi was great

shinobu, and hanekawa >>>

Ascheroth

But they didn't. It's not a climatic encounter. That's why the writing on the show is so transparently insulting. There is -no- meaning to anything in the show so far. They didn't go looking for the boss to make a challenge and defeat her. They just... got into a robot, and the boss showed up to kill them. They punched the boss hard enough so they could get away and not get killed. That's all that happened. It's "cool" action which has zero actual narrative purpose behind it.

I think what he (and I) meant isn't that this exact episode should happen at the end of the season, but an ecounter like this should only have happened after the show actually spent some time on their characters and motivations, etc.

Basically, you are right that it had no meaning. And that's exactly why it only should have happenend once it actually could have been meaningful.

Sorry for not agreeing what you said but for me it is.
The reason is not really that matter for me, they did it so there it is.
Though if they make it just a non-stop action show and i will be happily to treat it like MV while watching.

pbayne

Buranki 2

I enjoy the visual spectacle of this but holy mother of god whats happening with everything?

It feels the show jumped from episode 1 to episode 26. Blonde kid's exposition was some of the worst dialogue you'll ever witness.

What sort of audience are you trying to reach with Under the Dog?

Ishii: As I mentioned earlier, we'd like to reach out to those of you around the world who love Japanese animation from the 90's. While I think the anime in the 2000's and 2010's are also great and fantastic, I'd like to cater to those who loved AKIRA and Ghost in the Shell from the 90's as well – something of a revival of the old school Japanese anime.

Ishii please go.

duckroll

What sort of audience are you trying to reach with Under the Dog?

Ishii: As I mentioned earlier, I'll say anything people want to hear because that will make them want to give me money. Isn't that cool? I'm cool. It's cool. Let's COOL JAPAN!

Fixed.

JulianImp

Does Galko really need an intro music. Show is already 7 mins short

From what I've seen, all miniseries have at least an OP or and ED. What I didn't like was how the second episode spent time introducing the three girls yet again, since it left even less time for the actual episode and felt like a pretty pointless thing to do again.

Russ T

Banned
I'm about one third of the way through Steins;Gate, after starting this morning (well I watched the first episode a month or so ago, I dunno).

Why did no one tell me this is good??

Okarin's personality and mannerisms are the best. What a nutjob. I love it.

The Monogatari series is just...like, everybody has that one book or show or movie or game or whatever that they really want to like and they KNOW it's a good piece of media and that it's doing a lot of interesting things but for whatever reason they just can't get into it.

Monogatari is that for me.

I've tried watching Bake 4 fucking times and I've never gotten past episode 6. I've fallen asleep innumerable times. I've found myself midway through an episode on my phone not paying attention without realizing I did it. I try to space it out so I don't glut myself on it. And it just doesn't work. Every time by episode 6 or so I just give up. Which is what it is, you can't force yourself to like something. But it is sorta depressing I just can't get into this really wonderful series.

I don't even know why it doesn't click with me. I also find it amusing that I liked Katanagatari just fine.

Qurupeke

I'm about one third of the way through Steins;Gate, after starting this morning (well I watched the first episode a month or so ago, I dunno).

Isn't it common knowledge that this is one of the best animes out there? lol

pbayne

Isn't it common knowledge?

Its one of the shows that I take for granted and just kind of assume most people have seen.

JulianImp

The Monogatari series is just...like, everybody has that one book or show or movie or game or whatever that they really want to like and they KNOW it's a good piece of media and that it's doing a lot of interesting things but for whatever reason they just can't get into it.

Monogatari is that for me.

I've tried watching Bake 4 fucking times and I've never gotten past episode 6. I've fallen asleep innumerable times. I've found myself midway through an episode on my phone not paying attention without realizing I did it. I try to space it out so I don't glut myself on it. And it just doesn't work. Every time by episode 6 or so I just give up. Which is what it is, you can't force yourself to like something. But it is sorta depressing I just can't get into this really wonderful series.

I don't even know why it doesn't click with me. I also find it amusing that I liked Katanagatari just fine.

Yeah, that happens sometimes. There's no need to force yourself through Monogatari if you aren't feeling it, regardless of what other people think about it. It's kind of like how I just can't bring myself to appreciate graphic adventures for some strange reason, how a friend of mine can't stomach sitting through musicals at all or how a different friend can appreciate visual novels but doesn't humor the thought of going through one.

Ascheroth

Durararara X2 26

That scene between Anri, Izaya and Erika was greeeat. Man, Izaya is the best.
And now
Celtys head
is out in the open. This final season is great.

I'm trying to play through the Steins;Gate VN right now, and have a difficult time working up the motivation to continue due to Okabe. He has the worst sort of chuuni personality and his absurdly melodramatic voice acting makes me want to strangle him.

Qurupeke

I'm trying to play through the Steins;Gate VN right now, and have a difficult time working up the motivation to continue due to Okabe. He has the worst sort of chuuni personality and his absurdly melodramatic voice acting makes me want to strangle him.

Whaaaaat. :( I haven't played Steins;Gate(still waiting for it to be on Steam... ) but he was the best character in the anime. I'm not sure if I'd call him chuuni, but he was surely eccentric, and that's why I liked him.

His character is played mostly for comedic effect early on. If you don't care for that, he does change quite a bit once the story turns serious.

manfestival

Just got to episode 18 of he second season of Fafner and man... this show is really good but the feels in that last episode. Kinda wish I had learned about this show sooner. I really enjoyed the first show despite it never seeming to catch on and I really do hope that this show gets more traction in the future. Hopefully even some in the west.

Russ T

Banned
I could see myself being annoyed by his melodramatic voice acting if the art/animation wasn't up to snuff. He's absolutely my favorite character in the anime, but a lot of that has to do with the way he moves, not just the way he talks. It all works to make him seem like a totally eccentric mad man. (With a bit of an empathetic side that he obviously doesn't want other people to know about.)

But then I don't really know what "chuuni" means. U:

Just got to episode 18 of he second season of Fafner and man... this show is really good but the feels in that last episode. Kinda wish I had learned about this show sooner. I really enjoyed the first show despite it never seeming to catch on and I really do hope that this show gets more traction in the future. Hopefully even some in the west.
If someone ever picks up Exodus. :(

I could see myself being annoyed by his melodramatic voice acting if the art/animation wasn't up to snuff. He's absolutely my favorite character in the anime, but a lot of that has to do with the way he moves, not just the way he talks. It all works to make him seem like a totally eccentric mad man. (With a bit of an empathetic side that he obviously doesn't want other people to know about.)

But then I don't really know what "chuuni" means. U:

But the art is the worst thing about White Fox's adaptation.

Andrew J.

Durarara!! X2 The Third Arc Episode 26 – Bell the Cat
CY2rPFlWYAAexja.png

That Mahouka.

Izaya Anri scene was one of the few scenes that I could tear my head away from the tv from. She couldnt do nothing and he was oh so right.

Why does everyone have to undermine Izaya like that continuously ! :( Cant he be happy for once?!

Come on, you know he planned on (maybe even counted on) something like that happening.

3Kaze

Speaking of White Fox, they suck. The latest Utawarerumono looked like garbage and direction was weak for what should have been the best episode yet.

Okabe's chuuni side is actually one of the few chuuni personalities I can actually tolerate.

Because other than it being used for comedic purposes, it's also a decent part of his character. He uses it to hide the fact that he's getting more and more freaked out about what they're doing with the time travel shenanigans and he doesn't want people knowing it or getting suspicious.

Most chuuni MCs just go "LOOK AT ME IM THE DARK FLAME MASTER" the whole show and have literally nothing else to them.

Speaking of White Fox, they suck. The latest Utawarerumono looked like garbage and direction was weak for what should have been the best episode yet.

What is particular looked like garbage? I didn't notice anything when I watched it this morning. No CGI Woptars, at the least.

Edit: It didn't look bad compared to the original Utawarerumono series, is what I mean. The CGI wasn't absurdly distracting and justifiable considering how many moving pieces they had on screen.

I'll admit it wasn't as exciting as the build up though.

DRRRRRRRR's only glaring problem is that the doctor character fucking exists and is in a relationship with Celty.

God he is such an incredibly shitty character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom